BMW
X1 / X2
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW X1 (F48) and X2 (F39) Forums General BMW X1 Forum (F48) How reliable has your X1 been?

12-22-2020, 09:36 PM   #89
humbala
Registered
Rep
Drives: bmw x1

Engine mount broken at 4 years time, car only driven around 15000km.
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2020, 05:24 AM   #90
Jorix
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 120d, BMW X1 xDrive20d

26000 kms (~16000 miles), absolutely no issues so far.
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2021, 04:13 PM   #91
sfmary
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW X1

I hate to say that I'm joining this forum because I'm so horrified about my recent experience with my new awd X1. Just bought it. 1,000 miles on it. Took my daughter on a road trip over her winter break and we parked in a state park to take a hike in rainy weather. We came back after about 2.5 hours and a shallow stream had developed across the entrance / exit to the parking lot because of the rains. I walked into it and it came up to my low mid-calf -- I'm 5'2 so not deep -- and not particularly wide either. We watched other cars leave the lot and drive through it -- a Subaru Outback, a Mazda and a few others that weren't high clearance vehicles so decided it was safe. Nope. Car died right in the middle of of the puddle, threw itself into park and wouldn't turn back on. No way to put it into neutral without being able to turn the car on so we were completely stuck. No cell service but another car said they'd go call a tow truck for us. 1.5 hours later they showed up and put the car on a flatbed to the nearest dealership 50+ miles away. And the verdict? Our brand new car with only 1000 miles on it needs a new engine(!) BMW mechanic explained that the air intake valve on the X1 is lower than on comparable AWD vehicles "for performance" reasons -- apparently below bumper level -- and that this is why every other car in the lot had no problem leaving but our car completely failed and left us trapped in the middle of nowhere in a rainstorm. I am utterly sick to my stomach about this experience -- it seems impossible that a brand new AWD vehicle could be completely disabled / destroyed by a 1 foot deep -- 10 foot wide puddle but, according to the dealership, it was. I have owned other BMWs and BMW-made vehicles (Mini Coopers) my entire life, I thought I did thorough research before buying this car ... and now I have no confidence in it at all. We bought it so we had a vehicle that *could* be driven safely in wetter weather. Instead, it left us trapped in the middle of nowhere. Now that I search through various posts on bimmerforum I see that I'm hardly the only bmw owner who has had this experience. I'm seeing posts from owners of other models who had their engines destroyed from hitting puddles on the freeway, etc. Has anyone else had this horrible experience? Right now I'm just praying my comprehensive insurance comes through.

Last edited by sfmary; 02-23-2021 at 04:16 PM.. Reason: typo
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2021, 03:53 PM   #92
CajunBMW
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 340i and X1, Chrysler Van

That really stinks that you hydrolocked your engine, if i understood correctly. I am glad that you and family are safe as that is the most important thing. Good luck in dealing with the insurance company.

My wife did that same thing to our old 3
Series BMW. There was a wicked down pour and a storm drain clogged and she didn't realize how much water was on the road as she was returning home. She went too fast through the water and the water came over the bumper way too fast and then went into the front grill and then into the air intake. I believe the air intakes for all these cars are inside the front grill. On my new 340, it is to the left if you are looking in the grill and in my X1, it is near the top if you look in the grill. Our X1 is a 2016 and I am not sure what changes may have taken place between our vehicle and yours.

We had to total our old the car since once that water crept into the engine and hydrolocked it, the motor was toast. We bought a new car. She now is much more careful in our new 3 series and in our X1.

My brother in law even tried to help her out so this would not happen again. His joke was not well received I should add. He gave her a ruler with the 9.8 inch mark colored. From 0 to 9.8 he wrote yes you can drive and above 9.8 he wrote NO. He got the 9.8 inches level from our 340 and X1 manual that lists this as the highest water level you should drive through.

Good luck again. Hope you can resolve your damage and get your X1 back on the road.

Cheers,
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2021, 03:56 PM   #93
CajunBMW
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 340i and X1, Chrysler Van

