BMW
X1 / X2
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos Which motorcycle for a cross country ride?

09-30-2020, 11:47 AM   #23
ToddBlack88
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4MC 2010 F650GS

Are you staying on paved roads? Going to venture off road to more remote locations? Is this more a cruise sight seeing trip or adventure? Camping?
If going off paved roads, I would get a middleweight adventure tourer. Something like the new Yamaha teneré 700. Light enough to pick up if you drop it, and heavy enough loaded with you and your stuff to not be worried about crosswinds.
I rode with a guy running a gs1200 off road, and we had to pull everything off it for both of us to lift it up if it was dropped. Loaded with gear it was 900lbs.

Whatever you choose, enjoy yourself and ride safe. There is nothing like a long distance ride. Greatest feeling ever.
      09-30-2020, 12:29 PM   #24
to_riffic
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: rwd

I have a 750GS but for a long trip like that and if you're going to hit anything beyond hard roads, I'd consider a 850GS for some more suspension travel w/o breaking the bank on a 1200

Appreciate 0
      09-30-2020, 02:09 PM   #25
overcoil
Major General
Rep
Drives: M235i 6spd

Quote:
Originally Posted by to_riffic View Post
I have a 750GS but for a long trip like that and if you're going to hit anything beyond hard roads, I'd consider a 850GS for some more suspension travel w/o breaking the bank on a 1200
Think they are introducing the new 2021 R----GS Adventure today.
I called a local dealer, they're one R1250GS Adventure with 6% sales tax and tags, document fee - an amount I was fine with). they wanted approx $26,500.00

I need some responses on how much and if the big Adventure gets discounted. The cycle forums Ive found so far don't have the type of info the car forums have. Didn't want to ask my bike owning friends - wanted to be a surprise.

The 850GS I'm researching and have been keeping and eye on for a few years.
My thoughts have been BMW inline six and boxer engines are the way to go. If I go with a inline or V twin I need to really evaluate.
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2020, 02:45 PM   #26
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: The E90 + Z4 Coupe & Z3 R'ster

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottSinger View Post
I called a local dealer, they're one R1250GS Adventure with 6% sales tax and tags, document fee - an amount I was fine with). they wanted approx $26,500.00

I need some responses on how much and if the big Adventure gets discounted. The cycle forums Ive found so far don't have the type of info the car forums have. Didn't want to ask my bike owning friends - wanted to be a surprise.

My thoughts have been BMW inline six and boxer engines are the way to go. If I go with a inline or V twin I need to really evaluate.
I've never ridden a BMW boxer that didn't annoyingly shake like a small outboard boat motor. The K1600 I'd bet would be smooth as a BMW car engine. But having a Honda F6, you can't beat the smoothness of a flat six and the low center of gravity. I'd look hard at a Goldwing.
Appreciate 1
overcoil3068.50
      09-30-2020, 06:05 PM   #27
to_riffic
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:

Nice. Those 1250GS are massive. Just getting it upright is challenging. I've had sub 4-500lb bikes, so I know I'd never fully use the capabilities of a 1250GS but for a road trip, more power to you, I think that's awesome. I wanted to take my 750GS up to Big Sur next month, fingers crossed I have the time for it.

Appreciate 1
overcoil3068.50
      09-30-2020, 08:15 PM   #28
Housekeeping
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW M5

Ducati Diavel. So smooth, so comfortable. Try one.
Appreciate 1
overcoil3068.50
      09-30-2020, 08:29 PM   #29
BMWCCA1
BMW Owner Since 1971
Rep
Drives: 1964 700 Sport Cabriolet

Garage List
2013 BMW 128i  [10.00]
Quote:
I'm a little guy didn't really want a 800 pound Harley.
You may not want a GS Adventure, either. Have you even sat on one yet? That's a very tall bike. How tall are you, or what's your inseam? Perhaps a "normal" GS would work better? A GS is a great bike but unless you're going off-road or on really back roads, more fairing coverage on a sport-touring bike might be a better choice.

I've ridden BMWs since 1971 and have gone cross-country several times on bikes as small as a naked R50/5. My favorite is an R100CS and the bikini fairing seems to be enough for me, other than in dead of winter. Currently my newest BMW is an R1150RS though I've also owned a K1100RS. My '78 R100RS purchased new in November of 1977 had a wonderful fairing once my back got used to the short bars, but it got to where I just couldn't find gas it could run on. The best memories of it have me missing it often.
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2020, 09:12 PM   #30
overcoil
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWCCA1 View Post
You may not want a GS Adventure, either. Have you even sat on one yet? That's a very tall bike. How tall are you, or what's your inseam? Perhaps a "normal" GS would work better? A GS is a great bike but unless you're going off-road or on really back roads, more fairing coverage on a sport-touring bike might be a better choice.

