BMW
X1 / X2
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW X1 (F48) and X2 (F39) Forums General BMW X2 Forum (F39) Adaptive headlights?

01-28-2021, 05:02 PM   #1
Glen e
Retired from BMWNA
Rep
Drives: ‘21 X2 m35i

Adaptive headlights?

I’m just full of questions today… But now that I have about 800 miles on the car from a couple long trips I’d like to get some opinions. I don’t really understand the adaptive headlighting (hi-beam assistant) .....It’s obviously something you use on the interstate, esp dark ones at night, right? Because when I use it in neighborhoods, suburbs and partial urban situations, it’s constantly shifting back-and-forth; highs to lows, and back and forth....… Do I have this right?
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2021, 11:40 AM   #2
rice_rocket88
Major
No_Country
Rep
Drives: E60 F48 F39

It senses oncoming cars and flips high beams on/off. Otherwise the adaptive lighting turns your headlights at low speeds and on bigger hills and dips to keep the lighting level. I hardly have a chance to use the hi-beam assistant as almost all the highways are so heavily populated it doesn't even work. Maybe if you're on the road at the crack of dawn going into the boonies..
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2021, 11:50 AM   #3
Glen e
Retired from BMWNA
Rep
Drives: ‘21 X2 m35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by rice_rocket88 View Post
It senses oncoming cars and flips high beams on/off. Otherwise the adaptive lighting turns your headlights at low speeds and on bigger hills and dips to keep the lighting level. I hardly have a chance to use the hi-beam assistant as almost all the highways are so heavily populated it doesn't even work. Maybe if you're on the road at the crack of dawn going into the boonies..
Exactly, the only place I saw it work really effectively was halfway across Florida on alligator Alley when I was the only car out there at 2 AM… The rest of the time it was driving me crazy flicking on and off. So I will use it Thusly...
Appreciate 1
      01-29-2021, 06:02 PM   #4
//TMT
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X2 M35i, 2005 Volvo V50T5

It senses both headlight and taillights, and it ends up sensing lights on the side of the road that resemble them too. But I use it all the time. With LED headlights, I prefer the quick appearance of the extra illumination, without having to grab for the damn stalk. And I've never had oncoming traffic flash me, annoyed that I didn't do so a millisecond earlier.
Appreciate 0