BMW
X1 / X2
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW X1 (F48) and X2 (F39) Forums General BMW X1 Forum (F48) Repairing dent and scratches

11-05-2019, 08:59 AM   #1
michaelguo87
Rep
Drives: BMW X1

Repairing dent and scratches

Hey guys, I am from the USA and my car got reversed into on the driver side door. There isn't any structural damage, but the driver side door is pretty scratched up and there is a little dent. The offender's insurance took 100% blame to the accident, but the amount that offered is fairly small.

In your experience, do we need to bring it to a licensed BMW technician for the body work repair? Or I would be better served at a normal (trusted) body shop that serves all cars? In my 10 years of driving, this is the first time my car has gotten more than a visible scratch so I am not sure what is the best course of action.

I have a 2016 X1. Thank you for sharing your experiences.
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2019, 11:38 AM   #2
overcoil
Major General
Rep
Drives: M235i 6spd

First notify your insurance company and let them handle the negotiation with the at fault insurance company.

There should be no "...fairly small.." payment, It's what a reputable body shop estimates the price for repair to be. The body shop will have the offenders appraiser come on site or simply call to inform them of increases of any estimates.

You can use a forum, BMW regional club section or you can see if any BMW dealerships have their own bodyshops.. Be a smart consumer and find a shop that is clean well run and if possible chk out some of their work for quality. My dealer has a repair facility that does a large amount of Porsche and BMWMINI bodywork.
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2019, 11:55 AM   #3
DanG
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 AW DCT

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [7.68]
Use a body shop that is BMW certified. They should handle all the paperwork with the at fault insurance company. BMWUSA will help you find a certified shop near you.
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2019, 05:44 PM   #4
billnchristy
Major
Rep
Drives: 2022 M440xi GC

Garage List
My local dealer has a pdr guy and a body shop. I would imagine most bigger dealers would.
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2019, 10:30 PM   #5
00max00
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW X1 - option loaded

Too bad, most bodyshop will work with insurance who pay only the minimal required repair, anything more will be rejected. Don't be fooled by "certified", it doesn't make any difference. The dealer's bodyshops are outsourced contractors anyway. And depending on your color, color matching will be a pain. Even the easiest solid black would have different shade to the original paint under certain lighting conditions. Sorry for your lost. I learned the lessons not to drive my nicer cars anywhere close to crappy places.
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2019, 12:47 PM   #6
michaelguo87
Rep
Drives: BMW X1

Thanks guys, I am bringing my car to a body shop that my regular BMW tech recommended today. They would likely recommend on next step too and push the other side's insurance.
Appreciate 0