BMW
X1 / X2
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW X1 (F48) and X2 (F39) Forums General BMW X1 Forum (F48) BIMMERCODE - my top two tips

04-12-2019, 05:06 PM   #23
wcs2229
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW X1 F48 xDrive28i

I just thought of another reason not to leave it plugged in:

Someone nefarious may be able to connect and mess up your car if it happens to be on
Appreciate 1
rameer5.00
      05-20-2019, 05:51 PM   #24
MJE60
Captain
England
Rep
Drives: BMW G01 xDrive M Sport

Over the last few weeks I have received a number of PM requests regarding coding needed to upgrade 6.5” touch display to 8.8” touch display. I have also been asked which display (part number) they should buy and what obd2 dongle I use with Bimmercode. So I list the details in case anyone else needs it.

The coding change needed to upgrade 6.5” display to 8.8” for f48 with ENTRYNAV2 HU (please note Bimmercode will show HU as NBT)

Using Bimmercode in expert mode HU NBT 3005 display_pip_config section
Change CID_Display_res from 800x480 to 1280x480
Change CID_Display_ size from 6.5 to 8.8
Now go out and enter 3001 section and find
Display_Variante and change from schmal (German for narrow) to breites (wide)
Now go into Nav section
Find Display_Resolution and change from 800x480 to 1280x480
In brief 4 coding changes in 3 separate section of NBT HU ecu
All changes require expert mode.
Screen works after first two code changes, nav will work also but you need to change res in nav section to get full screen.

Which 8.8” touch display - for most F48 there are only two compatible BMW oem displays. The part numbers are 6550 879 7400 , sellers will often just give part as 8797400. This is latest model. For F48 with build date up to mar 2018 (used jul 2017 - mar 2018 ) the previous version, part number 6550 684 4128 ( or 6844128) may be fitted. Please note F48 built March 2018 to date (May 2019) must use the latest part (8797400) in order to be factory build correct. One other points on screens, the new facelift F48 will come with either 8.8” or 10.25” touch screens so if you haven’t upgraded yet then it may pay to wait as the 8.8” screen will drop in price and the new 10.25” will appear on the secondhand market within a couple of months. Coding for 10.25” screen is already possible as option for 10.25” size and resolution options are listed.

With regard to what dongle to use with Bimmercode app. I recommend Bluetooth rather than wireless and personally use the Vgate pro 4.0 Bluetooth obd2 reader/scanner. You can buy through Amazon, eBay, Bimmercode website and other coding shops.

Finally, although not asked, if you have a choice I would recommend the iOS version of the app rather than the android. The app was originally developed for iOS and the iOS version allows multiple back-ups to be created and saved rather than just one for the android version.

Last edited by MJE60; 05-20-2019 at 06:13 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2019, 04:17 PM   #25
zeljko2
Enlisted Member
Croatia
Rep
Drives: BMW X1 sDrive 18d F48 4.2019.

Hi!
Not to open a new topic.
Has the BMW in the vehicle X1 F48 produced on 4th of 2019 in the software disabled the coding with Bimmercode and vgate pro bt 4.0.
Which version of vgate to use?
Thank you.
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2019, 04:35 PM   #26
MJE60
Captain
England
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeljko2 View Post
Hi!
Not to open a new topic.
Has the BMW in the vehicle X1 F48 produced on 4th of 2019 in the software disabled the coding with Bimmercode and vgate pro bt 4.0.
Which version of vgate to use?
Thank you.
Sorry but your questions do not make sense.
If you are asking whether BMW have blocked/disabled Bimmercode access for your car then the answer is no. Have you bought full version of Bimmercode? The free version will allow you to read Ecu but you will not be able to code. Vgate pro 4 bt version should work with your car.

Last edited by MJE60; 05-24-2019 at 08:12 PM..
Appreciate 1
zeljko221.00
      05-24-2019, 04:59 PM   #27
zeljko2
Enlisted Member
Croatia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJE60 View Post
Sorry but your questions do not make sense.
If you are asking whether BMW have blocked/disabled Bimmercode access for your car then the answer is no. Have bought full version of Bimmercode? The free version will allow you to read Ecu but you will not be able to code. Vgate pro 4 bt version should work with your car.
I do not know why these questions make no sense. As a laity, everything makes sense, while experts consider the same issues to be stupid. I have not bought any version of bimmerkode yet, but I will buy a full version.
Somewhere I've read that car makers sometimes make software coding impossible, so I wonder if this is the case with BMW.
Also appreciate the fact that my bad English language is so my questions are sometimes weird.
Thank you for the information.
Appreciate 1
akiben0.00
      05-24-2019, 08:16 PM   #28
MJE60
Captain
England
Rep

Quote:
I do not know why these questions make no sense. As a laity, everything makes sense, while experts consider the same issues to be stupid. I have not bought any version of bimmerkode yet, but I will buy a full version.
Somewhere I've read that car makers sometimes make software coding impossible, so I wonder if this is the case with BMW.
Also appreciate the fact that my bad English language is so my questions are sometimes weird.
Thank you for the information.
We are lucky to have so many members sharing information and news from around the world and being a global forum I appreciate that for many users English is not their first Language. I always try to be respectful if the English is poor or has been badly translated and therefore apologise for saying your question did not make sense. I should have written that I was having difficulty understanding your question and was therefore having to guess what you were asking.

