BMW
X1 / X2
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW X1 (F48) and X2 (F39) Forums General BMW X1 Forum (F48) iNav vs Avin Android headunits

12-14-2022, 06:21 AM   #1
ackerman328
Rep
Drives: 330Ci e46 & X1 20i f48

iNav vs Avin Android headunits

Hi all,

I am new in the forum, just purchased f48 sdrive20i, hope I can learn and contribute knowledge.

The first upgrade I want to do to the car is change the OEM factory screen, by an Android headunit.
I have searched headunits for the f48, and it seems that the brands iNav and Android are the best ones.

Comparing both of them, seems that the iNav is a bit newer, because it has Android 12 (vs Android 11 the Avin), and also the iNav has an extra of "anti glare blue screen", which claims to be the same anti glare than the used by BMW.
Also the iNav is more expensive, around ~100$, depending on the extras.

Do you have any experience or recommendation with any of these headunits in your f48s?
Any other good Android headunits brand for f48?

I have Avin headunit on my e46, and I am quite happy with it, works good, and not buggy, so I am not sure if the +100$ for the iNav is worth. Before the Avin, I had a chinese headunit brand (Erisin), and it worked much worse, more buggy, and the phone calls with the external microphone were impossible to make due to strange noise generated on the headunit.

Thanks,
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2022, 10:04 AM   #2
TheRiddle
Private
Rep
Drives: '17 X1 18i + '00 323Cic

IMHO

Inav seems to be a clone ov AVIN and the fact that browsing their website always bring you to "become a distributor" may trigger some reasonable doubt.

Do not care about 'droid 11/12, is the chipset that makes the difference,
I have an Avin4 on my e46 (px6) and i'm absolutely amazed by its performance and how Avin is replying to any issue/update/question.

btw most of the android units are made by 3/4 factory in china, these then sell the bare unit to different brands that then upload their FW and place the buttons on the outside by their own scheme.

Avin do so, but at least for e46 the aesthetic is 99% OEM look and they have a specific locked FW that prevents any mess by the user (like Apple does on Idevices)

I'd go for Avin
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2022, 02:04 AM   #3
ackerman328
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRiddle View Post
IMHO

Inav seems to be a clone ov AVIN and the fact that browsing their website always bring you to "become a distributor" may trigger some reasonable doubt.

Do not care about 'droid 11/12, is the chipset that makes the difference,
I have an Avin4 on my e46 (px6) and i'm absolutely amazed by its performance and how Avin is replying to any issue/update/question.

btw most of the android units are made by 3/4 factory in china, these then sell the bare unit to different brands that then upload their FW and place the buttons on the outside by their own scheme.

Avin do so, but at least for e46 the aesthetic is 99% OEM look and they have a specific locked FW that prevents any mess by the user (like Apple does on Idevices)

I'd go for Avin
Same Avin 4 px6 on my e46. The only downside with it was that I could not bind some apps such as Spotify or iBus to physical buttons of the HU, but finally after lot of research I could do it.

You are right about the iNav webpage, I also checked it and is a bit suspicious: when you try to see the products, they request you to be a distributor. I can only see the products on the store 4x4shop.

The only real advantage I see on the iNav over the Avin could be the anti glare blue screen, but I think that is not worth enough for the price difference.

Anyway, it could be good if someone with iNav unit can give us his feedback.
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2022, 05:22 AM   #4
TheRiddle
Private
Rep
Drives: '17 X1 18i + '00 323Cic

Quote:
Originally Posted by ackerman328 View Post
Same Avin 4 px6 on my e46. The only downside with it was that I could not bind some apps such as Spotify or iBus to physical buttons of the HU, but finally after lot of research I could do it.
that is exactly what i meant for "Avin secured FW"
but if you use a different loader such as NOVA, you can do it.

Quote:
The only real advantage I see on the iNav over the Avin could be the anti glare blue screen, but I think that is not worth enough for the price difference.
the anti glare film that Avin provides is quite good, consider that i've a cabriolet and this glare effect is 100x times bigger than other chassis
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2022, 03:37 AM   #5
ackerman328
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRiddle View Post
the anti glare film that Avin provides is quite good, consider that i've a cabriolet and this glare effect is 100x times bigger than other chassis
Good point. I did not take the anti glare protector on the Avin for the e46, but I only notice some reflections when the sun is low and just behind the rear window. On the cabriolet it should be much easier to have reflections.

I will take the protector for the X1 and try.
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2022, 05:45 PM   #6
Mufambi
Registered
Rep
Drives: X1 M Sport

F48 Android headunit no signal

I did the diy install, I had trouble detaching connector from the old screen. I suspect that could be why I’m getting no signal. Where is best to get replacement cable? It looks it has pink/purple connectors. Hoping to eliminate that. Any other trouble shooting tips?
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2022, 10:28 AM   #7
ackerman328
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mufambi View Post
I did the diy install, I had trouble detaching connector from the old screen. I suspect that could be why I’m getting no signal. Where is best to get replacement cable? It looks it has pink/purple connectors. Hoping to eliminate that. Any other trouble shooting tips?
I will use this Youtube video for the install, is the most complete I have found:

For the no signal problem, maybe you can install back the OEM screen, and see if it works.
If the OEM screen works, then your new screen might had something broken.
If the OEM screen does not work, probably you broke some cable during the installation. On this case, you can inspect them, and manually solder a new connector to the broken cable.

Which is the screen model you are installing?
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2023, 07:20 PM   #8
the snowdog
Rep
Drives: 2011 328i Sedan

Phone Quality

How do you find the phone (handsfree) voice quality both receiving and transmitting? Do these units use the factory MIC, or do you have to use an external MIC installed somewhere?
Appreciate 0