BMW
X1 / X2
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums Off-Topic Discussions Board Dating - Good/Bad Experiences

02-03-2021, 07:11 AM   #7811
King Rudi
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Meat Suit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Megabrode View Post
I have not read 355 pages of this thread. I'm just lobbing in a dating story, which may require some background...

I will be 75 years of age in 11 days. I married twice. First marriage ended after five years when I found my wife in bed with her boss. A period of dating followed -- though my circle didn't "date" per se in Berkeley in the 70s. We just paired off. Second marriage lasted 42 years, produced three sons, and ended three years ago when my wife died. It was cancer. I quit my job and moved to a new city.

After a year I started online dating. First day on any site, a widow contacted me. Avant guarde artist, articulate, smart, beautiful, very open. My type. We resonated, or so I thought. We met several times. Then she said, "We want different things." What I wanted was probably way too obvious. She ended it.

I decided to lose weight, ultimately 75 lbs. My daughter-in-law helped me choose some hip clothes that actually fit. I continued dating via multiple sites, meeting maybe 40 women over two years. Almost all were one and done (coffee or drink, that is). A few I met several times. Three or four got more serious, more physical. All, from my perspective (warped in part by grief over my dead wife), had at least one fatal flaw -- whether inability to ask a question, totally incompatible world view, or STD. I ended all of them, nicely. But I guess I left a few pissed-off women, some of whom warned their friends about me, limiting the dating pool in this town. When the pandemic hit, further shrinking the possibilities, I grew discouraged and quit all the apps.

Still, that two-year process left me with renewed confidence, patience, and a clear sense of what I wanted -- in short, much more than physical attraction.

Last fall, from time to time I would think, "I wish I'd met Ms. Avant Guarde two years later." Maybe I wouldn't have been so pushy, at the same time so unsure of myself.

Then, on December 26, I'm driving my M3 aimlessly in the hills outside town. I stop to look at the river. I get a text. Ms. Avant Garde says, "I thought of you and am surprised we have not run into each other." Etc. Yes, this relationship rose from the dead. With time together, she's confirmed my initial impressions, and I've yet to see a fatal flaw. Let's hope she doesn't find the several lurking in me. Where is it going? Hard to say. But I expect it to get there relatively soon. We've both been Pfizered. Second shot in two weeks.

Lately I feel like that Fedex guy in the final scene of "Cast Away." Maybe my favorite movie.
Fantastic read and well done sir. A true champion of life you are.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmyx6go View Post
You sir are my idol! Hats off to you.
I give you so much credit for adapting to current times. I can’t and won’t. I don’t get why people can’t meet people the old fashioned way. In person! I don’t get the texting instead of talking and the online swipe instead of meeting people while going about your life. Maybe this belongs in the You know you’re old when thread. I will not do online dating profile.

Good luck to you!
This. Every word.
Appreciate 3
cmyx6go15761.00
MKSixer34184.50
Megabrode335.00
      02-03-2021, 07:13 AM   #7812
King Rudi
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Meat Suit

Loving the input of the ladies on here. Thank you.
Appreciate 2
Lady Jane70852.50
MKSixer34184.50
      02-03-2021, 07:21 AM   #7813
Sara
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: A car

Quote:
You sir are my idol! Hats off to you.
I give you so much credit for adapting to current times. I can’t and won’t. I don’t get why people can’t meet people the old fashioned way. In person! I don’t get the texting instead of talking and the online swipe instead of meeting people while going about your life. Maybe this belongs in the You know you’re old when thread. I will not do online dating profile.

Good luck to you!
Not to take away from what you've said about Megabrode, but the male perspective of meeting someone is completely different than a female's perspective especially in this day and age. It's much smarter to try and vet a complete stranger than to just meet them. Knowing even just a little bit about this person is much safer than not knowing anything. I'm not saying every guy is bad, but as a female you have to be a lot more cautious nowadays.

I had this conversation with a guy friend who matched a girl and THE NEXT DAY he invited her over to his house to spend the weekend because they hit it off via text. She lives in Philly and he's in DC. I grilled him on how irresponsible that is on both their parts. I know he's a good guy, but she doesn't know that and shame on her for being willing to drive 4 hours to a complete stranger's house that she's "known" 24 hours of texting.

I just don't get why you wouldn't want to be safe. That's just me. I can't trust someone after one day of texting. It has to be earned.

