F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > Cool find at Costco, BMW blind spot mirrors
proTUNING Freaks

02-05-2020, 03:18 PM   #45
FaRKle!
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 328d Wagon, M2 Comp, i4 eD35

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by VWAudi2BMW View Post
Yes good catch! Although if someone does not have the euro aspherical mirrors, then it will be either rimmed for dimming, or rimless for heated only just to keep it simple.
Once again, I have heated AND dimming mirrors that are bezel/rimless and came as OE for the car.

Please don't PM me for suspension recommendations unless interested in paid private consultations.
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2020, 03:23 PM   #46
VWAudi2BMW
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: drei BMWs

Quote:
Originally Posted by FaRKle! View Post
Once again, I have heated AND dimming mirrors that are bezel/rimless and came as OE for the car.
Do you happen to have a part number? When I look at places like ECS or BMW's OEM parts website nothing like that pops up for the F3x US cars. As previously mentioned, the Euro blindspot ones are like that though.

Not looking to spread wrong info, just can't find anything like that anywhere either?! From time to time unicorns do pop up. Are you the original owner?
Sedan
Lots of burbles and POPS
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2020, 03:28 PM   #47
FaRKle!
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 328d Wagon, M2 Comp, i4 eD35

Garage List
Quote:
Do you happen to have a part number? When I look at places like ECS or BMW's OEM parts website nothing like that pops up for the F3x US cars. As previously mentioned, the Euro blindspot ones are like that though.

Not looking to spread wrong info, just can't find anything like that anywhere either?! From time to time unicorns do pop up. Are you the original owner?
I'll take a look at the mirror tonight to see what PN is on it. But in the video above you can clearly see 1) connections for heating, 2) connections for dimming, and 3) no bezel.

I'm the original owner of the vehicle.

Please don't PM me for suspension recommendations unless interested in paid private consultations.
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2020, 03:29 PM   #48
VWAudi2BMW
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jh_f30 View Post
My driver's side mirror is getting fixed this very moment. The shop sourced me euro spec glass per my request. I'll snap some pics as soon as I get my car back.

UPDATE:
New mirror was installed in less than an hour. Very glad I didn't have to wait around too long. Took a few shots to try to show perspective. Hope this helps!

Also, to note, the euro glass gets rid of the black bezel that's around the outside of USDM glass. It's only a few millimeters, but I like the increased field of view having the glass go edge to edge.
Interesting, thanks for the pics! Looks very similar to the VW units, but those do not dim. In all honesty the curvature of the extended view stick ons do not give any glare.

What are your thoughts?
Sedan
Lots of burbles and POPS
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2020, 03:30 PM   #49
VWAudi2BMW
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by FaRKle! View Post
I'll take a look at the mirror tonight to see what PN is on it. But in the video above you can clearly see 1) connections for heating, 2) connections for dimming, and 3) no bezel.

I'm the original owner of the vehicle.
I was just looking through your build, very cool car sir!!
Sedan
Lots of burbles and POPS
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2020, 04:13 PM   #50
jh_f30
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2013 335i Sportline Auto RWD

Quote:
Quote:
My driver's side mirror is getting fixed this very moment. The shop sourced me euro spec glass per my request. I'll snap some pics as soon as I get my car back.

UPDATE:
New mirror was installed in less than an hour. Very glad I didn't have to wait around too long. Took a few shots to try to show perspective. Hope this helps!

Also, to note, the euro glass gets rid of the black bezel that's around the outside of USDM glass. It's only a few millimeters, but I like the increased field of view having the glass go edge to edge.
Interesting, thanks for the pics! Looks very similar to the VW units, but those do not dim. In all honesty the curvature of the extended view stick ons do not give any glare.

What are your thoughts?
My thoughts on the aspherical glass? Love it. I adjust my mirrors properly anyways, but the added curve extends my field of view noticeably.

What do I think of the stick-ons? Not my cup of tea, personally. Reminds me of Ford's oem mirrors. Not in and of itself a bad thing, but I prefer an unobstructed field of view and a clean install. They're definitely better than the generic bubble/fisheye stick-ons, but I'll still stick to my Euro OEs. No pun intended.

