BMW
X1 / X2
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW X1 (F48) and X2 (F39) Forums General BMW X1 Forum (F48) BMW X1 (F48) : Honest Experience Reviews Needed

12-20-2020, 07:54 AM   #1
povdrive_from_youtube
Registered
Rep
Drives: bmw x1

BMW X1 (F48) : Honest Experience Reviews Needed

Hello,

I just had the pleasure to drive the Bmw x1 (F48) 20d xDrive Msport

1 - I would like to collect some honest thoughts you had or are having with your car, then upload them in the description section of my video so it can be helpful for futur potential buyers..

2 - Personally I like the car very much.. it is spacious enough for four grown-ups my size (I'm 192cm/6"2).. lots of head room.. seats were a little bit stiff (but then I guess you can opt for the classic standard leather seats).. Driving felt nice even though I am not a fun of diesel cars.. Can't say much more than that.. That's why I would like to collect some informations regarding : models, engines, things that break often, what's better, what's worth..

3 - So if you have any constructive comments / experience to share with me, I would be grateful for your devoted time,

Wish you all the best,
Kind Regards
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2020, 07:08 PM   #2
michaelguo87
Rep
Drives: BMW X1

I have a 2016 F48 for a year and a half now, in Chicago. The car that I had before that was an old Lexus RX SUV. These are a few of my thoughts.

Pros:
- Much better car to drive. It is just fun to be zipping ahead when the light turn green.
- For a small family, this car is spacious enough that fulfils all the needs that we have.
- Gas mileage is good (compared to an old Lexus RX which is naturally aspirated V6)
- We love the interior (we got the mocha interior with the panoramic moonroof)

Cons:
- The big rims and run flats are just bad for Chicago roads. (There are a lot of potholes) Significantly more bumpy, intend to swap out the RFT once they are done.
- The boot cover is 2 big hard pieces, which has to be left in the garage if you do not intend to use it.
- Definitely higher maintenance. See my other thread on a recent issue with the suspension (specifically control arms and ball joint)

Summary, german luxury vehicles definitely has more cost and problems than toyota/honda, but hey, getting a bimmer is for the fun, and my wife and I both love our car.
Appreciate 1
      12-21-2020, 04:04 AM   #3
RuPo
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: BMW X1 (F48/ 2018)

I drive the car just a short time. The minus are the options. In basic the car have not much functionality. Example a HUD, super but you need a package. A japanees car, for the same price, is filled with a ,lot of options. Great plus, its a bimmer drives great en loove tha basic interieur with every thing on the right place. Its a car mede for driving!
Appreciate 1
      12-21-2020, 09:20 AM   #4
Beagler
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Sept 2019 Facelift X1 MSPORT

Dear but best car I have had. If you find the perfect car dont buy it you’ll find something wrong with it. Lol
      12-21-2020, 09:22 AM   #5
povdrive_from_youtube
Registered
Rep

Thank you very much for your messsage michaelguo87!!
If you don't mind I will share your message in my video description linking a link to your profile for those who would like to read more about things and stuff to look out when buying that specific car.

Wish you all the best,
Thank you =)
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2020, 04:25 PM   #6
dianebrat
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 orange x2 xDrive28i

Quote:
Originally Posted by povdrive_from_youtube View Post
Thank you very much for your messsage michaelguo87!!
If you don't mind I will share your message in my video description linking a link to your profile for those who would like to read more about things and stuff to look out when buying that specific car.

Wish you all the best,
Thank you =)
You may mean well, but I think it's asking a lot for folks here to provide content on your youtube page that will drive traffic there for you, I think it would be more equitable for you to link back to here and drive viewers back to bimmerpost.
Appreciate 2
iceman7117.00
MJE60678.00
      12-24-2020, 06:57 AM   #7
MJE60
Captain
England
Rep
Drives: BMW G01 xDrive M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by povdrive_from_youtube View Post
Hello,

I just had the pleasure to drive the Bmw x1 (F48) 20d xDrive Msport

1 - I would like to collect some honest thoughts you had or are having with your car, then upload them in the description section of my video so it can be helpful for futur potential buyers..

2 - Personally I like the car very much.. it is spacious enough for four grown-ups my size (I'm 192cm/6"2).. lots of head room.. seats were a little bit stiff (but then I guess you can opt for the classic standard leather seats).. Driving felt nice even though I am not a fun of diesel cars.. Can't say much more than that.. That's why I would like to collect some informations regarding : models, engines, things that break often, what's better, what's worth..

3 - So if you have any constructive comments / experience to share with me, I would be grateful for your devoted time,

Wish you all the best,
Kind Regards
Hi, I have found my F48 2.0D xDrive to be totally mechanically reliable (drive systems).

