BMW
X1 / X2
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums Off-Topic Discussions Board Video + PC Gaming / Computing PC Gamers: Join the boycott against Infinity Ward

10-23-2009, 04:20 PM   #1
Negotiator
Lieutenant
Ukraine
Rep
Drives: 07 GTI

PC Gamers: Join the boycott against Infinity Ward

If you're a console player and plan to buy Modern Warfare 2, do not let this concern you. There are valid reasons for the way matchmaking is done on the consoles, and this is not a "whose system is better" excercise.

Infinity Ward has decided to release a port of the game for the PC users, with no support for dedicated servers, the basis for the game's online community. Vote with your wallet. Show the developer that they can't make money on systems they don't put any effort into development for. I'm not angry at Infiniti Ward as a company, they are following a new and groundbreaking business model of trying to get DLC content paid for by the PC user base.

But by doing so they have completely erased the lines between what seperates console gaming from PC gaming. PC gaming is about building communities, a virtual retreat where you can settle as your "home server", and enjoy playing with a small or a large community, up to your preference. Console gaming is more about hopping on for an hour and inving a buddy, which also due to controller specifics is not meant for dedicated server selection. But this is what differenciates the platforms, and we need more diversity in gaming, not less.

Again, if you don't care about these issues, just buy a console version. If you buy the PC version you are letting developers and publishers know that being treated as an afterthought demographic is ok in this market, and this is exactly what will happen in the future.

Don't take this as a nerd rage, I plan on purchasing the console version, or possibly pirating the game for single player. I'm simply being pragmatic about where this industry is going, and it's not a good place for anyone who still enjoys the sense of community and keyboard/mouse controls in games.
      10-23-2009, 06:14 PM   #2
Pink Taco
Doesn't get Pinker than this...
Rep
Drives: e90

I would buy this for the PC but... then again I rather do it on console. I know it sucks for PC users that they have NO DEDICATED server. Which is total BS. I total hate playing FPS games on console. I suck at the controls and I get motion sickness right away. PC in other hand is another story...

But think about it... People like me who sucks controlling using console controls vs PC mouse and keyboard controls... PC would own the console users lolol
      10-24-2009, 12:11 PM   #3
marty_mcfly
Banned
Rep
Drives: ???

PC is much more easier for me. I had MW on all 3 consoles (ps3, xbox, and PC - dont ask why) and of course PC was the easiest for me out of all. i know if there was some way i can play myself with one of me on the xbox and the other on PC, the xbox me would get worked
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2009, 09:23 AM   #4
UltimateBMW
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: MP4

This dilemma has me at odds to be honest. While I want to play MW2 I can't ignore what they are doing. IW needs to back off and allow dedicated servers.

I don't plan on pre-ordering it anyways. So what I'll probably do is wait a few months to see how this all plays out before I purchase it just to play the SP. MP is all well and fine, but I lost interest in playing MP FPS games hardcore a long time ago. I still hop on a cod4 MP game every once in a while though.

The other side of this is that PC titles are becoming fewer and fewer as most developers move to consoles to avoid piracy. Granted this is probably IW's attempt to make a anti-piracy solution. But seeing the market shun it and boycott it is bad overall for PC gamers. And I personally refuse to resort to consoles. The controls are simply more crude and not nearly as accurate or fully encompassing. Sadly, most of the PC titles are going to be MMOs which are generally dumbed down and grind-fests now.

Hopefully, once console games get big enough the piracy will take over there too and drive developers back to PC.
      10-26-2009, 09:40 AM   #5
darkphantom
Banned
Rep
Drives: E93 335i

wtf, no dedicated servers? I'll pirate this if they don't change that.
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2009, 11:58 AM   #6
UltimateBMW
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkphantom View Post
wtf, no dedicated servers? I'll pirate this if they don't change that.
Won't be able to play online if you pirate. Since the whole reason they are doing that is to get rid of the piracy for online and lan play.

