BMW
X1 / X2
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW X1 (F48) and X2 (F39) Forums General BMW X2 Forum (F39) X2 paint orange peel effect

04-24-2019, 09:50 PM   #1
Eqwoot
Rep
Drives: X2

X2 paint orange peel effect

I found that the paint for the x2 production line is really bad. The worst bmw i have seen. I checked 10 units of new x2 in the bmw and all has this effect. Especially on the C pillar and black color is the worst.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      04-25-2019, 05:09 AM   #2
billnchristy
Major
Rep
Drives: 2022 M440xi GC

Garage List
I can’t disagree. I told my wife that my x2 would need more paint correction than her 3 year old Chevy.
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2019, 04:52 AM   #3
mackeroni
Former Opel GT Pilot
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i, AW, CR, 6MT

I noted the same issue with the paint on my 2011 BMW 135i when it was new. My trusted sales advisor agreed, but did not really have any suggestions. I understand from other owners that the orange peel effect is due to the clear coat layer having been dried too quickly, something BMW does to move its cars through the finish process as fast as possible. It is possible to have the entire car wet-sanded and polished. Supposedly a good paint shop can do this without going below the clear coat layer, but it is VERY expensive and carries a high element of risk to your finish. I have opted to live with the orange peel effect, and it no longer bothers me after eight years of ownership. Good luck.

Peace... Mack
So, that's it. I am doomed. There is no patch, no methadone, no substitute. Curse you BMW. Curse you and your seamless power delivery. Curse the incredible sense of road feel. Curse the comfort, the luxury, the envious looks from the masses. I am... hopelessly addicted.
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2019, 04:28 AM   #4
satz
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW X3 M40i

My just-delivered Mineral Grey Jan 2019 built X2 has similar orange peel effect..

Not quite the mirror finish I had on my Lexus 10 years ago!
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2019, 11:45 AM   #5
mackeroni
Former Opel GT Pilot
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i, AW, CR, 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by satz View Post
My just-delivered Mineral Grey Jan 2019 built X2 has similar orange peel effect..

Not quite the mirror finish I had on my Lexus 10 years ago!
I drive a BMW. My ex-wife sells Lexus cars. Whenever our paths cross (we have three children together) she loves to talk about Lexus paint and reliability. Ugh.

Peace... Mack
So, that's it. I am doomed. There is no patch, no methadone, no substitute. Curse you BMW. Curse you and your seamless power delivery. Curse the incredible sense of road feel. Curse the comfort, the luxury, the envious looks from the masses. I am... hopelessly addicted.
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2019, 08:16 PM   #6
mrcarey
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW 328i

I noticed the same. Bought a demo at the dealer and it was dirty on test and didn't notice it. Luckily I bought mineral white so it doesn't show as bad. I would be pissed if it were a darker color and more visible. I even noticed it watching a Youtube review. Crazy.
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2019, 10:11 PM   #7
satz
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW X3 M40i

Worse than that was the alignment of the two front doors. Both had their top trailing edges about 3mm out of being flush when closed. Interestingly the rest of the doors were sitting flush.

The dealer's solution was to adjust so they closed more, but now the previously good parts are actually in a little, compared to the edge of the rear doors.

So the front doors were actually made slightly crookedly/twisted, as I don't think it was just a case of the doors not closing enough.

How does this happen in a high-tech robotized factory nowadays???
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2019, 06:26 PM   #8
mrcarey
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW 328i

Quote:
Originally Posted by satz View Post
Worse than that was the alignment of the two front doors. Both had their top trailing edges about 3mm out of being flush when closed. Interestingly the rest of the doors were sitting flush.

The dealer's solution was to adjust so they closed more, but now the previously good parts are actually in a little, compared to the edge of the rear doors.

So the front doors were actually made slightly crookedly/twisted, as I don't think it was just a case of the doors not closing enough.

How does this happen in a high-tech robotized factory nowadays???
Saw the same with mine. The drivers front to drivers rear alignment is horrendous. Passenger side its damn near perfect. Honestly, I'm very disappointed with craftsmanship of this car's exterior. There's also a huge misalignment between the front bumper and the hood... where the hood is several mm lower and not flush. Need I remind BMW that the X2 is a BMW?

I hope they are monitoring this forum. I work in Munich a lot and have thought about talking to someone about this car's exterior during one of my trips to BMW Welt or something. Then again, the rest of the car's handling and interior is spot on. So...
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2019, 07:37 AM   #9
billnchristy
Major
Rep
Drives: 2022 M440xi GC

Garage List
You can fix the hood, that’s all part of the latching system. Mine was pretty bad and I decided to figure it out vice wait on the dealership to do it.
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2019, 06:44 PM   #10
DAC17
Long live BMW M's!
Rep
Drives: 2023 CT5-V

Odd...I have the orange paint, and have found my paint job to be pretty darn good. Not much orange peel on this orange!
Appreciate 0