The two minor issues I have had (one repeated) is the rear seat folding release merchandise using switch in boot/trunk failed within a few weeks of ownership and then about 18 months later. Given the switch was only used about 10 times it was disappointing however I was told it was due to slight misalignment of rear seat fitting (my seats tilt also). Other issue is that centre armrest between front seats was always difficult to adjust and eventually failed (it slumped down against storage cubby underneath and would not lock in position). This needed a complete new armrest fitting which now works great.

Overall I think the F48/X1 is a great car however I would advise anyone buying the car, especially if previous BMW owners, to recognise that some of the safety and tech features are budget versions of systems found in higher range cars. Examples include fact that the x1 only has a single lens KAFAS camera/not stereoscopic, this means the intelligent safety system has weaknesses, for example a poor rating (bottom of class) in US IIHS safety tests, it also means that some owners have complained that features like automatic cruise control can get confused in certain weather conditions. Other examples include fact that Harman Kardon system is simpler version than say in X3, or that the xDrive system is very different than for all other models. In the X1 it is predominantly front wheel drive with temporary drive given to rear when needed , using simpler system than for other BMW cars who have rear wheel dominant systems.

I think if it were widely known how poor some Safety features in the X1 are, which really is inexcusable (as better system exists in many cheaper makes and fixing the problem would probably cost less than US$100), it would be a deal breaker for many drivers. Imho any serious review should highlight this weakness. I think it is not a coincidence that the pedestrian frontal collision warning is not included as standard for the X1 in many markets. As an aside, I have found the vehicle frontal collision warning to be very reliable.

Finally, it might be useful to highlight a very common complaint which many f48/f39 drivers had in cars from 2017-2019, namely it may not have Apple CarPlay and the feature can either not be activated or retrofitted or may require an annual subscription or will cost €500 for a genuine BMW fsc code. This last option being informal and only available through connected members of this forum and NOT available from any BMW main dealer. Because this forum is a community and we try to help each other, I support and repeat comment from dianebrat about driving traffic here and not YouTube.

Last edited by MJE60; 12-26-2020 at 05:59 AM..
Appreciate 2
      12-26-2020, 04:05 AM   #8
toothpick89
Registered
Rep
Drives: bmw x1 f48

Had my x1 for 3 months so far. 20d xdrive.
great mix of family practicality and sporty feel.
Came from a 4 series grancoupe 30i which was starting to get too much to run (29mpg)
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2020, 04:45 PM   #9
bmwforme
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2023 X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJE60 View Post
As an aside, I have found the vehicle frontal collision warning to be very reliable.
Coming from a 2017 RAV4 with TSS (Toyota Safety Sense) standard, I thought the frontal collision warning in my X1 was horrid compared to that system.
Appreciate 1
      12-28-2020, 01:58 AM   #10
MJE60
Captain
England
Rep
Drives: BMW G01 xDrive M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwforme View Post
Coming from a 2017 RAV4 with TSS (Toyota Safety Sense) standard, I thought the frontal collision warning in my X1 was horrid compared to that system.
I said I think the vehicle (not pedestrian) frontal collision warning in the X1 is reliable because it has never let me down. Over 3 years of ownership there have been two occasions where it may have saved me a minor bump and another couple where it reminded me to keep a safer distance. I like that the sensitivity, early/mid or late can be selected by owner. I have never had to rely on the emergency braking function, the alarm and dash alert have been enough. The X1 system rarely gives a false alarm and if it does it is usually because of a sharp bend in the road so the system thought a collision was about to occur with oncoming vehicle or parked car. The X1 system does startle the driver but I think that is necessary/desirable, it creates a reaction and you are unlikely to be able to miss the alert.

I have not had the pleasure to drive a RAV4 with TSS and would welcome you explaining why it is better and why you think the X1 system is horrid in comparison. What specifically do you dislike/think bad about the x1 system? I confess I held onto my previous car before the x1 for too long so the X1is my first car with vehicle frontal collision warning, I am therefore an amateur in this respect.

