BMW
X1 / X2
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW X1 (F48) and X2 (F39) Forums General BMW X1 Forum (F48) Remote software update

11-09-2019, 10:46 AM   #1
Beagler
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Sept 2019 Facelift X1 MSPORT

Remote software update

Not listed as an option in idrive. Is it possible to upgrade to allow this.
      11-09-2019, 11:12 AM   #2
kavatski
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2023 X3 30iX

Just went through this on mine last week when I saw that the ConnectedDrive store was suggesting it for our X1. However, like you, I found there's no option for it in iDrive so I chalked it up to a feature that isn't actually supported by the vehicle.
Appreciate 1
Beagler74.50
      11-09-2019, 11:14 AM   #3
Beagler
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by kavatski View Post
Just went through this on mine last week when I saw that the ConnectedDrive store was suggesting it for our X1. However, like you, I found there's no option for it in iDrive so I chalked it up to a feature that isn't actually supported by the vehicle.
Have emailed BMW through ConnectedDrive so will see what they say.
      11-09-2019, 11:21 AM   #4
kavatski
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Please let us know what you hear back. Since ConnectedDrive knows exactly what car I have, I'd have thought it'd be smart enough to not suggest the remote upgrade to me if it's not actually something that's available.
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2019, 11:59 AM   #5
claykin
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: various BMW

Doesn't the X1 have iDrive 6? Even the 2020 LCI? No remote software update in iDrive 6 cars. Even some iDrive 7 cars don't have remote software update, such as the 5 series.
      11-09-2019, 12:12 PM   #6
Beagler
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Have downloaded some update from bmw website after putting in vin num. its just improved bluetooth for Samsung s10 according to accompanying pdf. Cant find where map updates are though.
      11-09-2019, 12:33 PM   #7
dianebrat
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 orange x2 xDrive28i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beagler View Post
Have downloaded some update from bmw website after putting in vin num. its just improved bluetooth for Samsung s10 according to accompanying pdf. Cant find where map updates are though.
In the US the map data is an OTA update on a somewhat regular basis which I suspect keeps it small, I get asked about a "navigation update" about once a month.
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2019, 01:42 PM   #8
kavatski
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Same in Canada. Map updates actually are possible remotely as one of the ConnectedDrive services. The car appears to download them on its own and then will prompt you to install.
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2019, 01:52 PM   #9
Beagler
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Is the option in idrive only visible when an update is available. I have Navigation plus.
      11-09-2019, 02:18 PM   #10
oakey46
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW 2 A/T 220i Lux Auto 1.5

Quote:
Is the option in idrive only visible when an update is available. I have Navigation plus.
Try this, if you haven't already done so (for UK):
Go into
https://www.bmw-connecteddrive.co.uk...x.html#/portal and login, or register if you haven't yet done so.
After Logging in, click on 'Remote Cockpit', then 'Control'.
Scroll down the screen to 'Map update' and there, by clicking on Map update' you can see which region you can use to receive automatic updates, or look at Manual update, where you will see the option to download the App for Windows or Mac (which was updated on my iMac yesterday).
I have an iMac and the benefit of manual updates, so far as I can see, is that it will allow you to download and install on a USB stick updates for the whole of Western Europe and not just the UK or wherever you live, which I understand is the case with Auto Updates. I'm sure it will be the same for the Windows App. I've used the Manual update method since taking delivery of my X1 late March '18 and have updated around 6 times.
Hope that is of help and I'd imagine there'd be an equivalent for USA/Canada etc.
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2019, 03:00 PM   #11
Beagler
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by oakey46 View Post
Try this, if you haven't already done so (for UK):
Go into
https://www.bmw-connecteddrive.co.uk...x.html#/portal and login, or register if you haven't yet done so.
After Logging in, click on 'Remote Cockpit', then 'Control'.
Scroll down the screen to 'Map update' and there, by clicking on Map update' you can see which region you can use to receive automatic updates, or look at Manual update, where you will see the option to download the App for Windows or Mac (which was updated on my iMac yesterday).
I have an iMac and the benefit of manual updates, so far as I can see, is that it will allow you to download and install on a USB stick updates for the whole of Western Europe and not just the UK or wherever you live, which I understand is the case with Auto Updates. I'm sure it will be the same for the Windows App. I've used the Manual update method since taking delivery of my X1 late March '18 and have updated around 6 times.
Hope that is of help and I'd imagine there'd be an equivalent for USA/Canada etc.
Thanks for that. I need to know if Ive got auto update first, if not your post will be really helpful.

