BIMMERPOST Universal Forums Off-Topic Discussions Board Music and the memories

02-28-2021, 02:48 PM   #1
TiMSport
Banned
Ukraine
Rep
Drives: '21 M340i xDrive, '17 Audi S3

Music and the memories

So I thought I’d start a new thread that could maybe be considered a spinoff from that massive thread started by BForbes all the way back in 2009.

I haven’t been around here all that long so I know many have become online friends and share experiences in various posts which I can appreciate. Having said that, I don’t want to step on any toes by beginning a thread that looks too similar to another one but I think/hope this will be different.

Because I love music and many kinds of music crossing many genres, this was tough for me to decide how to begin. What I want to do is rather than randomly post a link to a YouTube video to a song you’re currently listening to, I thought about posting a song or maybe even an album with commentary behind it. What I mean is share something about the music and/or yourself on this particular piece of music you’re posting. Whether it be a child hood memory, college days, first date, someone you lost, unforgettable travel experience, etc., share it. I took a few stabs at this on the aforementioned and epic “what song are you listening to right now?” thread by adding some comments when uploading a link to a song I was listening to, but I realized I wanted something more, something deeper that maybe some could enjoy. I dunno, maybe this is a loser of an idea but thought it’s worth a shot.

I’m going to start with one of my favorite bands when I was in college, The Cure. I went to their “Kiss Me Kiss Me Kiss Me” tour concert when they did a stint in Seattle. I have to say, I think it was the best concert I had ever been to, bar none. I think The Cure is known for epic sets that last hours, definitely get your money’s worth for sure. I was glad to see they made it to the Rock and Roll HOF in Cleveland. When I visited the HOF recently, many years later, I couldn’t help but be pleased to see them with a space there. I saw an article in the display case that was from the Kiss me kiss me kiss me tour and I felt some nostalgia.

So I was already in college when said concert was held but was invited to join some friends from high school that were a couple of grades younger than myself, including a girl I was attracted to. I didn’t really have her attention so to speak when I was in HS but for some reason after heading off to college and staying in contact with mutual friends, something had changed. So when she invited me to go see The Cure with her, I was surprised and happy. Just one of many memories I have and just one example of a group and song that always triggers a period of time in my past. For those that don’t know, this album and subsequent tour came out in 1987. I graduated HS in ’86.

Just Like Heaven

From that same album is a track I have always loved that got no radio time and maybe a bit obscure called “If Only Tonight We Could Sleep”. Very interesting style. Definitely not a pop song.

Rock and Roll HOF
Attached Images

Appreciate 2
Fast.F10512.50
Buug95916835.00
      02-28-2021, 07:22 PM   #2
TiMSport
Banned
Ukraine
Rep

Well this has become a self own. I guess no one wants to play, lol. Oh well.
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2021, 09:24 PM   #3
TiMSport
Banned
Ukraine
Rep

this one because I used to listen to Limp Bizkit on my Mini Disc (MD) player while taking the train daily to my office in downtown Tokyo. I don't know what it was but this music used to give me energy when I needed it. MD is something I don't think ever took off here in the US. Super popular in Japan though. I used to record from original CDs to the MD on my home audio setup and make the "mixed tape" type of collection. I wish I would've kept that portable Sony MD player, maybe it would be worth something.

Appreciate 0
      03-01-2021, 10:27 AM   #4
TiMSport
Banned
Ukraine
Rep

Getting close to closing shop on this one but here's one more....

Back around 1992 I went to a small live house in Seattle to check out this alternative rock band The Lemonheads as they had a song that was playing on the radio I liked (see below). They also did a cover of "Mrs. Robinson" which was interesting.

It was a cheap entry and could drink beers while taking in the scene. Upon entering, lo and behold there was Johnny Depp sitting at a table pushing their paraphernalia so I was surprised to say the least. Had a brief chat with him and I guess he was friends with them at the time. Not something you see everyday.

Appreciate 1
Buug95916835.00
      03-01-2021, 10:59 AM   #5
Tommy-G
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2015 435 Vert Alpine White

For me, growing up in New Jersey had it all....NYC, Atlantic City, Philly, not to mention the Jersey Shore, not Pauly D but the real Jersey Shore.

