BMW X1 (F48) and X2 (F39) Forums General BMW X1 Forum (F48) Halogens to LEDs

02-23-2021, 06:22 AM   #23
chowser51
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F33 430 and F39 M35i

Garage List
I like the morimoto 2 stroke 3.0. I ordered some for my daughter's car. I like that they heat up the assembly. The beamtechs I installed in her car doesn't do anything for icing up during a storm.
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2021, 11:46 AM   #24
CFilSpeed
Rep
Drives: 335i M4 X1

I just purchased the morimoto 2stroke 3.0 as well. High beam went in very easily. I am struggling with the low beam and the retention clip being both too narrow for the heat sink and sticking out too far from the lense and not fitting in the gap between the adaptor and heat sink. For those that used these, how did you bend the retaining clip?
Thanks.

Edited - Never mind. I slid the base connector of of the light, and was able to use the retaining springs as is, then slid the LED light back into the base. Actually pretty easy….

Last edited by CFilSpeed; 12-05-2021 at 12:52 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2022, 05:18 PM   #25
MizikeTSK
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 XDrive 50i MSport

Quote:
Originally Posted by chowser51 View Post
I like the morimoto 2 stroke 3.0. I ordered some for my daughter's car. I like that they heat up the assembly. The beamtechs I installed in her car doesn't do anything for icing up during a storm.
How are the Morimoto's holding up today? Did you have to add the adapter or code that you went from halogen to LED's?
      01-10-2022, 03:51 PM   #26
Xorbitman
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW X1

Hi Everyone,
My 2018 Canadian X1 was ordered with the executive package and LED headlights. It came with the reverse and plate LED lights. I changed the rear turns to LED and front fog lights were replaced with high quality LEDs; I hired a programmer to add options and features to my car and unlock certain extra feature and also a separate program to modify my HP and TQ with my BMS Cold Air intake /intake system. I needed him to change the options to include all LED otherwise the lights would blink/flicker whenever I started the vehicle. He also erased all the factory error codes that were left in the system when the car was new. I bought it new BTW and fully optioned. The LEDs were full plug and play and a direct replacement for the halogens that the car came with. The Fogs were Weisslicht LED Fogs for the H8. You can also purchase the error cancellers from them too. Once you code the LED option and you can do this with Bimmercode too yourself if you have the ODBII connector, software and a laptop but it's cheaper to hire someone that know what they're doing. My LES fogs are as bright as my from LED headlights and exactly the same color. WeissLicht is a premium brand and these will last a long time and most probably longer than the OEM bulbs. I also installed 3M Clear protector film over the fog light housing to prevent stone chips and breaking. I also put the same protective film over my headlights to protect them from chips and cracks and yellowing. I have the same film on the front portion of the hood too. I highly recommend doing this because fogs tend to break/crack and I don't have to polish the headlights to remove oxidation. I also added the M logo LED light projectors under the front doors that illuminate under the doors at night.
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2022, 05:08 PM   #27
chowser51
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F33 430 and F39 M35i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by MizikeTSK View Post
How are the Morimoto's holding up today? Did you have to add the adapter or code that you went from halogen to LED's?
No coding or adapter. She's driving a Subaru.
After living with halogens on my e90s, I made sure my F33 and F39 had LEDs from the factory.
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2022, 06:51 PM   #28
MizikeTSK
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 XDrive 50i MSport

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1stf48 View Post
New f48 owner and new to Bimmerpost. Recently installed morimoto 3stroke 2.0 led headlight bulbs. Even after coding they still flicker and turn off when car is running. With engine off they work fine. Is it possible I still need the pwm module? Fogs are new led but after coding work fine. Thanks guys.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kvndng View Post
Just put a pair a couple of weeks ago, I ended up buying GTR decoders and now they are fine
Where did you guys buy your Morimoto's? Everwhere I look specify for fog light only.
      01-11-2022, 07:03 PM   #29
1stf48
Rep
Drives: 2016 x28i msport

Quote:
Originally Posted by MizikeTSK View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1stf48 View Post
New f48 owner and new to Bimmerpost. Recently installed morimoto 3stroke 2.0 led headlight bulbs. Even after coding they still flicker and turn off when car is running. With engine off they work fine. Is it possible I still need the pwm module? Fogs are new led but after coding work fine. Thanks guys.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kvndng View Post
Just put a pair a couple of weeks ago, I ended up buying GTR decoders and now they are fine
Where did you guys buy your Morimoto's? Everwhere I look specify for fog light only.
Headlightrevolution.com
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2023, 01:04 PM   #30
mikew2069
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: F30 335i MSport

Quote:
Originally Posted by stealth1 View Post
Skyline - thank you! This was the first time I'd dealt with LED H7's and didn't realize the mounting plate separated from the rest of the bulb. Once detached, the plate installed easily like a regular H7, then I just inserted the bulb assembly, gave it half a turn and the job was done without having to bend a thing.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fcbayern04 View Post
Would someone who bought the Techmax be able to confirm that these lights can replace both the low and high beams halogens with no modifications? Thank you!
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonTran8 View Post
It fit for the Techmax. I might have had to apply a little pressure and maneuvering to the metal bracket to make sure it sat flush, but it wasn't a struggle of any sort.
Glad I found this thread. Hopefully someone can respond because I also can't figure out the Techmax install with the retaining clip being too small.

Stealth, when you say the mounting plate separated from the rest of the bulb, are you talking about the Techmax bulb? I can't seem to separate anything on the Techmax and nervous I'll break it.
2016 F15 50i ///M-Sport
BM3/H&R/Borla
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2023, 09:31 PM   #31
mikew2069
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikew2069 View Post
Glad I found this thread. Hopefully someone can respond because I also can't figure out the Techmax install with the retaining clip being too small.

Stealth, when you say the mounting plate separated from the rest of the bulb, are you talking about the Techmax bulb? I can't seem to separate anything on the Techmax and nervous I'll break it.
I figured it out that the mounting plate twists out of the Techmax bulb and you put the plate in the headlamp assembly.

However, when I twist the bulb into the mounting plate, the rear overhang of the retaining clip presses down on the top rear of the fan base which effectively makes the bulb point upwards inside the headlamp. Might need to look for another option.
2016 F15 50i ///M-Sport
BM3/H&R/Borla
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2023, 12:24 PM   #32
Bhandyman1976
Rep
Drives: 2016 x4 m40

Quote:
I figured it out that the mounting plate twists out of the Techmax bulb and you put the plate in the headlamp assembly.

However, when I twist the bulb into the mounting plate, the rear overhang of the retaining clip presses down on the top rear of the fan base which effectively makes the bulb point upwards inside the headlamp. Might need to look for another option.

Let me know if you’re able to make it work or find another option!
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2023, 10:03 AM   #33
mikew2069
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bhandyman1976 View Post
Let me know if you’re able to make it work or find another option!
I made it work and they're definitely brighter than stock halogens.
2016 F15 50i ///M-Sport
BM3/H&R/Borla
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2023, 11:40 AM   #34
Bhandyman1976
Rep

Quote:
I made it work and they're definitely brighter than stock halogens.
Great, gonna take the plunge! Any tips or tricks for the install?
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2023, 10:20 AM   #35
Bhandyman1976
Rep

Great video on showing how to install the base! Shown on a Porsche but very similar to BMW retaining clip
https://youtu.be/5qoeCQbXGgs
Appreciate 0