BMW
X1 / X2
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW X1 (F48) and X2 (F39) Forums General BMW X1 Forum (F48) Just bought a used 2019 X1 — bumpy ride?

04-25-2023, 04:51 AM   #1
Lamoi
Rep
Drives: BMW X1

Just bought a used 2019 X1 — bumpy ride?

Hi…

Having just got my first BMW, I was quite excited.

I recently purchased a BMW X1 (used)

F48 X1 sDrive18i SE B38 1.5i
Mil - 8241
£20k

Which I thought was quite a good deal. The car was in mint condition and had very low mileage.

I’ve driven pretty average cars my whole life. Therefore I’m a little late to the party of luxury brands. I bought an Audi A3 last year. This is the first time I’ve ever driven a luxury brand, and the experience was revelatory. The drive was so smooth it just blew my mind. Therefore I was quite excited to get the BMW X1 as a replacement for a Nissan Qashqai as the new family car.

I’ve never driven a BMW before, and I was expecting a similar experience to the Audi, it being very pleasurable, smooth ride. However, to my horror, the BMW X1 is a far cry from my experience in the Audi. It’s not completely terrible, but the suspension is clearly quite stiff and you feel EVERY bump. The Nissan was a smoother ride, which surely shouldn’t be the case.
My wife was immediately exclaiming that we should take it back, and it was not worth 20K.
So I’m left really scratching my head with this one…?

We have tried the different driving modes, comfort, eco-pro, sport, and none of these mode seems to radically make a difference.

I still really like the car, and I do feel that it was a good deal. But the ride comfort when paying 20K for a car really should be there.

Returning the car at this stage seems like a lot of palaver to go through. And I’d rather avoid it.

Is there something we are missing? Is there a setting or a way that you have to tune the car in order to get the suspension to be softer?
Is there something that we can add to the car to help the suspension be softer?

Please any help would be greatly appreciated.
Attached Images

Last edited by Lamoi; 04-25-2023 at 04:56 AM..
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2023, 08:56 AM   #2
Carlman3
Private
Rep
Drives: 2020 X1, 2009 328i

You could check your tyre pressure.
Does it drive differently than when you test drove it, or test drove any X1 prior to purchasing?
There is no option to make your suspension ride differently based on the option list you've attached. You can take it somewhere to have it checked for a defect and/or replace with all new springs and dampers.

I have a 2020 with standard dampers like your version and it feels solid and smooth, not the least bit horrifying. I would say it feels a little soft to me, just like it did on the test ride.

Maybe you should have bought an Audi since you knew it pleased you. Or
better yet, kept your old Nissan with well worn dampers... at no cost, which is a better deal than spending 20,k.
Sounds like you've put yourself in a bit of a palaver at this point so your next steps will likely be horrifyingly banal. Perhaps this is a learning moment?
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2023, 09:09 AM   #3
Lamoi
Rep

Tyre pressure seems fine. I can check that.

So why would mine be different to yours?

What size are your wheels? I would have thought the base model essentially drives the same….
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2023, 09:18 AM   #4
TB80
Rep
Drives: X1

I've just bought a near identical car - albeit the M Sport trim - so guessing mine would be more bumpy than yours.

It can be a bit bumpy, but for me this is my first nice car, so me and the family are a lot more upbeat about it! Probably helps I've not driven anything smoother.

The only annoying thing I've found so far is that the car feels like it always on the cusp of stalling in anything other than sport mode.
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2023, 09:40 AM   #5
Lamoi
Rep

I spent some time researching our next family car. The BMW X1 is the pick in my opinion for a decent family care — SUV cross-over category. Big boot, spacey interior, reasonable fuel economy and better than most of its peers, and is generally good to drive (on smooth roads!) and certainly feels like a premium product. Also read the petrol versions are pretty reliable.

I was just surprised it’s not smoother. You really feel any bumps.
Nothing I had read in both reviews and feedback indicated that the suspension was stiff or that the ride was not particularly smooth. I am now reading on some historical posts on forums that other people have had similar experiences. Which is annoying because nothing else I had read mentioned any of this.

With regard to the stalling. What I have noticed in lower gears, it seems to have a little tolerance for low speeds. Lower than other cars I’ve driven. It does feel like it’s going to stall at times but only at low speeds.

