BMW
X1 / X2
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums Professional Motorsport Racing Discussion (IMSA, DTM, Formula 1, Grand-AM, Le Mans, IRL, WRC, etc..) Just How Well Can F1 Cars Brake?

05-15-2010, 08:24 PM   #1
TK-421
Registered Sex Offender
United_States
Rep
Drives: E46 M3 | 1JZ S13

Just How Well Can F1 Cars Brake?

old vid and car(s), but still...

[u2b]<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/JMp7UR_YGsw&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/JMp7UR_YGsw&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>[/u2b]
      05-15-2010, 08:26 PM   #2
1MOREMOD
-
United_States
Rep
Drives: Race car->

wow pretty good but also stopping a lot less weight.

02 Tiag e46 M3|6MT|GC plates|MCS c.o.|GC bars|GC race control arms|GC bushings|BW eng. & tran. mounts|subframe kit|BW race shifter|BW Jaffster|Euro header|BW exhaust|K&N c.a.i.|Epic race tune|Rouge pulleys|Seibon CF hood|CSL bumper|apr gt 250 & splitter|ST-40|XR-2|SS lines|half cage|Recaro profi|Profi 2 harness|BMWpedals|BW studs|
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2010, 08:35 PM   #3
TK-421
Registered Sex Offender
United_States
Rep
Drives: E46 M3 | 1JZ S13

Quote:
Originally Posted by chriszeh View Post
Very true. Thread title edited
      05-16-2010, 01:16 AM   #4
FStop7
I like cars
Vatican City State
Rep
Drives: M6

Not that it would matter in that case but I'd be curious what kind of tires the M3 had on. 80% of your braking comes from them.
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2010, 01:28 AM   #5
E90SLAM
Supreme Allied Commander
Hong Kong
Rep
Drives: A BBS WHORE

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by chriszeh View Post
part of it true...however i do not think E46 M3 brake will generate as much braking Gforces as a Formula 1 car...

I'm not sure about the 2005 and previous F1 cars...coz now F1 cars does not have ABS brakes...i don't know if the M3 has it disabled, this can affect the brake distance by a lot.....
      05-16-2010, 09:00 PM   #6
gts135
German car nut
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2009 135iM - Cashmere silver

I'd have to dig it up to be called 'fact', but remember reading from a credible source that at higher speeds, say 300k/h, they will generate about negative 4 to 5g's. Just taking the foot off the accelerator at those speeds generated more than negative one g. More than a good sports car could generate when at maximum braking.

I was at the Indy F1 race and we timed them on the brakes from about 190mph to about 80mph (end of the straight into turn 1) for about 2.0s dead on. That works out to about negative 2.5g over that speed range. Aero has a lot to do with the braking at speed.
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2010, 03:08 PM   #7
HPFREAK
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: C6 ZO6

Watch this video if you have not seen it already and it will answer your questions on G forces these cars attain. Cool video as well. You get a sense of just how intense it is to drive these cars. I am in awe of these drivers and what they can do.

[u2b]<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/G-eiKYyVr2A&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/G-eiKYyVr2A&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>[/u2b]

Quote:
Originally Posted by gts135 View Post
I'd have to dig it up to be called 'fact', but remember reading from a credible source that at higher speeds, say 300k/h, they will generate about negative 4 to 5g's. Just taking the foot off the accelerator at those speeds generated more than negative one g. More than a good sports car could generate when at maximum braking.

I was at the Indy F1 race and we timed them on the brakes from about 190mph to about 80mph (end of the straight into turn 1) for about 2.0s dead on. That works out to about negative 2.5g over that speed range. Aero has a lot to do with the braking at speed.
Appreciate 0