BMW
X1 / X2
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW X1 (F48) and X2 (F39) Forums General BMW X2 Forum (F39) possible to add HK sound to Hifi X2?

04-01-2019, 09:48 PM   #1
Freiheit
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2011 Competition Coupe

possible to add HK sound to Hifi X2?

We bought an X2 M-Sport for a DD. Hunting for an X2 without a sunroof was a task but I found one. Its a very enjoyable ride to and from work, and it keeps me from putting miles on my M3. The only downer is the sound system is just the regular "Hifi". The curve has huge gaps in it. It needs subs, and its missing about half of the mid-bass band.

I know this question gets asked about every model in the BMW lineup, but I haven't seen it here yet: how difficult will it be to add the top of the line sound to this ride? Are the wires in place for the extra speakers and the upgraded amp? Will there be coding necessary? I'm betting there will be, since there's no EQ in the iDrive menu for the audio, just basic tone controls.
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2019, 06:37 AM   #2
dianebrat
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 orange x2 xDrive28i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freiheit View Post
Will there be coding necessary? I'm betting there will be, since there's no EQ in the iDrive menu for the audio, just basic tone controls.
The h/k doesn't have the EQ in the software it's also tone controls only.
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2019, 09:17 AM   #3
Freiheit
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dianebrat View Post
The h/k doesn't have the EQ in the software it's also tone controls only.
Interesting. So then it should just be a direct bolt in with no coding necessary.
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2019, 10:48 AM   #4
dianebrat
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 orange x2 xDrive28i

Quote:
Interesting. So then it should just be a direct bolt in with no coding necessary.
Well I have no idea on the extra wiring, but for some reason I thought the US models still had the subs for the HiFi system. (I may be incorrect)

I had to do a custom order to get the combo I wanted because the dealer had almost all standard HiFi x2s which I thought was weird and the difference to me in sound quality was substantial.
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2019, 03:40 PM   #5
alemandujano
Rep
Drives: BMW z4

I will advise to look for something else, I just upgraded to aftermarket Audison equipment (PRIMA), it's a huge difference from Hi-fi and actually from HK itself (I got HK on a z4 and Audison it's even better)... you should check that option out.
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2019, 04:28 PM   #6
Freiheit
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Well I have no idea on the extra wiring, but for some reason I thought the US models still had the subs for the HiFi system. (I may be incorrect)
The Hifi has subs, but it doesn't have H/K subs. Two different part numbers in the realoem book, and believe it or not there's a third sub as well. Unless I'm misreading it, that one says its for people who have both 676(Hifi) and 674(H/K) audio. WTH is that?

Quote:
I had to do a custom order to get the combo I wanted because the dealer had almost all standard HiFi x2s which I thought was weird and the difference to me in sound quality was substantial.
Dealer stock has long been a frustration of mine. It was practically impossible to find an E46 M3 coupe in dealer stock back in 2005/2006. They ordered mostly convertibles. When impatient people would shop and see verts and they didn't feel like waiting for a hardtop, the verts would sell. Then the dealer would claim thats all that people wanted. All the coupes were ordered with sunroofs so if you did find a coupe, you had to accept the roof as-is. And they'd claim everyone wanted a sunroof because thats what's selling. So, I had to order my '05 and wait for it to get what I wanted.

I'm truly surprised to find an X2 without a sunroof and without nanny systems. I'd really like to have PDC, and I'll probably add it before the end of the year, but its kind of a trick to get that without getting all the warning systems, HUD, and other nonsense that comes in that package. No dealer is going to order a car like that for stock. It'd be like finding a 6MT E46 M3 with PDC. Rare as all could be.
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2019, 04:34 PM   #7
Freiheit
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by alemandujano View Post
I will advise to look for something else, I just upgraded to aftermarket Audison equipment (PRIMA), it's a huge difference from Hi-fi and actually from HK itself (I got HK on a z4 and Audison it's even better)... you should check that option out.
This is just a DD and won't be getting too many mods, aside from the downpipe/cat delete, full ground effects, body color mouldings, PDC install, stage 2 software, maybe some better wheels, PS4S, a bunch of codes, ceramic tint, paint correction, XPel, possibly some radar countermeasures, maybe upgrade the brakes to M35i, some good low-dust pads, better bushings, possibly tint the lights, blackout grilles, do a CF wrap on the roof and spoiler, maybe a few other things. I think it would probably be over the top to get aftermarket speakers, I don't want to go crazy, man.