My other annoyance is the digital speedometer is position at the very bottom of the screen and sometimes depending on your driving position, my wife’s sits lower in the car, than I do as I’m quite tall — she could barely see the digital speedometer at all because it was obscured by the steering wheel.
It really seems like an odd design choice positioning the digital display so low, sandwiched in between two massive old school speed dials.

Last edited by Lamoi; 04-25-2023 at 09:55 AM..
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2023, 10:11 AM   #6
Carlman3
Private
Rep
Drives: 2020 X1, 2009 328i

So the X1 looked good on paper and you did not sit in one before purchasing? Pants, shoes, and food all have the ability to look good on paper too.. but until you try them, you will not know if they fit or how YOU or YOUR family will like them.

It sounds like you are annoyed and venting here. Hope it helps you get through this trial. The only thing I know for sure: Nothing will change until you change something. Hope you can take it to a mechanic, check tyre pressure, or do some things that help.
I have 18" wheels so even less sidewall than you. I plan to replace with a lower/stiffer setup in a couple years.
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2023, 10:34 AM   #7
Qsilver7
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F06 650ix GC / F15 X5 50i

Are your rolling on runflat tires? If so, what brand and model tire? BTW, runflats tend to give a harsh ride...but security in case of a flat.

Become a BMW CCA member! Click HERE to join and feel free to use my BMW CCA member #191509 as a referral.
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2023, 10:59 AM   #8
TB80
Rep
Drives: X1

Good shout that, mine didn't come with run flats - despite the car salesman telling us it did. Could be why the ride feels a little smoother as read elsewhere it makes a fair difference.
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2023, 11:08 AM   #9
prabhash
Registered
Rep

Changing to any good Tubeless tyres instead of the run-flat ones would make a lot of difference in the ride quality. BMW's are a little on the stiffer side, but that gives them an edge at high speeds.
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2023, 11:28 AM   #10
Lamoi
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qsilver7 View Post
Are your rolling on runflat tires? If so, what brand and model tire? BTW, runflats tend to give a harsh ride...but security in case of a flat.
Ahhh ok. Will check that.
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2023, 11:34 AM   #11
Lamoi
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlman3 View Post
So the X1 looked good on paper and you did not sit in one before purchasing? Pants, shoes, and food all have the ability to look good on paper too.. but until you try them, you will not know if they fit or how YOU or YOUR family will like them.

It sounds like you are annoyed and venting here. Hope it helps you get through this trial. The only thing I know for sure: Nothing will change until you change something. Hope you can take it to a mechanic, check tyre pressure, or do some things that help.
I have 18" wheels so even less sidewall than you. I plan to replace with a lower/stiffer setup in a couple years.
Yea you got me. Got it delivered didn’t test drive first. I just presumed because it was a premium brand car I would t need to. Rookie mistake.
But I can live with it. I do enjoy driving it. Just the bumps I noticeable so I assumed there must be something wrong with the car as it’s a BMW! But every car is different I guess.

Spoke to the BMW dealership and suggested because the car is practically new, previous owner was an older lady who drive it to the shops and back, and that’s it - the suspension is still tight.
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2023, 01:41 PM   #12
mrpingu
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 F48 X1 xDrive 18D

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lamoi View Post
I spent some time researching our next family car. The BMW X1 is the pick in my opinion for a decent family care — SUV cross-over category. Big boot, spacey interior, reasonable fuel economy and better than most of its peers, and is generally good to drive (on smooth roads!) and certainly feels like a premium product. Also read the petrol versions are pretty reliable.

I was just surprised it’s not smoother. You really feel any bumps.
Nothing I had read in both reviews and feedback indicated that the suspension was stiff or that the ride was not particularly smooth. I am now reading on some historical posts on forums that other people have had similar experiences. Which is annoying because nothing else I had read mentioned any of this.

With regard to the stalling. What I have noticed in lower gears, it seems to have a little tolerance for low speeds. Lower than other cars I’ve driven. It does feel like it’s going to stall at times but only at low speeds.

My other annoyance is the digital speedometer is position at the very bottom of the screen and sometimes depending on your driving position, my wife’s sits lower in the car, than I do as I’m quite tall — she could barely see the digital speedometer at all because it was obscured by the steering wheel.
It really seems like an odd design choice positioning the digital display so low, sandwiched in between two massive old school speed dials.
You know you can lower the steering wheel as wel?
Next time get a HUD, you will not regret it. Best option IMO.