On the 19th May I replied to your PM and gave you a link to the Vgate obd2 reader I use and recommend. I was therefore not sure if or why you were asking which Vgate to use. I guessed correctly that you were asking if BMW had disabled coding access in F48 built after April 2019 but I was uncertain why you were asking the question. I guessed incorrectly that you might be asking the question because you could not get Bimmercode to code your car.
Appreciate 1
zeljko221.00
      05-24-2019, 08:51 PM   #29
ejw2011
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: x3 F25 35i, x1 F48 28i

Did he/she purchase the app? Don't think bmw would didable
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2019, 11:29 PM   #30
zeljko2
Enlisted Member
Croatia
Rep

Quote:
We are lucky to have so many members sharing information and news from around the world and being a global forum I appreciate that for many users English is not their first Language. I always try to be respectful if the English is poor or has been badly translated and therefore apologise for saying your question did not make sense. I should have written that I was having difficulty understanding your question and was therefore having to guess what you were asking.

On the 19th May I replied to your PM and gave you a link to the Vgate obd2 reader I use and recommend. I was therefore not sure if or why you were asking which Vgate to use. I guessed correctly that you were asking if BMW had disabled coding access in F48 built after April 2019 but I was uncertain why you were asking the question. I guessed incorrectly that you might be asking the question because you could not get Bimmercode to code your car.
We all explained. Do not be angry.
Thanks again.
Appreciate 1
MJE60678.00
      05-25-2019, 12:02 AM   #31
civciv
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: X1 F48 Med. Blue

I have Vgate Icar 2 BT and Bimmercode app. Thinking about to buying Obdlink LX adapter. Does it have any benefits? e.g. more secure and faster connection, more coding options, etc.
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2019, 01:45 AM   #32
MJE60
Captain
England
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ejw2011 View Post
Did he/she purchase the app? Don't think bmw would didable
No, not yet purchased the app. I think the question was in response to something read online about manufacturers locking obd2 ports to prevent owner access. I am not aware that BMW have or are intending to do this.
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2019, 01:50 AM   #33
MJE60
Captain
England
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by civciv View Post
I have Vgate Icar 2 BT and Bimmercode app. Thinking about to buying Obdlink LX adapter. Does it have any benefits? e.g. more secure and faster connection, more coding options, etc.
Well, they claim it is faster but I am sorry I have not tried it. Changing scanner/reader would not give you more coding options, this is dependent on the software/app. Make sure you update to latest version regularly. For extra features, You may want to look at Bimmerlink, this app allows you to look a data such as errors, faults, logs etc stored in the Ecu. You can also clear faults etc.

Last edited by MJE60; 05-25-2019 at 02:06 AM..
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2019, 02:00 AM   #34
MJE60
Captain
England
Rep

Quote:
We all explained. Do not be angry.
Thanks again.
I am just concerned not to have upset you, not angry. Thank you for reply
Appreciate 1
zeljko221.00
      05-25-2019, 04:06 AM   #35
civciv
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: X1 F48 Med. Blue

Quote:
Well, they claim it is faster but I am sorry I have not tried it. Changing scanner/reader would not give you more coding options, this is dependent on the software/app. Make sure you update to latest version regularly. For extra features, You may want to look at Bimmerlink, this app allows you to look a data such as errors, faults, logs etc stored in the Ecu. You can also clear faults etc.

Thanks for your reply. Some people has mentioned about that you can have more coding options with different adapters on F87 forums, if I remember correctly.

I have heard about Bimmerlink but as far as I know, Bimmerlink app is not available on Android. Hope they release it for Android soon.

Last edited by civciv; 05-25-2019 at 05:52 AM..
Appreciate 1
MJE60678.00
      05-25-2019, 08:51 AM   #36
MJE60
Captain
England
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by civciv View Post
Thanks for your reply. Some people has mentioned about that you can have more coding options with different adapters on F87 forums, if I remember correctly.

I have heard about Bimmerlink but as far as I know, Bimmerlink app is not available on Android. Hope they release it for Android soon.
I am not aware that using a different adapter will give more coding options for the same app. There are different apps, Carly for example.

The most coding options are available through programme called E-Sys, this programme is run on Microsoft windows computer using an ENET cable. E-Sys is actually a BMW programme. If you want more details, I wrote a thread on using E-sys;

https://f48.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1600244

If you want E-sys then you will need to go to Bimmerfest forum, they have BMW coding and programming section (you can log-in using your bimmercode details).