Now, if you could talk another X2 owner into upgrading their H/K to Audison or something else, I'd be able to take their amp and drivers off their hands. Whad'ya say? You in?
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2019, 02:25 AM   #8
satz
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW X3 M40i

Have a look in realoem. Of course, in addition to the different speakers, there's some differences in things like the door trims (to accommodate the extra tweeter in the rear doors). Also the amp is different, but could perhaps fit in the same location/bracket?

The dash board has the centre speakers that the base model doesn't.

The tweeters on the front doors have a different grille. In fact so do all the visible speakers in all doors.

Not sure about the 2 floor mounted subs, whether the grille is already there, or is it just a cavity?

cheers
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2019, 04:45 AM   #9
MJE60
Captain
England
Rep
Drives: BMW G01 xDrive M Sport

Quote:
We bought an X2 M-Sport for a DD. Hunting for an X2 without a sunroof was a task but I found one. Its a very enjoyable ride to and from work, and it keeps me from putting miles on my M3. The only downer is the sound system is just the regular "Hifi". The curve has huge gaps in it. It needs subs, and its missing about half of the mid-bass band.

I know this question gets asked about every model in the BMW lineup, but I haven't seen it here yet: how difficult will it be to add the top of the line sound to this ride? Are the wires in place for the extra speakers and the upgraded amp? Will there be coding necessary? I'm betting there will be, since there's no EQ in the iDrive menu for the audio, just basic tone controls.
If you have the BMW base audio system, you will have 4 door speakers (midrange) and two bass units under the front seats, all driven through the main HU. Imo the speakers are some of the worst quality found in a “premium” brand vehicle and I did a part upgrade using two HK tweeters and front door trims as well as replacing front door speakers with HK versions. This modest upgrade made a significant difference. The BMW oem “mid quality/enhanced” system has separate amp and additional speakers, most prominently one in the middle of the dash. The oem mid quality system does have slightly better quality speakers but still paper cone and flat. The HK system has separate amp in boot/trunk side panel , 4 tweeters etc full diagrams, spec etc have been posted in the X1 forum and I am cautious quoting exact numbers because this is a global forum and there may be variations between markets.

Fully retrofitting a HK system is possible and they come up regularly for sale. If you are lucky you will have already have the optical cable running from the HU to the rear of your car., it is easy to spot, the wires are green and twice as thick are copper versions. Most audio installers would have no problem retrofitting the HK system for you but it would be expensive, if only because you would need two new front door trims and two replacement rear door panels for the tweeters (although they could be placed next to mid-range but would be hidden and loose some dynamic effect). Whether you should do HK upgrade or go for after-market alternatives, will be a very personal choice, imo you should at very least take some music samples and listen to the systems in-situ. Some people like the stock HK (I do for example) but many audiophiles do not rate it and prefer alternatives. As I believe dianebrat and others have mentioned, the F48 HK system is dumbed down so you will not get graphic equaliser but it is night and day compared to base system.

For my own retrofit, I found that the HU itself provides respectable sound, you will not get higher volume of separate amp, just replacing speakers will provide a dramatic improvement (especially if you also add some tweeters). If I would recommend going and listening to this type of set-up (for example focal) before committing to a full-blown install. The HK front door trims are worth fitting just for the cosmetic improvement and these two tweeters alone dramatically improve range, this would be, IMO, the most effective way to get material improvement. Good luck, let us know what you choose.