Last edited by MJE60; 12-28-2020 at 02:14 AM..
Appreciate 1
      12-30-2020, 04:53 PM   #11
povdrive_from_youtube
Registered
Rep

dianebrat Yes this is what I did actually.. I added a link redirecting to bimmersport.com and also a link to this conversation, so the youtube traffic may end up here if they need more information. Thanks!
Appreciate 1
dianebrat109.50
      12-31-2020, 12:54 AM   #12
Xorbitman
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW X1

We took possession of our 2018 X1 with the executive package in January 2019. The vehicle will be 2 years old in less than a month and mostly because of Covid-19 we only have 23k kms or about 1/2 normal driving mileage. Also we have a summer sports car which is in storage during the winter from November 1st to April 1st of 5 months. We've had 0 issues with this vehicle in the first year and we've owned 10 vehicles the last 30 year mostly Japanese and most of them new: 1989 Ford Probe LX & 1986 Honda Civic as a 2nd vehicle; 1991 Honda Accord amazing vehicle however a just over 200K Kms the transmission blew and needed a repair costing close to $3k back then which wasn't worth it for a 6 year old car & Renault Hatch back (lemon); 1996 Mazda 626LX (Lemon) & Nissan Sentra (crappy vehicle); 2001 Nissan Maxima SE with 2002 Toyota Corolla (both amazing vehicles); 2004 Nissan Maxima GLE (horrible lemon); 2005 Nissan Maxima (buy back replacement by Nissan of 2004 & an amazing vehicle); 2012 Infiniti G37xS Coupe (never winter driven and an excellent vehicle with a few quirks and minor issues & Corolla was winter car); 2015 Subaru Impreza Sport Hatch (also a few annoying issues such as a loose shift sensor wire which took Subaru 1 year to finally correct / The key could not be removed and we had to start and stop the car to finally remove the key on several occasions, this was an intermittent issue and was a major aggravation, other than that the vehicle was quite good especially in winter; front headlight assembly had to be replaced due to condensation issues and the radio had to be replaced.); 2018 BMW X1 fully loaded. This is the first vehicle that we've driven that had 0 warranty issues in it's first year. However in the beginning of the second year, we had a bizarre issue with the brakes that had prematurely worn out and all 4 rotors and pads were changed after BMW discovered major rust and unusual pitting in the rotors. After complaining to BMW and the dealership and after they did a more thorough and extensive examination of the brakes they paid for the entire repair. I would recommend and I did remove the all season run flats in January when we took possession of the car as they are illegal here in winter. So I use the 18" wheels for winter and purchased 19" aftermarket wheels with performance tires for summer (245/40/19) which made a huge difference to how the car handles and how quiet it is in summer. I absolutely hate run flats and they explode in pot holes and are expensive to replace and do not handle well. Case in point, BMW now offers other tires as free options. I had trouble finding wheels for the X1 because of the unusual and new bolt pattern however now the industry has caught up and there's more variety. In June of 2019 I hired a BMW software programmer to add many features to the vehicle through the OBDII connector, features found in more expensive Bimmers. I added LED turns, fogs, tails which is software selectable in the ECU so you don't get the annoying strobe effect and require resistors: aftermarket LEDs have to be CAN BUS compatible (ECU Network). A few other features example: Stop/Go disabled on startup; mirrors closed on exit after holding the handle for an extra 5 seconds, brighter halos, ECU mod for more power from the turbo with a BMS Intake and a few other infotainment features. I love the HUD and the infotainment system with the optional 8.8" screen which I find to be one of the best. I added a rearview mirror with a compass with homelink which I found new on Ebay, a box that looks OEM for the space under the arm rest to hide personal items (Amazon or Ebay) and I added Pioneer tweeters and a powered Subwoofer with a remote that controls volume, a an active EQ and cross-over that fits perfectly in the hidden box to the left of the steering wheel under the dash and the sound quality has improved 100% so the door speakers act like upper mids and the bass speakers under the front seats like lower mids. The Sub fits under the floor cover and is attached to the trunk floor with industrial velcro and is also a perfect fit. I have the optional reclining rear seats and in Canada you can get the special acoustic glass to make the cabin even quieter. I have many other features too as this vehicle was fully equipped including a special paint protector. I vehicle came with the metallic white and with this paint protector, most dirt just washes off with a hose down. I also put the 3M clear anti-chip film on the hood, front headlights and over the rear bumper to avoid scratches and a great idea in retrospect. I have more power than an X3 or X4 and as a result of my software tune and with the 19" wheels and wider tires in sport mode with transmission and ECU the drive is sensational. I recommend the sport diff and the dynamic adjustable dampers. I came very close to getting a demo X3 M4.0 and have to honestly say that I don't regret it. I'm not a fan of all these electronic assistance such as dynamic cruise control and traffic assist as most of them don't work well in winter or in the rain. I find the front wheel drive based X drive system actually much better than the rear wheel drive based systems for winter driving especially with a set of proper winter tires. I look forward to my next BMW in a few years. My G is modified both in the engine and interior and is showroom condition with very low mileage for a 2012. I only drove it 2k Kms in 2020 due to the pandemic. For my next vehicle I may upgrade to an M version and sell my G. It will have to be better than what we have now and have the optional BMW calipers and a real sports suspension with more power. Although the new Audi Q3 doesn't have a HUD it has an optional larger display with the tech package and the Canadian version comes with the new smaller wheelbase platform like in Europe which is not available in the USA! It also has an updated version of the VW GTI engine which uses REGULAR gas with the same HP and TQ and with premium gas and an easy tune is good for well over 300 HP. The Merc is also a close competitor however I don't like the melted butter exterior. The newer Infiniti's have an inferior infotainment system. The Lexus in this category are boring while the Acura's interior in not up to the quality of the fit and finish. I'm not a fan of the Alpha Romeo because I like to travel for vacation long distances and don't want to take chances with parts not available and the same goes for the Jag. Honda CRV's are expensive and not as nice. The closest Japanese competitor is the Mazda CX-5 and although the interior is nice the interior is not up to the same level.

