BMW
X1 / X2
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos 2023 Lucid Air Sapphire Gets 1200-Plus HP And a Sub-Two-Second 0-60

09-26-2022, 11:29 PM   #23
RM7
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: Camaro SS 1LE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Humdizzle View Post
That's great. But the EV will never be a weekend gt3 or 458 for me. It's an everyday tool designed to eat up mindless miles. If you got $250k for a commuter car good for you, you're winning at life.
I have friends that put the sticky tires on their cars and come out and race on the weekend...in EVs. Instant torque makes up for a lot and with decent turning it becomes Godzilla. The EVs in the Pikes Peak race were pretty telling too. Sure, they aren't winning it...but they are eating into the field like crazy and in just a couple years what they are doing is absolutely amazing. They won't dominate every racing category, but the writing is on the walls for some.

Those who can't, assume everyone else can't too...
      09-26-2022, 11:30 PM   #24
RM7
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: Camaro SS 1LE

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexFL View Post
If I was crazy enough to spend that kind of money on an EV, I would get the Taycan Turbo S Sport Turismo.
Or the Audi GT. But then again...just depends on how insane you want to get.
      09-27-2022, 02:48 AM   #25
mjr24
Colonel
Rep
Drives: M8 Comp GC, X7, AMG GT53

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donatello. View Post
LOL you are either being obtuse on purpose or legit clueless
I've seen "obtuse" used twice on this forum in the last couple days. Did Netflix run Shawshank Redemption or something last week? I don't think I've ever heard anyone use that word in real life besides Warden Norton.
2022 M8 Comp GC, 2021 AMG GT53, 2022 X5M Competition, 2021 X7 40i, 2019 M5, 2018 M550I, 2017 Audi Q7, 2014 M6 GC, 2013 Mercedes CLS550, 2011 750LI, 2008 M6 Cabrio, 2008 Porsche Cayenne S, 2004 Mercedes SL55 AMG, 2003 Mercedes SL500, 2000 Mercedes CL500, 1993 Lexus SC400, 1989 525i, 1985 318i
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2022, 05:23 AM   #26
G MONEY
Major
Rep
Drives: 2017 458/ YAS m4

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjr24 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donatello. View Post
LOL you are either being obtuse on purpose or legit clueless
I've seen "obtuse" used twice on this forum in the last couple days. Did Netflix run Shawshank Redemption or something last week? I don't think I've ever heard anyone use that word in real life besides Warden Norton.
Ha ha. I was thinking the same thing. "Give him another week to think about it" 😉
Appreciate 1
mjr241627.50
      09-27-2022, 04:21 PM   #27
chris719
Major General
Rep
Drives: '08 M Roadster

Quote:
That's great. But the EV will never be a weekend gt3 or 458 for me. It's an everyday tool designed to eat up mindless miles. If you got $250k for a commuter car good for you, you're winning at life.
Sure, a Lucid Air isn't a GT3. However, isn't every other car it competes with a mindless mile eater also? An S class Merc or whatever isn't the pinnacle of automotive excitement.

I see lots of people claiming they hate EVs because they are soulless, but honestly, 99% of ICE cars are soulless. I actually think the Model 3 has more character than the F30 3 series (non M), and that car is pretty good when you compare it to the market at large. No one will be waxing poetic about the days of their 2016 Accord, Camry, CR-V, etc. Lexus spent decades of engineering trying to hide the fact that an ICE car has an ICE, and now people are bitching about it, lol. I will absolutely take an EV over a shitty 2.0L engine with CVT that owns the regular market now.

I think you can make that comparison fairly when a true EV sports car comes out.
Appreciate 3
BGM-M3COMP2326.50
Humdizzle6024.00
      09-27-2022, 04:36 PM   #28
CarsAndGuitars
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2022 M240i

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris719 View Post
Sure, a Lucid Air isn't a GT3. However, isn't every other car it competes with a mindless mile eater also? An S class Merc or whatever isn't the pinnacle of automotive excitement.