BTW I don’t find my X1 stiff, quite the contrary but I am coming from a Peugeot Partner with any support in the seats. Sport seat are a massive upgrade from that.
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2023, 03:42 PM   #13
DevilzGtr
Rep

Quote:
Ahhh ok. Will check that.
You probably have standard tyres (non runflats) since your spec sheet shows your car came with a tyre repair kit. It's easy to check though, look out for abbreviations like RFT / RSC etc depends on your tyre brand though
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2023, 04:43 PM   #14
Lamoi
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrpingu View Post
You know you can lower the steering wheel as wel?
Next time get a HUD, you will not regret it. Best option IMO.

BTW I don’t find my X1 stiff, quite the contrary but I am coming from a Peugeot Partner with any support in the seats. Sport seat are a massive upgrade from that.
Yes — the used BMW and Audi, Merc market…. They are all basic, base models.
It’s rare you find any significant extra’s especially at affordable prices.
I had to really look to even find one with reverse cam. That was non negotiable, my wife wanted that.

We saw one with the projected HUD you speak of at a local BMW dealership, but the car had 38k mileage and was not in great condition in the cabin. So I didn’t go for it… ahhhh but that’s why the digital speedometer seems to be an afterthought, the HUD is what you are “meant to have”….

Everything is an extra with these luxury brand cars, it’s annoying.
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2023, 03:40 AM   #15
mrpingu
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 F48 X1 xDrive 18D

Garage List
Quote:
Yes — the used BMW and Audi, Merc market…. They are all basic, base models.
It’s rare you find any significant extra’s especially at affordable prices.
I had to really look to even find one with reverse cam. That was non negotiable, my wife wanted that.

We saw one with the projected HUD you speak of at a local BMW dealership, but the car had 38k mileage and was not in great condition in the cabin. So I didn’t go for it… ahhhh but that’s why the digital speedometer seems to be an afterthought, the HUD is what you are “meant to have”….

Everything is an extra with these luxury brand cars, it’s annoying.
Yep, you have to pay for everything. This is really a German thing I believe, it’s also with VAG cars like Audi

Especially the lower series it’s hard to find a car with all the options but worth looking for as prices are mostly the same. I got a quite good specced car for around the same money as the average with less options go for. Only thing I regret mine doesn’t have is Comfort Access.

Not having the electronic and auto dimming outside mirror and front PDC can I live with
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2023, 10:54 AM   #16
Lamoi
Rep

Can you fit adaptive dampners to a used X1?
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2023, 11:33 AM   #17
Reverendx91
Rep

Dam. I thought I was the only one. I done so much research and everyone was saying get the X Line and not the M Sport cause of how stiff it is and it's now been 6 months since I got the bmw x1 20i X Line (in uk btw) and dam it's not comfortable at all lol. I've owned a seat ibiza and hyundai tucson and I feel they were definitely much more comfortable. Tried different tyre pressures and still no good.
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2023, 11:34 AM   #18
Reverendx91
Rep

I've got the xDrive version too and 18 inch tyres. To be fair I was expecting rolls royce level comfort moving from Hyundai Tucson
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2023, 01:21 AM   #19
Lamoi
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reverendx91 View Post
I've got the xDrive version too and 18 inch tyres. To be fair I was expecting rolls royce level comfort moving from Hyundai Tucson
Yes.

I’d never driven a luxury brand before getting my Audi A3. Driving that for the first time was a revelation. I thought all cars were essentially the same. Boy was I wrong. In fact the Audi was so enjoyable that A3 got me into cars! Never had much interest before.

So I was exactly like you. I thought wow, Bmw must be the same deal! So I was a little shocked.

I do enjoy the X1. It’s a nice family car I think. But yeah, it’s just not the smoothest.

I wonder whether you can pay to get adaptive dampners retro fitted??

Also — another chink in the armour. I’ve noticed the fuel guage goes down pretty quick. Kinda worried about that.my wife and I commute to London for jobs (60mile round trip). I was hoping for the standard, 7-10 days on a fuel tank. I’ve gotta figure out how to reset the mileage counter, to test how much you get on a full tank.
My A3 (petrol) can do a full 60 miles round trip and the guage won’t even move. It’s not bad.of course it’s a hatchback, so smaller car.

The xline gets worse fuel economy I’ve read? 4 wheel drive I guess…
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2023, 02:25 AM   #20
Abh29
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW. X1 f48. 20i xLine xDrive

We have done over 65,000 miles now in the 20i Xdrive xline and find the ride very good,but two items may be affecting you. We have Sports seats and Lumbar support fitted. We do not feel "every bump" but we do feel our potholes,

Not on Run on Flat tyres 225/50R18 run at recommended pressures.

