BMW
X1 / X2
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW X1 (F48) and X2 (F39) Forums General BMW X2 Forum (F39) Anyone actually liking their X2 M35 more with time

11-12-2019, 09:55 AM   #1
spdandpwr
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW X3 M Comp

Anyone actually liking their X2 M35 more with time

So I got this car because the reviews were pretty decent and it was a relatively high performance SUV that I could give to the other half when she needs a car and not be embarrassed when I need to drive it.

Coming from an F80, I guess I was expecting too much from this car. So, from the moment I got into it, I was scrutinizing it. With the throttle issue, the uncomfortable seat (I get hip pain), and poor handling dynamics.

However, as time goes on, I found an excellent seating position (albeit very high) that allows me to see out nicely; the car seems to have much more pep; and I've gotten used to the handling and actually prefer the steering over the F80.

So my question to the group is, do you find yourself liking the car more with time? I've found that things usually work in the reverse direction after the honeymoon phase. But I'm really digging this thing. I do think there's still some room to improve the handling but I wonder if that's because I'm on all seasons. The car doesn't feel especially sure-footed
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2019, 10:07 AM   #2
rounderman
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 X2 M35

Garage List
2019 BMW X2 M35  [9.50]
ABSOLUTELY!!!. I haven't been this satisfied with a car in quite a while. Love the car, the handling, the speed, seating, and reasonable practicality. Came from a F30 335 stick, only occasionally miss the clutch, previous vehicles of note Acura GS legend coupe (stick), TSX, Saab 9-3, 900S, and a few other various cars (stick in a77 firebird too)

Really glad I got the car, biggest regret is I leased it instead of buying it. Hopefully in 2022 there will be a good replacement
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2019, 01:34 PM   #3
billnchristy
Major
Rep
Drives: 2022 M440xi GC

Garage List
I知 fully in love with mine. I would seriously recommend a track day or autox with it so you Can find its limits, which are surprising.

If I ever feel meh I drop it in sport and sport trans and just let it rip, never ceases to bring a smile.
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2019, 02:54 PM   #4
//TMT
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X2 M35i, 2005 Volvo V50T5

Me too, I've had mine for less time than others here, but I like it more and more over time. It has some quirks but at this point they add to its appeal. Only minor annoyances.

Curious spdandpwr what you find disappointing in the handling? I find it almost perfectly balanced, the back seems to always follow the front, even when pushing HARD. I've intentionally delayed turn-ins just to test the under/oversteer limits and the car surprises me by obeying every time. Nothing but smiles here.
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2019, 04:45 PM   #5
X2 Monstah
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 X2 XDrive 28i M Sport

I'm still loving mine (my wife's actually). There is only one complaint - I can't drive with the windows open. When I do, the buffering is like getting punched in one ear by Connor MacGreggor and in the other by Manny Pacquaio! That is my one and only complaint.
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2019, 05:51 PM   #6
billnchristy
Major
Rep

Garage List
Crack the rears and you値l buffet less, but yeah, just fronts is like getting your ears boxed several times a second.
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2019, 06:42 PM   #7
DAC17
Long live BMW M's!
Rep
Drives: 2023 CT5-V

Quote:
Originally Posted by spdandpwr View Post
So I got this car because the reviews were pretty decent and it was a relatively high performance SUV that I could give to the other half when she needs a car and not be embarrassed when I need to drive it.

Coming from an F80, I guess I was expecting too much from this car. So, from the moment I got into it, I was scrutinizing it. With the throttle issue, the uncomfortable seat (I get hip pain), and poor handling dynamics.

However, as time goes on, I found an excellent seating position (albeit very high) that allows me to see out nicely; the car seems to have much more pep; and I've gotten used to the handling and actually prefer the steering over the F80.

