BMW
X1 / X2
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums Off-Topic Discussions Board Do you like Las Vegas?

10-03-2022, 12:02 AM   #23
dreamingat30fps
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Miata, Cayenne, Model 3, F350

I have not been in a long time. Back around 2006-2008 I use to go once a year for work and typically another few days for vacation. It was alright. Since I don't really care for gambling we would just go eat and see some of the shows. It was still pretty expensive back then so I don't want to imagine how it is now.

Not really my vibe, but for people who have money to burn and like the crowds and fancy restaurants and stuff... I don't see what's not to like. If there was something going on I would not be opposed to going back, but not a place I would return to just because.
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2022, 06:23 AM   #24
540iSUP
Captain
Rep
Drives: G30, E36

I guess my experience is different being that my Sister-in-Law and now my parents live there. Been there plenty of times as a kid and of course in my 20s. The last time I was there was this past May for EDC. I'm turning 40 in 2 weeks, but I still like to party every now and then, only this time I make enough to go VIP and thoroughly enjoy the space and privacy of it. I don't like the strip at all and I mostly stay in the Summerlin area. If you get away from most of the tourists on the strip, its not bad.

The thing that is super annoying in Vegas is the driving style. On the freeway, everyone seems to drive super slow in every single lane and they don't care to move over.

So I guess if you're going to Vegas and staying on the Strip, the experience isn't the same as it used to be. If you get off the Strip and do what the locals do, you'll have a good time.
Appreciate 1
F32Fleet3566.00
      10-03-2022, 07:36 AM   #25
floridaorange
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 bmw 320i xdrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfisti View Post
Never been and no desire to go, seemed like it was good 20 years ago then got stupid expensive. Miami burnt me bad, i should have known better than to go, it was exactly as i suspected and hated it.
Miami burnt you? Sunscreen mate.

I went to vegas in 2000, I was 20, single and it felt electrifying to me at that time. I was new to living out west, just the idea of the mega oasis after having driven from SoCal really was exciting. As I got older and more educated, if I was in Vegas I would only notice the potential for crime. I couldn't not notice the shadiness of the city around every corner. I was there for Tiesto NYE about 20 yrs ago - it was ok. Went to the Wynn soon after it opened and had a very nice dinner there with my gf. That photo is on my fridge. Was a spokesperson at a fitness convention there once that was fun.

I haven't been in 10+ yrs, is it deteriorating/aging badly now?

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrussGott View Post
Sounds pizzagatey.
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2022, 12:16 PM   #26
infinitekidM2C
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 M2 Competition

Garage List
The hotels are really cool and the vibe can be fun. But otherwise not a fan. Too hot outside, the indoor smoking just kills it for me. And I don't like gambling.
Appreciate 1
      10-03-2022, 12:24 PM   #27
Germanauto
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Alfa Romeo Giulia, Rosso

2 night town. I've had a lot of fun when I've gone with a good group of friends and partied.

But I would never live in Vegas. Not much to do outside the strip, and relatively uneducated populace given the lack of any major companies being HQ'ed in the region and lack of good universities. Desert climate isn't for me either.
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2022, 12:31 PM   #28
Germanauto
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Alfa Romeo Giulia, Rosso

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmg View Post
San Francisco was great during pandemic. It was empty. I wish it stayed that way.

Portland has great food, but I haven't been there since before the Trump Administration drove everyone crazy. I still want to see Seattle. What was so bad about it?

I was in Vancouver just recently. Loved it there, I would go back.
I actually really miss SF pre-pandemic. It was very lively and full of people. I've gone several times both during and after lockdowns. Outside of the weekend the city just doesn't save the same life to it. Feels grimey like LA.

Lived a lot of my life in the Seattle area. The downtown core itself has gone down the tubes. But some neighborhoods are still fine and worth hanging out in. Try your best to go during the July - Sept timeframe since that's only time of year it's sunny.
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2022, 01:03 PM   #29
aj_g80
Captain
Rep
Drives: 720s

what are the hole in the restaraunts though?
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2022, 01:49 PM   #30
KevinC
your average JAMF
United_States
Rep
Drives: '21 M2 Comp, '19 Golf R

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by 540iSUP View Post
The thing that is super annoying in Vegas is the driving style. On the freeway, everyone seems to drive super slow in every single lane and they don't care to move over.
Completely opposite of my experience there over many years/visits. If you aren't doing 85+ on 215, you get run over. In any lane. I-15 not quite as bad, mainly because of the traffic volume.
      10-04-2022, 08:18 AM   #31
Dang3r
Schmollbraten
Germany
Rep
Drives: M4CPC // HP4 Comp.

My last stay were in 2018 and took 5 nights (3 into Luxor, 2 into Best Western).
Before I was there in the middle of the 90s and hadn't too much time to sightseeing. This time I'd used the time to chew up the strip from 2 sides intensively, visit the big hotels and their malls, surroundings like the public race track, Hoover Dam and Ol' Vegas town. It's maybe for foreigners a different approach as for your home grown ppl. Wasn't too bad but also enough for the next years.
No gambling, just watching.