I see lots of people claiming they hate EVs because they are soulless, but honestly, 99% of ICE cars are soulless. I actually think the Model 3 has more character than the F30 3 series (non M), and that car is pretty good when you compare it to the market at large. No one will be waxing poetic about the days of their 2016 Accord, Camry, CR-V, etc. Lexus spent decades of engineering trying to hide the fact that an ICE car has an ICE, and now people are bitching about it, lol. I will absolutely take an EV over a shitty 2.0L engine with CVT that owns the regular market now.

I think you can make that comparison fairly when a true EV sports car comes out.
I made the mistake of driving a very well respected 2.0L (2018 Audi A5) and was bored to tears. Fortunately, I was able to get out of my lease ~5 months early. I wouldn't take a CVT-based vehicle for free, but my son and daughter each love their 2L CVT Civics.

For most people a car whether powered by gasoline, electricity or cow shit is an appliance and an Accord or CRV suits them just fine - as likely would a hybrid or EV.

If Lexus making cars luxurious and quiet is what you mean, that was appealing to a market for ICE vehicles that are luxurious and quiet. Soul <> loud and soul / personality does not automatically increase with exhaust decibels.

The Model 3 is another jelly bean car and probably 40-50% of them are white with 2 offered wheel interior options in that already sparse interior. What is personable about the Model 3?

But for those of us who want a car with some personality, there is an endless list of examples over the past 20, 50, or 100 years depending on your individual sweet spot.
      09-27-2022, 04:37 PM   #29
freakystyly
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: F22 B58 6MT

It's true 99.9% of the budget ICE cars can go away into darkness. But it also leaves a hole because there are no budget EVs.
Appreciate 4
chris7197273.00
Cos270608.50
TupperBMW976.50
      09-27-2022, 05:13 PM   #30
BGM-M3COMP
The Ben Shapiro of this place. I never lose! LOL
Rep
Drives: 12 plaids on order

Garage List
Quote:

I sound like a broken record but my model 3 is the BEST daily i ever had, in over 2 decades of driving. And probably top 3 my best car purchases.

You're absolutely right. People are ok with slow ass manuals. Or so and so car maker making so and so car (cars THEY WILL NOT BUY), just because it's ICE. So they see ICE cars being made, they're happy. Because it's ICE. It could be a fucking 1 cylinder car, costs 7k brand new and is totally unreliable. Something they think is stupid. But because it's ICE and they hate EV, they'll give a thumbs up to it.

It's fucking so stupid the way people think.

It's always charging this and charging that. Most EV's are ugly. We need 3000 mile range on one charge. It has no soul. It's heavy. It's not good for the environment. What about the grid. It won't corner. Blah blah.

Meanwhile what paved the way with this technology is tesla. A brand that introduced their first car the model s 10 years ago.

10 years later it became the fastest production car at 9.2 @ 155. Someone did weight reduction and ran 8.8.

Everyone is chasing this car. People are modifying their high end exotic cars JUST TO BEAT a plaid and get a win for ICE.

Meanwhile the fucking car could be an uber monday-friday, and then destroy everything on the weekend and even do 60-130 pulls in 4.x seconds.

Times are changing. And thank god it's changing this way.
      09-27-2022, 05:33 PM   #31
G MONEY
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BGM-M3COMP View Post
Quote:

I sound like a broken record but my model 3 is the BEST daily i ever had, in over 2 decades of driving. And probably top 3 my best car purchases.

You're absolutely right. People are ok with slow ass manuals. Or so and so car maker making so and so car (cars THEY WILL NOT BUY), just because it's ICE. So they see ICE cars being made, they're happy. Because it's ICE. It could be a fucking 1 cylinder car, costs 7k brand new and is totally unreliable. Something they think is stupid. But because it's ICE and they hate EV, they'll give a thumbs up to it.

It's always charging this and charging that. Most EV's are ugly. We need 3000 mile range on one charge. It has no soul. It's heavy. It's not good for the environment. What about the grid. It won't corner. Blah blah.

Meanwhile what paved the way with this technology is tesla. A brand that introduced their first car the model s 10 years ago.

10 years later it became the fastest production car at 9.2 @ 155. Someone did weight reduction and ran 8.8.

Everyone is chasing this car. People are modifying their high end exotic cars JUST TO BEAT a plaid and get a win for ICE.

