BMW
X1 / X2
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW X1 (F48) and X2 (F39) Forums General BMW X1 Forum (F48) What is wrong with the BMW X1 (F48)?

10-21-2023, 06:40 AM   #1
claus1
Registered
Rep
Drives: f80

What is wrong with the BMW X1 (F48)?

This is going to be a bit interesting.

A car that this sub seemed to not prefer or talk about too much is the F48 BMW X1 (Made from 2016-2022 here in the US). Some car enthusiast drove the car and said it was "miserable". Another said it was a POS, " It lacks the poise and presence of the X3 or X5, it’s not as pretty as the X2", etc. And to top it off, someone said it is worse than a Mazda CX-30 Turbo Speed Test https://vidmate.bid/ .

I will not buy/drive this car anytime soon, but I was just wondering. I don't see "bang for your buck" or too many positive comments on this sub about it.

So I have a few questions:

What is your take on the BMW X1?

If you think it is bad or worse to drive than any other car, why?

Will X1 buyers dismiss or overlook those downsides? (Overheard this car was on some FWD platform)

Are there any redeemable qualities?

Last edited by claus1; 10-25-2023 at 05:03 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2023, 11:09 PM   #2
X1604M
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2018, F48 28i

Garage List
2018 BMW X1 F48  [0.00]
Car is a car. People love and people hate. It may go on forever.
Appreciate 1
      10-22-2023, 02:19 AM   #3
mrpingu
Captain
Norway
Rep
Drives: 2018 F48 X1 xDrive 18D

Garage List
I like it.

Not too expensive, more room than X2 and it is still a BMW. I drive normal and with the winters here it’s better to have it FWD based (I Have xDrive).

IMO you have to have Msport those plastic parts on other trims make look the car cheap.

Seats fits me good, after upgrade of amp the sound is good.
ofcourse there are some weaknesses, like the engine mount. No radar based cruise control.
Appreciate 1
      10-22-2023, 06:34 PM   #4
Carlman3
Private
Rep
Drives: 2020 X1, 2009 328i

It's a good little car. Mine is a 2020 model. I don't like how it brakes. Too grabby. It's got a lot of fuel saving add ons that diminish the driving experience. I think all new cars suffer with this, but the X1 suffers a bit more to me.

The awd system is difficult to service. The control arm bushings are weak. Apparently there are engine mount issues, I haven't experienced.

All that said, it was still a better overall driving and ownership experience than anything else I could find for the budget I had. (25-35,k). I bought a CPO car.

I planned to tune it and lower it. We'll see.

I also have an E93 and the quality of the driving, braking, etc is just so much better in that 14-yr-old car. But the f48 'feels' lighter on its feet. It's playful and fun. I like them both for different reasons. Roominess being 1 factor.. I have a family. They all love the X1 and it's easy for everyone to use and go on road trips. Mileage is ok. 25mpg or so.

What's better for the price? A Volvo xc40? Maybe. But every one I test drove had a small bit annoying issue, the transmission didn't shift well, and had squishy suspension. But, they felt faster. I really liked the xc40, but the X1 just felt better,was more fun and engaging to drive. I like the gps, infotainment system too.

Sound quality is mediocre in the regular version. I might have to upgrade the amp and speakers w/ bimmertech stuff. The E93 sounds worlds better.
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2023, 09:44 PM   #5
wcs2229
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW X1 F48 xDrive28i

Generic statements about good and bad are irrelevant to me. I look for specific positives and negatives that may or may not matter to me, then have to check them out in a test drive.

Overall, my 2018 X1 is fine for me as a "grocery getter". To me, it is not an enthusiast car, which is not what I wanted anyway.
Appreciate 1
      10-25-2023, 10:53 AM   #6
knightarmor
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2017 M3

As an enthusiast who owns an F80, the F48 is a great platform for a practical vehicle that can haul the family, is quiet, can handle (mine's on KW's), and is comfortable.

We took it on a long roadtrip this past summer where I'd normally run my F80 or "fun" car when by myself and the F48 kept me entertained and the family safe. (and it has been reliable, it's a 2018)

As others have stated, personal opinions are personal opinions. Not everyone is going to feel the same way about a vehicle.
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2023, 12:23 PM   #7
ipilcher
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2024 M3 Compensation

I don't generally like SUVs, but I've always been OK with the X1. I guess it's because if I squint hard enough it almost looks like a 3 series wagon/touring.

Just picked up a CPO 2021 that will be my ride until my G80 gets here and will then be passed on to my 16 year old daughter. For her, I really wanted something a bit smaller that will be easy to maneuver in parking lots, so the the X1 fit the bill perfectly.
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2023, 08:48 AM   #8
Carlman3
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ipilcher View Post
Just picked up a CPO 2021 that will be my ride until my G80 gets here and will then be passed on to my 16 year old daughter. For her, I really wanted something a bit smaller that will be easy to maneuver in parking lots, so the the X1 fit the bill perfectly.
That was one of my other factors for this purchase; to get something I could give to my son when I got tired of it. He's only 12 now but when he's 16, it'll be his. I'll replace it with a small pickup at that point.. Probably the new Scout from Toyota.. or something like that. I'll keep the E93 until someone offers me a lot of money for it. So that'll probably be in the will one day.. haha.
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2023, 09:35 AM   #9
alex2112
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 X1 M-Sport

I must say this is a bit of a strange thread, being asked to defend and justify the F48 X1.