Since fleeing NJ in 2015 anytime I hear anything from Bon Jovi it takes me back. I have not even gone back to visit since arriving in Florida but Bon Jovi being a NJ superstar always makes me feel like I am back in NJ for those few moments.

I cant get the darn video to embed I suck
Appreciate 1
TiMSport12786.50
      03-01-2021, 11:15 AM   #6
TiMSport
Banned
Ukraine
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TommyG-inFlaNow View Post
For me, growing up in New Jersey had it all....NYC, Atlantic City, Philly, not to mention the Jersey Shore, not Pauly D but the real Jersey Shore.

Since fleeing NJ in 2015 anytime I hear anything from Bon Jovi it takes me back. I have not even gone back to visit since arriving in Florida but Bon Jovi being a NJ superstar always makes me feel like I am back in NJ for those few moments.

I cant get the darn video to embed I suck
Ahh Bon Jovi. The memories I have of them are the guys that lived in the room next to me when I was in the college dorms. They were completely obsessed with them and constantly played their stuff into the late hours.

In fact, tied in with my original post and me being a Cure fan, I'd be playing that and similar stuff and they would give me crap all the time about it. These guys grew up and went to school with some of the old "grunge" band types like Alice in Chains that I mentioned in another post.

A few years later when I came across one of them he admitted that he went to a Cure concert and said he was shocked at how good they were live. Somehow I felt vindicated

Which Bon Jovi vid are you trying to post?
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2021, 11:52 AM   #7
TiMSport
Banned
Ukraine
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by FoxMan32 View Post
My best memory is Queen
Details?
What are you reminded of when listening to Queen?
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2021, 12:05 PM   #8
happyjack
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '21 F87 M2C 6MT

Garage List
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oEHBTjIYejE

i remember the first time i saw the ocean as a kid and i will forever associate that experience with america's "horse with no name." i was probably 4 or 5 years old and my mother drove my younger sister and me to ocean city maryland just for a day trip. she drove an old pontiac with an 8-track and listened to a variety of 70s classic rock bands. but apparently, "horse with no name" was my favorite, because i kept asking her to play it over and over to sing along during the drive. i do remember lots of sing-alongs with my mom in the car and definitely remember loving this song. i grew up around the chesapeake bay and spent tons of time on / around the water, but seeing, hearing, and smelling the ocean for the first time definitely made an impression on me.

my garage: '23 G05 xDrive40i m-sport; '21 F87 M2C, 6MT; '17 F25 x-drive28i SAV; '15 F55 mini hatch 5-door
retired: '87 E30 MT 'vert; '92 E36 sedan; '99 E36 MT 'vert; '06 E90 x-drive sedan; '07 E83 x-drive30 SAV; '09 E91 x-drive wagon; '12 E89 Z4 MT M-sport; '15 F22 sport line
Appreciate 2
TiMSport12786.50
Buug95916835.00
      03-01-2021, 12:30 PM   #9
Tommy-G
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2015 435 Vert Alpine White

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiMSport View Post

Which Bon Jovi vid are you trying to post?
It was a mashup
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2021, 12:47 PM   #10
TiMSport
Banned
Ukraine
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by happyjack View Post
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oEHBTjIYejE

i remember the first time i saw the ocean as a kid and i will forever associate that experience with america's "horse with no name." i was probably 4 or 5 years old and my mother drove my younger sister and me to ocean city maryland just for a day trip. she drove an old pontiac with an 8-track and listened to a variety of 70s classic rock bands. but apparently, "horse with no name" was my favorite, because i kept asking her to play it over and over to sing along during the drive. i do remember lots of sing-alongs with my mom in the car and definitely remember loving this song. i grew up around the chesapeake bay and spent tons of time on / around the water, but seeing, hearing, and smelling the ocean for the first time definitely made an impression on me.
Nice! I can visualize what you're describing. What a great tune. I also like "Ventura Highway".

8-track! Honestly I was considering using that as my intro for this thread because it's just so old school. I had a bunch of stuff on that format including Boston's debut album "Boston", Led Zeppelin "Houses of the Holy", etc. I absolutely hated the fact there was no rewind function to hear a song again so you'd have to fast forward the entire album to get back to the song you want to hear!

