BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW X1 (F48) and X2 (F39) Forums General BMW X1 Forum (F48) MPH to KPH issue

12-28-2019, 05:48 AM   #1
X1 new owner
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW X1 sdrive

MPH to KPH issue

The odometer on my X1 only displays MPH. I Know that the units can be set to Kilometres in iDrive but this only seems to change the speed limit display. When I travel in Europe how can I be certain that I’m within the speed limit?
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2019, 08:02 AM   #2
Timmins
Rep
Drives: BMW X1 xdrive

changing mph to kph

Hello, I used Bimmercode to enable the Digital speed in board computer
Enable/disable the display of the digital speed in the board computer. I have the HUD, and now I can show KPH on the HUD. I think if you don't have HUD at that the Digital speed display in the Odometer cluster will show KPH when you select the metric option in iDrive.
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2019, 02:36 AM   #3
X1 new owner
United Kingdom
Rep

Hi

Not sure what the HUD is. Can you explain further. My brother, living in Canada, said when he crossed into the US a blue dot appeared on his Odometer to indicate the speed limit in MPH. He has an X3.
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2019, 06:49 AM   #4
Doppelbock
Rep
Drives: 2020 X1 xDrive28i

One option would be to utilize an app like Waze for your smartphone. It can alert you to fixed speed cameras as well as transient issues like mobile speed cameras, accidents and construction.

We also have a dashtop Garmin that we use in my wife's vehicle that shows the reported speeds and give us an audible warning when we exceed the speed limit that it has in the database (not always accurate but it helps). When we used it in the UK, it displayed the equivalent speed limits in kph.

The Head's Up Display (HUD) is an option that displays information onto your windscreen. An example video:

I don't know enough about the other years and I don't have a UK-spec vehicle, so I don't know that I could provide you any help with the system settings side. Good luck.
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2019, 08:10 AM   #5
X1 new owner
United Kingdom
Rep

Sounds like a backward step. Why BMW didn’t leave both mph and kph on the speedometer as previous I don’t understand as many UK drivers will travel to Europe at some point.
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2019, 11:07 AM   #6
kavatski
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2023 X3 30iX

Just tried this on my 2019 X1, which has a km/h speedometer. I have the head-up display, plus the digital speed can also be displayed in the gauge cluster using the BC button on the turn signal stalk.

When I change the iDrive setting under Units to "mi" it instantly switches the digital speedometer in both the HUD and the gauge cluster to mph. The speed limit info graphic also changes (e.g., from 50 km/h to 30 mph).

Last edited by kavatski; 12-29-2019 at 11:26 AM..
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2019, 12:46 PM   #7
Doppelbock
Rep
Drives: 2020 X1 xDrive28i

My '20 US-spec changes the speed displayed in the HUD and dash to KPH when I change it in iDrive. I don't have Euro maps, so my speed limit graphic doesn't work.
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2019, 01:23 PM   #8
Timmins
Rep
Drives: BMW X1 xdrive

change of unit

It seems that different model years and different countries affect the best way to fix this problem. On my car US Spec 2016 X1 with HUD (heads up display) changing the units to metric in iDrive changed the temperature and odometer readouts only. For some reason, the digital speedometer wasn't enabled in my vehicle so I had to code to enable it. Once I did that, my speed display in HUD could be changed to kph.
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2019, 08:26 PM   #9
wcs2229
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW X1 F48 xDrive28i

Quote:
Originally Posted by kavatski View Post
Just tried this on my 2019 X1, which has a km/h speedometer. I have the head-up display, plus the digital speed can also be displayed in the gauge cluster using the BC button on the turn signal stalk.

When I change the iDrive setting under Units to "mi" it instantly switches the digital speedometer in both the HUD and the gauge cluster to mph. The speed limit info graphic also changes (e.g., from 50 km/h to 30 mph).
My 2018 X1 in Canada has the same behaviour as kavatski.
Appreciate 0