But anyway, I bought one because I was driving an E92 and between becoming a homeowner and getting married, I needed something with more utility than a two-door coupe. I really, really dislike big cars, so the X3 (and anything bigger) was out of the question. If BMW still brought a wagon to the US, I would have strongly considered it.

Is the X1 as nice to drive as a 3-series? No. Do I notice that it's a front-heavy FWD biased car? Yes. Can it still be fun to drive? I think so, especially with a tune like the Dinantronics Sport. And to be honest, the X1 is miles ahead in terms of driving dynamics than any comparable small SUV/crossover out there. I've driven other people's CR-Vs, Rav4s, Lexus NXs, Audi Q3s, over time. I prefer my X1 over all of them.
Appreciate 2
      10-31-2023, 10:42 AM   #10
Xorbitman
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW X1

I'm 67 years old and I own a few vehicles including sports cars. I'm currently on the market for a 2021/22 4 series coupe with the 4 cylinder engine which by the way is available in almost every BMW model from the 2,3,4, X1, X2, X3, X4 and the car can be customized with software and a laptop with a ODBII connector. I did this and chipped it and added a BMS intake. I got rid of the awful run flat tires and kept the 18" wheels for winter while purchasing much nicer 19" x9" aftermarket wheels and really good summer tires. I had to change the brakes last year with rotors and pads from a different mfg. My X1 is a 2019 with the adjustable sports suspension and executive package which comes with thicker glass. The software programmer added some features that are found on the more expensive models. This is the first vehicle that I have purchased new that has never been back to the dealer for a defect or warranty issue which is amazing to note. The combination of the wider, better summer tires and additional power has transformed the ride. We recently took the X1 to Hendersonville in North Carolina from Montreal, Canada for a wedding and it was very comfortable. I have to note that this being a Canadian model, the odometer is in KMs and not Miles. We drove 4,500 kms in one week. The X1 was purchased in January 2019 and only had 48k kms when the lease was about to end so we bought out the buy back which was ridiculously inexpensive and added a 3 year extended warranty and 2 year maintenance. We have the optional sports seats, upgraded stereo to which I added aftermarket tweeters and a sub in the trunk under the cover, which I posted here in another thread. The X1 now only has just over 40K miles after almost 5 years (in 3 months), it does have the adaptive cruise control however i don't like using it. It also has the pearl white metallic paint and protective paint, LED headlights. I added LED fogs. Overall the x-drive has been amazing in bad weather as our winters in Montreal are harsh. The heated seats and steering wheel are amazing and the only thing this car is missing is a remote starter for winters. Overall we are amazed at how good this vehicle is considering what we paid for it. The buyout was done at our dealership and the interest was low compared to what is offered now. For what the intended purpose of this X1 is (wife's vehicle) it is really good. Happy wife, happy life.
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2023, 02:42 PM   #11
str8line
Private
Rep
Drives: M4, X6, X5, X1, i3, X6M, 911

I've been quite happy with mine. Fun to drive with a light feel. Great engine with plenty of punch and great gas mileage, sporty handling without too much understeer, compliant and comfortable suspension that is still pretty sporty, top notch transmission, a lot of room with seats down(can fit my mountain bike with front wheel removed), great in the snow, excellent outward visibility, pretty good steering feel, and lots of nice luxury options/great user interface. The only real gripe I have is the brakes aren't progressive enough and feel a little spongy but nothing too bad really. One of its best attributes is that it is phenomenal when cruising at high speeds. I got mine new as a 2018 model and it now has 67,000 miles on it without a single issue beyond going through a few sets of brake pads. We have nine vehicles in a family of four and at almost any time I can chose between 2015 m4, 2013 X5 35i, 2013 X6 35i, 2015 X6 50i, I3, 2008 911 C2S, F350 dually and guess which one I drive the most? Yup, the X1.

Last edited by str8line; 11-13-2023 at 02:58 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2023, 08:12 AM   #12
Carlman3
Private
Rep

I have a few cars and usually prefer the X1 as well, it's just easy and fun. If I didn't have a family, I'd have the X2.
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2023, 08:02 AM   #13
BrianJ
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW F48 X1 xDrive20i Sport B48

We have a 2019. Replaced Audi Q3. Didn't want a car as physically large as an X3 because of very tight spaces where we live (this is the UK, not US). Did research and a very hidden fact in BMW specs are the internal dimensions. Official BMW figures eventually obtained from BMW reveal that X1 internal dimensions are within literally a mm or two of X3, except for load space under tailgate which is smaller. Four years and 16000 miles later it's an OK car. Very reliable (touch wood). Dislikes? Wife is short and really hates the sports seats because they catch the back of her legs. When driving, I dislike the "coast" function going down hills - sometimes you have to brake for miles because there is insufficient engine braking with the auto gearbox. My 2016 PDK Boxster is far, far better at that. Handles OK, quiet at 70-80mph, heating/ventilation fine, .... nothing much else to report really.
Appreciate 0