I'd laugh if someone hacked into it enough to make pirated servers for pirated copies. Though that might mark the last of the CoD for PC franchise.
      10-26-2009, 04:24 PM   #7
darkphantom
Banned
Rep
Drives: E93 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by UltimateBMW View Post
Won't be able to play online if you pirate. Since the whole reason they are doing that is to get rid of the piracy for online and lan play.

I'd laugh if someone hacked into it enough to make pirated servers for pirated copies. Though that might mark the last of the CoD for PC franchise.
that's what I'm saying, I won't care for online play if they don't have dedicated servers....
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2009, 04:34 PM   #8
Negotiator
Lieutenant
Ukraine
Rep

Quote:
This dilemma has me at odds to be honest. While I want to play MW2 I can't ignore what they are doing. IW needs to back off and allow dedicated servers.

I don't plan on pre-ordering it anyways. So what I'll probably do is wait a few months to see how this all plays out before I purchase it just to play the SP. MP is all well and fine, but I lost interest in playing MP FPS games hardcore a long time ago. I still hop on a cod4 MP game every once in a while though.

The other side of this is that PC titles are becoming fewer and fewer as most developers move to consoles to avoid piracy. Granted this is probably IW's attempt to make a anti-piracy solution. But seeing the market shun it and boycott it is bad overall for PC gamers. And I personally refuse to resort to consoles. The controls are simply more crude and not nearly as accurate or fully encompassing. Sadly, most of the PC titles are going to be MMOs which are generally dumbed down and grind-fests now.

Hopefully, once console games get big enough the piracy will take over there too and drive developers back to PC.

The thing is, not including dedicated servers isn't doing anything against piracy. They are already doing steam activation, which is fine, I pay for games I like. But the only reason to move away from dedicated servers is to limit the modding and push through DLCs. It annoys me, I pay for DLCs. I'm their target audience. But I'm not saying goodbye to the community-based gameplay just so I can get charged $10 every few months for a new map that someone shit out. (Creek is the worst offender here)
      10-26-2009, 07:03 PM   #9
FStop7
I like cars
Vatican City State
Rep
Drives: M6

When I found out 50 Cent was involved in making MW2 I canceled my pre order.

I mean 50 cent? Really? Really?
      10-27-2009, 08:31 AM   #10
UltimateBMW
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Negotiator View Post
The thing is, not including dedicated servers isn't doing anything against piracy. They are already doing steam activation, which is fine, I pay for games I like. But the only reason to move away from dedicated servers is to limit the modding and push through DLCs. It annoys me, I pay for DLCs. I'm their target audience. But I'm not saying goodbye to the community-based gameplay just so I can get charged $10 every few months for a new map that someone shit out. (Creek is the worst offender here)
Them hosting their own servers and using steam go hand in hand. If you get rid of one the other would resolve itself... for the most part.

I hate the micro charging business model. It just feels so greedy.
      10-27-2009, 08:33 AM   #11
UltimateBMW
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by FStop7 View Post
When I found out 50 Cent was involved in making MW2 I canceled my pre order.

I mean 50 cent? Really? Really?
Calm down. He is only a voice actor. As long as it doesn't effect the game play, which it probably won't, I don't think it really matters.

If you didn't know before hand and you played the game would you be able to tell that it was him voicing one of the roles? Most likely not.
      10-27-2009, 08:47 AM   #12
mrgoochio
135i Coupe Owner!
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 135i Coupe

lol@buygameforpc. who does that these days
  • P1 Lemon Boston Leather
  • High Gloss Black Trim
  • Comfort Access System
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2009, 10:11 AM   #13
UltimateBMW
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrgoochio View Post
lol@buygameforpc. who does that these days
wat?
      10-27-2009, 11:45 AM   #14
Negotiator
Lieutenant
Ukraine
Rep

Quote:
Them hosting their own servers and using steam go hand in hand. If you get rid of one the other would resolve itself... for the most part.

