BMW
X1 / X2
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos 2023 Lucid Air Sapphire Gets 1200-Plus HP And a Sub-Two-Second 0-60

09-29-2022, 03:28 AM   #67
Sophisticated Redneck
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW X5 50i

Many of you fine gentlemen keep repeating that EV's are soulless and boring....I beg to differ, after watching the video below I am now convinced EV's can be extremely exciting and fun, it just takes the right mix of creativity, passion, and motivation. (5:15 is the money shot, 6:35 for slomo of a Tesla accelerating to near the speed of sound in under a millisecond, Good luck beating that Lucid)

Last edited by Sophisticated Redneck; 09-29-2022 at 03:48 AM..
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2022, 04:22 AM   #68
BGM-M3COMP
The Ben Shapiro of this place. I never lose! LOL
Rep
Drives: 12 plaids on order

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by RM7 View Post
The real question is, should automakers follow the money by making cars for the 99% of people that just want to get from point A to B and straight line performance? Volume of sales will make this the lucrative business model for almost every automaker, just look at all the former “sports car” automakers shifting to SUVs for volume. Because what you care about in a car wont make money unless it gets more and more expensive/in reach of only those who can afford to pay ridiculous prices for it.
It's impossible to make a car 99% of people want. Otherwise that is called a perfect car.

Tesla makes cars that fit people's needs in TODAY'S WORLD. A time where people think "we're not ready" for this EV transition yet.

It doesn't matter how you slice it, since people like running around this argument, tesla has built a system that works TODAY. The network, the range, the performance and the price. Nothing comes close to it when you want to have all of that.

Car makers can make 30k EV's. But it doesn't have the performance and range.

Car makers can make a 2000hp super sedan EV but then it costs double the top price tesla super sedan. And it still doesn't have the network tesla has.

I'm starting to realize, actually nah i already knew, it's not so much about people being against EV's, but mainly tesla. Well first they have a problem with tesla, then they have a problem with EV's overall.

But weird because the model 3 and Y are the best selling EV's right now.

The model s plaid has become the gold standard in performance measurements when considering straight line speed.

Everyone is chasing tesla, trying to beat it at it's own game. But still fall short when considering everything overall.

Car makers will need time to catch up.
      09-29-2022, 09:46 AM   #69
RM7
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: Camaro SS 1LE

Quote:
Originally Posted by BGM-M3COMP View Post
It's impossible to make a car 99% of people want. Otherwise that is called a perfect car.

Tesla makes cars that fit people's needs in TODAY'S WORLD. A time where people think "we're not ready" for this EV transition yet.

It doesn't matter how you slice it, since people like running around this argument, tesla has built a system that works TODAY. The network, the range, the performance and the price. Nothing comes close to it when you want to have all of that.

Car makers can make 30k EV's. But it doesn't have the performance and range.

Car makers can make a 2000hp super sedan EV but then it costs double the top price tesla super sedan. And it still doesn't have the network tesla has.

I'm starting to realize, actually nah i already knew, it's not so much about people being against EV's, but mainly tesla. Well first they have a problem with tesla, then they have a problem with EV's overall.

But weird because the model 3 and Y are the best selling EV's right now.

The model s plaid has become the gold standard in performance measurements when considering straight line speed.

Everyone is chasing tesla, trying to beat it at it's own game. But still fall short when considering everything overall.

Car makers will need time to catch up.
Id say most cars are 35-40k now, maybe even closer to 40, 30k is like back in the 2000s. The car 99% of what people want is an SUV with some pep, the flavor may change slightly depending on the manufacturer, but its “one car type” and that will constitute the majority of sales. Selling sports car models or even sedans is not cost effective and the further we go in the future, the less and less it will be. So many reasons for this, the emphasis that people need to start a family, buy a house, work crazy hours/commutes to pay for it all, buy a jet ski, etc. Nothing wrong with ANY of this, but it tends to not leave a lot of room for most people to do stuff like own a car with 2 seats…
Appreciate 1
Cos270608.50
      09-29-2022, 10:01 AM   #70
Donatello.
How's My Driving?
Rep
Drives: Hellcat & Miata

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sophisticated Redneck View Post
Many of you fine gentlemen keep repeating that EV's are soulless and boring....I beg to differ, after watching the video below I am now convinced EV's can be extremely exciting and fun, it just takes the right mix of creativity, passion, and motivation. (5:15 is the money shot, 6:35 for slomo of a Tesla accelerating to near the speed of sound in under a millisecond, Good luck beating that Lucid)

& the right mix of fake exhaust noises? PASS
Appreciate 1
TupperBMW976.50
      09-29-2022, 10:13 AM   #71
Mingwan
Major
Rep
Drives: X1 Individual custom paint

Impressive numbers. I've seen several in person and couldn't believe how large they actually are. Still not a fan of the brand name. Lucid Air sounds like something Gal Gadot would call her fart jar line up if she had one.
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2022, 01:45 PM   #72
BGM-M3COMP
The Ben Shapiro of this place. I never lose! LOL
Rep
Drives: 12 plaids on order

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by RM7 View Post
Id say most cars are 35-40k now, maybe even closer to 40, 30k is like back in the 2000s. The car 99% of what people want is an SUV with some pep, the flavor may change slightly depending on the manufacturer, but its “one car type” and that will constitute the majority of sales. Selling sports car models or even sedans is not cost effective and the further we go in the future, the less and less it will be. So many reasons for this, the emphasis that people need to start a family, buy a house, work crazy hours/commutes to pay for it all, buy a jet ski, etc. Nothing wrong with ANY of this, but it tends to not leave a lot of room for most people to do stuff like own a car with 2 seats…

A lot of people do want suvs but I wouldn’t say 99%. Otherwise nothing else would be sold or desired.