So my question to the group is, do you find yourself liking the car more with time? I've found that things usually work in the reverse direction after the honeymoon phase. But I'm really digging this thing. I do think there's still some room to improve the handling but I wonder if that's because I'm on all seasons. The car doesn't feel especially sure-footed
I couldn't have said this better. When I first got it, I was somewhat disappointed with the ride, throttle sensitivity, seating position/comfort, etc. But I have fixed the seating position issue, and really gotten used to the performance and handling. Maybe it gets better with a little break-in??
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2019, 07:50 AM   #8
xcelir8bmw
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW M240ix

Absolutely. I have no body issues like the rest of you. Still would like to know general dyno numbers though.
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2019, 08:55 AM   #9
King_Leonard
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW X2 M35i

It's aight.
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2019, 12:32 PM   #10
Glazonyoursix
Private
Rep
Drives: X2 M35i

I'm actually liking it even more now despite the issues I'm having. Really great handling vehicle hugs the corners like it should for being a heavy vehicle. Other day I was driving to a cars and coffee and a guy in an M4 heard the pops and bangs and was impressed. He thought it was an In-line 6 and I told him it was a turbo 4 banger. He was impressed even more. Really glad with how it is. Oh did I mention the pops that sounds great for stock??
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2019, 01:28 PM   #11
//TMT
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

They are fun aren't they. Honestly I lift off sometimes, just to make 'em happen.
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2019, 01:52 PM   #12
billnchristy
Major
Rep

Garage List
I don稚 hear the pops very often unless I have the windows down, kinda makes me sad
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2019, 12:44 PM   #13
rice_rocket88
Major
No_Country
Rep
Drives: E60 F48 F39

I don't listen to the radio very loud so I can still hear the pops.. sometimes I want to hear more but the traffic won't really let me crackle and pop it as much. Again it does it better just in sport with the lever to the left vs manual shift. The only thing that I'm a little unsure of getting used to is the tight seats. It's great when I'm ripping around, but getting stuck in traffic with all these winter jackets makes it even tighter for my fat body. I've started to drive it down the parking garage and then stop to let me warm up a bit and then take off the jacket as soon as the heated seats kick in.
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2019, 07:03 PM   #14
//TMT
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

You do know you can adjust the width of the lumbar section, at least in the M seats, right? Loving that option, myself.
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2019, 09:10 PM   #15
rice_rocket88
Major
No_Country
Rep
Drives: E60 F48 F39

Quote:
Originally Posted by //TMT View Post
You do know you can adjust the width of the lumbar section, at least in the M seats, right? Loving that option, myself.
Haha yes I'm just that wide with all the winter layers (at least a jacket and vest on top of a tshirt..forget a sweater!) Actually the shoulders seem to push more than the lumbar section. In the summer when I had a chance to hit some Twisties I squeeze those lumbars to the max and don't slide at all in the seat.

I'm used to my 5series with the big fat cozy cushions.. and/or the family van with the lazyboy fit. Jacket or no jacket they don't get in the way at all.
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2019, 02:34 PM   #16
TheBigP
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW X2 M35i

I love this thread! Yes, absolutely, more and more every day. In many ways the car was almost too new when I first got it. That is, almost too "tight" and too different from my more relaxed previous gen X1 35i M-sport (albeit quite similar in form and function). I too had issues with seat position (although that was also true with my X1), and I had hoped for more moving from the older 6-speed tranny to the 8-speed (turns out there are new issues, which are being discussed in another thread). Overall, I'm a very happy camper and nothing I know now or have been going through would have kept me from choosing this car. For me and my specific usage, there's no competition...
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2019, 02:58 PM   #17
c-m
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: N/A

I love mine just as much as my M235i. Matter of fact, I just ran it at AutoX the other day and beat out some decent cars. I was faster than an M2, M240i, some Miatas and a Kia Stinger GT! It handles surprisingly well for an SAV. Love this damn thing so much! Plus, I get all kinds of compliments on it daily.
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2019, 08:08 AM   #18
F87LUV
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '16 M2, '23 GT4

Garage List
2023 Porsche GT4  [5.00]
2016 BMW M2  [8.66]
Quote:
Originally Posted by c-m View Post
I love mine just as much as my M235i. Matter of fact, I just ran it at AutoX the other day and beat out some decent cars. I was faster than an M2, M240i, some Miatas and a Kia Stinger GT! It handles surprisingly well for an SAV. Love this damn thing so much! Plus, I get all kinds of compliments on it daily.
Ok let's not get out of hand. X2 is not faster than an M2. I'd chalk that upto driver mod. I know- I have both!