At the end of the day, it's your car and you driving, so if you're happy with what you have, that's all that matters.
      02-05-2020, 05:38 PM   #51
VWAudi2BMW
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
My thoughts on the aspherical glass? Love it. I adjust my mirrors properly anyways, but the added curve extends my field of view noticeably.

What do I think of the stick-ons? Not my cup of tea, personally. Reminds me of Ford's oem mirrors. Not in and of itself a bad thing, but I prefer an unobstructed field of view and a clean install. They're definitely better than the generic bubble/fisheye stick-ons, but I'll still stick to my Euro OEs. No pun intended.

At the end of the day, it's your car and you driving, so if you're happy with what you have, that's all that matters.
Glad you are liking the new mirror! Pretty sweet you got them to do that, as they are pricy!!

Would I pay over $150 for a questionable used set? Heck no! Would I pay several hundreds for new set? Heck no!

Would I take a free set? Most likely!

You hit the nail on the head though... Back when I had my VW and then after getting the 330, I travel a decent amount for work. I had Ford Fusions, Hyundai Sonata's and Toyota RAV 4's that all had similar built in units to these extended view. I did not love those vehicles, but I did find myself really loving those built in mirrors. Once I had them, I wondered why every car did not have them because it made a huge difference in visibility.

I actually really like having a clearly defined area to look and see the blind spot. I also really like having a larger area than just the end and with very little distortion. Those Ford ones are built in a fixed position and they are angled in a way they point into the blind spot area. The base of these extended view tilts in like that too. Wherever you move the mirrors, they always tilt into the blind spot in the same way.

I guess if you like the functionality of those OE built in ones, you'll love these because they are very similar. The cool thing is, we have more option now!

It is pretty evident using these that someone put some decent thought and effort into the design for sure, far beyond just a rounded mirror. I for one am grateful, Christmas came early!!!
Sedan
Lots of burbles and POPS
Appreciate 1
jh_f301307.00
      02-05-2020, 07:07 PM   #52
klasjdh
Private
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW 435ix

Quote:
Now that I have pictures up, maybe it will make it easier!

If you look at the picture of my mirror, notice the black rim / bezel around the edge of the actual glass? This is for the dimming mirrors.

If they were not dimming there would not be that rim around them, it would be just glass like this: https://www.pelicanparts.com/More_In...YaAtRDEALw_wcB
Thank you so much for your detailed explanation and being so patient with me and this thread lol.

I finally got a chance to get some pictures.

So I think these do indeed match with the pictures you posted, and also to confirm, the mirrors are heated because I was able to read in the iDrive owner's manual that the mirrors are automatically heated when the engine is turned on, but this function powers off when you turn off the engine.

Thanks!!
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2020, 08:11 PM   #53
VWAudi2BMW
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by klasjdh View Post
Thank you so much for your detailed explanation and being so patient with me and this thread lol.

I finally got a chance to get some pictures.

So I think these do indeed match with the pictures you posted, and also to confirm, the mirrors are heated because I was able to read in the iDrive owner's manual that the mirrors are automatically heated when the engine is turned on, but this function powers off when you turn off the engine.

Thanks!!
Anytime! Definitely auto dimming
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2020, 12:44 AM   #54
upsidedownfunnel
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 335i

Garage List
2014 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Onizukachan View Post
You mean like BMWs all did until after the e46 (or maybe e90) where you put it in reverse, adjust the mirrors and they return to that position in reverse from then on?
Why they got rid of that feature on the f30 I haven’t a clue. Sheer idiocy.
No that feature is still there. I mean I keep my mirrors wide enough to not be able to see the side of my car. That's good for driving but not good for parallel parking. What I'm wishing for is that instead of just going down a certain amount, the mirror also came in a bit so I can see how close I am to the curb.
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2020, 09:29 AM   #55
Onizukachan
Great Teacher
Rep
Drives: 06 e91 325ix