Some say, that my scrotum has its own small gravity field and when Im slowing down that brake lights come on at my buttox
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2022, 08:28 AM   #32
unluky
Major
Rep
Drives: 04 z4 3.0 Sport & 15 X5 35i XD

Garage List
I have to go each year for a trade show - if I never went again - I would be AOK with it. My GF has never been and I tell her - you better tag along on one of my trips as I NEVER plan to go every again on my own dime. It is 100% a system designed to separate you from your cash - that is all. It's like a more family friendly (debatable) strip club. I get so angry and the whole set up not being about my fun and convenience but about how to better get more $ out of me I just can't enjoy it.

I feel like 10-20 years ago that was not the case. At least PRETEND you care if I enjoy it.

#FLasVegas
      10-04-2022, 02:47 PM   #33
jibarra
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW M3 ZCP

I got married in Vegas, so it holds a dear place in my heart. That being said, I can't see myself spending more than 4 days there lol!
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2022, 02:56 PM   #34
Captain Blood
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: Audi S3....don't judge me

Garage List
2016 Audi S3  [9.50]
2012 135  [6.83]
I've been three times, greatly enjoyed every time. But it has changed drastically since they replaced the original strip with this new sidewalk where you go up and down stairs and stuff. It's just not the same. And why would you gamble on the strip? Everyone knows you go downtown to gamble.
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2022, 03:13 PM   #35
F32Fleet
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 435i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyga11 View Post
I've been to Vegas probably 20+ times in my life. I believe the city has deteriorated to an extent it's not worth visiting anymore and this has been a trend the past 15 years or so.

- Gambling is insanely expensive on the Strip with $25 minimums for table games

- 'High End' restaurants which aren't even high end and charge you $75 for a filet (Delmonico's is a good example of this)

- Sports Betting is now legal in most states online. There's no point in the sports book anymore except maybe March Madness

- Clubs which charge you $1000 or more for a 'table' but you can't even get in right away and are reduced to the waiting list.

I think Vegas is ideal for one night and getting the hell out (not exactly a unique opinion) I couldn't imagine spending an entire 3 days out there.
Ya I agree, as someone who goes out there for a week or more at least once a year for poker. It has seriously changed over the last 20yrs Even though the experience was always priced around a 1-2 night stay the recent price bumps are just silly.

The whole experience took a turn for the worst with the legalization of MJ. So many patrons just stink from it. Smell it in the elevators, hallways, entrances, on the strip. I also think it increased the amount of homeless living there Then there have been the post-Covid price increases. Another thing is that there has been a flurry of asset sales, with lease operating agreements, etc. The days when a property was owned and operated by the same entity are slowly disappearing.

However, there still are some great places to eat off strip.

435i, MPPK, MPE, M-Sport Line
Appreciate 1
      10-07-2022, 03:15 PM   #36
F32Fleet
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 435i

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinC View Post
I've been going 3-4 times a year since the mid 80's. Still love it. But yeah it has changed drastically, and not for the better in many ways.

Now in my mid-60's, my bestest buddy that I was going out there with all these years now lives in Henderson, so no more overpriced hotels. We hang out at South Point, which still has free parking, tons of reasonably-priced (and good) food, great sports book, etc. It's the best "mid-roller" joint in town nowadays IMHO. Really well-run operation.
Couldn't agree more. Fun fact did you know they run the slots at the airport?

435i, MPPK, MPE, M-Sport Line
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2022, 04:51 PM   #37
OkieSnuffBox
Major
Rep
Drives: '13 135i

It's not really for me. I went in 2010 when I got married. The only cool thing about that was my dad is friend's with the entertainment director at the Bellagio, so we got amazing, free seats to a Cirque du Soleil show.

I don't care for gambling, they didn't build all those big buildings on winners. Drinks are expensive, even at night it's still super hot.

Been a few more times since they for work. If I never went again, I'd be perfectly happy with that.
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2022, 05:07 PM   #38
DocL
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3

I've been to Vegas three times. Once for a layover to Phoenix for a day with some friends, once for NSXPO, and once to get married.

Suffice to say I no longer speak to a few of those friends. I no loner have an NSX. And I'm no longer married to that woman. It's safe to say I lose more than money when going to Vegas lol.
RickFLM410954.50
      10-08-2022, 03:43 PM   #39
KevinC
your average JAMF
United_States
Rep
Drives: '21 M2 Comp, '19 Golf R

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by F32Fleet View Post
Couldn't agree more. Fun fact did you know they run the slots at the airport?
I was not aware of that. I do know that the payouts at the airport are the worst in town. Never play there.
Appreciate 1
F32Fleet3566.00
      10-09-2022, 03:54 AM   #40
forumlurker
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: almost every day

I like it. But I dont like the weather.
Appreciate 1
F32Fleet3566.00