My X2 has definitely grown on me. I've learned to adjust for the turbo lag at lower speeds which was my main gripe initially. I'll eventually look into a tune to help with that but so far so good.
      11-19-2019, 08:39 AM   #19
c-m
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: N/A

Quote:
Originally Posted by F87LUV View Post
Ok let's not get out of hand. X2 is not faster than an M2. I'd chalk that upto driver mod. I know- I have both!

My X2 has definitely grown on me. I've learned to adjust for the turbo lag at lower speeds which was my main gripe initially. I'll eventually look into a tune to help with that but so far so good.
Faster on the AutoX track, not faster overall. There is a BIG difference. Miatas, 350z and fiesta st are king on the AutoX track.
Appreciate 1
F87LUV3688.00
      11-20-2019, 08:28 AM   #20
spdandpwr
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW X3 M Comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by c-m View Post
Faster on the AutoX track, not faster overall. There is a BIG difference. Miatas, 350z and fiesta st are king on the AutoX track.
What tires are you running? I find this car doesn't love high speed transitions with the factory AS. Also, anyone else notice the car getting a little floaty above 80?

All in all, the more I drive the car, the more comfortable I get with it's limits. But the car is a little quirky under 3k rpms. Also, sometimes in first gear, the car feels like it's limiting power. I turned off traction control and it rectified the issue. LOL, I've also been able to squeal stock all seasons when taking a turn hard and flooring it.
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2019, 01:15 PM   #21
skr9
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X2 M35i, 2001 Audi TT

My 2 cents after 4 months of ownership and just about 5K miles:
While I like this car overall, it is flawed. The driving experience is superb; handling and performance are as expected for an M vehicle. That said, there are some very disappointing cost-cutting measures by BMW. The lack of blind spot monitoring on a $56,000 vehicle is simply an embarrassment, when it is available on most entry level economy cars these days. I opted to custom order my X2 as I wanted the ACC (adaptive crusie control), and have to report the system is unreliable and buggy. The system has simply disabled itself during daytime driving with perfectly clear conditions and no camera obstructions whatsoever on many occasions. I cannot recommend this as a functional feature worthy of its cost. While the drivers side rear view mirror is auto-dimming, BMW apparently needed to save $10 and not provide the same auto-dimming mirror on the passenger side, so you still get blinded by headlights from that side. Wireless Apple CarPlay is not reliable or well programmed. I regularly get pops/breaks in sound that I can only attribute to the wireless connection to the car; managing more than one iPhone is infuriating, and often breaks the connection to the primary phone and you end up having to delete and re-pair it.
As for the good - again, it drives amazing, sounds amazing, and looks great. This vehicle is also the perfect size for me (2 adults, no kids, no pets). The various storage areas are great - generous bins, and nice concealed storage in the boot. This is a niche car for a niche buyer; not really a family car, and the price tag for the M version makes this very much a purchase of the heart - not a practical one.
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2019, 01:39 PM   #22
Destroya
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2020 X2 M35i

After 3 months of waiting my X2M35i arrived last week. I知 only a couple hundred miles in and driving moderately but here are my initial impressions:

PRO

Ride - very nice, firm, well modulated, similar to the M2
Power - haven稚 stood on it yet but looks to be a rocket, not quite M2.
I知 still working out the lag issues at low speed.
Handling - this is my first experience with run flats. They suck but that
can be fixed. When cornering and accelerating there definitely
is some torque steer.
Looks - Misano Blue looks great. I wanted something bright after a
couple grey cars and this blue pops.
Seats - I debated paying the $1,900 it took for the sport seats but boy
am I glad I did.
Interior lighting - very cool at night, I知 going with the blue.

CON

Visibility - as others have said, its limited. First time backing out of the
garage I was a little nervous about hitting something. I leave
the middle section of the back seat down to see better.
Run Flats - as stated
Apple Car Play - payment after 1 year, really?

I needed to get down to one vehicle. I wanted features of both the M2 and the X1. There are definitely some compromises but overall it痴 a satisfying driving experience, plenty of power and quite nice inside. I知 pleased sofar.
Appreciate 0