Garage List
2006 E91 325ix  [10.00]
2006 Mini r53 JCW  [0.00]
2005 Mini r53  [0.00]
Quote:
So they used to have a customizable setting in reverse as opposed to just lowering the passenger side? I know the amount of lowering can be coded, or turned off completely.
Yes. Completely customizable on my e34, e46 and the wife’s e83. This is the first Bmw I’ve ever had where that didn’t exist.
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2020, 12:19 PM   #56
VWAudi2BMW
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onizukachan View Post
Yes. Completely customizable on my e34, e46 and the wife’s e83. This is the first Bmw I’ve ever had where that didn’t exist.
That is before my time as a BMW owner and is actually really cool.

Sort of like we went to the moon in the 60's with little technology and we are a ways away from going back with all of these crazy computers today?

That is one of the big reasons why I am loving my new extended view mirrors though. Even when not in reverse, it is nice having the different viewable areas.
In my area of Encinitas, CA, bikes are a big thing. Along the coast hwy there is a bike lane in some areas, but in most areas, bikes share the lane with cars.
There are also tons of cars parallel parked along the curbs and a lot of little side streets, where people pull onto the coast hwy with blocked views.

Forward or reverse, pulling into spots or pulling out of side streets, you always need to be super careful of bikes. There is constant fighting between the city, cyclists and residents. It is pretty dangerous, but the added visibility helps keep me off the news for sure!
Sedan
Lots of burbles and POPS
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2020, 02:15 PM   #57
VWAudi2BMW
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

I think a few of you were trying these out... Anyone else give them a whirl yet?
Sedan
Lots of burbles and POPS
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2020, 12:10 PM   #58
VWAudi2BMW
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

No one? I am a follower not a leader... I am really the only one on here so far with these?!
Sedan
Lots of burbles and POPS
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2020, 07:12 PM   #59
peeps689
Rep
Drives: 2015 335xi Sport

Quote:
I think a few of you were trying these out... Anyone else give them a whirl yet?
I just installed mine and really like them.
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2020, 08:13 AM   #60
Ishan99
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW 320i

Quote:
I have a crazy story for my fellow BMW enthusiasts. How do you know you are getting old? Many of your stories start with the other day I was going to Costco...

I live in the Encinitas area of North San Diego and as you can tell, I frequent Costco Carlsbad. Anyone who knows Costco Carlsbad knows it is a wasteland of huge SUVs crammed into spots that are small for a Mini Cooper. But I can't get enough, especially the yogurt (please bring back the chocolate and vanilla swirl).

When I was parking I was glad to see a nice and clean BMW parking next to an open spot. I knew I'd be safe as long as they were there, right?. A younger guy was getting out and I said to him nice car (we both were mineral gray). He laughed and said thanks, and that was when I noticed his mirrors.

He had these blind spot mirrors that fit like a glove and looked factory-like. I have blind spot mirrors on my RAM and I love them. I've rented Ford cars with the built-in ones and loved having those too. I've looked for something that did not look terrible but have never found anything stick on.

I asked this guy about them (Andy) and he said he owns a few businesses. He just started a new one and he actually makes them for that exact reason. He said he started messing with them this past summer and eventually went all-in with a full on company to do it. We were talking for a bit and he was telling me he has had a set on his car for a few months testing and tweaking. He sent a few to friends and family in other states too. I was the first person to ever ask though.

He gave me a set and said give them a try and if you like them, please send me some feedback. I have had them for a few weeks and I love them. I am the first testimonial on his site. He was a nice kid!

I had an X2 loaner about a month ago that these would have been awesome on. Boy was that thing hard to see out of.

Here is the website for anyone interested: https://*********************

Now for the chocolate and vanilla swirl yogurt?

Edit / update: I received a promotional email from this company with a coupon code valid for the month of February. 15% off for anyone interested. BMWEnthusiast15

Edit again, finally got some pics!!

