BMW
X1 / X2
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW X1 (F48) and X2 (F39) Forums General BMW X1 Forum (F48) BMW X1 (F48) Drop Heavy Camouflage on Nurburgring (updated with video)

12-12-2014, 08:26 PM   #23
Zeroblade
Explodes on impact
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 Mazda3

The current X1 is the mini SUV I want to love but seriously hate how the front looks. To me it just doesn't belong. Add to that the price is just wrong. I know this is BMW we're talking about here but damn this thing could be the 3-series of SUV's for BMW. That said, thank god for the new front.

*work in progress*
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2014, 01:37 AM   #24
Teutonic
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW

It seems to me that the taillights don't have parallel tubes anymore?
I hope they will not follow Mercedes with those buterfly tailights that are really ugly!

Fwd platform, haldex, maybe I should buy a M package X1 while I can...
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2014, 01:40 AM   #25
ORIGIN M.
Banned
Rep
Drives: ///M

The X3 is the 3 Series of SAV's for BMW.

This isn't even a 2 series, it a entry level SAV for BMW, that will be nothing short of a home run. X1/X2/X3/X4/X5/X6/X7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeroblade View Post
The current X1 is the mini SUV I want to love but seriously hate how the front looks. To me it just doesn't belong. Add to that the price is just wrong. I know this is BMW we're talking about here but damn this thing could be the 3-series of SUV's for BMW. That said, thank god for the new front.
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2014, 03:06 AM   #26
SCOTT26
Major General
Rep
Drives: A big F-off German Truck.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdeerfield View Post
id say its a much smaller front end. just look at how much closer the door line is to the wheel well.

The bonnet has now been shortened, the windscreen moved forward than the E84 and the outline falls within all BMW SAVs allowing it look more dynamic and sporty at the rear , a trait that will run from X1 to the X7 allowing a more dynamic profile in the segment.

This is also joined by exceptional front and rear passenger space.
All US Market X1 models will be xDrive only.

The new X1 also extends its priorities with the first X1L model which extends the wheelbase to allow seating for seven. Intended only for the Chinese market this vehicle will now be available globally.
This model heralds another sub-line for the X family models and stands between the bookends of the standard SAV and the Sport Activity Coupe X2 model.

The next generation X3 will also offer an extended wheelbase model.

The X2 can be determined by adding the typical Sport Activity Coupe roofline to this prototype.
But bear in mind there is a lot of features still disguised on these prototypes but stand well to be digitally rendered.
      12-13-2014, 03:23 AM   #27
bimmr
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: x1

I like the new x1 looks more proportional, but less sporty IMO.

I am really not a hater of the current x1 tho, despite some of you guys hate it. The new x1 to me right now looks like a Honda CRV
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2014, 04:40 AM   #28
Pure
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 328i EB , RR Ghost Black D

Current X1, I like its design.

The new generation seems that you will have a nice figure, I honestly believe is very close to the size of the X3.

Now this fashion make many vehicles of this type, I think there should be greater differences between models.
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2014, 06:07 AM   #29
X3paul
Banned
Rep
Drives: E9 CSi, Z4M coup, E65 730d, E4

Boring. I think the i3/i8 might ruined most new bmw's design 4 me. and the luxury 9 ser concept (forgot the name) didnt help too. the new 5 this x1 all look the same.If they drove better more excitong cars i wouldnt be bothered soo much by the styling but as we all know bmw's gonne all audi now (fwd and dull steering) and they seem to follow audi style too (every model looks the same). bmw needs a new bangle.
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2014, 08:26 AM   #30
111R
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Lotus

I know that the small car-based SUV segment is a success right now, but I'm not a fan. It's a tall wagon with top-heavy handling for people who don't want to admit they prefer the utility of a wagon. I wish our country would get past this so we could have some of the cool wagons they sell overseas.
'17 Audi A4 Ultra, Monsoon Grey, Wife's car
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2014, 11:39 AM   #31
X3paul
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOTT26
Quote:
id say its a much smaller front end. just look at how much closer the door line is to the wheel well.

The bonnet has now been shortened, the windscreen moved forward than the E84 and the outline falls within all BMW SAVs allowing it look more dynamic and sporty at the rear , a trait that will run from X1 to the X7 allowing a more dynamic profile in the segment.

The new X1 also extends its priorities with the first X1L model which extends the wheelbase to allow seating for seven. Intended only for the Chinese market this vehicle will now be available globally.
This model heralds another sub-line for the X family models and stands between the bookends of the standard SAV and the Sport Activity Coupe X2 model.