Sports cars will always sell, as long as the car is “sporty” to them. People still buy mustangs and corvettes when in that price bracket they could get an m3 or something mercedes etc.

Car makers aren’t going to limit their lineup to a one stop shop car when they can make multiple, even if the power train, or should I say the battery pack is the same.

I didn’t get the model y long range because it’s slower than my model 3 long range. And I want that “suv” like look of the Y.

So I think if the performance allows it, sports cars will sell. Not everyone will just settle for an suv as their only car of the household. Family or not.
      09-29-2022, 01:50 PM   #73
CarsAndGuitars
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2022 M240i

I tried to find a flattering sporty pic of the Y

But still I see this

AlexFL7833.00
TupperBMW976.50
      09-29-2022, 07:13 PM   #74
Donatello.
How's My Driving?
Rep
Drives: Hellcat & Miata

I finally heard the dumb noises Teslas can make in person today as a Model 3 drove by me down the right making some space noises. So stupid.
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2022, 01:47 PM   #75
absent
Registered
Rep
Drives: '22 Alpina B7, '21 MB G63

Quote:
Originally Posted by TupperBMW View Post
For sure the acceleration is great, but even you have to admit....how much faster can you go than 0-60 in under 2 seconds without it literally just getting dangerous? I mean, it legitimately becomes a safety issue where drivers can pass out if they accelerate much faster. The same Government that is FORCING people into EVs is eventually going to mandate an acceleration ceiling on new cars, and that's the end of that.

Moreover....the sound. There is no sound. No smell. No vibration. If that doesn't matter to you then that's cool, but aftermarket exhaust parts are a multibillion dollar industry. I just spent $7k on a titanium exhaust for my R8. People want this stuff. I just don't know how any EV will manage to replace that without fake noise, and the lack of authenticity right there will be a HUGE turn off for many. Sigh.....
The car makers will offer elaborate sound systems to play the fake sounds of a V12 or V8.
Instead of bragging about having a Borla, Akrapovic or Capristo, folks will try to impress with how many Watts their speakers have.....
I'm afraid we are witnessing the death throws of something called a "car enthusiast", my personal vice (and most of other car guys/gals) is not being able to leave the newly acquired car alone and modifying it to get even more performance and or individuality out of it.
Some are happy with only cosmetic "improvements" (not always with succesful execution) but a large group (maybe even larger) of people prefer working on actual performance and handling gains.
The first group can still continue working on EV cars but the rest of us?
Appreciate 1
Cos270608.50
      10-04-2022, 02:32 PM   #76
CarsAndGuitars
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2022 M240i

Quote:
Originally Posted by absent View Post
The car makers will offer elaborate sound systems to play the fake sounds of a V12 or V8.
Instead of bragging about having a Borla, Akrapovic or Capristo, folks will try to impress with how many Watts their speakers have.....
I'm afraid we are witnessing the death throws of something called a "car enthusiast", my personal vice (and most of other car guys/gals) is not being able to leave the newly acquired car alone and modifying it to get even more performance and or individuality out of it.
Some are happy with only cosmetic "improvements" (not always with succesful execution) but a large group (maybe even larger) of people prefer working on actual performance and handling gains.
The first group can still continue working on EV cars but the rest of us?
Who will be the high bidder to license the Jetsons car sound from the Hanna-Barbera estate?
      10-04-2022, 02:43 PM   #77
Humdizzle
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: GT3 + M2c

dodge is already working on the sound issue with their EV muscle car. apparently they have the EV motor moving air through some sound chamber. therefore it is a 'real' sound created by the motor and not fake. I think at the presser the guy was like "it'll wake your neighbors and the cdc might try to ban it!"

Quote:
The other two patent-pending features that Dodge wants to emphasize have equally absurd-sounding names. The first is the “Fratzonic Chambered Exhaust,” which Dodge claims can reach 126 decibels, “making it as loud as a Hellcat-powered Dodge.” And the second is a multispeed transmission with an electro-mechanical shifting experience that the automaker is calling “eRupt.”

(“Fratzonic” is a reference to a logo Dodge used in the 1960s and ’70s called the “Fratzog,” — a word made up by a designer. It features a split deltoid made of three arrowhead shapes that form a three-pointed star.)

The new system pushes sound through an amplifier and tuning chamber located at the rear of the vehicle. Kuniskis, speaking to CNBC, compared it to a wind organ with chambers and pipes.

“We said, ‘OK, if it’s going to happen, let’s do it like Dodge,’” Kuniskis told reporters. “We’re not going to go there and do the same thing. Dodge is going to get lost if we try to do the same thing as everybody else.”
https://www.theverge.com/2022/8/18/2...-exhaust-sound

2018 Porsche GT3 6MT
2021 M2C DCT
Previous: Ferrari 458 | R35 GTR | F80 M3 | E46 M3 | E36 M3 | Scion FRS
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2022, 04:11 PM   #78
AlexFL
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Humdizzle View Post
dodge is already working on the sound issue with their EV muscle car. apparently they have the EV motor moving air through some sound chamber. therefore it is a 'real' sound created by the motor and not fake. I think at the presser the guy was like "it'll wake your neighbors and the cdc might try to ban it!"
url]
Sorry, but this is idiocy. What’s next for Dodge? An electric motor that shakes driver’s seat to imitate gear shifts?
Appreciate 1
Cos270608.50