BMW
X1 / X2
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW X1 (F48) and X2 (F39) Forums General BMW X1 Forum (F48) Boot sound insulation/thermal pad

08-07-2020, 01:49 PM   #1
elite0708
Rep
Drives: BMW X1

Boot sound insulation/thermal pad

Hey guys, just found out that there was an oil spillage in the boot of our 2018 X1 by the previous owner, (which they conveniently didn't mention) which we only discovered because it started smelling really bad in the heat.

I took the boot well liner out and found this (see pic). I've had to remove the padding that was stuck to the bottom of the boot well to clean up all the remaining old oil, but now need to replace it before refitting the bootwell liner.

Any ideas on what I can search for? I don't mind buying generic stuff on ebay and cutting it to size, but I have no idea what I'm searching for! Realoem doesn't seem to show the right part, but perhaps I'm not looking in the right place. Any help would be much appreciated! Thank you!
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      08-07-2020, 02:26 PM   #2
CliveL
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2016 X1 F48 xDrive20i xLine

You could probably use the "sound deadening mat" for audio installations which you'll find plenty of on eBay and similar. That's a fairly dense rubber self-adhesive sheet that can be cut and shaped. I'm not sure if the matting in your photo is rubbery or foam-like though?
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2020, 02:58 PM   #3
elite0708
Rep
Drives: BMW X1

Thanks for the reply mate! It's been soaked in oil so its hard to tell because its actually completely disintegrated, but I think it's a type of foamy material, but it's got a smooth matt finish. Quite difficult to describe actually! I wasn't sure what the purpose of these pads were in the boot, but I'd imagine they could well be sound deadening mats based on what you said.
Appreciate 0