BMW
X1 / X2
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos Lexus LFA: The best sounding car on earth?

05-24-2010, 05:19 PM   #67
Italteen3
Captain
Rep
Drives: 135i JB

Quote:
Originally Posted by TK-421 View Post
You may want to re-read the thread because "everyone" posting Ferrari V8's was actually just one person and only two videos.
+1 I posted a Zonda F the clear winner.
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2010, 06:58 PM   #68
pokerface
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: F25 X3 N20 / F80 ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Levi View Post

[u2b]<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/p6D7S2rcyIQ&hl=fr_FR&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/p6D7S2rcyIQ&hl=fr_FR&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>[/u2b]

great sound .. that instrument guage is simulated, right? because none of the other guages moved (water temp, oil temp, trip meter, etc...)
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2010, 08:09 PM   #69
jaco
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 M3 SSII

HOLY SHIT to the NSX that is god's sound. I still love a lp560 or lp640 that shriek is something else.

2015 Chevy SS In
2011 E90 M3 DCT SSII Out
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2010, 08:55 PM   #70
Nutballa
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW F13 M6 // BMW F22 M235i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sylon View Post
Fine, here you go. The Zonda Cinque. The last version of the Zonda, and it does sound incredible.

Sick! the Zonda is on the top of my list, and so it the CGT.

"Power is nothing without Control" - Pirelli.

Appreciate 0
      05-24-2010, 09:26 PM   #71
Vudoo4u2
Night Sh1ft
No_Country
Rep
Drives: F95 X5MC LCI

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by shift@red View Post
um...Porsche would argueably, if not easily, be considered better than those three you listed. Only one close or equal to them is Ferrari.
Lambo would easily be within the top engine builders as well...and Audi Gmbh would probably be within the top ranks too.
I think we're talking about different tiers of engine creation here...

On average production models, porsche has more entertaining and powerful engines than Honda

When it comes to the technology, power, and quality of engines.....few could argue Honda is not at the top (competing with BMW and at times ferrari)

Have you looked at Indy and F1 engines? Who do you think makes most of them? Not Porsche

Honda s2000 made ten years ago was/is running 120hp/liter naturally aspirated from the factory, and many of those engines are still running hundreds of thousands of miles later. That isn't because honda is a low level engine manufacturer

While i agree with you that Porsche has a fun line of cars with powerful engines, they are not a better engine manufacturer than BMW or Honda (IMO Honda has an edge...but i would be wrong if i said bmw and ferrari do not compete with them)

To the previous poster, i agree, it's a damn shame honda chooses to produce mostly pedestrian sub 25k cars when they have the technology to put out incrediblly powerful engines. But I love to look at the nsx (made in 1992...) and the s2000 as examples of what they can do, if they want to in regular pedestrian vehicles. We can only hope that they take more of their f1 knowledge and let it trickle down to their regular cars.
      05-24-2010, 10:15 PM   #72
graider
Colonel
Rep
Drives: py/kiwi e46 m3

+1. whenever people talk about top engine manufacturers, bmw/honda came up the most.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vudoo4u2 View Post

On average production models, porsche has more entertaining and powerful engines than Honda

When it comes to the technology, power, and quality of engines.....few could argue Honda is not at the top (competing with BMW and at times ferrari)

Have you looked at Indy and F1 engines? Who do you think makes most of them? Not Porsche

Honda s2000 made ten years ago was/is running 120hp/liter naturally aspirated from the factory, and many of those engines are still running hundreds of thousands of miles later. That isn't because honda is a low level engine manufacturer

While i agree with you that Porsche has a fun line of cars with powerful engines, they are not a better engine manufacturer than BMW or Honda (IMO Honda has an edge...but i would be wrong if i said bmw and ferrari do not compete with them)

To the previous poster, i agree, it's a damn shame honda chooses to produce mostly pedestrian sub 25k cars when they have the technology to put out incrediblly powerful engines. But I love to look at the nsx (made in 1992...) and the s2000 as examples of what they can do, if they want to in regular pedestrian vehicles. We can only hope that they take more of their f1 knowledge and let it trickle down to their regular cars.
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2010, 11:19 PM   #73
TK-421
Registered Sex Offender
United_States
Rep
Drives: E46 M3 | 1JZ S13

Quote:

05-24-2010, 11:47 PM   #74
The__J__Factor
Major
Australia
Rep
Drives: ///M Coupe

Honda is defiantly up there. You can make some unreal NA K20s and mix heads and blocks from different honda engines to get some cool hybrid set ups.
Z4 M Coupe - H&R - RE Diablo - RPi - Tekarbon - Sold
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2010, 02:02 AM   #75
AW335TT
Major
Armenia
Rep
Drives: a car

