BMW
X1 / X2
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW X1 (F48) and X2 (F39) Forums General BMW X1 Forum (F48) Tuning box or Remap on F48

09-16-2016, 12:37 PM   #45
JAY56641
BMW Enthusiast
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X3 M40i

Here's a summary of some of the products I've come accross. Dinan is the easiest to install with just a few clicks but with minimal gains in power. Burger is a little more intricate to get the ODB into the interior but with more power and flexibility than the Dinan tune. My local tuning shop offered the most power but was the costliest option. The local tune really made this car quite an angry machine. Tons more power and torque. We weren't able to Dyno it due to AWD but it has at least 60 RHP and potentially more in torque. The car pulls hard and has power throughout the RPM band. This car is officially fun to drive!

Dinan Tune $299
Approx 30 HP increase at the wheels

http://www.dinancars.com/product/d44...ries&mid=1238/

Burger Tuning $529
Approx 40 HP increase at the wheels

http://www.burgertuning.com/B58_JB4_...nce_tuner.html

Local BMW tuning shop $700
Approx 60+ HP increase at the wheels

http://bimmerperformancecenter.com/b...s/dyno-tuning/
      09-16-2016, 01:39 PM   #46
Ed_rx7
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW M3 CP

Is this what you have experienced from other cars or the X1? Coz apart from the Dinan tune(Dyno)..... 'Bum' dyno's are pointless!
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2016, 02:38 PM   #47
JAY56641
BMW Enthusiast
United_States
Rep

Yes, I've had a good amount of experience with tunes in the past. Some of my prior cars include:

2007 BMW 335i with Dinan stage 1 tune
2007 BMW 335i with JB4 tune, Intercooler, downpipe, BOV, Methanol Kit
2014 BMW 335i with JB4 tune
2015 BMW X3 V6 with Burger N55 stage 1 tune
2016 BMW X1 with Custom Tune

Dinan is always a pricey option but they usually back up the factory warranty. Not so much on the current Dinantronics tune. The Burger tunes have always been impressive....good value and impressive performance. This is my first custom tune and I'm so far loving it. The shop I went to did a tune on a mini that shares the same motor. Looks like an increase to the wheels of 59 hp and 47 TQ. I've attached the Dyno graph.
Attached Images

09-21-2016, 04:16 AM   #48
Ed_rx7
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

What % would you say correction is for the gearbox?
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2016, 05:47 PM   #49
Phinehas
Rep
Drives: 2017 X1 - Xdrive28i

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAY56641 View Post
Burger tune still needs clarification. So I installed the tune and the engine sputtered. Talked with Terry with Burger tuning and sounds like they are still getting clarity on the correct tune for the B46 engine. I'm returning the burger tuned and just ordered the Dinan. Unfortunately I won't be able to install that one for a bit. Brought my car to an automated car wash this weekend and it crushed my hood and windshield. Going to be driving a rental for a bit.
Did you ever get the Dinan unit installed? If so what are your thoughts on it as I'm considering ordering one?
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2016, 09:48 AM   #50
JAY56641
BMW Enthusiast
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phinehas View Post
Did you ever get the Dinan unit installed? If so what are your thoughts on it as I'm considering ordering one?

I never ended up installing it. Another member did install one on an earlier posting. You might want to check with his results. If your looking for something easy to install and take off and with a little bit more spunk it could be a good solution for you.
      10-01-2016, 07:27 PM   #51
Phinehas
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAY56641 View Post
I never ended up installing it. Another member did install one on an earlier posting. You might want to check with his results. If your looking for something easy to install and take off and with a little bit more spunk it could be a good solution for you.
Thanks Jay. I can only assume that your custom tune will void your warranty as it seems more involved than the dinatronics plug and play option. I ask because I'm in the Asheville area and if it was worthwhile and maintained the warranty I would seriously consider getting my X1 tuned at your local shop.
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2016, 01:22 PM   #52
JAY56641
BMW Enthusiast
United_States
Rep