Meanwhile the fucking car could be an uber monday-friday, and then destroy everything on the weekend and even do 60-130 pulls in 4.x seconds.

Yawn
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2022, 05:59 PM   #32
CarsAndGuitars
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:

No it can't be an uber because no smart business person is going to pay its sticker and then spend 1/4 of their day "filling the tank."

Let's see a $30k EV with 300+ mile range, good merging / passing performance and 10 minutes to a full tank, you know like an ICE, then the public will be interested. No one wants to move backwards in convenience or cost to fulfill virtue signaling.
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2022, 06:13 PM   #33
BGM-M3COMP
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarsAndGuitars View Post
No it can't be an uber because no smart business person is going to pay its sticker and then spend 1/4 of their day "filling the tank."

Let's see a $30k EV with 300+ mile range, good merging / passing performance and 10 minutes to a full tank, you know like an ICE, then the public will be interested. No one wants to move backwards in convenience or cost to fulfill virtue signaling.

You do realize there's an increase of teslas becoming uber each year right?

Do you also know that uber has said EVERYONE has to switch to an EV by 2030 or else YOU CAN NOT drive as an uber. Not an option, they said either switch to an EV or don't drive for uber.

So idk where you argument is. I guess if you're talking about today? Or are you talking about the future?

The future has your argument cooked dude. I hate to say.

You're battling against time which isn't your friend. And time is only helping out EV's lol

EDIT: Btw, please join the TURO facebook group.

There are 2 cars right now that EVERYONE IS ADDING TO THEIR FLEET.

The model 3.

And a C8 stingray (if they can get one).

They know where the money makers are
      09-27-2022, 06:17 PM   #34
G MONEY
Major
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

Do you also know that uber has said EVERYONE has to switch to an EV by 2030 or else YOU CAN NOT drive as an uber. Not an option, they said either switch to an EV or don't drive for uber.

So idk where you argument is. I guess if you're talking about today? Or are you talking about the future?

The future has your argument cooked dude. I hate to say.

You're battling against time which isn't your friend. And time is only helping out EV's lol

EDIT: Btw, please join the TURO facebook group.

There are 2 cars right now that EVERYONE IS ADDING TO THEIR FLEET.

The model 3.

And a C8 stingray (if they can get one).

They know where the money makers are
Yawn
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2022, 06:24 PM   #35
CarsAndGuitars
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
You did say Model S in your last post. Are you walking that back by saying "Teslas". If not please provide a source of a newsworthy number of Model S's in Uber service.

Quote:
A CA company preparing to be compliant with their home state and the lemming states - shocking.
      09-27-2022, 06:51 PM   #36
BGM-M3COMP
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
You did say Model S in your last post. Are you walking that back by saying "Teslas". If not please provide a source of a newsworthy number of Model S's in Uber service.

A CA company preparing to be compliant with their home state and the lemming states - shocking.
I mentioned model s because it was tesla's first production car to go on sale. That's relevant to the discussion.

I then mentioned the model 3 because it's the most sought after model tesla has. And the best selling EV. The model 3 and Y.

I mean it's ok, other car makers also have time on their side to catch up to tesla. Even though tesla is still 10 years ahead of everyone. They just released their updated software last week. It's amazing.

I personally wouldn't get a model s just for uber. But it's cool you can. And run a 9.2 whenever you feel like it
      09-27-2022, 07:10 PM   #37
BGM-M3COMP
Rep

Garage List
I love our future!!! LOL

09-27-2022, 08:56 PM   #38
Humdizzle
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: GT3 + M2c

Quote:
Originally Posted by RM7 View Post
I have friends that put the sticky tires on their cars and come out and race on the weekend...in EVs. Instant torque makes up for a lot and with decent turning it becomes Godzilla. The EVs in the Pikes Peak race were pretty telling too. Sure, they aren't winning it...but they are eating into the field like crazy and in just a couple years what they are doing is absolutely amazing. They won't dominate every racing category, but the writing is on the walls for some.

Those who can't, assume everyone else can't too...
no doubt EV will eventually take over. personally i prefer lightweight over power for a sports car. an m3p is still like 4200 pounds no?