Last edited by Sara; 02-03-2021 at 07:27 AM..
Appreciate 6
Lady Jane70852.50
BMWGUYinCO4122.50
vreihen1615268.00
Megabrode335.00
      02-03-2021, 07:31 AM   #7814
cmyx6go
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2022 X6///M Comp

Garage List
2019 X6 ///M  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sara504 View Post
Not to take away from what you've said about Megabrode, but the male perspective of meeting someone is completely different than a female's perspective especially in this day and age. It's much smarter to try and vet a complete stranger than to just meet them. Knowing even just a little bit about this person is much safer than not knowing anything. I'm not saying every guy is bad, but as a female you have to be a lot more cautious nowadays.

I had this conversation with a guy friend who matched a girl and THE NEXT DAY he invited her over to his house to spend the weekend because they hit it off via text. She lives in Philly and he's in DC. I grilled him on how irresponsible that is on both their parts. I know he's a good guy, but she doesn't know that and shame on her for being willing to drive 4 hours to a complete strangers house that she's "known" 24 hours of texting.

I just don't get why you wouldn't want to be safe. That's just me. I can't trust someone after one day of texting. It has to be earned.
Yeah, and you learn a lot about a person from their online BS and what they say in a text? It's amazing I'm still alive being I'm a 57 year old female. Looking someone in their eyes, shaking their hand, listening to what they say and how they say it and watching their body language will tell you a lot about someone.

As far as going to stay at someone's house you never met after 24 hours of texting - you can't fix stupid.
King Rudi13154.00
vreihen1615268.00
Megabrode335.00
      02-03-2021, 07:35 AM   #7815
MKSixer
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW i8, E63 M6, 328d

Garage List
2016 M4 GTS (Allotted)  [0.00]
2013 BMW 328d  [0.00]
2007 BMW M6  [10.00]
2015 BMW i8  [10.00]
Quote:
The good ole days. We had good times here in OT.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fiveohwblow View Post
Le sad, I missed the good stuff.
Here is a classic. I recommend removing any and all sharp objects from nearby as well as hot liquids. You could hurt yourself laughing.

https://bmwi.bimmerpost.com/forums/s...d.php?t=543909
Sir 7ewis, 7X FIA Formula One World Championship, World Driving Champion. 100 Wins. 101 Pole Positions. 54 Fastest Laps. Actual Rain Master. Leave me to it, Bono. One Race Win in each of his 15 years in F1. Most Laps Led in Formula One. The Centurion.
Appreciate 1
      02-03-2021, 07:36 AM   #7816
Sara
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Yeah, and you learn a lot about a person from their online BS and what they say in a text? It's amazing I'm still alive being I'm a 57 year old female. Looking someone in their eyes, shaking their hand, listening to what they say and how they say it and watching their body language will tell you a lot about someone.

As far as going to stay at someone's house you never met after 24 hours of texting - you can't fix stupid.
You can learn a bit. Especially on MD Case Search

For me, I like to connect with someone, see if they can keep a conversation with me for a least a week, two if I'm busy, and then discuss the possibility of meeting up for a date. I've had guys who match with me and ask to meet up the very same night. Those automatically get unmatched.

The guy I'm talking to now, we connected in July 2019, added each other on social media and had our first date November 24th, 2020. He waited nearly a year and a half to date me, but he is definitely worth the wait.... so far lol.
Appreciate 4
MKSixer34184.50
BMWGUYinCO4122.50
King Rudi13154.00
Megabrode335.00
      02-03-2021, 07:38 AM   #7817
MKSixer
Lieutenant General
Rep

Garage List
2013 BMW 328d  [0.00]
2007 BMW M6  [10.00]
2015 BMW i8  [10.00]
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Jane View Post
This has always been my modus operandi. I'm not on any social platforms either, let alone dating sites. And I like to squeeze the produces in the veggie aisle for freshness as well. he he...
Background checks. I get them before I meet. I've had some REALLY bad experiences with stalker ex's. REALLY BAD.
Sir 7ewis, 7X FIA Formula One World Championship, World Driving Champion. 100 Wins. 101 Pole Positions. 54 Fastest Laps. Actual Rain Master. Leave me to it, Bono. One Race Win in each of his 15 years in F1. Most Laps Led in Formula One. The Centurion.
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2021, 08:23 AM   #7818
nyalpine90
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: MY24 G01 AW Msport

Garage List
2016 BMW X4  [9.33]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Megabrode View Post
I have not read 355 pages of this thread. I'm just lobbing in a dating story, which may require some background...

I will be 75 years of age in 11 days. I married twice. First marriage ended after five years when I found my wife in bed with her boss. A period of dating followed -- though my circle didn't "date" per se in Berkeley in the 70s. We just paired off. Second marriage lasted 42 years, produced three sons, and ended three years ago when my wife died. It was cancer. I quit my job and moved to a new city.

