E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Junkyard scam

04-06-2024, 08:34 PM   #1
apago123
Rep
Drives: BMW e90

Junkyard scam

Hi everyone, I’m replacing the engine on my e90 because of bad rod bearing. I just got a used engine that was suppose to have 120k miles from junkyard. Once I got it home I noticed that it seemed to have a lot of leaks and corrosion for only 120k miles. I decided to do a vin check on the car it came from and it turns out the car had almost 200k miles. I called up the yunkyard to return it or work something out and they basically said that they don’t care and won’t let me return it. I have already filed a claim with my credit card company but my question is depending on the credit card company outcome should I take this to small claims court. I have the receipts documentation from them stating the engine has 120k miles and I have the vin reports showing otherwise.

Thanks in advance
Appreciate 1
      04-07-2024, 10:37 AM   #2
daredevil95
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2009 328 Xdrive N51

you did good by paying with a credit card, the CC company will refund your money. I had a problem with a transmission from a junk yard, I installed it and it was no good. They didn't have another in stock and would not refund my money. I called the CC and put a stop payment and yes, I won and got my money back. Good luck and update as to what the CC does?
Appreciate 1
      04-08-2024, 11:14 AM   #3
apago123
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by daredevil95 View Post
you did good by paying with a credit card, the CC company will refund your money. I had a problem with a transmission from a junk yard, I installed it and it was no good. They didn't have another in stock and would not refund my money. I called the CC and put a stop payment and yes, I won and got my money back. Good luck and update as to what the CC does?
Ok that makes me less worried. Ill let you know when the CC company gets back to me.
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2024, 11:17 AM   #4
TheMidnightNarwhal
Major General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 11' 335is DCT

CC company might be a bit anal in asking for proof but yeah they should chargeback if what you claim is ture, if you are not delivered the product as it should be you usually win.

I had this situation with a car lip. Seller refused to refund me guess what lol. It's a pretty nice tool to have as a consumer against businesses trying to be little rat fucks and refuse to do the right thing and take accountability for their mistakes.
Appreciate 1
      04-08-2024, 01:27 PM   #5
Gemini562
Private
Rep
Drives: E90

Dude, you've got a solid shot, especially with all that proof! CC companies typically have your back in these situations.
Appreciate 1
      04-08-2024, 03:32 PM   #6
lookalikehuuh
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 330i, 2007 335i

Yeah I would say you have great odds of getting your money back. What they did is fraud and makes them liable.

Only bad part is you will likely need to drop off the engine to them, so hopefully that isn't a big deal for you to do.
Appreciate 1
      04-08-2024, 04:02 PM   #7
apago123
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by lookalikehuuh View Post
Yeah I would say you have great odds of getting your money back. What they did is fraud and makes them liable.

Only bad part is you will likely need to drop off the engine to them, so hopefully that isn't a big deal for you to do.
That sucks, I hoping I don’t have to bring it back myself. The junkyard is an hr away and in a high crime area. We will see how it goes though.
Appreciate 1
      05-01-2024, 10:11 AM   #8
apago123
Rep

Update.

My credit card company somehow sided in favor of the junkyard. After reading through the report the junkyard submitted no evidence and basically just said it was 120K miles trust me bro. Meanwhile I submitted all the vin reports and receipts. Looks like I'm going to be having to use small claims court and maybe finding a new credit card company while I'm at it lol.
Appreciate 1
      05-01-2024, 10:31 AM   #9
Gemini562
Private
Rep
Drives: E90

Quote:
Originally Posted by apago123 View Post
Update.

My credit card company somehow sided in favor of the junkyard. After reading through the report the junkyard submitted no evidence and basically just said it was 120K miles trust me bro. Meanwhile I submitted all the vin reports and receipts. Looks like I'm going to be having to use small claims court and maybe finding a new credit card company while I'm at it lol.
Oh man, that really sucks! It's like your credit card company just phoned it in. "Trust me, bro"? Seriously? That's their big evidence? they dropping the ball after you did all that legwork is just ridiculous.
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2024, 10:32 AM   #10
TheMidnightNarwhal
Major General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 11' 335is DCT

Yeah that really sucks... I'd be going full Karen mode on them at that point.

Did you try to push back? I'm surprised as well.
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2024, 10:32 AM   #11
oVeRdOsE.
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: F25 E91 Audi Avnt E90 Cayenne

classic junk yard, it's not hard to check their stuff before selling...
But guys like that working at those place are not the type to make sure everything is good and client is satisfied...

bought 1 engine a the junkyard, and the guy selling it was in many audi/vw forums and fb groups, so ''he knows vag stuff''.

2.0t fsi are know to have hpfp cam follower pump failure, the guy told me the engine is fine, and had compression.

When I was about to put the engine in the car, cam follower was destroyed, send picture, he didnt give a fk, since the ''warranty passed''. yeah took me 3 months to install it, wasnt my priority.

cleaned oil pan and pickup tube, install the engine any way.
1 oil flush
Did 2km with it, cam chain exploded (probably some metal left or wear).

Send him a legal letter, no shit was givin.

I should have go in small claim court, but like most people I drop it, and part out the car.

Now, every time this guy post on something, I call him, he's mad pissed, so I am.

So yeah, go get your money, and hopefully they might learn to double check their stuff.

Dont get me wrong, sometimes they cant check everything, but if it's obvious and easy, do it.
Appreciate 2
      05-01-2024, 02:00 PM   #12
apago123
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMidnightNarwhal View Post
Yeah that really sucks... I'd be going full Karen mode on them at that point.

Did you try to push back? I'm surprised as well.
Yes I called up my CC and told them they better reopen the claim and actually look at it but I don't have a ton of hope with that now. Probably will end up going to court. The state i live in they seem to make it pretty fast and easy to do small claims.
Appreciate 1