BMW
X1 / X2
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW X1 (F48) and X2 (F39) Forums General BMW X1 Forum (F48) All Season non run flat tyres as an option on new build X1.

08-02-2020, 12:27 AM   #23
Xorbitman
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW X1

I read so many negative reviews on the run flats that when I removed them in late January 2019 when we got the her, I had to put winter tires on as a law here in the province of Quebec, (we live in Montreal) so when spring came around I found only a few brands of aftermarket wheels that fit the X1 bolt pattern and hub and ended up getting a set of 19" rims and Toyo performance summer low profile tires. So smooth and yet quiet and the stick the road like glue. I love the ride and my run flats are sitting in my shed waiting to see if I sell them or what I decide in 2.5 years. Run flats have been know to explode especially on bad roads, they're also noisy and don't perform well. I bought a compressed air / tire fix bottle that I keep in the trunk and no spare. In 8 years of driving my other car, I only had 1 flat and I called CAA (AAA) to get it done anyway. BTW the Toyos are easy to get and are very reasonably priced and perform exceptionally well and last long.
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2020, 03:10 AM   #24
Peter_R
Air Vice Marshall
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X1 LCI xDrive 2.0i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xorbitman View Post
I read so many negative reviews on the run flats that when I removed them in late January 2019 when we got the her, I had to put winter tires on as a law here in the province of Quebec, (we live in Montreal) so when spring came around I found only a few brands of aftermarket wheels that fit the X1 bolt pattern and hub and ended up getting a set of 19" rims and Toyo performance summer low profile tires. So smooth and yet quiet and the stick the road like glue. I love the ride and my run flats are sitting in my shed waiting to see if I sell them or what I decide in 2.5 years. Run flats have been know to explode especially on bad roads, they're also noisy and don't perform well. I bought a compressed air / tire fix bottle that I keep in the trunk and no spare. In 8 years of driving my other car, I only had 1 flat and I called CAA (AAA) to get it done anyway. BTW the Toyos are easy to get and are very reasonably priced and perform exceptionally well and last long.
Xorbitman
Thanks for your input. I do appreciate it, but I do not wish to stray too far from my original questions that I have edited see below.

Please be advised the reason for starting this thread is to gather information such that UK customers do not get penalized if there are warranty implications and follow up claims with the car's transmission components when running all season cross climate tyres that are not BMW * rated that are made to the same exacting standard as BMW * rated ones. I hope you understand where I am coming from?

Edited.
My Questions!

1. Has anyone anywhere in the world other than the US or Canada received a new build X1 or X2 factory order vehicle, delivered with 18" 225/50 R18 W (99) ALL-SEASON (coss climate) non-run flats.

2. For US and Canadian F48 X1 drivers only. If you had 18" 225/50 R18 W (99) ALL-SEASON (cross climate) non-run flat tyres fitted to a newly supplied factory-built vehicle, who manufactured them? Michelin, Continental, Pirelli?

Many thanks.
2020 BMW X1 xDrive 2.0i MSport (F48).
2022 MB EQB 300 4MATIC AMG Line Premium

Last edited by Peter_R; 08-02-2020 at 03:30 AM..
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2020, 02:34 PM   #25
RobinLegin
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW X1 Xline 2i petrol

Hi Peter,
Just beginning to wonder if you have a connection with BMW as an employee or motorsport in some way?
BMW seem keen to support tyres specific to models, and I am just wanting to reduce the cabin noise when I change the tyres next! Getting more confused now!
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2020, 02:48 PM   #26
Peter_R
Air Vice Marshall
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobinLegin View Post
Hi Peter,
Just beginning to wonder if you have a connection with BMW as an employee or motorsport in some way?
BMW seem keen to support tyres specific to models, and I am just wanting to reduce the cabin noise when I change the tyres next! Getting more confused now!
No, I do not have any connection with BMW! Yours is not the only thought /request doing the rounds There are others on another forum (BMWLand) who wish to fit Cross Climate tyres that are also not run-flats and will be quiet. I am hoping to write to BMW engineering to ask them to allow Non-run-flats that are not BMW * rated on the X1 without jeopardising the warranty on the transmission. I do not wish to get involved in a lengthy debate on this subject on this forum as I have already got the majority of information from this forum and from another friend that will assist me greatly when I write to BMW.

