BMW
X1 / X2
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW X1 (F48) and X2 (F39) Forums General BMW X1 Forum (F48) BIMMERCODE - my top two tips

02-25-2019, 10:05 PM   #1
MJE60
Captain
England
Rep
Drives: BMW G01 xDrive M Sport

BIMMERCODE - my top two tips

Bimmercode is an app running on android or ios which enables users to code their BMW cars . This “coding” is in effect accessing hidden menu options which BMW use for a variety of purposes such as enabling or disabling certain build options or managing different legal requirements between countries. A simple example is that with Bimmercode you can change the stop/start setting from on to off or even “remember last setting”. Another example is that some warning messages can be turned off. Bimmercode can also be used when retrofitting some parts, as an example changing your central information display (CID) from 6.5” to 8.8”. There are a number of threads discussing what owners have “coded” and how.

Looking at some of the problems people are getting with Bimmercode, that is the rare but serious "my car has been wrecked and the dealer had to reprogramme" problems, there is a consistent theme.
It has little to do with whether basic or expert mode has been used , although expert mode is best left for people who understand the concept behind fdl coding.

The reason things appear to go badly wrong with Bimmercode and why they cannot then be fixed is due to two underlying factors,

firstly that Wi-fi or bluetooth is used rather than an Enet cable , this is a less stable communication route. Top Tip one is to make sure you use airplane mode (no calls, texts etc) and only enable the function (Bluetooth or wireless) your obd dongle uses. I prefer not to use bimmercode with a wieless dongle (it is too vunerable to interference, I use the Bluetooth version as it has limited range and less risk of external interference) similarily I would rather not use a mobile phone to code as there are background functions working even in flight mode, Any interruption in coding , whether due to incoming call, app software updates, text message etc can corrupt read or write data. I use an iPad without 3G/sim, I disable wireless and use Bluetooth., I close all other apps on the device before opening Bimmercode. Also during coding, with the iPad, I put my mobile phone in flight mode and leave away from the car. This is due to the risk of it accidentally connecting to the car during coding. Jmciver advises you clip in the driver seat belt to prevent risk of “auto shutoff” of the ignition after approx 7 minutes. Ensuring read or write data is not corrupted is critical when you consider underlying factor two.

The second and probably main underlying problem with Bimmercode is failure by users to understand how the coding process works,. Bimmercode reads the ecu, it uses this "read" to create the back-up and after you make coding changes it uses the modified "read" data to write back to the ecu. If the read data is corrupted and Bimmercode continues, your back-up and write (coding) will both be corrupted. Whilst the creator of Bimmercode rejects this possibility as nonsense, were it to happen It may effectively "brick" the ecu requiring dealer rebuild. Top tip Two - I always read the ecu I want to code, find changes then I exit the ecu and disconnect Bimmercode. Only then will I connect back again and code. This "read ecu twice" process effectively doubles your chance of having a safe (non corrupted) back-up which can be used to restore if things go wrong. [Please note - this currently only works for iOS versions of the app because the android version only stores one back-up. You can however rename the back-up and the app will create another. ] If you are very nervous there is nothing to stop you doing this even if you already have a back-up from previous successful coding. Each time the ecu is read it will create a back-up. I exit Bimmercode after the very first ecu read in case there is app instability, it removes the slight risk there is a wider app problem which could be carried into the second read. Never pick up Bimmercode for the first time, read an ecu and code. You will only have one "read/back-up" and if it is corrupted you could end up begging E-sys coders for help.

