BMW
X1 / X2
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums Off-Topic Discussions Board The official "Ask a cop/deputy anything!" thread

10-02-2022, 02:10 PM   #6865
Murf the Surf
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Porsche 993

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sedan_Clan View Post
I consider the lateral move on a weekly basis.
I was watching the ad and my wife asked if I wanted to sign up. Sometimes I really miss the job.
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2022, 02:11 PM   #6866
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep
Drives: '22 Chalk Gray Porsche C2S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murf the Surf View Post
Quote:
I consider the lateral move on a weekly basis.
I was watching the ad and my wife asked if I wanted to sign up. Sometimes I really miss the job.
Wifey is truly supportive. You've got a good one.

Appreciate 1
      10-02-2022, 02:17 PM   #6867
Murf the Surf
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Wifey is truly supportive. You've got a good one.

She put up with the job and my boyish charm.
Appreciate 1
Sedan_Clan24817.00
      10-02-2022, 02:36 PM   #6868
Lady Jane
Cailín gan eagla.
Rep
Drives: 2024 X3 M40i and R1200RT bike.

Quote:
She put up with the job and my boyish charm.
I need to talk to her...
Appreciate 3
jamesinaz1627.00
UncleWede17874.00
      10-02-2022, 05:28 PM   #6869
Tyga11
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: M4 Comp

I bought a cop Starbucks this morning. He was behind me in line.
Appreciate 3
Sedan_Clan24817.00
Lady Jane68879.00
      10-02-2022, 05:30 PM   #6870
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyga11 View Post
I bought a cop Starbucks this morning. He was behind me in line.
I can assure you he appreciated that. Good on you brotha!

Appreciate 1
      10-02-2022, 05:32 PM   #6871
Murf the Surf
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:

There are no words to express the feeling you get when a member of the public offers a small acknowledgment of the job done by LEO.
Appreciate 2
Sedan_Clan24817.00
paquet629.50
      10-02-2022, 05:33 PM   #6872
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

There are no words to express the feeling you get when a member of the public offers a small acknowledgment of the job done by LEO.
Absolutely! I couldn't have said it any better.
Appreciate 1
      10-02-2022, 05:44 PM   #6873
Murf the Surf
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Absolutely! I couldn't have said it any better.
The police get precious little recognition in Canada, I wouldn't often tell people what I did for a living, I'd tell people I was a garbage man.....not far from the truth in some respect. I was in the US and was chatting with some Americans in a bar if you can believe it. I was with my friend who would always chirp off about me being a cop. Anyway these folks didn't miss a beat and said "thank you for your service". I can't tell you how good that made me feel.

You almost never hear that in Canada.
Appreciate 4
Sedan_Clan24817.00
vreihen1614886.50
paquet629.50
      10-03-2022, 12:47 AM   #6874
NealfromNZ
Lieutenant
New Zealand
Rep
Drives: 2016 F80 M3

You guys and girls must see some funny things whilst working.

What's the funniest encounter you've had or seen
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2022, 08:53 AM   #6875
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by NealfromNZ View Post

Hmmmm. Well, I've lost count…..

….but a buffed out, naked and sweaty 6'4" black male high on PCP with a legit 10" schlong dancing around in the middle of the street with that thing dangling around, gyrating like a helicopter is pretty funny……

…..until it was time to go hands-on.
Appreciate 7
Dino GT35121.00
scostu1619.50
vreihen1614886.50
rwheels7066.50
      10-03-2022, 11:03 AM   #6876
Fly320s
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: Car

Garage List
2020 BMW M2C  [5.50]
Quote:

….but a buffed out, naked and sweaty 6'4" black male high on PCP with a legit 10" schlong dancing around in the middle of the street with that thing dangling around, gyrating like a helicopter is pretty funny……

You should have asked for volunteers. I bet that is someone's kink.
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2022, 11:09 AM   #6877
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fly320s View Post
Quote:

You should have asked for volunteers. I bet that is someone's kink.
Way back when this particular situation happened, I was a patrol trainee. It was my handle. Lol! All of the Training Officer's at the time giggled and said, "Go get'em Sedan. He's all yours!"
Appreciate 3
Dino GT35121.00
      10-03-2022, 11:14 AM   #6878
zx10guy
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2013 135i

What the hell is wrong with dispatch? Also curious as to Sedan's take on the decision to shoot by one of the officers.

Appreciate 0
      10-03-2022, 11:35 AM   #6879
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by zx10guy View Post
What the hell is wrong with dispatch? Also curious as to Sedan's take on the decision to shoot by one of the officers.

Actually, dispatch handled it properly. Allow me to explain.

I have known Commander Mah since he was a Sergeant; I know the dispatcher as well. When somebody calls with a service request like what was depicted in the audio, the 415B (..disturbance: business) and the 925 (…suspicious person(s)) radio codes are what we utilize. It was a non-emergent call. I know the informant thought it was an urgent call, but by law enforcement standards, it was not [based on the information he provided]. If he were in immediate danger or the person threatened him, that would change the call to a priority or emergent call. Temple Station is one of our East Patrol Division stations; they are not far from the station I patrol out of. The dispatcher also advising there wasn't an exact ETA is just the reality. We are all short staffed and priority/emergent calls are handled first. I don't know the history of the caller, but the fact that he was calling to speak with the Watch Commander tells me that he probably calls regularly. The station likely has frequent interactions with him. Take from that what you'd like.