Last edited by Peter_R; 08-02-2020 at 02:58 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2020, 06:21 PM   #27
ttimbo
Major
Rep
Drives: F48 X1 25i AW; F20 M135i AW

As I said above, in other markets (eg, Australia), it is difficult, if not impossible, to purchase replacement tyres that have the BMW asterisk. Provided the tyres meet the size/weight/speed rating specified by BMW on the car's tyre placard, I think BMW would have great difficulty in voiding any warranty claims under either national consumer laws or common law; in fact, I'd doubt they'd even try because any such attempt would require them to prove some causation between the tyre and any subsequent damage BMW claims is due to the tyre — notoriously difficult, costly and always subject to adverse publicity.

EDIT: I'll be interested to hear whether you get any definitive response from BMW on this; as indicated above, regardless of what the engineers may think, the response would likely be a matter for BMW's legal department, and — based on experience — corporate legal departments are reluctant even to offer "written permission" for even the most trivial requests 😢
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2020, 01:44 AM   #28
Peter_R
Air Vice Marshall
United Kingdom
Rep

ttimbo
Thanks for your comment! My thoughts exactly. I am under no illusion that I will get a definitive result from BMW. I am just beavering away try to assist like-minded people on this subject because it will also be relevant to me from next month on. Especially where on one continent (USA) they recommend in an ordering brochure an all-season tyre and then in the UK they do not have such a recommendation in the form of a BMW* rated tyre. I am hoping to do this in a polite way. To assist in this my dealer has provided me with the email address of the correct department in the BMW organization.
Appreciate 1
ttimbo281.50
      08-05-2020, 02:58 AM   #29
bmwforme
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2023 X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_R View Post
@bmwforme. Please clarify.

1. Do these 225/50 R18 W (99) tyres have BMW * rating on the sidewalls?

2. How many miles and state what you mean by "absolute flaming hot trash"?

Thank you kindly
Will have to circle back on #1

On #2, see my review below

”These stock Conti tires are trash. Wheel hop, bump steer, whatever you want to call it - terrible. I live in NYC and the roads are pretty abysmal. While hitting bumps at highway speed on curves, the car regularly slides across the lane. Basically sliding to the outside of the turn while the car recovers from the bounce. No issues with bumps while going straight. I blame the tires as this is a brand new car so I really can't imagine it had suspension issues right out of the gate. Will look into replacing these later this summer.”
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2020, 03:23 AM   #30
Peter_R
Air Vice Marshall
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwforme View Post

”These stock Conti tires are trash. Wheel hop, bump steer, whatever you want to call it - terrible. I live in NYC and the roads are pretty abysmal. While hitting bumps at highway speed on curves, the car regularly slides across the lane. Basically sliding to the outside of the turn while the car recovers from the bounce. No issues with bumps while going straight. I blame the tires as this is a brand new car so I really can't imagine it had suspension issues right out of the gate. Will look into replacing these later this summer.”
Thanks for the description! I would contend that no matter what tyre you had on the car the ride would be exactly the same given your description of the road surface. You are describing the handling of the car, not the tyre compound.
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2020, 12:44 AM   #31
ttimbo
Major
Rep
Drives: F48 X1 25i AW; F20 M135i AW

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwforme View Post
Quote:
@bmwforme. Please clarify.

1. Do these 225/50 R18 W (99) tyres have BMW * rating on the sidewalls?

2. How many miles and state what you mean by "absolute flaming hot trash"?

Thank you kindly

I'd also recommend checking tyre pressures and getting a good wheel alignment
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2020, 09:02 AM   #32
mustardman
Rep
Drives: 2017 X1

Quote:
1. Has anyone anywhere in the world other than the US or Canada received a new build X1 or X2 factory order vehicle, delivered with 18" 225/50 R18 W (99) ALL-SEASON (coss climate) non-run flats.

2. For US and Canadian F48 X1 drivers only. If you had 18" 225/50 R18 W (99) ALL-SEASON (cross climate) non-run flat tyres fitted to a newly supplied factory-built vehicle, who manufactured them? Michelin, Continental, Pirelli?

Many thanks.
My Canadian 2017 X1 was factory-ordered with non-run-flat all-seasons and came with Pirelli Cinturato P7 All Season tires. Pirelli makes these in both run-flat and non-run-flat versions for the OEM market. Not to be confused with the Pirelli Cinturato P7 All Season Plus, which are an aftermarket tire and perform significantly better than the OEM version (quieter, better tread life, better wet traction.) I've driven the AS+ tires before on my previous vehicle; they were pretty decent. The OEM version are kind of mediocre; more road noise than the more common AS+. I can't imagine how bad the run flat versions must be.