Last edited by MJE60; 05-31-2022 at 02:09 PM.. Reason: Additional point - thanks jmciver
Appreciate 11
oakey46158.50
808X179.50
BMWZ41908.00
pj7413.50
HansB0.00
GNOV3.00
      02-26-2019, 02:18 AM   #2
oakey46
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW 2 A/T 220i Lux Auto 1.5

For someone, such as myself, thinking of buying an OBDII dongle and embarking on Bimmercode, that's very useful info/advice. Thanks.
Appreciate 1
MJE60678.00
      02-26-2019, 06:28 AM   #3
iceman7
Second Lieutenant
Greece
Rep
Drives: X1 LCI sDrive 18i

Even though I have done tens of codings both in my X1 as well as in the X1s of friends without any of the above, your ultra protective post is highly appreciated.
Appreciate 1
MJE60678.00
      02-26-2019, 10:18 AM   #4
808X1
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F48 X1 M-Sport

Good recommendation/tips
Appreciate 1
MJE60678.00
      03-28-2019, 06:06 AM   #5
MJE60
Captain
England
Rep

[Just a quick update, recently a couple of people have had serious problems when coding because their car went to sleep (auto shut-off) during coding. The problem occurs after the ignition has been on for more than 15mins but could be much earlier.

Because Bimmercode itself recommend you do not have the engine running whilst coding, although sometimes I do when just exploring. There are two suggestions which may/appear to reduce the “auto-shutoff” risk, first clip in driver seatbelt and secondly turn indicator stalk to activate a parking light. I cannot guarantee either of these will work and my best advise is to make sure, if actually coding, that it is done as quickly as possible after turning on ignition.

With coding,
I always recommend doing research, planning and identifying individual changes you intend to make first. Have this written plan and then keep it as a record. I am amazed at some people begging for help on the coding forum, who actually cannot explain what changes they made to,cause the problem. If you do not fully understand what you are doing or are unsure of what you intend to do, please ask first, there are a number of friends on the forum who will be happy to help.

Last edited by MJE60; 03-29-2019 at 08:32 AM..
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2019, 04:24 PM   #6
PurePulse64
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW X1

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJE60 View Post
Just a quick update, recently a couple of people have had serious problems when coding because their car went to sleep (auto shut-off) during coding. The problem occurs after the ignition has been on for more than 15mins but could be much earlier.

There are two suggestions which may/appear to reduce the “auto-shutoff” risk, first clip in driver seatbelt and secondly turn indicator stalk to activate a parking light. I cannot guarantee either of these will work and my best advise is to make sure, if actually coding, that it is done as quickly as possible after turning on ignition.

With coding,
I always recommend doing research, planning and identifying individual changes you intend to make first. Have this written plan and then keep it as a record. I am amazed at some people begging for help on the coding forum, who actually cannot explain what changes they made to,cause the problem. If you do not fully understand what you are doing or are unsure of what you intend to do, please ask first, they are a number of friends on the forum who will be happy to help.
I leave my car running when coding -- same with ESys. If you're doing a full VO Code you want the car in ACC Mode, if you're doing a full ECU Update you'll need an external battery charger.. If you're FDL or VO Coding ECUs like BDC_BODY, Kafas, Kombi, HU, etc. you should do while the engine is on.

Basic FDL Coding thru Bimmercode just leave your engine running, on some of the ECUs when it restarts the ECU it may kill the engine (BDC_BODY) others like Kombi, KAFAS or HU you can just leave the car running and it won't kill the engine.

For obvious reasons don't code and drive
Appreciate 4
MJE60678.00
rameer5.00
pj7413.50
BMWZ41908.00
      04-02-2019, 08:24 PM   #7
Xorbitman
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW X1

I went with a pro. His price was almost the same as an ODB II Bluetooth connector and the software. My pro has done this a lot. I changed the front fogs to LED, my front amber turns to LED (They're brighter and look super cool), my reverse bright whites and my rear turns. There is a software switch in the ECU that allows the car to use LEDs and dispense with the resistors and bulb check / flashing. I added a lot of cool features that are hidden for the bigger Bimmers. Added functions to the HUD, LCD display in the gauge area and added a few in the menu system. Very happy. One thing that I added that I really like. I can: unlock the doors, open the rearview mirrors, open all the windows, sunroof shade and finally the sunroof while keeping the FOB unlock button pressed for a few seconds. I can also close everything with the lock button. On the handle to lock if I keep it pressed after the doors lock it will fold the mirrors. Also if the mirrors are folded they will unfold when you unlock the doors via the door handle. Those 4 bright white LEDs in the door handles also light up now when I'm in reverse so you can see the sidewalk while parallel parking and people will see you when backing up too. Just a few....

