F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > Key Fob Question
proTUNING Freaks

03-24-2020, 04:27 PM   #1
The Nerd
Major
Rep
Drives: 22 M3 Comp xDrive

Key Fob Question

Well, I stupidly set my key fob on my roof while I took some gloves off. I must have gotten distracted and left it up there, started the car, and drove off. Gone. Of course, because my car kept running, I had no idea until I got home and discovered the fob was gone.

So my question is....is there a cheaper option for key fob replacement than simply getting a new one from the dealership? Like, maybe buying the fob aftermarket elsewhere and then just taking it to the dealership to be reprogrammed? I guess that wouldn't help much with the real key inside if I were to go that route. I have a 2013 335i Sport with 90k miles, so I'd rather not dump too much into it, but maybe the dealership is my only option?

Any advice?
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2020, 05:10 PM   #2
chowser51
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F33 430 and F39 M35i

Garage List
Go spend $380?? at the dealer and get a new key then have them disable the old key.
You just go to the parts department with proof of ownership (with VIN) and order a replacement key with cut blade. Do not let them sync it, sync it yourself and save the labor charge.

or, trade the car in
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2020, 05:31 PM   #3
The Nerd
Major
Rep
Drives: 22 M3 Comp xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by chowser51 View Post
Go spend $380?? at the dealer and get a new key then have them disable the old key.
You just go to the parts department with proof of ownership (with VIN) and order a replacement key with cut blade. Do not let them sync it, sync it yourself and save the labor charge.

or, trade the car in
Are you saying the new fob alone is $380? To me, that's a lot of $$ for something so minuscule....thus, the reason for my question.

And, if I buy the new fob, how do I sync it myself?
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2020, 05:38 PM   #4
chowser51
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Mine was about $402 after tax for a new fob and cut blade. My car only came with one (used).

Once I picked it up from the parts department they said they need to sync it and it would be one hour labor. I walked out to my car and synced it in a few seconds.

You unlock your car with current key. Move current key away.
Take new programmed key from dealer and hold it to steering column where the key symbol is and start the car. Now it’s synched.

I haven’t heard any good luck stories with ebay fobs and programming.
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2020, 08:08 PM   #5
Fredo
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2012 335i

I bought a fob (including cut blade) at eEuroParts.com and saved some bucks as compared to the dealer. I programmed myself following steps similar to post above. It took multiple attempts but I was successful at the end.
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2020, 09:36 PM   #6
The Airman
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 i3s

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Nerd View Post
Well, I stupidly set my key fob on my roof while I took some gloves off. I must have gotten distracted and left it up there, started the car, and drove off. Gone. Of course, because my car kept running, I had no idea until I got home and discovered the fob was gone.

So my question is....is there a cheaper option for key fob replacement than simply getting a new one from the dealership? Like, maybe buying the fob aftermarket elsewhere and then just taking it to the dealership to be reprogrammed? I guess that wouldn't help much with the real key inside if I were to go that route. I have a 2013 335i Sport with 90k miles, so I'd rather not dump too much into it, but maybe the dealership is my only option?

Any advice?
In my garage, I opened my all windows and tried to figure out all the ways I could lock my fob in my car, or screw myself with my "smart key".

Now I know. Set it on the car and drive away. The car still runs until it's shut off. It falls off. Then you're screwed. I wonder if the design engineers ever thought of this scenario?

I once set a very expensive watch on the front bumper of a car to prevent scratching the watch and the car, drove off, and never found the watch again. I searched for days. Lesson learned.

Thanks for being honest.

2021 i3s AC Schnitzer
BMW CCA #67486
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2020, 07:52 AM   #7
Billfitz
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 328iX GT

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Airman View Post
Set it on the car and drive away. The car still runs until it's shut off. It falls off. Then you're screwed. I wonder if the design engineers ever thought of this scenario?
They did. If you start the car and then get out, taking the fob with you, a warning will pop up on the dash saying the key is not detected, car cannot be started. The first time I saw that I couldn't figure out why it said the car couldn't be started if it was already running, but in time I figured out what it meant.

Last edited by Billfitz; 03-25-2020 at 10:51 AM..
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2020, 08:56 AM   #8
chowser51
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
I once set my phone on the trunk and drove off. thankfully i drove back and bluetooth picked it up so i knew it was near.

with the new keys, i never take them out of my pocket.
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2020, 09:47 PM   #9
The Airman
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 i3s

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billfitz View Post
They did. If you start the car and then get out, taking the fob with you, a warning will pop up on the dash saying the key is not detected, car cannot be started. The first time I saw that I couldn't figure out why it said the car couldn't be started if it was already running, but in time I figured out what it meant.
In that situation, that's what I got too.

But.........
If I lay the FOB above the drivers door on the roof, the doors will NOT unlock, but the car WILL start and can be driven and the FOB will fall off.

If I lay the FOB on the roof above the rear passenger door, the doors will unlock but the car won't start. All depends on where the antenna is.

2021 i3s AC Schnitzer
BMW CCA #67486
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2020, 09:55 PM   #10
Billfitz
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 328iX GT

One of the first things I did after taking delivery was to test whether the car would let me lock the fob inside. It will. From that day on my fob doesn't come out of my pocket. As I understand it CA won't let you lock the fob in the car, but standard access will.
Appreciate 1
chowser512025.00