Quote:
Originally Posted by shift@red View Post
Even the stock exhaust is still FAR better than anything else ever made.
Everyone else is posting ferrari v8s with tubi's or kriessieg and this car in stock form beats them.
I agree with you, up until I heard the LFA, I personaly thought the CGT was the best sounding car. I'll hold off on final judgement until I hear the LFA in person.
      05-25-2010, 02:15 AM   #76
AW335TT
Major
Armenia
Rep
Drives: a car

owned.. lol

[u2b]wEq8Sx0d100&feature=related[/u2b]

ya ya i know its not street legal but, just thought id post it

Last edited by AW335TT; 05-25-2010 at 02:20 AM..
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2010, 11:09 AM   #77
Vudoo4u2
Night Sh1ft
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
Honda engine (it's crown jewel): RA005E (prior to engine requirement being changed to v8...so in 2005)

3.0 liter
V10
Approx 890 hp
18,500 redline

I understand it's not street legal, but Porsche doesn't make anything close

As a street engine manufacturer, Porsche has some fun engines. But in terms of technological prowess and ability, they are not in the same league as Honda, BMW, and Ferrari.

And yes, that Honda engine that I listed makes almost 300hp/liter naturally aspirated..

Last edited by Vudoo4u2; 05-25-2010 at 12:43 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2010, 12:22 PM   #78
graider
Colonel
Rep
Drives: py/kiwi e46 m3

not to mention porsche engine has some crazy issue, honda nsx/s2000 engines are bullet proof.

Quote:
Honda engine (it's crown jewel): RA005E (prior to engine requirement being changed to v8...so 2005)

3.0 liter
V10
Approx 890 hp
18,500 redline

As a street engine manufacturer, Porsche has some fun engines. But in terms of technological prowess and ability, they are not in the same league as Honda, BMW, and Ferrari.

And yes, that Honda engine that I listed makes almost 300hp/liter naturally aspirated..
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2010, 02:11 PM   #79
BMW269
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW

BMW M engines are very reliable. Just look at the M3 GT2 E92. In fact all BMW engines are reliable exept the N54 and even so it is not that bad. Do not mix BMW engines and BMW cars. When a BMW has a problem it is mostly other things than the engine. BMW can build much better engines than they actually have, but they do not waist money on something that has no profit. I can not say if it is a good or a bad thing.
Oh, and BMW weekens there engine so that tuners should not get out of them 1000 HP, because chassis and drive train would not handle the power.

Nice Ferrari Enzo FXX.
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2010, 03:43 PM   #80
b0bab0i
Major
Rep
Drives: 03 TiAG z4 3.0i w/ hardtop

Quote:
Honda engine (it's crown jewel): RA005E (prior to engine requirement being changed to v8...so in 2005)

3.0 liter
V10
Approx 890 hp
18,500 redline

Engines like these Last one Race. Not very Reliable if you ask me.
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2010, 04:02 PM   #81
94JZA80
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1994 BPU Supra

Quote:
Originally Posted by benmoooon View Post
LOL +1

...and the current 2.4L V8 spec engines only last 3 race weekends (or is it 2, i don't remember)...either way, that's not much more reliable than the V10's of a few years ago.
      05-25-2010, 04:02 PM   #82
Vudoo4u2
Night Sh1ft
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
are you actually doubting the reliability of honda engines because their F1 engine which produces 300hp/liter can withstand 18,500 RPM on a V10 for an entire weekend before the engineers choose to revamp the engine before the next series? (not just one race)

they arent designed to run for 50 years in this spec, theyre designed to run full-tilt for a weekend (as required for F1). Its not like the engines grenade themselves after the race. They just choose to rebuild them for optimum performance on a per-race basis.

its the technology involved in producing such an engine thats incredible. All the engines we eventually see in production vehicles have some aspect of F1/race spec technology. For a company to be able to produce an engine like this takes a lot of know-how and design effort. This is what makes Honda, BMW, and Ferrari the best engine manufacturers in the world. It can be seen in their production road-going vehicles to some degree as well, but what aspects of their racing know-how they choose to let trickle down is a factor of expense to produce and need in the market.
      05-25-2010, 11:59 PM   #83
b0bab0i
Major
Rep
Drives: 03 TiAG z4 3.0i w/ hardtop