Yeah in essence it does. I don't plan on taking my car to the dealer again since I did the reflash tune and usually use local shops anyway. I can say the tune is absolutely awesome! The car is officially a beast and tons of fun to drive. You might want to look into the Burger Tune.....it's somewhere in between in power and not that hard to install. If your ever in the area and want to take my car for a spin let me know. It might change your mind......
      10-05-2016, 09:14 AM   #53
Phinehas
Rep

Just a general question to you guys; do these plug and play type tunes, or even the more serious tunes for that matter, present a significant increased risk for engine failure or other types of problems with BMWs? This is my first BMW so I'm not as familiar with the brand's reliability and engine quality; I have had Porsche and other premium cars in the past, but you can't compare apples to oranges as they say.
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2016, 08:25 PM   #54
JAY56641
BMW Enthusiast
United_States
Rep

I've had numerous tunes with numerous BMW's with no problems. That being said it depends. Tuning a car allows the car to run at it's peak potential. If your running your car to the max everyday and taking it to the track you are probably going to wear the car down. For most people having a tune allows fun daily driving. In that context I can't see how it would be any less reliable than a stock car.
      10-05-2016, 10:27 PM   #55
stefan
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: M2 Comp

Like any engine mod, you need to pay more attention. Watch your heat and be careful pushing it in hot weather and you'll be fine.
      10-06-2016, 08:02 AM   #56
Phinehas
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dinan_Engineering View Post
As shown above the tune in question is the SPORT variant. The full DINANTRONICS Elite unit is still in development for the B series engines but will make an appearance at some point.
Any rough timeline when the full Dinantronics Elite unit will be finished with development and ready for the B series engines?
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2016, 08:50 AM   #57
Dinan_Engineering
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Any BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phinehas View Post
Any rough timeline when the full Dinantronics Elite unit will be finished with development and ready for the B series engines?
Nothing that would hold any water or I would want to float out into the interwebs. =)

Its being developed and we have made some good progress as of late on the 340i (B58) and one of the major roadblocks we had been running into for quite some time. With some luck development on the B series stuff should go at a much quicker pace now.
Appreciate 1
      10-07-2016, 02:59 PM   #58
makpowa
Spain
Rep
Drives: X1 F48 xLINE 18sDrive

I think remap is always better, more parameters to touch
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2016, 07:36 PM   #59
Phinehas
Rep

Well, I'm in an awkward position. I ordered the Dinan unit on Thursday and should receive it Tuesday. I was planning on installing it same day, but last night my 1 week old X1 had a significant hiccup with a drivetrain malfunction which I describe in a separate thread. The issue went away today oddly, though I still tried to get the car into the service center but had to settle for scheduling an appointment two weeks from Monday. Obviously, my concern is installing the Dinan unit if I'm going to be having a serious warranty claim in the very near future as I don't want any grounds for BMW not to honor said warranty. I would take the unit off clearly, but there would still be traces a qualified technician could find.

Smart choice is to hold off installing the unit until this is sorted, but lingering adolescent tendencies some twenty years out make that a hard choice.
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2016, 02:22 AM   #60
Ed_rx7
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

It's probably a wise decision. But there should be no trace of you remove it. Mine had the same issue once and went away and never came back. I happened after giving the car much welly ( driving it very very hard) when I first got it. I put it down to the car being new and just learning and settling in etc. I have since never had the issue arise again. The message stayed on for about 1 minute.
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2016, 09:49 AM   #61
John@BPC
Rep
Drives: BMW M3, M4, M5

Here's a link to our tune if anyone's interested.

https://bimmer-performance-center.my...-x1-dme-tuning
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      12-31-2016, 08:50 AM   #62
Dosturbos
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 F48 X1 MSport

I wish I had known about this before pulling the trigger on the burger JB4. Nice work.
I'm getting the actual Burger chip today and installing shortly. I will post my thoughts and impressions of it.
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2017, 09:09 AM   #63
zznalg
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 X1 xDrive28i