To dovetail your memory of being a kid and listening to music in your mom's car, I have a similar memory of Fleetwood Mac's "Dreams". That was my absolute favorite song when I was little. It would often play on the radio and I just wanted to hear it over and over again. There was something mystical about the gypsy looking Stevie Nicks. Who would ever have guessed that song would become super popular again in today's time due to a skate boarding cran-raspberry juice chugging dude on Tik Tok?!
Appreciate 2
happyjack1657.00
Buug95916835.00
      03-01-2021, 12:55 PM   #11
4Hockey4
Banned
Rep
Drives: Pinto

I've been to 100's of concerts so could be here all day with experiences etc.

Guess most memorable

1) RUSH 8 times - reason bought first drum set (one Grohl later played...may have been his first who knows lol)
2) NIN - RIGHT before they hit it big, at BoatHouse in Norfolk.
3) Foo's - Dave came and did online pre sale show in Richmond few years back @ The National, only holds 1,300.
4) Garth Brooks - back in the day, (along with Neil Diamond live), simply 2 of the best entertainer/performers I've ever seen live.
5) Bon Jovi - I was good friends with his cousin, and went to his Slippery When Wet at Capital Center...great show, but more memorable were the 100's (maybe 1000) women walking around in lingerie.

So many from VH, Motley, Amos...100's but those stand out.
Appreciate 1
TiMSport12786.50
      03-01-2021, 01:23 PM   #12
TiMSport
Banned
Ukraine
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Hockey4 View Post
I've been to 100's of concerts so could be here all day with experiences etc.

Guess most memorable

1) RUSH 8 times - reason bought first drum set (one Grohl later played...may have been his first who knows lol)

3) Foo's - Dave came and did online pre sale show in Richmond few years back @ The National, only holds 1,300.

4) Garth Brooks - back in the day, (along with Neil Diamond live), simply 2 of the best entertainer/performers I've ever seen live.

5) Bon Jovi - I was good friends with his cousin, and went to his Slippery When Wet at Capital Center...great show, but more memorable were the 100's (maybe 1000) women walking around in lingerie.

So many from VH, Motley, Amos...100's but those stand out.

Damn, I always new Rush fans were dedicated! Coincidentally I watched their documentary on Netflix again the other day "Beyond The Lighted Stage". Such an awesome production seeing how they began and where they were up until this doc was produced in 2010? I played many an air guitar and drums to their tunes. RIP Neil Peart.

Nine Inch Nails FTW! My friend and I would crank "Head Like a Hole" often before heading out to the latest dive bar with local bands in that genre. Had to be sure to wear the Doc Martens. Nice to see Trent Reznor still at it, including picking up a Golden Globe.

Nice! That's right, Grohl went to school in Virginia. I always associated him with the Seattle scene of course for obvious reasons.

Don't have anything for this

Wow, must've been pretty thrilling to say the least, lol.

Van Halen (RIP Eddie), definitely one of my all time favorite rock bands. I never had the pleasure of seeing them tour when DLR was with them but I saw them many years later with Hagar performing in Tokyo. My friend saw VH with DLR and I guess he was always known to be a clown during their shows. Apparently some dude kept trying to pick at his shoelaces at the edge of the stage or something and he muttered "dude if you do that one more time I'm gonna f*** your girlfriend".

Last edited by TiMSport; 03-01-2021 at 01:29 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2021, 03:33 PM   #13
UncleWede
Long Time Admirer, First Time Owner
United_States
Rep
Drives: G01 X3 M40i Dark Graphite

Kiss - Destroyer: First album my mom let me buy, with the money we earned together cleaning my dad's office building.

Also, Eagles, mom played steel guitar in HS/early college.
Appreciate 1
TiMSport12786.50
      03-01-2021, 03:45 PM   #14
TiMSport
Banned
Ukraine
Rep

First album I bought (vinyl) was Hotel California. The title track has stuck with me ever since for decades. When I travel to Japan I can suddenly transform into Don Henley at a local karaoke box, lol.
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2021, 03:48 PM   #15
UncleWede
Long Time Admirer, First Time Owner
United_States
Rep
Drives: G01 X3 M40i Dark Graphite

Funny, the only time I do karaoke is in foreign countries. The wife and I fell over the table in Nagasaki when I tried to dip her at the end of a song I sung. Sake may have been involved. . .
Appreciate 1
Buug95916835.00
      03-01-2021, 03:58 PM   #16
TiMSport
Banned
Ukraine
Rep