The 2017 models, when factory-ordered with non RFT tires, gave you a spare tire kit as a no extra cost option. It was just a straight swap. Now it seems you pay extra to get the spare.
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2020, 09:16 AM   #33
mustardman
Rep

I went to Tire Rack and screenshotted the ratings from the different P7 versions and photoshopped them into one graphic. Ignore the comparison rating within the category because they're listed in different categories, and the AS+ isn't even available in the stock 225/50/18 size. But really reinforces how different the OEM tire is from the retail version.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      08-06-2020, 12:24 PM   #34
Peter_R
Air Vice Marshall
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mustardman View Post
My Canadian 2017 X1 was factory-ordered with non-run-flat all-seasons and came with Pirelli Cinturato P7 All Season tires. Pirelli makes these in both run-flat and non-run-flat versions for the OEM market. Not to be confused with the Pirelli Cinturato P7 All Season Plus, which are an aftermarket tire and perform significantly better than the OEM version (quieter, better tread life, better wet traction.) I've driven the AS+ tires before on my previous vehicle; they were pretty decent. The OEM version are kind of mediocre; more road noise than the more common AS+. I can't imagine how bad the run flat versions must be.

The 2017 models, when factory-ordered with non RFT tires, gave you a spare tire kit as a no extra cost option. It was just a straight swap. Now it seems you pay extra to get the spare.

There is no such thing as an OEM tyre for BMW! BMW purchase job lots (just the same as other car assembly plants do) as they need them directly from the tyre manufacturers at a negotiated price, depending on what is available at the time. It is called "Just in time" for assembly line building. That is why some cars come with Pirelli then the next month it might be Continental or Michelin. It is all about availability and price and profit margins.

Furthermore and it happens continuously, tyre manufacturers slightly change the specification of a tyre material for various reasons(testing) and instead of giving them a completely new name because the tread pattern is identical, they just change the name slightly. In the case with the Pirelli they just add + (plus). Also, confusingly, both types may well be available to purchase at the same time. They might well say the + (Plus) tyre is better and so charge more for it.

Additionally, not all tyre outlets have a full range of tyres available to them from all manufacturers. Mainly because their inventories would be enormous if they did. Some outlets will concentrate on certain manufactures products to the detriment of others, and work on purchasing a lot of tyres of certain size and hence get a good price thereby making their business more profitable.

Edited
Now if you really want to be confused as to what Pirelli market in the US, look at this link:
https://www.pirelli.com/tires/en-us/...son/all-season

Last edited by Peter_R; 08-06-2020 at 01:45 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2020, 02:20 PM   #35
mustardman
Rep

The Pirelli Cinturato P7 All Season is an 'OEM' tire. Pirelli sells it primarily to car manufacturers and not as a retail tire. Most retail stores and tire supply companies only have the AS+ available. I can't even get the AS unless I go to the dealer.

As someone that has driven both the P7 AS and the P7 AS+, I can tell you they are different. While the tread pattern is the same, the tire compound is not the same. Even the initial tread depth is not the same.

I didn't say this was the only tire that came with the F48's. It was what came with mine.
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2020, 02:43 PM   #36
Peter_R
Air Vice Marshall
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mustardman View Post
The Pirelli Cinturato P7 All Season is an 'OEM' tire. Pirelli sells it primarily to car manufacturers and not as a retail tire. Most retail stores and tire supply companies only have the AS+ available. I can't even get the AS unless I go to the dealer.

As someone that has driven both the P7 AS and the P7 AS+, I can tell you they are different. While the tread pattern is the same, the tire compound is not the same. Even the initial tread depth is not the same.

I didn't say this was the only tire that came with the F48's. It was what came with mine.
As I previously stated, there is no such thing as an OEM tyre. That would be ludicrous with BMW. A production line for one type and for different sizes and there are many. No chance, the logistics in every sense of the word would be a nightmare. All tyre manufacturers have tyres that have been homologated. If you look through the link/list I posted, you will see this applies to many European manufacturers including Volvo, Mercedes, Audi and BMW.

Note. Again look at the list. There is the following available to all:
See the catalog https://www.pirelli.com/tires/en-us/...son/all-season

The CINTURATO P7™ ALL SEASON
The CINTURATO™ P7™ ALL SEASON PLUS
The CINTURATO P7™ ALL SEASON PLUS II
The CINTURATO™ STRADA ALL SEASON

It is not relevant whether or not they fit the X1. The point is they are all available for purchase for all vehicle manufacturers and customers such as you and me. The reason I am aware of this is that all this work I am putting into this is so I am able to carry on my discussions with BMW UK concerning getting a tyre type BMW * rated (homulgated) in the UK. A letter has been sent and I wait for their reply. I will not be holding my breath.

Thank you

Last edited by Peter_R; 08-08-2020 at 10:36 AM..
Appreciate 0