Last edited by Xorbitman; 04-02-2019 at 08:30 PM..
Appreciate 1
MJE60678.00
      04-07-2019, 07:02 PM   #8
wcs2229
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW X1 F48 xDrive28i

I performed my first (simple) Bimmercode today only to turn off the warning disclaimer message when I start the car. I followed MJE60's tips on a Samsung Android tablet (wifi on, bluetooth off) to a Vgate iCar 2 wifi device.

On the 1st attempt to CODE, there was an error and it didn't do anything. I did a RESTORE just in case, which was successful. On the 2nd attempt, the CODE was successful and the warning message is now thankfully gone.

Before I do more coding, my question is whether Bimmercode on Android performs a backup each time you CODE, so you can RESTORE back to the last successful session. I can see that there is a backup file written when I first selected Head Unit ecu, but the file is the same after the successful coding.
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2019, 02:15 AM   #9
MJE60
Captain
England
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by wcs2229 View Post
I performed my first (simple) Bimmercode today only to turn off the warning disclaimer message when I start the car. I followed MJE60's tips on a Samsung Android tablet (wifi on, bluetooth off) to a Vgate iCar 2 wifi device.

On the 1st attempt to CODE, there was an error and it didn't do anything. I did a RESTORE just in case, which was successful. On the 2nd attempt, the CODE was successful and the warning message is now thankfully gone.

Before I do more coding, my question is whether Bimmercode on Android performs a backup each time you CODE, so you can RESTORE back to the last successful session. I can see that there is a backup file written when I first selected Head Unit ecu, but the file is the same after the successful coding.
Congratulations on successful coding.

In answer to your question, the app creates a back-up every time you read. If you then successfully code it will not create a back-up of the write. If you wish to have a back-up of what you have just successfully coded, you will need to do another read. Remember some coding can take an hour to come into effect. Also please note, whilst writing back to the ecu, “coding” , it is normal to get a number of error messages displayed on the CID, they are caused by the temporary break in communication between the different ecu as things are reset. They all disappear once you reset the ignition. Your question has however raised a very important issue (I use the IOS version), namely the android version does not appear to store more than one back-up.

Reading through the android app restore procedure, it does differ from the iOS app version, the android version does not appear to store multiple back-ups (which is the case for the iOS version). I will contact Stephan (creator of Bimmercode) and clarify the situation. Your question has raised an important point for me, namely the newer android version of Bimmercode could be a riskier version to use. If the read data is corrupted then no safe back-up will exist. The original iOS version saves a number of back-ups in date order and you can select which one you use for a restore.

Last edited by MJE60; 04-08-2019 at 09:22 AM..
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2019, 03:14 AM   #10
iceman7
Second Lieutenant
Greece
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJE60 View Post
Congratulations on successful coding.

In answer to your question, the app creates a back-up every time you read. If you then successfully code it will not create a back-up of the write. If you wish to have a back-up of what you have successfully coded, you will need to do another read. Remember some coding can take an hour to come into effect. Your question has however raised a very important issue (I use the IOS version), namely the android version does not appear to store more than one back-up.

Reading through the restore procedure, it does differ from the iOS app version, the android version does not appear to store multiple back-ups (which is the case for the iOS version). I will contact Stephan (creator of Bimmercode) and clarify the situation. Your question has raised an important point for me, namely the android version of Bimmercode could be a riskier version to use. If the read data is corrupted then no safe back-up will exist. The iOS version saves a number of back-ups in date order and you can select which one you use for a restore.
One other thing that bothers me, even though I do remember what I have coded is whether bimmercode keeps backups from different cars!
I have coded some X1s of fellow Greek Club Members and I was wondering if any backups are separately found in case a restore is needed
Appreciate 1
MJE60678.00
      04-08-2019, 04:44 AM   #11
MJE60
Captain
England
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by iceman7 View Post
One other thing that bothers me, even though I do remember what I have coded is whether bimmercode keeps backups from different cars!
I have coded some X1s of fellow Greek Club Members and I was wondering if any backups are separately found in case a restore is needed
You are right Iceman7, if you are coding different cars using the same app, you will need to keep a very clear diary record of which back-up belongs to which car. Here again, using the ios app, you can read twice and write once. I will ask Stephan if there is a mechanism to prevent the wrong back-up being written to a car.