The X2 can be determined by adding the typical Sport Activity Coupe roofline to this prototype.
But bear in mind there is a lot of features still disguised on these prototypes but stand well to be digitally rendered.
Will the next gen x3 go fwd too? I swaped my f25 for the macan, would love to go back to bmw IF they sort out the steering, the 90's interior and agricultural engines but if its fwd than its a no.
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2014, 12:06 PM   #32
ORIGIN M.
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by X3paul
Quote:
Quote:

Will the next gen x3 go fwd too? I swaped my f25 for the macan, would love to go back to bmw IF they sort out the steering, the 90's interior and agricultural engines but if its fwd than its a no.
No it will not.
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2014, 01:47 PM   #33
z19930612
Lieutenant
China
Rep
Drives: 1 Series M Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdeerfield
Quote:
Originally Posted by aajami View Post
It's tough to disguise the gross front overhangs that all those small SUVs share on a FWD platform, unfortunately...

Damn, old X1 looks way better
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2014, 08:15 PM   #34
SCOTT26
Major General
Rep
Drives: A big F-off German Truck.

Quote:
Originally Posted by red-sauerkraut View Post
No it will not.
The X3 , X3 L and X4 arriving from early 2017 onwards will be RWD/XDrive.
      12-13-2014, 08:20 PM   #35
X3paul
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
No it will not.
Will the current x4 have the usual 6/7 years cycle or will it be replaced sooner? Who at bmw thought it would b a good idea to launch a 2014 model with a 1999 interior?
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2014, 01:05 AM   #36
ORIGIN M.
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
No it will not.
While I believe it severely dilutes the brand, still interesting none the less.
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2014, 04:29 AM   #37
Auto
Captain
Sweden
Rep
Drives: MB CLS 63 AMG

Looking good so far! This thing is going to sell! Hope there's a M version coming.
After owning av X5M I've really fallen for en concept SUV+large engine.
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2014, 10:42 AM   #38
Teutonic
Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Quote:

This isn't even a 2 series, it a entry level SAV for BMW, that will be nothing short of a home run. X1/X2/X3/X4/X5/X6/X7
Still, X1 shares the platform with 3series Touring.

We love our X1, inluding the design. We find it beautiful and with its own character.
However, I think my wife will hate me soon because I will not go for a Fwd platform. We both find that X3 was already big.
For our needs, was just the perfect Suv; never need more space.
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2014, 12:29 PM   #39
ORIGIN M.
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tracus
Quote:

Still, X1 shares the platform with 3series Touring.

We love our X1, inluding the design. We find it beautiful and with its own character.
However, I think my wife will hate me soon because I will not go for a Fwd platform. We both find that X3 was already big.
For our needs, was just the perfect Suv; never need more space.
The old 3 series platform.

Regardless your car is more than this car will ever be.
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2014, 12:46 PM   #40
Imola.ZHP
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW i3 BEV EE

Some of the comments here are just cracking me up. Did no one hear Scott say all US x1's will be x-drive? So there will be no FWD x1's here, everyone can calm down about it.

On the flip side if it uses the same transfer case as the current Countryman, RUN FOR THE HILLS! Quickly!
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2014, 12:58 PM   #41
Luminor513
Major
Rep
Drives: 2020 G07 x40i BSM/Blk Merino

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imola.ZHP
Some of the comments here are just cracking me up. Did no one hear Scott say all US x1's will be x-drive? So there will be no FWD x1's here, everyone can calm down about it.

On the flip side if it uses the same transfer case as the current Countryman, RUN FOR THE HILLS! Quickly!
And those buying X1's aren't going to be doing serious off roading, even if the US did get fwd it probably would be sufficient for 99% of the drivers purchasing X1's.
      12-14-2014, 05:35 PM   #42
BMW-ALPINA
Freude am Fahren
Rep
Drives: G26 i4 M50, F11 M550d, E70 X5

Garage List
2009 730dA  [0.00]
As what I can see so far. No LED turn signals now rather?? Why should you be so crappy, BMW? The model will be out in 2016 and other cheap cars on the market have allready have it in many years..
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2014, 05:59 PM   #43
Red Bread
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Smog machines

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imola.ZHP

It will have Haldex, like the Countryman AWD, so it will remain fwd until slip is detected, just like the CLA45. I gather VW has exclusive rights to the latest generation of Haldex which does send constant power to the rear wheels (albeit an undisclosed and relatively low amount).
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2014, 07:06 PM   #44
Teutonic
Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imola.ZHP View Post

A FWD platform will not use the XDrive, but most likely Haldex.
It may be an AWD but is not the same.
Not to mention XDrive is a RWD biased system, which meand fun in the summer with a sporty attitude.
So I don't know what cracks you up...

And We do use it for some really off road tasks, especially in the winter.

Anyway, we will see.
Appreciate 0