Quote:

i definitely agree with you. 99% of ice cars are soul less. that includes the non-m BMWs and most mercedes. I would prefer an accord/civic be EV. same with the S class or G wagon. They are better suited for an EV powertrain than a v8tt. My issue, and this is a personal one, is that the model 3 is still too expensive for what it is. waiting for used ones to drop below 20k before i consider.

in terms of EV sports cars im curious how the EV cayman/boxster will do. keeping my mind open.

2018 Porsche GT3 6MT
2021 M2C DCT
Previous: Ferrari 458 | R35 GTR | F80 M3 | E46 M3 | E36 M3 | Scion FRS
Appreciate 2
kyriian872.00
Cos270608.50
      09-28-2022, 04:36 AM   #39
10"
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: orange BMW 1M.

Quote:
Quote:

I hit my cringe quota for the day reading this electric rant.
      09-28-2022, 08:51 AM   #40
TupperBMW
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2022 M850i Gran Coupe

Quote:
Yep

Going slower with a V8 or V10 is an event

I have the money for a fast EV but I don’t want one. I want a slower EV with plenty of range and comfort that I and my family can enjoy, and won’t break the bank

These fast EV’s are a gimmick for people who’ve never driven a fast car before and they will eat it up. But I will always prefer a high-displacement, ICE sports car to spend real $$ on and the market seems to indicate that this is what people with the means want as well
Appreciate 1
Humdizzle6024.00
      09-28-2022, 08:55 AM   #41
TupperBMW
Captain
Rep

Quote:
I love our future!!! LOL

But it’s so ugly

As long as I don’t have to own a Tesla, I’m fine with them existing. They are like Honda Accords now. And their speed doesn’t change that, they are just an afterthought meant to be ignored.

The Lucid Air feels way more special, but I would never throw away my money on that. I’d still take a V12 Ferrari or Lambo over that, every single time.
Appreciate 1
Cos270608.50
      09-28-2022, 09:01 AM   #42
CarsAndGuitars
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TupperBMW View Post
But it’s so ugly

As long as I don’t have to own a Tesla, I’m fine with them existing. They are like Honda Accords now. And their speed doesn’t change that, they are just an afterthought meant to be ignored.

The Lucid Air feels way more special, but I would never throw away my money on that. I’d still take a V12 Ferrari or Lambo over that, every single time.
If I want that feeling, I can go to Universal Orlando and ride the Rockin Roller Coaster and save about $59,800. The novelty of that thrill will not last for most.
      09-28-2022, 09:08 AM   #43
TupperBMW
Captain
Rep

I've got a friend who owns a 69 Camaro (V8), another family car, and a Tesla Model Y that he just bought.

He says that despite the acceleration he gets no joy out of that car and prefers to drive his Camaro, he is already thinking about selling it, LOL

Now let me be clear, I am a HUGE fan of Elon Musk, he is quite frankly one of my most favorite people on Earth. And I like how he is transforming the car industry. But you can't make me like something. You can hit me over the head with your Tesla performance numbers but........you aren't getting me excited.

Teslas just aren't special. They are lame. When the real car makers start producing EVs in masse for the public, I will take interest. I've driven the Taycan and it's meh. We need a good 5-10 more years and hopefully they will come up with something more engaging and interesting, but right now no thanks.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4W...lUKB1w8ED5bV2Q
Appreciate 2
      09-28-2022, 11:38 AM   #44
M3WC
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by TupperBMW View Post
Teslas just aren't special. They are lame. When the real car makers start producing EVs in masse for the public, I will take interest. I've driven the Taycan and it's meh. We need a good 5-10 more years and hopefully they will come up with something more engaging and interesting, but right now no thanks.
10+ years to build a true enthusiasts EV, something tossible. 3500lbs max, rwd, 350hp min, 300mile range. Can not build that car until new battery tech arrives.

For now, EV party trick is 0-60 under 2sec in 5000+ lbs luxobarges with heavy 100+kwh battery packs. That will get old and already is yesterdays news. They are all the same. The only EV with personality is the Rivian with it's quad motors.
Appreciate 0