Haha, me too! I can't sing for shit but when overseas you suddenly look like Tom Cruise and have a set of pipes like Steve Perry (or vocalist of choice)

I've got a lot of memories from drinking too much sake that's for sure. Damn COVID! I've been needing to go abroad but haven't been on a plane for a year. Wait, this might belong in the other thread (first world problems)
Appreciate 1
Buug95916835.00
      03-01-2021, 04:01 PM   #17
gjm120
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2013 128i, 2021 230i

Went to see Leslie West / Mountain and the opening act was a band called Jethro Tull. Mountain were a significant come down after Jethro Tull who became someone you heard everywhere you went.

(I'm old )
Buug95916835.00
      03-01-2021, 04:03 PM   #18
kscarrol
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 X3 M40i, 1974 2002 Tii

Bruce Springsteen at the 2006 NOLA JazzFest. Seen him many times but being the first Fest after Katrina, this song I will never forget...

Appreciate 1
TiMSport12786.50
      03-02-2021, 10:58 AM   #19
King Rudi
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Meat Suit

I wouldn't say I'm a concert goer as I don't often attend them. I pick and choose and very selective. Last concert was Tool, next show will be The Deftones in September.

As a teenager, I remember seeing the clay pottery scene in Ghost and thinking to myself, what hell is this shit??? I actually remembering laughing at it. Fast forward a few years later, 3rd row, center stage....The Righteous Brothers maybe 20' in front of me belting out Unchained Melody.....holy shit man. Wow is all I can say.

A few years later, my father had bought tickets to see Billy Joel. The day of the concert, he and his girlfriend of 5 years split so he took me. My father and I had a very tumultuous relationship. This concert was 3 days before my 18th birthday. This was the last event that my father and I attended together. Due to my relationship with him, I had been planning to move out on my 18th birthday and finish high school living with a friends parents. The encore of the show was Piano Man. To this day I can't hear that song without being riddled with emotion.
Appreciate 3
TiMSport12786.50
kscarrol8775.50
Buug95916835.00
      03-03-2021, 10:00 AM   #20
TiMSport
Banned
Ukraine
Rep

Whenever I hear anything off of Michael Jackson's Thriller album I fondly remember an experience with my dad when we traveled to Tokyo for vacation as a young teenager. It was truly thrilling because my dad being a kind of audio buff wanted to see firsthand all the commotion about this new technology called a Compact Disc (CD) and the Sony CD player that was reportedly released in Japan first called the CDP-101.

I just remember being in awe of all this new technology and the fantastic sound coming out of this new format and some high-tech looking speakers they were playing on in a Sony demo room somewhere in Akihabara (heaven for electronic geeks). It didn't take long for my dad to be convinced he had to have one so he subsequently purchased this CD player and brought it home with him. I remember bragging to my friends what we had at our home. As far as I can remember it hadn't yet been released in the US so it felt pretty cool.

I think the first CD bought was Earth Wind & Fire's "Raise!" album and listening to "Let's Groove" was simply magic. Thriller would come soon after that.

NOTE: I forgot to add this was in 1982

Last edited by TiMSport; 03-03-2021 at 10:10 AM..
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2021, 06:08 PM   #21
Maynard
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 228iX & M2C

I moved to Cleveland in the late 80's and worked with someone who was an underground artist, introduced me to Pere Ubu. They capture the sound of CLE perfectly, one of those 'why didn't they ever get famous? - but glad they didn't as it tends to change people too much. For other fantastic live shows, Iggy Pop would probably be king; Lou Reeed was also very memorable, especially on the New York tour.
Appreciate 2
TiMSport12786.50
Littlebear3508.50
      03-03-2021, 09:40 PM   #22
TiMSport
Banned
Ukraine
Rep

Maynard, I know what you mean. There have been so many bands that come and go that never reach the heights of bands above ground if you will. I used to see plenty of those types growing up in the 80s and 90s. There was a feeling when watching them perform that in a strange way made you feel intimate with them and almost as though no one except those around you in a small live house or venue knew them. Those are the bands that perform magic.
Appreciate 1
Maynard3804.50