Quote:
are you actually doubting the reliability of honda engines because their F1 engine which produces 300hp/liter can withstand 18,500 RPM on a V10 for an entire weekend before the engineers choose to revamp the engine before the next series? (not just one race)

they arent designed to run for 50 years in this spec, theyre designed to run full-tilt for a weekend (as required for F1). Its not like the engines grenade themselves after the race. They just choose to rebuild them for optimum performance on a per-race basis.

its the technology involved in producing such an engine thats incredible. All the engines we eventually see in production vehicles have some aspect of F1/race spec technology. For a company to be able to produce an engine like this takes a lot of know-how and design effort. This is what makes Honda, BMW, and Ferrari the best engine manufacturers in the world. It can be seen in their production road-going vehicles to some degree as well, but what aspects of their racing know-how they choose to let trickle down is a factor of expense to produce and need in the market.
I don't follow Honda closely enough, but what stuff actually trickles down to actual production cars?
To my knowledge, Honda has never produced a car with a V10 engine.

Have they even come out with a production car with a V8?

And this thread is about preference to "ENGINE SOUND", not how well an engine performs or how much technology a certain manufacturer excels in.
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2010, 09:42 AM   #84
Chenry135
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: former 2008 135i/ 2006 STI

I don't know how this turned into Honda being the best sounding engines because they are reliable... I think Honda's sound almost as bad as any rotary. IMO.
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2010, 01:06 PM   #85
TK-421
Registered Sex Offender
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AW335TT View Post
owned.. lol

[u2b]wEq8Sx0d100&feature=related[/u2b]

ya ya i know its not street legal but, just thought id post it
You just had to go there...

[u2b]<object width="960" height="745"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/aBXUOomynxw&hl=en_US&fs=1&hd=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/aBXUOomynxw&hl=en_US&fs=1&hd=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="960" height="745"></embed></object>[/u2b]

[u2b]<object width="960" height="745"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/M1InrgZiv30&hl=en_US&fs=1&hd=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/M1InrgZiv30&hl=en_US&fs=1&hd=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="960" height="745"></embed></object>[/u2b]
      05-26-2010, 01:08 PM   #86
TK-421
Registered Sex Offender
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I don't follow Honda closely enough, but what stuff actually trickles down to actual production cars?

And this thread is about preference to "ENGINE SOUND", not how well an engine performs or how much technology a certain manufacturer excels in.
+1
      05-26-2010, 01:44 PM   #87
Vudoo4u2
Night Sh1ft
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
Quote:

I will 100% agree I am OT
      05-26-2010, 03:03 PM   #88
JHFW89225
Major
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Garage List
2009 BMW M3  [0.00]
2008 335i  [0.00]
Quote:

3.0 liter
V10
Approx 890 hp
18,500 redline

Hmm I beg to differ, Porshce makes some nice, fun, and powerful engine but they are far from being a top tier engine maker with Ferrari/Honda/BMW.

Ferrari have all sorts of F1 legacy behind them, and their road cars have won countless awards with their proven technologies. Anyone who doubts the abilities of Ferrari to make engine that are inferior to almost any other maker out there is, I dare to say it, ignorant.

Honda have been proven in F1 as well. They also have engine monopoly in INDY, and they built ridiculous engines for Super GT, and Formula Nippon. They are also one of the most technologically advance engine maker who arguably revolutionized high performance engines. True that Honda is slacking off lately, but remember the time when NSX came out, any Porsche and Ferrari at the time were beaten soundly. Not to mention Honda powered cars, F1 cars, GT cars all have won many times over. Lastly, McLaren F1 designer Gordon Murray choose to ask Honda initially for an engine... Honda can build engines period, they are along side Ferrari more than Porsche or most other makers. Is a shame that the best of them is now in the past. I can see why people don't know about Honda because all you see is Civics and Accords on the street. Also, we never get any Type R over here as well as their racing program to show off their technologies. Asia on the other hand, the red Honda Type R badge is as high performing as a BMW M power badge and its well deserved.

BMW, well we as BMW drivers should know better that they built some of the greatest engines... McLaren F1 6.1L V12, need I say more?

Porsche? Well they run in Lemans GT1 back then but got dominated by McLaren in 95, by Mercedes later on. Their road cars are powerful, but when the NSX came out, they cant even compare. The only reason you can say Porsche is superior right now is because Honda haven't made another NSX yet. Look what happen when Nissan throws its resource together and do to the 911. I am sorry but Porsches are great cars make no mistake, but don't be fooled into thinking they are the greatest cars ever, because the are not even close... I am sure other people here who knows cars will educate you on that.
2005 BMW X3 3.0i

Last edited by JHFW89225; 05-26-2010 at 03:22 PM..
Appreciate 0