BMW
X1 / X2
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW X1 (F48) and X2 (F39) Forums General BMW X1 Forum (F48) Inside brake lamp on tailgate

04-28-2020, 07:47 PM   #1
Xorbitman
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW X1

Inside brake lamp on tailgate

I have a 2018 BMW X1 with the front LED package and I noticed that the taillight configuration is different for the X1's equipped with front LEDs and those equipped with halogen lights. In the manual BMW states that there's no inside brake lamp, however when I look closeup in the rear of the tailgate I noticed that there's a bulb there but when I depress the brake pedal they don't illuminate (turn on) and when I turn on the headlights they don't light up either. So are these the "fog" taillights that are used in European models only....and I did notice here on the forum that there's a way to code these so that they go on even if you don't have the light switch. So is this basically just not active or is does it serve another function such as an extra light if the regular one burns out like a redundant system? Why would BMW put a light bulb there if it's of no use? Just to save costs to use similar taillight assemblies from one region or country to another?
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2020, 11:15 PM   #2
X1604M
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2018, F48 28i

Garage List
2018 BMW X1 F48  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xorbitman View Post
I have a 2018 BMW X1 with the front LED package and I noticed that the taillight configuration is different for the X1's equipped with front LEDs and those equipped with halogen lights. In the manual BMW states that there's no inside brake lamp, however when I look closeup in the rear of the tailgate I noticed that there's a bulb there but when I depress the brake pedal they don't illuminate (turn on) and when I turn on the headlights they don't light up either. So are these the "fog" taillights that are used in European models only....and I did notice here on the forum that there's a way to code these so that they go on even if you don't have the light switch. So is this basically just not active or is does it serve another function such as an extra light if the regular one burns out like a redundant system? Why would BMW put a light bulb there if it's of no use? Just to save costs to use similar taillight assemblies from one region or country to another?
Quote:
It's is still used as a brake light. If you brake hard it will light up. It works as a rear fog also. But u will need to pry the switch below the front fog light switch and grind or cut the little plastic. You also can code to light up together with outer brake light.
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2020, 01:54 PM   #3
Xorbitman
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW X1

Thanks! Why would you pry the plastic? Is there a switch "hidden" there?
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2020, 03:48 PM   #4
oakey46
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW 2 A/T 220i Lux Auto 1.5

In the UK, my 2018 X1, apart from the LED rear light display, only has the brake light bulb in the rear outer unit (not in the tailgate unit). The only non-LED bulbs in the tailgate part of the rear light fittings are the reversing light bulb (in upper area of unit) and the rear fog light bulb (in lower area of unit). The fittings will have to comply with vehicle legislation for your location so, personally, I wouldn't fiddle about with anything.
It's also worth pointing out that whilst the brake lights illuminate in normal braking, under heavy braking the brake lights will also flash to warn road users behind your vehicle that you are performing an emergency braking manoeuvre. And shortly before the vehicle comes to a standstill, the hazard warning lights are activated. This (it says in my UK version of the User Guide) can reduce the risk of a rear-end collision.
So, basically, if it ain't broke, why try to fix it!

Last edited by oakey46; 04-29-2020 at 03:59 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2020, 06:07 AM   #5
kavatski
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2023 X3 30iX

It works differently on North America-spec vehicles. The bulbs are the same, but as noted above, the inner red light is only used under heavy braking (it comes on steady, instead of having the outer light flash).

Rear fog lights are permitted but not mandated, so there’s no concern about adding this feature (our X1s come without a rear fog light button).
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2020, 08:35 AM   #6
X1604M
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2018, F48 28i

Garage List
2018 BMW X1 F48  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:
Yes. The working switch is there.
Appreciate 0