Our petrol has been 36.9mpg from when bought the car at 2100 miles.Tried Eco once never again ,normally Comfort or Sport.

I don't know about ride quality on Audi but I do notice our Granddaughters A1 needs service every 10,000 miles.

Oddly i find the seats in my 20 year old Z3 to be very good but the ride is harsh due its sport spec and low profile tyres.

Last edited by Abh29; 04-29-2023 at 07:51 AM..
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2023, 02:57 AM   #21
Reverendx91
Rep

Lamoi You are noticing the exact issues I've noticed too lol. They should have really put the digital speed meter showing screen at the top instead of the bottom (I know I could adjust the steering wheel/seat to see it better but then I risk not sitting the way I want to, comfortably).

Since I got the car I've been using mainly comfort mode and I was getting around 23-24mpg. Now I've been using eco pro daily and getting around 27-28mpg (I believe weather plays a big part in this too so in the summer I am expecting to get even better mpg).

I seem to be getting probably like 10-20 miles extra when using premium fuel (Shell V-Power/Esso Synergy Supreme).

I'm pretty sure if you have the money you can get anything done to a car but yeah don't think it will be cheap to retrofit adaptive dampers.

Here's the spec of my car:

Quote:
01AG Larger fuel tank
01CA Selection of COP-relevant vehicles
01CB CO2 equipment
0230 Extra package, EU-speciifc
0249 Multifunction f steering wheel
0255 Sports leather steering wheel
028A BMW LA wheel, Y-spoke 569
02PA Locking wheel bolt
02TB Sport automatic gearbox
02VB Tyre pressure display
02VC Tyre repair set
02VG Performance Control
0302 Alarm system
0316 automatic trunk lid mechanism
03AT Roof rails aluminium satinated
03L8 Exterior equipment, aluminium, satinised
0423 Floor mats velours
0428 Warning triangle and first aid kit
0470 Isofix-System
0473 Armrest front
0493 Storage compartment package
0494 Seat heating driver/passenger
04FD Seat adjustment for rear seats
04LU black high-gloss accent chrm. Perlglanz
0508 Park Distance Control (PDC)
0534 Automatic air conditioning
0544 Cruise control with brake function
0563 Light package
0575 Additional 12V sockets
05A4 LED headlight with extended scopes
05AV Active Guard
05DP Park Assist
0650 CD drive
0654 DAB tuner
0698 Area-Code 2 for DVD
06AC Intelligent emergency call
06AE Teleservices
06AK Connected Drive Services
06AM Real-Time Traffic Information
06UN Navigation
07HW X Line
0812 National version England / Ireland
0850 Dummy-SALAPA
0853 Language version, English
0877 Omission of non-combined operation
0880 On-board literature, English
08KA Oil service interval 24 mths / 30,000 km
08R9 Refrigerant R1234yf
08S2 Coding, alarm signal
08S3 Automatic locking during starting
08SM Car ident. number visible from outside
08TF Active pedestrian protection
08TG Thiefproofing device
09AA Outer skin protection
A070 70 Ah AGM battery
LEDE Leather equipment
When I was first looking to buy a car last year, it was between this BMW X1 or a Hyundai Tucson premium trim. I only went with the bmw x1 only cause it's faster lol and I guess looks better.
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2023, 02:43 PM   #22
Lamoi
Rep

What was your MPG on the Tuscan I have heard their fuel economy wasn’t great….

The Xline is 4 wheel drive.

WHICH states regarding the X1 “Those looking to minimise emissions and fuel consumption should avoid large alloy-wheel options and choose a two-wheel-drive ‘sDrive’ models over the four-wheel-drive ‘xDrive’ variants.”

I’m currently slightly concerned about the X1’s fuel economy.

Full tank says 450+ miles. But last week it went down fast. And we didn’t do a full week of commuting…

I swear I’ve only done around 200 miles on a full tank!

That cannot be right. That’s shit.

My A3 (petrol) gets 450 miles easy. I can go to London and back 60 miles and that fuel gauge doesn’t move.
I know it’s a hatchback of course, smaller car. But this doesn’t seem right.

Last edited by Lamoi; 04-29-2023 at 03:08 PM..
Appreciate 0