I've ridden BMWs since 1971 and have gone cross-country several times on bikes as small as a naked R50/5. My favorite is an R100CS and the bikini fairing seems to be enough for me, other than in dead of winter. Currently my newest BMW is an R1150RS though I've also owned a K1100RS. My '78 R100RS purchased new in November of 1977 had a wonderful fairing once my back got used to the short bars, but it got to where I just couldn't find gas it could run on. The best memories of it have me missing it often.
You and to_riffic and Efthreeoh and the great other post...this is the type of conversation I need to dial into what bike to concentrate for research.

1250 Adventure has optional shorter seat and suspension. But today contacted a dealer on 2020 model and wasn't getting any feel on a discount. 1250gs is off bmw website because a new 2021 is about to get announced.
The 1250 may be too tall, I know all the techniques to deal with the height but need to play with one to find out if that's what I want to play with.

I'm also researching a RnineT for the trip. and everything in between.

My window for getting the bike and shaking it down then getting started is closing in...appreciate the keen input form all.
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2020, 09:21 PM   #31
GTBrandon
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 13' M3 Competition

Quote:
what new bike would you use to go from Maryland to Arizona and back.

BMW Adventure bike could be priced in the mid-twenties.

Ducati multi-Strada could be priced high-teens.

I'm a little guy didn't really want a 800 pound Harley.

Curious your choice and how you would spend your money.
I just did this trip in June. Went from VA to CA and then back, 8500 miles over 3 weeks. Really depends how young at heart you are, and what you’re looking to get out of it.

I started on an 04’ Yamaha Warrior which made me so happy to ride, no windscreen and my legs stretched out. That clutch went out in CO and I ended up buying a 13’ Triumph Tiger to finish the trip. Is the ADV more comfortable on a roadtrip? Absolutely. But does it give you the same satisfaction, In my
opinion no. It’s too easy, and too boring. To me motorcycles are about character, and doing a cross country trip like this is about the pure joy you have while riding. Don’t get me wrong I still sent it on the PCH while the hard bags were hanging off the side of the Tiger, but it’s not the same as a bike with some character behind it.

Comfort for eating up miles, ADV, but sometimes that’s not the important part. My buddy who came with was on a Triumph Speed Triple, so really you can do this on any bike and have a blast. I’d just think about exactly what you want out of the journey.
Appreciate 1
overcoil3068.50
      10-01-2020, 01:40 AM   #32
BMWCCA1
BMW Owner Since 1971
Rep

Garage List
2013 BMW 128i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Efthreeoh View Post
I've never ridden a BMW boxer that didn't annoyingly shake like a small outboard boat motor. The K1600 I'd bet would be smooth as a BMW car engine. But having a Honda F6, you can't beat the smoothness of a flat six and the low center of gravity. I'd look hard at a Goldwing.
Having ridden BMW boxers of nearly every generation, I have no idea what poorly maintained examples you've ridden to leave you with that impression. Is a two-cylinder ever as smooth as an a flat or inline 6? No. But do people who love mechanical objects complain about a Porsche boxer engine being rough or do they love the involvement of the engine as part of the enjoyment of the ride? The BMW boxer-twin design hasn't lasted nearly 100-years because it's a bad design, or because millions of riders don't love them. In reality, the original inline-4-cylinder BMWs had more complaints of buzzing and making your legs go to sleep than the boxers.

I had a Valkyrie in my possession years ago and that boxer 6-cylinder was an impressive motor. But the bike was over 200-pound heavier than my 1000cc BMW boxer twin. Would I prefer a Cadillac on an all-highway trip to any o my BMW cars? Hell no. Are they smoother and quieter than my BMWs? Hell, yes. Would they engage me in the way a BMW does? Would they be as much fun once you hit the blue roads? Hell no! Different strokes for different folks.

