05-08-2024, 10:33 AM   #23
Valvetronic Designs
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: We <3 them all

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haze View Post
That sounds really good. Do you have a sound clip of the sport exhaust?
this is that setup! this is just the valved sports exhaust with OEM downpipes
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2024, 10:37 AM   #24
Valvetronic Designs
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Berzerker View Post
Just a warning, titanium stuff is really loud. If you're looking to not go overboard, I wouldn't do anything titanium.
Hey there, this is not entirely correct. We just want to communicate our experience upon testing the car thoroughly at our facilities, back to back both stainless and titanium.

In regards to the overall volume systems, they are almost identical. The real difference between the systems is in the resonance and the interaction between the material and the exhaust pulses. We find that the titanium resonates to deliver the driver and more high frequency experience. This can be construed as ultimately louder, but it is more of a tone change. We find it is a more engaging sound characteristic when compared to the stainless steel. Is it a massive noticeable difference? Not really, but the titanium you save a good chunk of weight and the system is truly a piece of artwork under the vehicle.

Hopefully this helps anyone deciding between titanium and stainless. We've tested all the materials thoroughly so that we can offer the ultimate experience!
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2024, 12:07 PM   #25
Berzerker
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2024 M4 Convertible

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valvetronic Designs View Post
Hey there, this is not entirely correct. We just want to communicate our experience upon testing the car thoroughly at our facilities, back to back both stainless and titanium.

In regards to the overall volume systems, they are almost identical. The real difference between the systems is in the resonance and the interaction between the material and the exhaust pulses. We find that the titanium resonates to deliver the driver and more high frequency experience. This can be construed as ultimately louder, but it is more of a tone change. We find it is a more engaging sound characteristic when compared to the stainless steel. Is it a massive noticeable difference? Not really, but the titanium you save a good chunk of weight and the system is truly a piece of artwork under the vehicle.

Hopefully this helps anyone deciding between titanium and stainless. We've tested all the materials thoroughly so that we can offer the ultimate experience!
IMO "adding resonance" does not help with eliminating things like rasp and drone. I think you alluded to that when you talk about it delivering a more "high frequency experience," which to me, and most other people here is just straight up calling it more raspy. I'm not really sure what you mean by "not entirely correct." In most applications, the point of titanium exhausts, while they are lighter, are to give a more specific, louder, exhaust note for people that want it.

I get that you're trying to sell a product, but OP wants something that's not going to go overboard and is very concerned about things like drone and rasp and warranty issues.

I get that people like your products but I don't think it's appropriate for OP here.

Haze no amount of watching these videos is going to give you an accurate experience of actually driving and owning these systems. I listened to a ton of videos, got a bunch of people's advice, and specifically was told by owners and the actual manufacturer that the setup I went for was going to have zero drone when I was looking, all of that info was wrong when all was said and done. I learned my lesson that you really need to try and find an example to listen in real life and actually sit in the car.

The only thing I can recommend for sure is the midpipe-only swap. It's the only setup I've personally experienced where you're going to literally have zero drone and the ability to still keep the car completely silent when you want it.

Last edited by Berzerker; 05-08-2024 at 12:13 PM..
Appreciate 3
      05-08-2024, 04:19 PM   #26
Valvetronic Designs
United_States
Rep

Quote:
IMO "adding resonance" does not help with eliminating things like rasp and drone. I think you alluded to that when you talk about it delivering a more "high frequency experience," which to me, and most other people here is just straight up calling it more raspy. I'm not really sure what you mean by "not entirely correct." In most applications, the point of titanium exhausts, while they are lighter, are to give a more specific, louder, exhaust note for people that want it.

I get that you're trying to sell a product, but OP wants something that's not going to go overboard and is very concerned about things like drone and rasp and warranty issues.

I get that people like your products but I don't think it's appropriate for OP here.

Haze no amount of watching these videos is going to give you an accurate experience of actually driving and owning these systems. I listened to a ton of videos, got a bunch of people's advice, and specifically was told by owners and the actual manufacturer that the setup I went for was going to have zero drone when I was looking, all of that info was wrong when all was said and done. I learned my lesson that you really need to try and find an example to listen in real life and actually sit in the car.