Last edited by MJE60; 05-25-2019 at 11:03 AM..
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2019, 02:41 PM   #37
SDriver18i
Private First Class
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW X1 s18i 2019

Quote:

The most coding options are available through programme called E-Sys, this programme is run on Microsoft windows computer using an ENET cable.
Regarding E-Sys, I have the 7 speed box, would I be able to code things like sports+, sports automatic transmission or is that just for the 8 speed? Bimmercode doesn't give me the transmission option and stephan told me that I might not be able to tweak it even with E-Sys.
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2019, 07:20 PM   #38
HansB
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW X1

Thank you for this information. Felt a lot more comfortable coding with the OBDLink MX+BT and Bimmercode after reading this post.

Read ecu twice initially for a clean backup. Changing one setting at a time and exiting/starting the app and keeping notes as to backup times is sound advice. Just in case something were to go wrong.
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2019, 03:07 PM   #39
PurePulse64
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW X1

Has anybody had any luck coding on the latest i-step for the X1? (F056-19-11-534) BDC shows unavailable in bimmercode (going to update the PSDZData for esys and try coding thru there)

Edit: NVM, there was another bimmercode update that ended up allowing me to code BDC.

Last edited by PurePulse64; 11-30-2019 at 03:13 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2019, 09:32 PM   #40
Leadfoot77
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by wcs2229 View Post
Hello MJE60,

Thanks for your advice and doing all the research.

With my Bimmercode Android app, I can access the backup file after reading and coding, then rename or copy it under a different name (e.g., append date and time). After the next read, I found that Bimmercode will create a fresh backup file under the original file name, which presumably contains the coding from the last successful session.

In this way, I hope that there will be a series of backup files that I can rename or copy back to the original file name in case of restore.

For good measure, I installed the same app on a 2nd Android tablet (no extra cost) and perform a read to get another backup file.
Could someone please post details on where to find the backup on Android? Like filename/directory? Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2019, 06:49 AM   #41
wcs2229
First Lieutenant
Rep

In Android, open your favourite file manager app (e.g., File Commander HD, Astro) and go to the device's internal home/root folder (varies by Android version).

There should be a folder named BimmerCode. The backup files are in there.
Appreciate 2
MJE60678.00
      06-13-2020, 04:57 PM   #42
Legolas
Registered
Rep
Drives: bmw f31 320d 2012

backup question

Quote:
In Android, open your favourite file manager app (e.g., File Commander HD, Astro) and go to the device's internal home/root folder (varies by Android version).

There should be a folder named BimmerCode. The backup files are in there.

hi i read the whole topic and wanted to start to modify my car with bimmercode.

since MJE60 mentioned to have 2 backups i wanted to create even more just in case, so first thing when i log in the app i was just looking at the options i have and then disconnected.
went to check and change the backup since i have android
and i found out that i had 6 backups already so i am not sure if they are correct.
i donīt want to start coding until iīm sure the backups are ok if they are backups.
i put some screenshots if anyone can help about it
thank you
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      06-13-2020, 09:59 PM   #43
wcs2229
First Lieutenant
Rep

The following link has a small section at the bottom on Backups:

https://bimmercode.app/manual/

The statement "The first time the coding data is read from a control unit a backup is created automatically to restore the original coding data later or to recover in case of an error." is consistent with you getting the backup files after looking at various options.

My empirical observations are that each of the 7 files is from each of the 7 control units you looked at, with the last 6 characters corresponding to which control unit. You can confirm by only looking at only 1 control unit and getting only 1 file.

If you look at all of the control units, then you would get a "full backup". After that, you only have to look at the control unit you want to change to get a "partial" backup.
Appreciate 1
MJE60678.00
      06-14-2020, 07:44 AM   #44
Legolas
Registered
Rep
Drives: bmw f31 320d 2012

Quote:
The following link has a small section at the bottom on Backups:

https://bimmercode.app/manual/

The statement "The first time the coding data is read from a control unit a backup is created automatically to restore the original coding data later or to recover in case of an error." is consistent with you getting the backup files after looking at various options.

My empirical observations are that each of the 7 files is from each of the 7 control units you looked at, with the last 6 characters corresponding to which control unit. You can confirm by only looking at only 1 control unit and getting only 1 file.

If you look at all of the control units, then you would get a "full backup". After that, you only have to look at the control unit you want to change to get a "partial" backup.
Thank you I almost made a mistake in the start
So I open every coding available extract the file and do again like that and then I have 2 full backups
I don't need to open sub folder once I enter
Example instrument cluster once I open that's it and then open new air conditioning ect..

Just want to be cautious before starting to mess with it
Thank you for the reply
Appreciate 0