BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW X1 (F48) and X2 (F39) Forums General BMW X2 Forum (F39) Back Wheel Clunking

07-24-2023, 07:18 AM   #1
BostonCharlie
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW X2

Back Wheel Clunking

Hoping to get some advice from those of you wiser than I am folks here on an issue that just popped up before I drop a day and a chunk of change taking my X2 to the dealer!

I have a 2018 X2 xdrive that as of yesterday has a just-loud-enough-to-be-annoying clunking sound coming from the general vicinity of the back passenger tire that keeps pace with the wheel rotation, speeding up and slowing down as the car does. Weird part is that it can't be heard outside the vehicle, only inside. There's nothing visibly loose from the outside.

The car just hit 21k and had new brakes, rotors, etc. within the last 5k.

Curious if anyone has thoughts on what it is before I spend a bunch of money and better part of a day getting the dealer to look at it or jacking it up to see if the noise happens when I rotate the tire manually (which isn't ideal since the sound can only be heard from within the car...).

Hoping it's something under warranty or cheap.... not that anything is cheap with these!
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2023, 08:59 AM   #2
Rich807
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X2

You have an X2 that had to have new brakes & rotors put on it around the 15-16k mark? Is this car tracked?

Trying to think of what your noise may be but would like to know how the car has been/is used
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2023, 12:12 PM   #3
BostonCharlie
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW X2

Thanks for the quick reply.

Yea, it had to have the front and then the back separately which seemed crazy to me. And new tires which seemed crazy as well. Sorry to be dense but by tracked do you mean like GPS? Or issue tracking?

It's been used mostly for commuting less than 10 miles into the city, errands, and trips around town. Beyond that it's been on probably five or six weekend trips within 100 miles - highways. Nothing too extensive. We have a Subaru and a Jeep so if we're going anywhere rough we'd take one of those!
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2023, 02:29 PM   #4
rounderman
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 X2 M35

Garage List
2019 BMW X2 M35  [9.50]
Tracked here means driven in a high speed manner on a race track., HPDE, high performance driving event. Many local chapters of BMWCCA (the BMW car club) have track days. and some folks just rent time

and I did brakes at 17K partially because my SA did me a solid and got them done under my extended service contract

Good luck with diagnosing and fixing this.
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2023, 09:14 AM   #5
Rich807
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X2

Dang, needing brake pads that early on a car that's basically used in 'normal' driving seems nuts. Then to need rotors too? Extra nuts to me. - I've done my own brakes on every vehicle that's needed them dating back to the late 80s.

Wondering if the sand &/or salty road driving & such had jammed up some brake components so they wore in odd fashion. I grew up in New England so I'm well aware of how hard the climate & road conditions up there are on vehicle stuff vs say, living in the SW.

In regard to the clunk. Is is cyclical as in every revolution of the tire it makes that noise? Do you have the ability to jack the car up & pull off a rear wheel?
Appreciate 0