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfmary View Post
I hate to say that I'm joining this forum because I'm so horrified about my recent experience with my new awd X1. Just bought it. 1,000 miles on it. Took my daughter on a road trip over her winter break and we parked in a state park to take a hike in rainy weather. We came back after about 2.5 hours and a shallow stream had developed across the entrance / exit to the parking lot because of the rains. I walked into it and it came up to my low mid-calf -- I'm 5'2 so not deep -- and not particularly wide either. We watched other cars leave the lot and drive through it -- a Subaru Outback, a Mazda and a few others that weren't high clearance vehicles so decided it was safe. Nope. Car died right in the middle of of the puddle, threw itself into park and wouldn't turn back on. No way to put it into neutral without being able to turn the car on so we were completely stuck. No cell service but another car said they'd go call a tow truck for us. 1.5 hours later they showed up and put the car on a flatbed to the nearest dealership 50+ miles away. And the verdict? Our brand new car with only 1000 miles on it needs a new engine(!) BMW mechanic explained that the air intake valve on the X1 is lower than on comparable AWD vehicles "for performance" reasons -- apparently below bumper level -- and that this is why every other car in the lot had no problem leaving but our car completely failed and left us trapped in the middle of nowhere in a rainstorm. I am utterly sick to my stomach about this experience -- it seems impossible that a brand new AWD vehicle could be completely disabled / destroyed by a 1 foot deep -- 10 foot wide puddle but, according to the dealership, it was. I have owned other BMWs and BMW-made vehicles (Mini Coopers) my entire life, I thought I did thorough research before buying this car ... and now I have no confidence in it at all. We bought it so we had a vehicle that *could* be driven safely in wetter weather. Instead, it left us trapped in the middle of nowhere. Now that I search through various posts on bimmerforum I see that I'm hardly the only bmw owner who has had this experience. I'm seeing posts from owners of other models who had their engines destroyed from hitting puddles on the freeway, etc. Has anyone else had this horrible experience? Right now I'm just praying my comprehensive insurance comes through.
Yes we hydrolocked our old 330, it really was a shame. But we looked at the bright side since no one was hurt.

The reply button has a mind of its own sometimes. I tried to tell you what happened to us, but it did show as a reply. My reply is above this reply.

Good luck.
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2023, 07:35 PM   #94
dentalwolf01
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2021 X1 sDrive 28i

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfmary View Post
Hey how did your insurance work out? There is a huge rainstorm in the area and the engine stalled on me while I was driving.
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2023, 09:33 AM   #95
vapore0n
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2010 335i

I was about to purchase a Blue 2020 X1 with about 40k miles. Standard seats, no LED lights. The seats were small and uncomfortable, as mentioned here. The service records indicated that the engine mounts had been replaced.

Last second, we changed to a White 2020 X1, around 40k miles, with sports seat and premium package, got the LED lights I wanted. Seats are so much better.
Auto start/stop was a little rough and turns out there was a cracked engine mount.

To me it just looks like these oi filled mounts are not that good and are very prone to failure.
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2023, 06:20 PM   #96
kmpaskey
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW X1

Definitely an expensive vehicle to maintain!

Just wanted to share my experience; I have a 2016 X1 that I bought as a Certified Pre-Owned for $26K USD in Aug 2019 with 26K miles. Only issue during the CPO warranty was a shifter that was replaced at no cost. Since the warranty expired in 2022, I've had to replace an engine oil filter mount at a cost of $2200 USD. I just had a turbo waste gate actuator fail which was repaired for $2300 USD and they said my motor mounts are leaking which will be $3700 USD to replace. The moonroof shade got caught in the tracks and would be $3900 to repair but I'll live with it until I trade it in. Every part that failed was due to a design flaw and couldn't have been prevented by maintenance. I do have an independent mechanic in town, but he is swamped since the dealer's labor rate is $200 USD an hour so my options are limited. I had some issues with a Volvo I owned, but nowhere near as bad as this. I own a Lexus Rx and it's a dream to own and maintain. Buyer beware!
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2023, 08:17 PM   #97
allwheelsdriven
#onelesssubaru
Rep
Drives: 16 BSM X1 MSport

Just reached 130,000 miles in mine and back from another road trip cross the state. 35mpg and no issues.

Update: 141k now. One coil pack failed and my tech friend replaced it and all the plugs for $50 and cost of the parts. Changed to Falken Trailpeaks on 17's for offroading to trailheads.

Last edited by allwheelsdriven; 04-03-2024 at 02:25 PM..
Appreciate 2
RavenX111.50
pmc12325.50
      08-08-2023, 07:53 PM   #98
frlecube
Rep
Drives: BMW X1 F48 25i Xdrive 2018

2018 Xdrive 25i with just 40.000 Km - 8 speeds auto AISIN transmission failed.
Extremely expensive repair, crap. First and last BMW.
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2023, 04:02 AM   #99
Tally100
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW X1 18i Sport Petrol

2018 X1 Sport18i 51000 miles , 2 issues windscreen wiper pipe from the pump spilt and had to be replaced £140 and emergency sos battery £150 both replaced by local BMW indie. I have BMW extended warranty for unexpected expensive problems.
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2023, 07:05 PM   #100
oliviahh
Rep
Drives: BMW X1 MSport

2018 BMW X1 Msport - bought as CPO coming off a lease. I have put 70K+ miles on my since owning and my mileage is currently at 92,000 miles. No problems. Just been following the standard BMW service schedule - oil changes, etc. have change braked pads twice which are covered under my maintenance warranty which was purchased to last through 125K. Hoping to continue to have this car past 125K with no major issues. So far it's been a great little SUV! I've driven it cross-country now twice (between WA & NY) and about to do a 3rd cross country drive.
Appreciate 1
pmc12325.50
      08-29-2023, 12:26 PM   #101
lftodd2000
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X1