Last edited by MJE60; 04-06-2019 at 05:30 AM..
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2019, 05:15 PM   #10
Freiheit
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJE60 View Post
If you have the BMW base audio system, you will have 4 door speakers (midrange) and two bass units under the front seats, all driven through the main HU. Imo the speakers are some of the worst quality found in a “premium” brand vehicle and I did a part upgrade using two HK tweeters and front door trims as well as replacing front door speakers with HK versions. This modest upgrade made a significant difference. The BMW oem “mid quality/enhanced” system has separate amp and additional speakers, most prominently one in the middle of the dash. The oem mid quality system does have slightly better quality speakers but still paper cone and flat. The HK system has separate amp in boot/trunk side panel , 4 tweeters etc full diagrams, spec etc have been posted in the X1 forum and I am cautious quoting exact numbers because this is a global forum and there may be variations between markets.

Would you happen to know the build codes for the various stereos? Obviously I don't have the top stereo (HK) but I'd like to know which of the others I do have.
Dinan Stg II Suspension • Remus Race • Gintani CF lip / CF quarter fins • Vorsteiner Type II CF Diffuser • BMW Performance CF Spoiler / black fender gills / black kidney grilles / CF mirror cover • Speed Element GTS CF side skirts • M3 GTS door sills • Lux Angel Eyes • body color reflectors • Alex@Alpine Stg I tune • AA filter
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2019, 10:40 AM   #11
MJE60
Captain
England
Rep
Drives: BMW G01 xDrive M Sport

Quote:
Would you happen to know the build codes for the various stereos? Obviously I don't have the top stereo (HK) but I'd like to know which of the others I do have.
Hi, the build specs vary by market and it looks like in the U.K. BMW have dropped the middle option, just leaving 674 Harmon Kardon or basic no code apart from dab tuner.
The easiest way to tell, is this, if your car has HK you will have HK tweeter in front window surround and in rear door cards. If you do not have then next check is - do you have. A central dash speaker? -if yes you have the BMW middle upgrade with dedicated amp and slightly better quality speakers. if not then you have the basic 6 speaker system. If you do have a central dash speaker then you can switch the BMW amp for HK one and upgrade the speakers. The amp is hidden in the boot/trunk behind left hand side panels. If you just have basic system with no separate amp the. You can still upgrade the six speakers nd also retrofit HK tweeters.
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2019, 10:57 AM   #12
Freiheit
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJE60 View Post
f you do not have then next check is - do you have. A central dash speaker? -if yes you have the BMW middle upgrade with dedicated amp and slightly better quality speakers. if not then you have the basic 6 speaker system. If you do have a central dash speaker then you can switch the BMW amp for HK one and upgrade the speakers. The amp is hidden in the boot/trunk behind left hand side panels. If you just have basic system with no separate amp the. You can still upgrade the six speakers nd also retrofit HK tweeters.
I have a grill in the dash for a central speaker, but I have no idea if there's a speaker in there. I can't see one through the windshield, and I'm not going to pull the dash to check. Are you sure BMW makes two different dashboards?

The HK system, if its like the previous generations, has a separate amp channel for each driver. (The E36 one for example had 10 channels, 3 for each front corner and two for each rear, so the whole system was actively crossed at the amp instead of passively crossed at the corners, with all the attendant problems that creates.) I think the HK system has 4 or 5 more speakers in it than the lower system(s), so if I put the HK amp in the slot isn't there a problem with channels running to a dead end and therefore holes in the frequency response? Or did HK go back to a proper 4 corner topology with passives at each corner?
Dinan Stg II Suspension • Remus Race • Gintani CF lip / CF quarter fins • Vorsteiner Type II CF Diffuser • BMW Performance CF Spoiler / black fender gills / black kidney grilles / CF mirror cover • Speed Element GTS CF side skirts • M3 GTS door sills • Lux Angel Eyes • body color reflectors • Alex@Alpine Stg I tune • AA filter
Appreciate 0