After a year I started online dating. First day on any site, a widow contacted me. Avant guarde artist, articulate, smart, beautiful, very open. My type. We resonated, or so I thought. We met several times. Then she said, "We want different things." What I wanted was probably way too obvious. She ended it.

I decided to lose weight, ultimately 75 lbs. My daughter-in-law helped me choose some hip clothes that actually fit. I continued dating via multiple sites, meeting maybe 40 women over two years. Almost all were one and done (coffee or drink, that is). A few I met several times. Three or four got more serious, more physical. All, from my perspective (warped in part by grief over my dead wife), had at least one fatal flaw -- whether inability to ask a question, totally incompatible world view, or STD. I ended all of them, nicely. But I guess I left a few pissed-off women, some of whom warned their friends about me, limiting the dating pool in this town. When the pandemic hit, further shrinking the possibilities, I grew discouraged and quit all the apps.

Still, that two-year process left me with renewed confidence, patience, and a clear sense of what I wanted -- in short, much more than physical attraction.

Last fall, from time to time I would think, "I wish I'd met Ms. Avant Guarde two years later." Maybe I wouldn't have been so pushy, at the same time so unsure of myself.

Then, on December 26, I'm driving my M3 aimlessly in the hills outside town. I stop to look at the river. I get a text. Ms. Avant Garde says, "I thought of you and am surprised we have not run into each other." Etc. Yes, this relationship rose from the dead. With time together, she's confirmed my initial impressions, and I've yet to see a fatal flaw. Let's hope she doesn't find the several lurking in me. Where is it going? Hard to say. But I expect it to get there relatively soon. We've both been Pfizered. Second shot in two weeks.

Lately I feel like that Fedex guy in the final scene of "Cast Away." Maybe my favorite movie.

as i read this, i was visualizing every event like a dam movie.
Appreciate 3
cmyx6go15761.00
King Rudi13154.00
Megabrode335.00
      02-03-2021, 08:35 AM   #7819
Dang3r
Schmollbraten
Germany
Rep
Drives: M4CPC // HP4 Comp.

So far I am very glad that there are no pictures of me into the www - let me shrink this to company related or accidentially glitched onto them.
For Sara Im quite sure I would be an instant swiper

Some say, that my scrotum has its own small gravity field and when Im slowing down that brake lights come on at my buttox
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2021, 08:37 AM   #7820
Sara
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dang3r View Post
So far I am very glad that there are no pictures of me into the www - let me shrink this to company related or accidentially glitched onto them.
For Sara Im quite sure I would be an instant swiper
I find it very odd that there are people who have bumble and hinge accounts with no photos of themselves
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2021, 08:41 AM   #7821
Dang3r
Schmollbraten
Germany
Rep

Quote:
I find it very odd that there are people who have bumble and hinge accounts with no photos of themselves
Says Ms. long legs into her profile pic.
Oh, I saw your pre/post mod pics here pages ago, but those are not counting.

Some say, that my scrotum has its own small gravity field and when Im slowing down that brake lights come on at my buttox
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2021, 08:46 AM   #7822
Sara
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dang3r View Post
Says Ms. long legs into her profile pic.
Oh, I saw your pre/post mod pics here pages ago, but those are not counting.
Ha, that's been my avatar since 2014. I'm not on here to date anyone.
Appreciate 1
MKSixer34184.50
      02-03-2021, 08:50 AM   #7823
Dang3r
Schmollbraten
Germany
Rep

Quote:
Ha, that's been my avatar since 2014. I'm not on here to date anyone.
Me neither, so everything is fine.

Appreciate 2
Sara5791.00
MKSixer34184.50
      02-03-2021, 09:02 AM   #7824
Turkish Pickle
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: '21 330i xDrive

Garage List
damn, i missed all the fun

re: online dating:: its fun if you don't take it seriously, i once sent fake bank statements (10 minute excel work) after a chick said she learned her long term bf was also paying child support on the side
Appreciate 1
MKSixer34184.50
      02-03-2021, 09:48 AM   #7825
MKSixer
Lieutenant General
Rep

Garage List
2013 BMW 328d  [0.00]
2007 BMW M6  [10.00]
2015 BMW i8  [10.00]
Quote:
I had one, a lawyer actually who should know better, show up at my apartment in DC (he lived in ATL at the time, so he flew up, and then took the metro to my place) while I was out playing paintball. When I didn't answer, he told me he went into the parking garage to look for my vehicle, when he didn't see it he went back to my apartment door took a photo of himself in front of my apartment and texted it to me.