Last edited by Xorbitman; 12-31-2020 at 01:06 AM..
Appreciate 1
      01-10-2021, 03:47 PM   #13
plagm
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X3 30d 2021, 430d 2017, X1 20D

we have had two F48's

A 18d sdrive Xline and a 20d xdrive msport

If I bought either of them again it would be the Sdrive with a set of winter or all season tyres, this was a better car in the winter than the xdrive, more stable and safer. Xdrive with summer tyre was far inferior cost of winter set of tyres is a third of the cost of Xdrive. it was also 10mpg better on fuel.

the 20d was a bit quicker but heavier and if im honest its not the kind of car you hammer on a daily basis so the 150bhp 18d Sdrive day to day was as quick unless you were really trying.(and my own car is a 430d so I like quick but I would still pick 18d sdrive over 20d xdrive)

The Msport had the adaptive dampers and that was a waste of money (only bought because its a cheap option), on a x1 they are not very sophisticated and nowhere near as good as those on more expensive models..EG X3

The X1 in my opinion is the best in class I tried all the others, as I enjoy driving you can push the chassis much more than the competition. But I do think its over priced.

after 4 years in the 20d we are replacing it with a x3 thats due any day, buying on PCP and its £40 per month more ? no brainer.....

X1 is a good car but dont pay too much for one, 18d sdrive xline would be my pick, or maybe a 20i as we did consider a 20i as our 20d has had multiple issues egr system needing egr valves etc...one in warranty one not.
hope this was useful.
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2021, 10:45 PM   #14
Itsgoingtocostu
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2016 X1

My experience with an X1

We are in Canada, purchased a new 2016 X1 in June 2016. Fully serviced as required always at dealer. At 51266 km, one month and three days out of warranty we had an engine code. Needed a new water pump, oil pump, drive belt, pulley and purge valve. Our third one. These are nice to drive but get rid of it post warranty. We had injector codes within warranty and out of warranty only after really complaining to BMW did they agree to an 80/20 split on $8309.22 in repairs. Dealer stepped up have to admit. If you’re going to buy a used one, think again. Make sure you do your research and any reputable dealer will provide you with the key swipe history. If it hadn’t been serviced at BMW, you are in for a world of hurt financially. Make no mistake about that. Oil changes a huge influence on what they will do for you. We had one oil change 1300 km past and they (Germany where ours was built) claimed that caused the issue. Dealer pulled the pan, spotless. Pictures and and forth and after 16 days at dealer it was finally resolved. So, every time we go out to start it in the morning, we do so with some anxiety. Never sure it’s just going to work. Just our second car now, just saying.
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2021, 09:59 PM   #15
bmwmotorrad46
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

I drove 2007 328XI , 2014 335 X-Drive, 2017 MINI Cooper S and 2017 X1 2.8 X-Drive now

My car has around 23K miles but I bought when it was 8K miles.

This is the best front wheel driven all wheel drive system in the market, fun to drive and honestly I find this electric wheel system better than 2011-2017 X3-X4, 2014-2019 X5/X6 and the entire F3x series

During my 2+ year and 15K miles drive those things happened :
Sunroof got stuck open - entire sunroof replaced
One module in the gas tank failed
Front brakes ran out at 19K miles - which is unacceptable - I paid $500 to replace front rotors and pads from third party company - BMW quoted me $900

Luckily sunroof and other issue happened when it was still under warranty.

X1 is and still (after new Q3 arrived) the best car in its segment.

Pros: Handling, fun to drive, material quality, ride quality and economical
Cons: Small seats (borrowed from MINI) - average reliability
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2021, 10:03 PM   #16
bmwmotorrad46
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

I also took a test drive with M Sport 2.8 X Drive before bought mine (X-Line)

M Sport provides harsh ride, not practical to use because you need to watch out the pot holes, handling is slightly better, M Sport Steering Wheel looks awesome but exterior looks ridiculous, not classy in my opinion
Appreciate 0