BMW
X1 / X2
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW X1 (F48) and X2 (F39) Forums General BMW X1 Forum (F48) TPS System general question

07-07-2016, 12:45 AM   #1
Les Paul
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: X1 2.0D Xline Auto

TPS System general question

Does anyone know how the BMW TPS monitor is powered please? - just idle curiosity on my part !

Is it a small battery in the tyre sensor/valve/ transmitter, or from the regular vehicle electrics or some other system ?

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2016, 02:10 AM   #2
X1PGK
Private
Rep
Drives: X1 20d X Drive X Line 2016

I'm guessing, but think it might be done using a wheel diameter sensor. Get the tyres correctly set pressure wise and the sensors measure the time for the wheel to rotate and therefore records the diameter. If that time difference changes the system knows the pressure has decreased and sends a warning.
Appreciate 1
      07-07-2016, 02:12 AM   #3
Bluezed
Bluezed
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X1 25d xLine MG

Hi Les Paul - Not my own work but found this in answer to your question.

"Every sensor has a unique identification that it transmits to a receiver via wireless remote frequency at 433 MHz (euro standard). The receiver then transmits the data to the controller allowing the information to display to the driver.

They are powered by an internal battery, this battery cannot be replaced. The battery life is expected to last up to 5-7 years dependant on annual mileage. To save energy the sensor doesn’t transmit data unless it is rotating, which also prevents the spare tyre from being monitored. With every transmission of data the sensor will also send a battery state signal, which workshop tools can use to diagnose a low battery."
Appreciate 1
      07-07-2016, 02:14 AM   #4
M-Nick
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Les Paul View Post
Does anyone know how the BMW TPS monitor is powered please? - just idle curiosity on my part !

Is it a small battery in the tyre sensor/valve/ transmitter, or from the regular vehicle electrics or some other system ?

Thanks
Yes, there is a battery inside each sensor.
Appreciate 2