Do these come with both the left side and the right side? Or do they only come with one?
Follow @Black_Lux_Cars on IG
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2020, 10:07 AM   #61
VWAudi2BMW
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Left and right
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2020, 11:58 AM   #62
VWAudi2BMW
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by peeps689 View Post
I just installed mine and really like them.
Woot Woot, I am not the only one!! Post up some pictures, we need to start a mirror gang.

I had some mod regret with my GTI. I ended up going a little nuts. My BMW is much more conservative. I don't think anything gives smiles per gallon like my BM3. Other than that, these stupid little things are very useful and one of my favorites.
Sedan
Lots of burbles and POPS
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2020, 12:10 PM   #63
XutvJet
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2011 Cayman Base, 2016 M235

I've got an even better mod and it's free. Set your mirrors correctly and you won't have any blind spots!

02-12-2020, 12:57 PM   #64
VWAudi2BMW
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by XutvJet View Post
I've got an even better mod and it's free. Set your mirrors correctly and you won't have any blind spots!
I appreciate the insight, but not really true. I've been driving for quite a while and have owned many vehicle types: Sedans, coupes, convertibles, SUV's, pickup trucks, vans, box trucks, etc.

Agreed there are ways you can position your mirrors to reduce blind spots, but there will always be blind spots. Some vehicles are worse than others. For example, my F30 is like a glass dome vs my corvette convertible back in the 2000's with the top up. But there are areas that are not visible without these no matter what. Shifting the mirrors shifts the blind spots. Blind spot mirrors add more viewable area in contrast.

The ability to see a lot more in your mirrors is really nice, especially at reasonable price for a good product. Does everyone need it? Not at all!! Can everyone benefit? Sure!

I am pretty sure the euro cars are required to have convex mirrors for safety?

I have noticed the Ford cars I rented in the past with those mirrors built-in like mustangs, fusions, etc are now forgoing those for the blinking lights. I personally think that is backwards. To me, there is much more benefit to seeing all around you vs a blinking light.

I guess I am old school like Maverick?
Sedan
Lots of burbles and POPS
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2020, 01:10 PM   #65
VWAudi2BMW
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by XutvJet View Post

Just for reference, I watched the video and this is how I have generally adjusted my mirrors BTW.

I took pictures both ways. As you can see here, there is still a blind spot having the mirror out away from the car as he shows. This also does not take into account parking.

I do adjust the mirrors a bit differently than I used to because I have more than one view now. I personally really like that, but to each their own!
Sedan
Lots of burbles and POPS
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2020, 10:55 AM   #66
XutvJet
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2011 Cayman Base, 2016 M235

Quote:
I appreciate the insight, but not really true. I've been driving for quite a while and have owned many vehicle types: Sedans, coupes, convertibles, SUV's, pickup trucks, vans, box trucks, etc.

Agreed there are ways you can position your mirrors to reduce blind spots, but there will always be blind spots. Some vehicles are worse than others. For example, my F30 is like a glass dome vs my corvette convertible back in the 2000's with the top up. But there are areas that are not visible without these no matter what. Shifting the mirrors shifts the blind spots. Blind spot mirrors add more viewable area in contrast.

The ability to see a lot more in your mirrors is really nice, especially at reasonable price for a good product. Does everyone need it? Not at all!! Can everyone benefit? Sure!

I am pretty sure the euro cars are required to have convex mirrors for safety?

I have noticed the Ford cars I rented in the past with those mirrors built-in like mustangs, fusions, etc are now forgoing those for the blinking lights. I personally think that is backwards. To me, there is much more benefit to seeing all around you vs a blinking light.

I guess I am old school like Maverick?
With this method, I can adjust the mirrors on a newer gen Camaro rentals to clear out the blind spots.

Many people don't like setting their mirrors this way because they lose the reference point of the car body. For what ever reason, people want to be able to see their own car in the side view mirror.

This isn't to say that you shouldn't at least take a shifting eye glance before switching lanes either, no matter what sort of mirror arrangement you have, because going on because of fast moving cars, motorcycles, etc.

Even my wife, how doesn't take driving nearly as serious as me, swears by the mirror arrangement.