I was like WTF....and isn't he just the sweetest human being?
Whiskey. Tango. Foxtrot.
What a tool bag. You should have reported him to the police. UNREAL!

The one that turned it for me was the ex of the person I was dating who put a tracker on her car and mine, took pictures outside of her home, hacked her email, tracked her to my home and blew up the phone when we were in the house. He was calling from the street in front of my home. I was done.
Appreciate 1
      02-03-2021, 10:02 AM   #7826
Sara
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MKSixer View Post
Whiskey. Tango. Foxtrot.
What a tool bag. You should have reported him to the police. UNREAL!

The one that turned it for me was the ex of the person I was dating who put a tracker on her car and mine, took pictures outside of her home, hacked her email, tracked her to my home and blew up the phone when we were in the house. He was calling from the street in front of my home. I was done.
He actually has a stalking 3rd offense charge and a felony B&E from apparently trying to make amends with his ex and letting himself into her place in 2004. I didn't know any of this until after we spilt up in December 2018 when he moved away. And he showed up at my apartment in October of 2019! Ten months after we split. Who does that?
Appreciate 1
MKSixer34184.50
      02-03-2021, 10:29 AM   #7827
CTinline-six
Hoonigan
United_States
Rep
Drives: '09 328i, '98 Wrangler

Garage List
Quote:
I had one, a lawyer actually who should know better, show up at my apartment in DC (he lived in ATL at the time, so he flew up, and then took the metro to my place) while I was out playing paintball. When I didn't answer, he told me he went into the parking garage to look for my vehicle, when he didn't see it he went back to my apartment door took a photo of himself in front of my apartment and texted it to me.

WTF how does any sane human think it's okay to just show up at someone's apartment? And then on top of it be a dick about you not being there.
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2021, 10:30 AM   #7828
Megabrode
He's experimenting with something...
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 e92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyalpine90 View Post

as i read this, i was visualizing every event like a dam movie.
Very nice comment. Thank you! Not too surprising, though, since I'm a filmmaker. I hadn't actually thought of my own story in cinematic terms. Hmm... A feature film would be seriously episodic, with incidents covering 50 years with yoyo weight from 165 to 265 to 185. Virtuosic costume magic and make-up artistry required! This would be perfect for Tom Hanks and Robert Zemeckis! (snowball in hell)
Analog 2011 e92 M3 | Jerez Black | Black Novillo | 6MT | CF roof | No iDrive, Nav, M button, ZCP, EDC, or center hump | ZHP shift knob | OMP 1010 pedals | K&N filter | Dinan engine tune | OEM exhaust mod (bypass) | EAS exhaust tips | shaved front bumper | 19" Apex EC-7 | 12 mm rear spacers
Appreciate 5
King Rudi13154.00
Sara5791.00
cmyx6go15761.00
      02-03-2021, 10:53 AM   #7829
Sara
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTinline-six View Post
WTF how does any sane human think it's okay to just show up at someone's apartment? And then on top of it be a dick about you not being there.
He's never happy. Good riddance.
Appreciate 2
M5Rick60060.50
      02-03-2021, 12:51 PM   #7830
Chihuahua
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: E30 329iS, E65 Alpina B7

Quote:
I don’t get why people can’t meet people the old fashioned way. In person! I don’t get the texting instead of talking and the online swipe instead of meeting people while going about your life.
+1.

I'm 45 and absolutely refuse to do any online/app based dating. Anything worthwhile that's ever happened in my life has happened organically, including romance. Dating apps to me are just another video game you play on your phone to kill time. Go out and meet real, live people FFS.

Quote:

Narcissist. They're easy to spot once you know what to look for.
Appreciate 3
cmyx6go15761.00
Sara5791.00
      02-03-2021, 03:03 PM   #7831
Mein11
Rep
Drives: Porsche 911, Chevy Colorado

Quote:
Wait, with a join date of 2020, who are you?
I'm not sure you truly care to know.
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2021, 03:05 PM   #7832
Mein11
Rep
Drives: Porsche 911, Chevy Colorado

Quote:
Originally Posted by MKSixer View Post
That's reaching back. It was the wild wild west back then. The ban hammer fell without reservation!!

LOL!!

There were some EPIC threads back then. Remember "The Doll Thread"?
It'd be funny to revive old threads, but the zest of OT has sailed, and it's best preserved stored in the archives.
Appreciate 1
MKSixer34184.50