The only thing I can recommend for sure is the midpipe-only swap. It's the only setup I've personally experienced where you're going to literally have zero drone and the ability to still keep the car completely silent when you want it.
We address the rasp and drone in a few ways, including the equal length design we use, the large single extension of the midpipe, as well as our muffler design. Both our titanium and stainless systems are #1 sellers for a very good reason. We cater to all preferences and deliver the very best experience possible
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2024, 02:07 AM   #27
Chi58
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: g82

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valvetronic Designs View Post
We address the rasp and drone in a few ways, including the equal length design we use, the large single extension of the midpipe, as well as our muffler design. Both our titanium and stainless systems are #1 sellers for a very good reason. We cater to all preferences and deliver the very best experience possible
You have a good marketing team and that’s is huge for sales.
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2024, 10:10 AM   #28
E63M6_G42M240i
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 TR G80 M3CX

What I don’t get is all these aftermarket axle back options essentially do is straight pipe when the valves are open, amplifying a shitty tone. Not like the s58 is a v8 or v10. The idea of valves is great but I also like having the right tone/volume no matter the mode.
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2024, 12:44 PM   #29
mike@x-ph.com
United_States
Rep

Drives: 07-335/12-328/18-M4/21-M4CP

Quote:
Originally Posted by E63M6_G42M240i View Post
What I don’t get is all these aftermarket axle back options essentially do is straight pipe when the valves are open, amplifying a shitty tone. Not like the s58 is a v8 or v10. The idea of valves is great but I also like having the right tone/volume no matter the mode.
the market is filled with options with different designs and prices.

Phone number 702-494-9435
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2024, 01:06 PM   #30
Berzerker
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2024 M4 Convertible

Garage List
Quote:
The stock axleback is already mostly straight-piped with the valves fully open anyway. At least in my experience, the AA axleback gives you an even deeper, louder tone than what you get with the single midpipe. I'd highly recommend you get a resonated midpipe if you're going with the axleback though, but it didn't just make the midpipe sound louder.
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2024, 01:56 PM   #31
Info@mad-us.com
Rep

Drives: bmw

Quote:
While this is true in regards to the axle back you can change the tone with the design of the muffler, size, packing and the amount of flow the muffler receives from the connecting pipes even with the valves fully open.

Piping material and metal thickness can also play a roll in the overall sound.

Last edited by Info@mad-us.com; 05-09-2024 at 02:21 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2024, 05:14 PM   #32
E63M6_G42M240i
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
The stock axleback is already mostly straight-piped with the valves fully open anyway. At least in my experience, the AA axleback gives you an even deeper, louder tone than what you get with the single midpipe. I'd highly recommend you get a resonated midpipe if you're going with the axleback though, but it didn't just make the midpipe sound louder.
Correct, but the oem midpipe has dual resonators and a set of high flow cats. Mostly straight thru is less of an issue in that circumstance. The problem I see is in aftermarket catbacks (especially those unresonated). Then you couple that with perhaps an even more aggressive open valve system (less muffled) and damn.

It’s like you should either do a midpipe OR an axle back, but not both. I like the idea where the axle back goes through a muffler system no matter what, with an external valve controller to quiet it down a little, particularly on cold starts or other situations (my wife and kids lol). Then, you could hypothetically be more aggressive with the pre axle back.
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2024, 09:03 AM   #33
Info@mad-us.com
Rep

Quote:
Correct, but the oem midpipe has dual resonators and a set of high flow cats. Mostly straight thru is less of an issue in that circumstance. The problem I see is in aftermarket catbacks (especially those unresonated). Then you couple that with perhaps an even more aggressive open valve system (less muffled) and damn.