Any update to the full DINANTRONICS Elite unit still in development for the B series engines?
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2017, 03:39 PM   #64
ttimbo
Major
Rep
Drives: F48 X1 25i AW; F20 M135i AW

As I read the info on this, the Dinan box simply increases boost. Is that correct and, if so, to what level, and what increase in exhaust gas temperature results?
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2017, 01:19 PM   #65
Dosturbos
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 F48 X1 MSport

Thoughts on JB4 for B48 X1

This was actually an experience. Burger has updated their products, and although they are very responsive through email, I feel that the product would benefit from more trouble shooting advice, pictures and documentation. Also, it feels like you have to dig to find stuff, some quick links would be hugely helpful in this instance. I didn't know the serial port is now inside the enclosure, so that was frustrating. I will say the new OBDII setup is much easier to deal with over the positaps. The first chip I received from Burger was defective so my installer and I were left scratching our heads. Thankfully Burger, even Terry himself, was quick to respond. Be prepared to take pics of installation for troubleshooting purposes. Burger definitely stands behind their products so that was good to see. Once everything was in working order the chip was a breeze to put in. There are only two connections in the engine bay that you need to connect to on the harness. The OBDII cables connects through the firewall. It's actually less intimidating than it sounds.
Map switching/assignment is easily handled through the BC button on the steering wheel.
I set it to map 2. 6lbs of boost over stock.
How does it feel?
I enjoy the improvement. It's not super dramatic, but it's very noticeable. There is a lot more pep and the gears feel shorter. The car is so smooth that you don't feel it as much as you would in a sedan. 0-40 is the most noticeable. It makes me wish the car was lighter because I'd love to toss it around in the corners a bit and accelerate out of sharp turns. I feel more top end on the highway. Passing is easier. It makes for a more spirited driving experience.
I'd be curious to see how she holds up to a custom ECU tune.
No complaints though and happy Burger does what they do.
I'm curious if anyone is making intakes for the X1?
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2017, 06:48 PM   #66
oreoOozZz
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2023 BGM X3MC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dosturbos View Post
This was actually an experience. Burger has updated their products, and although they are very responsive through email, I feel that the product would benefit from more trouble shooting advice, pictures and documentation. Also, it feels like you have to dig to find stuff, some quick links would be hugely helpful in this instance. I didn't know the serial port is now inside the enclosure, so that was frustrating. I will say the new OBDII setup is much easier to deal with over the positaps. The first chip I received from Burger was defective so my installer and I were left scratching our heads. Thankfully Burger, even Terry himself, was quick to respond. Be prepared to take pics of installation for troubleshooting purposes. Burger definitely stands behind their products so that was good to see. Once everything was in working order the chip was a breeze to put in. There are only two connections in the engine bay that you need to connect to on the harness. The OBDII cables connects through the firewall. It's actually less intimidating than it sounds.
Map switching/assignment is easily handled through the BC button on the steering wheel.
I set it to map 2. 6lbs of boost over stock.
How does it feel?
I enjoy the improvement. It's not super dramatic, but it's very noticeable. There is a lot more pep and the gears feel shorter. The car is so smooth that you don't feel it as much as you would in a sedan. 0-40 is the most noticeable. It makes me wish the car was lighter because I'd love to toss it around in the corners a bit and accelerate out of sharp turns. I feel more top end on the highway. Passing is easier. It makes for a more spirited driving experience.
I'd be curious to see how she holds up to a custom ECU tune.
No complaints though and happy Burger does what they do.
I'm curious if anyone is making intakes for the X1?
Nice, im debating the JB4 right now but my car is a lease so well see. What is map 1? And is there anything higher then map 2 or do higher maps require more octane/bolt ons? I believe Burger Motorsports is actually coming out with a intake for the B46 motor.
Appreciate 0