Have followed your instructions anyway and its saving the update to my laptop as we speak. Thanks again.

Last edited by Beagler; 11-09-2019 at 03:22 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2019, 09:32 PM   #12
wcs2229
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW X1 F48 xDrive28i

I saw the link on the ConnectedDrive website store also, but did not find any option in the car. I think it is a generic link and it depends on the region/model/year.

I also found and downloaded the software update on another BMW website, but didn't bother to install ... if it ain't broke, why fix it?

It turned out, when I went in for service this week, the software got updated to TT & MT 002.128.002 anyway, but I lost my coding.

Unfortunately, the Canadian ConnectedDrive website does not have map updates to download. I get "Delta" updates remotely over the air. For "full" maps, you have to pay $$ to the dealer or (like me) pay $ to a 3rd-party online to download. The Canadian ConnectedDrive is quite useless actually ... only sells add-on and renewal of services.
Appreciate 1
Beagler74.50
      11-10-2019, 08:20 AM   #13
oakey46
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW 2 A/T 220i Lux Auto 1.5

Quote:
Thanks for that. I need to know if Ive got auto update first, if not your post will be really helpful.

Have followed your instructions anyway and its saving the update to my laptop as we speak. Thanks again.
In the U.K., so far as I can see, auto update together with the facility to run the manual update are standard features for the first three years and you can confirm that by looking again at your car in Connected Drive on your computer.
Apart from the time it takes to download, I prefer the facility to update all mapping content. When you have saved the download update for your car to usb, put the usb stick into the socket in the centre console, below the armrest (unless it’s somewhere else in your updated X1). As soon as you turn on the ignition afterwards it should tell you or ask if you want to install the update. You can continue to drive the car and from my experience the install doesn’t take too long and I think it tells you when it’s done. You can see which version is in your car before the update you’ve downloaded by opening the Nav screen on your car and press the Option button on the iDrive controller (to the left of the parking brake) which should take you to the screen where you can scroll down to settings, press the iDrive controller and go down to Position & Version then Version Information.
You never know, it might confirm you already have the latest version installed (Road Map Europe Way 2019-4). Good luck!

Last edited by oakey46; 11-10-2019 at 11:05 AM..
Appreciate 1
Beagler74.50
      11-10-2019, 09:27 AM   #14
Beagler
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Have managed to install the improved bluetooth connection update from the memory stick. It only took a minute.
Attached Images

11-12-2019, 04:56 AM   #15
Beagler
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Had this reply from Bmw

Thanks for your reply.

To further clarify to be able to perform the Remote Software Upgrade – your vehicle would need the latest iDrive and Head unit software (ID7).

I’m afraid that this cannot be retrofitted and the only way to perform a software update would be either online or through a BMW Centre. I can also confirm that the service wouldn’t be introduced for any lower version of iDrive.

I hope this helps and if there’s anything else I can assist with please get back in touch.

Kind regards

Saqib

BMW Group
United Kingdom
Saqib Hussain
ConnectedDrive Support Executive
Summit ONE
Summit Avenue, Farnborough
Hampshire , GU14 0FB
Tel: +44 (0) 800 3256 000
Mail to: customer.information@bmw.co.uk
URL: www.bmw.co.uk

You would think a car bought in September and the latest facelift model would have the latest equipment.
      11-12-2019, 01:01 PM   #16
wcs2229
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW X1 F48 xDrive28i

Hello Beagler,

Thanks for digging into this.
Appreciate 1
Beagler74.50