Now, I could Monday morning quarterback the shooting all day because I would've handled it a bit differently, but the shooting was justified. If it were me, I would've immediately pulled him out of the vehicle and detained him. That's not to say it would've prevented the shooting, but I surely wouldn't have given up position at the B-pillar multiple times. The male Hispanic adult in the driver's seat had no identification, was blasted (…tatted all over his head, arms and neck), and was fidgety and constantly looking/moving around. That's an immediate red flag.
Appreciate 2
zx10guy5139.00
      10-03-2022, 11:46 AM   #6880
Murf the Surf
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:

I have known Commander Mah since he was a Sergeant; I know the dispatcher as well. When somebody calls with a service request like what was depicted in the audio, the 415B (..disturbance: business) and the 925 (…suspicious person(s)) radio codes are what we utilize. It was a non-emergent call. I know the informant thinks it's an urgent call, but by law enforcement standards, it is not [based on the information he provided]. If he were in immediate danger or the person threatened him, that would change the call to a priority or emergent call. Temple Station is one of our East Patrol Division stations; they are not far from the station I patrol out of. The dispatcher also advising there wasn't an exact ETA is just the reality. We are all short staffed and priority/emergent calls are handled first. I don't know the history of the caller, but the fact that he's calling asking for the Watch Commander tells me that he probably calls regularly. The station likely has frequent interactions with him. Take from that what you'd like.

Now, I could Monday morning quarterback the shooting all day because I would've handled it a bit differently, but the shooting was justified. If it were me, I would've immediately pulled him out of the vehicle and detained him. That's not to say it would've prevented the shooting, but I surely wouldn't have given up position at the B-pillar multiple times. The male Hispanic adult in the driver's seat had no identification, was blasted (…tatted all over his head, arms and neck), and was fidgety and constantly looking/moving around. That's an immediate red flag.
Agreed, the decision to remove the client from the car varies from officer to officer and you are right about you observations of the gentleman in the drivers seat. It's safe to say that the gun would've been in play regardless of when he was taken out of the car.
Appreciate 1
Sedan_Clan24817.00
      10-03-2022, 11:51 AM   #6881
Murf the Surf
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:

Lot's of hilarious stories, some that LEO might find funny members of the public might not. We had a rounder named Ernie C..... He was on a disability pension and when his check came in he'd go on a few day bender. I got a call for a guy doing a war dance with a tomahawk in the middle of the intersection of Keele & Eglinton when I worked in 12 Division. I knew it was a few days after pension check day so I told the dispatcher it was probably Ernie.

3 scout cars arrived, this was in the winter, snow on the ground and as I roll up Ernie is shirtless and shoeless wearing an indian headdress and dancing with a tomahawk. Ernie could be a bit violent sometimes, but I managed to talk him into putting the tomahawk down. He spent the night in the Bullpen and got a happy meal out of the deal.

You'd regularly see Ernie at court and he'd be sitting in the hall outside waiting for his case, often singing I fought the law and the law won.
Appreciate 3
Sedan_Clan24817.00
paquet629.50
      10-03-2022, 11:57 AM   #6882
zx10guy
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2013 135i

Quote:

I have known Commander Mah since he was a Sergeant; I know the dispatcher as well. When somebody calls with a service request like what was depicted in the audio, the 415B (..disturbance: business) and the 925 (…suspicious person(s)) radio codes are what we utilize. It was a non-emergent call. I know the informant thinks it's an urgent call, but by law enforcement standards, it is not [based on the information he provided]. If he were in immediate danger or the person threatened him, that would change the call to a priority or emergent call. Temple Station is one of our East Patrol Division stations; they are not far from the station I patrol out of. The dispatcher also advising there wasn't an exact ETA is just the reality. We are all short staffed and priority/emergent calls are handled first. I don't know the history of the caller, but the fact that he's calling asking for the Watch Commander tells me that he probably calls regularly. The station likely has frequent interactions with him. Take from that what you'd like.

Thanks for the commentary and clarification.
Appreciate 1
Sedan_Clan24817.00
      10-03-2022, 12:06 PM   #6883
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

Lot's of hilarious stories, some that LEO might find funny members of the public might not. We had a rounder named Ernie C..... He was on a disability pension and when his check came in he'd go on a few day bender. I got a call for a guy doing a war dance with a tomahawk in the middle of the intersection of Keele & Eglinton when I worked in 12 Division. I knew it was a few days after pension check day so I told the dispatcher it was probably Ernie.

3 scout cars arrived, this was in the winter, snow on the ground and as I roll up Ernie is shirtless and shoeless wearing an indian headdress and dancing with a tomahawk. Ernie could be a bit violent sometimes, but I managed to talk him into putting the tomahawk down. He spent the night in the Bullpen and got a happy meal out of the deal.

You'd regularly see Ernie at court and he'd be sitting in the hall outside waiting for his case, often singing I fought the law and the law won.
I would've loved to have seen Ernie in his full get-up.

Appreciate 1
      10-03-2022, 04:08 PM   #6884
rwheels
Major
Rep
Drives: E93 M3

Quote:

Would you admit it, if you touched "it"?

On a different note, who is the most famous person you have arrested? That is if you can name them. (Karens do not count)
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2022, 04:11 PM   #6885
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwheels View Post
Quote:

Would you admit it, if you touched "it"?
I think it touched me.

Real talk though, I'm glad he didn't flip out and fight. The dude was pretty massive. He could've easily walked on a physique stage and placed.
Appreciate 2
rwheels7066.50
      10-04-2022, 03:21 AM   #6886
NealfromNZ
Lieutenant
New Zealand
Rep
Drives: 2016 F80 M3

Quote:

That’s funny as

I was in Australia on a conference, went out to the local city bars and we finished up at about 2am. Walking back through the city. Two Aussie blokes pi$$ed as chooks are walking through the mall with underpants around their shoes. They walkout across the road between mall segments straight passed a police cruiser with male & female cops inside.

The cops just laugh and the guys carry on walking. Good to see they could see the funny side and didn’t act.
Appreciate 2
Sedan_Clan24817.00