See my post below, Stephan confirmed that back-up data is stored by VIN and it is not possible to write the wrong back up to a car. It is therefore also not possible to deliberately write coding from one car to another using backup.

Last edited by MJE60; 04-08-2019 at 10:47 AM..
Appreciate 1
iceman7117.00
      04-08-2019, 08:21 AM   #12
MJE60
Captain
England
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by iceman7 View Post
I have written to Stephan Gauch, the creator of Bimmercode and asked him for clarification and his view on some of the issues raised in this thread. The exchange is as follows, my question and then his answer and then my thoughts in brackets.

Q1. The IOS Bimmercode app stores a number of back-ups which can be use to restore if the user has a problem. Is there a maximum number of back-ups?

Ans by Stephan : No.

[so there is no maximum number of back-ups! , clearly there must be but presumably this is limited by your device storage capacity]

Q2. Please will you confirm, or otherwise, that the android version of the Bimmercode app only stores one back-up.

Ans by Stephan: Yes.

[so, unlike the iOS app, the android version only stores one back-up which is created from last read]

Q3. Will the android app receive an update to allow more than one back-up to be saved?

Ans by Stephan: No, only the original coding data will be saved.

[it is assumed there is no plans to update the android app so it saves more than one back-up like the iOS version - see wcs2229 post below on how to do it manually.].

Q4. Because Bimmercode read information is used to both create a back-up and after “coding” to write modified information back to the ecu, what validation takes place?

Ans by Stephan: The coding data is checked by its signature in the app and in the car in the ECU. It is near to impossible invalid coding data gets written without notice.

[This is helpful but not surprising and indicates that Stephan does not believe it likely invalid data will get written back to the ecu without warning.]

Q5. I and a number of other users believe the app may (very rarely) continue to function even if read data has been corrupted. If read data has been corrupted then both write and back-up would also be corrupted. (Asked to comment).

Ans by Stephan: This post is nonsense.

[So Stephan, as indicated earlier, believes it “near to impossible invalid data gets written without notice” , however his reply therefore allows that it is possible invalid data can get written but notice would be given by the app. It has also not been ruled out as impossible the problem could occur without warning].

Q6. Is it possible to write/restore “back-up” information from one car onto another car (either accidentally or deliberately)?

Ans by Stephan: The backups are stored based on the VIN and it is not possible that one is applied to a car it does not match.

I would like to thank Stephan Gauch for answering my questions and providing clarification on certain areas.

Overall, I repeat that a number of people have reported experiencing “data corruption” problems when using Bimmercode (these problem are not just the coding not working but the actual ecu throwing multiple errors, with one or two threads where car had to be towed to dealer). It is possible these all occurred due to stupidity (or the posts are fiction) or purely due to the wireless write process but the experience of a few users led them to believe their problem was with the read data. Whilst Stephan has rejected this concern/suspicion as nonsense, these users with corrupted data who suspected a “read” problem, reported they could not solve the problem using the app back-up to restore (but in one post luckily had an earlier back-up which did work). This imo, strongly suggests the stored backup data itself was corrupted. This problem with back-up failing to solve the problem is not isolated and one of the reasons why I “read twice” so as to have more than one backup.

You must draw your own conclusion and act accordingly.

In the meantime, due to it only storing one back-up, I can not recommend anyone use the android version of the app without being extremely cautious. Wcs2229 has provided a way to create additional back-ups for the Bimmercode android app, see his post on how to do it, immediately below. Remember coding problem are reported regardless of what tools are used. I use Bimmercode and find it easy, convenient and in easy mode, accessible to ordinary users.