It’s like you should either do a midpipe OR an axle back, but not both. I like the idea where the axle back goes through a muffler system no matter what, with an external valve controller to quiet it down a little, particularly on cold starts or other situations (my wife and kids lol). Then, you could hypothetically be more aggressive with the pre axle back.
So you would like connecting pipes that allow more flow to the muffler even when the valves are 100% open . Larger connecting pipes and angled so they catch more of the flow from the main piping.
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2024, 09:30 AM   #34
E63M6_G42M240i
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Info@mad-us.com View Post
So you would like connecting pipes that allow more flow to the muffler even when the valves are 100% open . Larger connecting pipes and angled so they catch more of the flow from the main piping.
Yes.
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2024, 09:28 PM   #35
Info@mad-us.com
Rep

Quote:
Yes.
We will get to work
Appreciate 1
      05-10-2024, 09:48 PM   #36
kgelfen360
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW

I am with Berzerker

I don’t want to name the brand to not offend the vendors here. But my neighbor has titanium set up (stock downpipes) and it is insanely loud. He himself told me if he did it again he would not do it.
Appreciate 1
Haze4.50
      05-10-2024, 11:56 PM   #37
E63M6_G42M240i
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Info@mad-us.com View Post
We will get to work
🙌
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2024, 03:20 AM   #38
Haze
Rep
Drives: 2024 m4 competition x drive

Garage List
2024 BMW m4  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by kgelfen360 View Post
I am with Berzerker

I don’t want to name the brand to not offend the vendors here. But my neighbor has titanium set up (stock downpipes) and it is insanely loud. He himself told me if he did it again he would not do it.
Thank you. From the videos I have watched, titanium doesn't have the sound I enjoy. Some sound raspy and have that tin can sound to it. From all the videos I've watched, the Mad Resonated midpipe sounds good and AA pipes sound good too. A couple of the valvetronic videos sound good too. I need to take some notes this week.
Appreciate 2
kgelfen3602293.00
Berzerker3072.50
      05-13-2024, 10:58 AM   #39
mike@x-ph.com
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haze View Post
Thank you. From the videos I have watched, titanium doesn't have the sound I enjoy. Some sound raspy and have that tin can sound to it. From all the videos I've watched, the Mad Resonated midpipe sounds good and AA pipes sound good too. A couple of the valvetronic videos sound good too. I need to take some notes this week.
All good options, let us know which one you get

Appreciate 0
      05-13-2024, 03:58 PM   #40
Info@mad-us.com
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by kgelfen360 View Post
I am with Berzerker

Titanium setups are definitely not for everyone but they do have a group of people that love them.
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2024, 10:21 PM   #41
cozye
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2024 M3 Comp - 328ix (hers)

Quote:

In this scenario, how would it be any quieter with the valves closed? I mean, when you want the valves open, you want it louder anyway so I’m not sure why you would want flow through the muffler with valves open?

FWIW, the AWE system maintains the secondary cats, even with the midpipe option. It’s not overly loud with valves open. Like 10-20% louder maybe than with valves closed.
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2024, 10:50 PM   #42
E63M6_G42M240i
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Valves act like mufflers themselves when they are closed.
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2024, 10:23 AM   #43
mike@x-ph.com
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by cozye View Post
FWIW, the AWE system maintains the secondary cats, even with the midpipe option. It’s not overly loud with valves open. Like 10-20% louder maybe than with valves closed.
+1 the AWE is an excellent option for customers looking for a mild sound increase.

Adding catted downpipes to this system gives it a lot more sound while keeping the nice and clean tone

Appreciate 0
      05-14-2024, 11:57 AM   #44
Info@mad-us.com
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by cozye View Post
In this scenario, how would it be any quieter with the valves closed? I mean, when you want the valves open, you want it louder anyway so I’m not sure why you would want flow through the muffler with valves open?

When the valves are closed 100% of the flow is traveling through the muffler. The size and packing material in the muffler will dictate how loud it is.

What he is suggesting is allowing some of the exhaust flow to travel through the muffler naturally even when the valves are fully open so that it regulates the sound and it's not just a raspy straight pipe. Bmw is doing this by closing down the valves to around 40% in (open mode) and forcing the air into the muffler causing some back pressure in the process.

The result would be similar to adding a resonator inline that is always doing its job regardless of the valve angle.
Appreciate 0