I hate the micro charging business model. It just feels so greedy.
That's the thing though, they aren't hosting their own servers. Had they gone the BF2 route and provided ranked servers hosted by their partners, I'd still be ok. But the problem lies in the fact that the whole matchmaking system utilizes what consoles do, which is P2P connections with the host having an advantage of 0 ping, and God forbid his upload is capped at below 1mb/s.
      10-27-2009, 01:28 PM   #15
marty_mcfly
Banned
Rep
Drives: ???

wait so does this mean theres going to be no online play for PC players? does the current modern warfare use dedicated servers?
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2009, 01:43 PM   #16
Negotiator
Lieutenant
Ukraine
Rep

The way it works is that the server software is open for anyone's use, which means that server host companies sell servers based on player slots to essentially use their hardware and bandwidth. The majority of servers for COD4 on PC right now are being hosted this way (in fact, you can filter non-dedicated servers that are running on someone's PC when searching for one).

The way that it's going to be is standard console matchmaking. You don't have a server browser. You set up parameters of what maps and what ruleset you want to play (Search and Destroy, Team Deathmatch, etc) and it will pair you with a bunch of players that are also looking to play this gametype. Then it will asign the player with the best connection as the host, and everyone will connect to that player.

Advantages: You don't have to deal with the superdifficult (in Activision's words) interface of server lists.

Disadvantages:

1. The host will always have an advantage of not having any lag since he's not subjected to ping.
2. You will not be able to produce or play any mods for the game.
3. You won't be able to pick a server to play on because you like their custom rules.
4. There won't be admins who are banning the cheaters and artards on the spot, everything is left in the hands of VAC (Valve Anti-cheat).
5. Player cap will be significantly lower in games, possibly 16 players max.
6. If you don't buy a DLC, you will be kicked from the lobby if the game rotates to a DLC map.
7. If the host leaves, you will have to wait until another user "takes over" the functions of a host, which is interruptive to gameplay.
8. IW.net(their matchmaking system) will automatically pair you up with people of their propriotary SKILL rating similar to yours.
9. To play with friends you will have to create a "party" before going to play together. No more "join this IP", or Xfire support.
      10-27-2009, 01:54 PM   #17
UltimateBMW
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Negotiator View Post
That's the thing though, they aren't hosting their own servers. Had they gone the BF2 route and provided ranked servers hosted by their partners, I'd still be ok. But the problem lies in the fact that the whole matchmaking system utilizes what consoles do, which is P2P connections with the host having an advantage of 0 ping, and God forbid his upload is capped at below 1mb/s.
I must of missed all that. If that is how it is, then MP will be dead to me. Any current game that has dedicated servers vs. p2p sees 90% of its action on the dedicated. Maybe they tried to incorporate some kind of torrent system in there?

Otherwise, can't think of why this step was taken.
      10-27-2009, 04:12 PM   #18
mrgoochio
135i Coupe Owner!
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 135i Coupe

Quote:
wat?
get all pc games for free via torrent. (except those with monthly subs)
  • P1 Lemon Boston Leather
  • High Gloss Black Trim
  • Comfort Access System
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2009, 04:20 PM   #19
UltimateBMW
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrgoochio View Post
get all pc games for free via torrent. (except those with monthly subs)
You should buy games that you like. So they make more.

Why do you think we are having all these issues with publishers and programmers bailing on PC and implementing all these ridiculous solutions.

Torrent'ing has it's place. I'm not saying don't do it. But for things you like, or have heavily anticipated. I think thats worth the $50 -$60 for it. Its the random B-grade shit that I think torrents are really for. Aside from the MP issues, MW2 will be an A grade title.
      10-30-2009, 01:13 PM   #20
brocken
Captain
Rep
Drives: X3MC

I don't think torrenting is the only problem for PC games. I've noticed a sharp decline in PC exclusives in the last couple years. I think the biggest problem is that consoles make the same games and a lot of people prefer sitting on their couch on their big TV vs sitting in their office to play games.
I still love PC FPS games but haven't had a really good experience since BFV and original COD days. I don't feel like there are any shooters that captured the same fun of the old Battlefield games.

It's kind of sad because I have a really nice gaming PC and all I use it for now it's some web surfing and a media server.
Appreciate 0