I had a 2012 X1 which I had to get rid of due to ULEZ. Was an amazing car that had no issues whatsoever. Now have a 2019 X1 that I've had for 8 months, 26k on the clock, and so far so good.
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2023, 02:13 AM   #102
Jorix
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by frlecube View Post
2018 Xdrive 25i with just 40.000 Km - 8 speeds auto AISIN transmission failed.
Extremely expensive repair, crap. First and last BMW.
Is this the old gearbox with the lever, or the newer with the joystick?
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2023, 02:37 AM   #103
ackerman328
Rep
Drives: 330Ci e46 & X1 20i f48

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jorix View Post
Is this the old gearbox with the lever, or the newer with the joystick?
The gearbox is the same in both cases. BMW uses 2 different gearboxes for the X1 F48: the Aisin with 8 gears, and the Getrag DCT with 7 gears. Most X1 have the Aisin (no matter if pre or post restyling), the Getrag is only on the models with lower torque.
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2023, 02:47 AM   #104
Jorix
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ackerman328 View Post
The gearbox is the same in both cases. BMW uses 2 different gearboxes for the X1 F48: the Aisin with 8 gears, and the Getrag DCT with 7 gears. Most X1 have the Aisin (no matter if pre or post restyling), the Getrag is only on the models with lower torque.
Yes but there are 2 versions of the Aisin gearbox - GA8F22AW and GA8G45AW I think. Around the end of 2018 they start putting a newer version with a different lever and some new functionalities (like reading data from the satnav and andujsting gears according to it)
Appreciate 1
srh0074.50
      09-23-2023, 10:00 PM   #105
RavenX1
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by allwheelsdriven View Post
Just reached 130,000 miles in mine and back from another road trip cross the state. 35mpg and no issues.
That is so impressive! I hope mine will make it that far! What year is yours? I hate hearing all these horror stories about other X1s having problems
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2023, 06:58 AM   #106
markthespark63
Registered
Rep
Drives: x1 1.8D M sport Xdrive 2018

2018 1.8D M sport Auto, 58k miles, excellent car but has just started to have EGR / gearbox problems (drivetrain errors and jumping through gears when at low speed- looks like the BMW Insured warranty I took out may be a good investment!
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2023, 12:07 PM   #107
allwheelsdriven
#onelesssubaru
Rep
Drives: 16 BSM X1 MSport

Quote:
Originally Posted by RavenX1 View Post
That is so impressive! I hope mine will make it that far! What year is yours? I hate hearing all these horror stories about other X1s having problems
Mine is a 2016. Just back from a roadtrip to Banff. I had my dealer tech friend look it over before we set out. He replaced all the gear oils (diffs and transmission) as a precaution as they were due.
Appreciate 1
RavenX111.50
      10-10-2023, 09:07 AM   #108
markthespark63
Registered
Rep
Drives: x1 1.8D M sport Xdrive 2018

Update - 8 speed Auto gearbox replaced at 58k miles due to intermittent drive train error coming up and jerking at about 15mph, £8k at main dealer, only cost to me the £100 excess as I had been paying out for the BMW Insured warranty. Not good enough and from looking at this forum seems a far too common problem. Dealer had a new box in it within 48 hours!
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2023, 07:47 PM   #109
limsheng
Private
Rep

Garage List
2016 BMW X1  [9.00]
2016 sDrive 18 M sport. 107,000km. Maybe I can start a milestone from here. After owned it for a month, decided not to let bmw center service my car. Went for a check in my friends workshop and started my maintenance jobs.
Engine oil, brake fluids, transmission fluid. Weather here is all year hot and humid so transmission oil cooler prone to leak, change it as preventive measures.
Engine mount going to change soon.
Oil filter housing would be the next to change before things go bad.
Some caution in mind that he kept repeating was monitor the coolant level. Be it a crack on reservoir, leak on pipes will lead to turbo overheat and that means wastegate flap bent. There goes the turbo.
I’m wondering since there are so many closed flap covers on front bumpers why not just channel some air in the engine compartment?
Got the run flat tyres on, ride is rough. Due to change probably next year. Before that have to replace all 4 shocks. Looking for some aftermarket and found Koni seems like a good choice?
Sounds fun to go through all these after made payment for a 2016 car lol.
I guess the infotainment stereo upgrades on my base audio have to wait.
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2024, 08:45 PM   #110
wittyet
Registered
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmpaskey View Post
The moonroof shade got caught in the tracks and would be $3900 to repair
Same problem with our moonroof shade, and I just rippe the whole thing off last year and sent the empty frame to the back. Now I have a good view over my head and I can open the sunroof as I want without open the shade first.

I had a broken front coil at 50000ish km and last year a broken rear coil. the car has 60100 km on it, and now the CEL is on for fule tank valve replacement. I will probabaly get it done next week. The rear wheel hubs start to make noise, so I need to change them this year as well.
Appreciate 0