BMW
X1 / X2
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW X1 (F48) and X2 (F39) Forums General BMW X2 Forum (F39) From BMW X2 to 2X X2

06-22-2023, 03:53 AM   #1
sci
Rep
Drives: BMW X2

From BMW X2 to 2X X2

When the leasing plan of my corporate car (BMW X2 sDrive20i in gray) near its end and I had to choose a new one, I've decided to stay with the same model but in orange. It took more than one year to deliver me the new car and as I see now, it seems to be one of the last F39's before they switch to the new model later this year.
In the meantime I was thinking - this is actually the best car I had, why not buy as a private car my "old" X2, which is 4.5 years old and has 55K miles (89K km). Now I drive two X2's, but I know - one of them is only mine Far from a rational decision, I know, but I somehow have the feeling that obtaining a "good normal" car will be harder with the times to come.

Btw, when I say "the best car" I am comparing the X2 with my previous four cars I used in the last 15 years:
Skoda Octavia (MK2)
Mercedes-Benz C-Class (W204)
BMW 3-er (E90 facelift)
Mercedes-Benz C-Class (W205)

Three out of the four are RWD and I like it generally more than FWD, but the X2 delivered me the whole driving experience I had with my E90 (except the driftings you can do, but it's a childish fun for which I am too old already). It drives like a "real BMW" despite the FWD and the transverse mounted engine, which is really impressive.
The X2 is actually much more practical than it looks (or the many reviews suggest) and is definitely not only a "it's nice little car for the city". We had several family travels abroad, travelling >1K km a day, and it is great.
Attached Images

Last edited by sci; 06-22-2023 at 06:23 AM..
Appreciate 1
      06-22-2023, 07:00 AM   #2
Carlman3
Private
Rep
Drives: 2020 X1, 2009 328i

You are living the dream!
I've had an e46, still have an e93, and now an F48. I test drove 3 X2's. I loved the drive but needed a little more room for family trips. In the end, I could've made an X2 work, but I couldn't find a color I liked. The orange was my top pick. I think they must have made 10 of those for the US. They had a light blue I liked (not loved) but my wife hated it.
I've thought about getting an 'extra' X2 to keep for years to come... But new cars don't give me the confidence to do that...

In any case, I like the way you described the way it drives and the attachment you have formed to it. I feel the same way.
Appreciate 1
sci1.50
      06-22-2023, 09:23 AM   #3
sci
Rep
Drives: BMW X2

Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlman3 View Post
I've thought about getting an 'extra' X2 to keep for years to come... But new cars don't give me the confidence to do that...
Generally I agree with you, that the newer the car the less possible it will turn to old-timer one day But I was evaluating the F39 (this applies also to F48 and other later BMW models like F20, F30, F25...), and comparing it with the E90 (or even E46) for example, I don't really see what could lower its longevity expectations. Since the beginning of the millenium, the cars have quite a lot of electronics. Availability and repairability of the parts is what I see critical, and the cars with UKL2 platform have been produced in more than 2 millions, so this shouldn't be a big issue. Mechanically seen, I perceive the F39 not less robust than the previous generations of BMW's. The engines are making the things even better, as it seems the B47/B48 are pretty good, fixing most of the issues of N20/N47 (which were already seen as good and long-living if not left unmaintained). And as soon as the vehicle is pure ICE, there shouldn't be surprises there.

Last edited by sci; 06-22-2023 at 11:51 AM..
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2023, 03:54 PM   #4
Seanyf
Rep
Drives: BMW X2 2.0 sdrive

I agree the X2 is much more practical than many reviews suggest. Also agree that the colour choice is limited. Personally I dislike the bright blue but dont mind the gold or dark red. Mine is sapphire black (bought used), which is ok, but the slight green sparkle is a bit too subtle for me.
Appreciate 1
sci1.50
      08-05-2023, 07:04 AM   #5
kulfon48
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW X1 F48 LCI Sportline 280Hp

congratulations on the sunset orange one I own F48 in this colour and it's absolutely brilliant!
Appreciate 1
sci1.50