Last edited by MJE60; 05-20-2019 at 05:21 PM..
Appreciate 2
iceman7117.00
wcs2229170.50
      04-08-2019, 09:27 AM   #13
wcs2229
First Lieutenant
Rep

Hello MJE60,

Thanks for your advice and doing all the research.

With my Bimmercode Android app, I can access the backup file after reading and coding, then rename or copy it under a different name (e.g., append date and time). After the next read, I found that Bimmercode will create a fresh backup file under the original file name, which presumably contains the coding from the last successful session.

In this way, I hope that there will be a series of backup files that I can rename or copy back to the original file name in case of restore.

For good measure, I installed the same app on a 2nd Android tablet (no extra cost) and perform a read to get another backup file.
Appreciate 2
MJE60678.00
iceman7117.00
      04-08-2019, 09:33 AM   #14
MJE60
Captain
England
Rep

U
Quote:
Hello MJE60,

Thanks for your advice and doing all the research.

With my Bimmercode Android app, I can access the backup file after reading and coding, then rename or copy it under a different name (e.g., append date and time). After the next read, I found that Bimmercode will create a fresh backup file under the original file name, which presumably contains the coding from the last successful session.

In this way, I hope that there will be a series of backup files that I can rename or copy back to the original file name in case of restore.

For good measure, I installed the same app on a 2nd Android tablet (no extra cost) and perform a read to get another backup file.
Great advice, with your permission, I will amend my post to point to yours.

Last edited by MJE60; 04-08-2019 at 09:52 AM..
Appreciate 1
iceman7117.00
      04-10-2019, 04:39 PM   #15
wcs2229
First Lieutenant
Rep

I just wanted to add that I did my Bimmercode in the underground parking lot of my condo building, so no wifi nor bluetooth interference (check that nobody else is nearby sitting in their cars!).
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2019, 08:41 AM   #16
wcs2229
First Lieutenant
Rep

Do people leave the Vgate dongle plugged into the OBDII port all the time, or unplug it after each session? Will leaving it plugged in cause any problems?
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2019, 09:42 AM   #17
rameer
Enlisted Member
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW X1

I have seen in some youtube videos where they recommended to remove it after coding to avoid accidental connections and also conserve battery. Some dongles are programmed to turn off after 30 min of inactivity. Other more experienced members might have more input too
Appreciate 1
MJE60678.00
      04-12-2019, 10:17 AM   #18
iceman7
Second Lieutenant
Greece
Rep

I unplug the dongle after each use.
Appreciate 1
MJE60678.00
      04-12-2019, 10:42 AM   #19
MJE60
Captain
England
Rep

Quote:
Do people leave the Vgate dongle plugged into the OBDII port all the time, or unplug it after each session? Will leaving it plugged in cause any problems?
I would never recommend leaving the dongle plugged into your obd port when not in use, even if just for the fact that you can knock it when entering and leaving the car. I think it would pose an unnecessary risk to the car both in terms of security and electronically.
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2019, 10:44 AM   #20
MJE60
Captain
England
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rameer View Post
I have seen in some youtube videos where they recommended to remove it after coding to avoid accidental connections and also conserve battery. Some dongles are programmed to turn off after 30 min of inactivity. Other more experienced members might have more input too
Sound advice.
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2019, 02:49 PM   #21
wcs2229
First Lieutenant
Rep

The Vgate dongle is supposed to go to sleep after sometime. However, I'll leave it unplugged, as that is the consensus.

Thanks, everyone!
Appreciate 2
      04-12-2019, 03:48 PM   #22
billnchristy
Major
Rep
Drives: 2022 M440xi GC

Garage List
I left my obdlink in one day and my alarm kept going off after I locked the car. I don't know if it was a coincidence or not, it was right after getting the car but it hasn't happened since.
Appreciate 0