Have you had a chance to ride any of the bikes you're considering for your trip? Either Ken at Dulles BMW or Bob at Bob's BMW would be happy to have you throw a leg over a saddle, but if you want the best BMW dealer to go with the best motorcycle, see Jeff Massey at Morton's in Fredericksburg.
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2020, 02:58 AM   #33
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Having ridden BMW boxers of nearly every generation, I have no idea what poorly maintained examples you've ridden to leave you with that impression. Is a two-cylinder ever as smooth as an a flat or inline 6? No. But do people who love mechanical objects complain about a Porsche boxer engine being rough or do they love the involvement of the engine as part of the enjoyment of the ride? The BMW boxer-twin design hasn't lasted nearly 100-years because it's a bad design, or because millions of riders don't love them. In reality, the original inline-4-cylinder BMWs had more complaints of buzzing and making your legs go to sleep than the boxers.

I had a Valkyrie in my possession years ago and that boxer 6-cylinder was an impressive motor. But the bike was over 200-pound heavier than my 1000cc BMW boxer twin. Would I prefer a Cadillac on an all-highway trip to any o my BMW cars? Hell no. Are they smoother and quieter than my BMWs? Hell, yes. Would they engage me in the way a BMW does? Would they be as much fun once you hit the blue roads? Hell no! Different strokes for different folks.

Have you had a chance to ride any of the bikes you're considering for your trip? Either Ken at Dulles BMW or Bob at Bob's BMW would be happy to have you throw a leg over a saddle, but if you want the best BMW dealer to go with the best motorcycle, see Jeff Massey at Morton's in Fredericksburg.
I'm not the OP trying to figure out what bike to get.

But as far as BMW boxers go, take no offense, the BMW design is inherent for strange torque induced chassis twist. The boxer configuration is supposed to have good primary balance, but I've never witnessed it. Perhaps the secondary harmonics is at issue. The "poorly maintained" examples I tested were new and used examples from Bob's BMWs and Mortons. I worked in Annapolis Junction for nearly a decade and frequented his store quite often. These days Fredericksburg is closer to home. I also tried the K75 when it came out, but it couldn't get me off my Seca 650. And yeah, I love BMW cars as much as you do. I wanted to love the BMW boxer, but other manufacturers designs were better. I've just never found the magic.

As far as the Valkyrie Interstate goes, its part sport bike, part dressed tourer, and had over 100 HP and 100 pound-foot torque 20 years ago when other bikes in its class had 50 to 75 HP (maybe the Venture had more). The engine is so versatile you can short shift it like a big twin or redline it like a multi in-line 4, it doesn't care. The Valk Interstate absolutely laughed at Harley's FLCH, and probably still does; no HOGs have tried to chase me in awhile .

Last edited by Efthreeoh; 10-01-2020 at 05:45 AM..
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2020, 07:22 AM   #34
BMWCCA1
BMW Owner Since 1971
Rep

Garage List
2013 BMW 128i  [10.00]
Quote:
I'm not the OP trying to figure out what bike to get.
I understand that. The first graphs were for you and the suggestions for riding at stores was for the OP. I don't recall seeing where he mentioned riding anything yet. But that may not be the case.
Appreciate 1
Efthreeoh16946.00
      10-01-2020, 07:41 AM   #35
Shiza
Captain
Rep
Drives: M3, X5, Ram 2500, Wrangler

Also the recommend the Diavel but i would go with the X Diavel. The most comfortable Ducati got even better when they moved the pegs up front like a Harley.
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2020, 08:24 AM   #36
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I understand that. The first graphs were for you and the suggestions for riding at stores was for the OP. I don't recall seeing where he mentioned riding anything yet. But that may not be the case.
It would be nice to know the OP's dimensions as you asked earlier, and what his riding experience and riding shape is. We could help better with his questions. A 800 pound motorcycle will be more comfortable than a 400 pound motorcycle when hours are spent in the saddle and wind blast are factors.
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2020, 10:16 AM   #37
overcoil
Major General
Rep

Quote:
It would be nice to know the OP's dimensions as you asked earlier, and what his riding experience and riding shape is. We could help better with his questions. A 800 pound motorcycle will be more comfortable than a 400 pound motorcycle when hours are spent in the saddle and wind blast are factors.
I’m 5’9, 170 pounds, run 10 miles easy, deadlift 280 one rep max, squat 225 10 reps,

Haven’t ridden in a few years have had license for 13 years before that rebuilt a bike and ride non licensed in the neighborhood hills - streets.

Like a 5’5” Honda test rider on the largest Africa Twin I know how to one leg, walk the pegs onto the bike and have the kickstand down for a stop and walk off the pegs - but I need to practice.

The 800 pound versus 400 pound bike, if that were the case everyone would be riding 800 pound bikes, valid point but lite bikes definitely have their advantages.

I wanted to learn everything I can about the bmw 1250 gs will compare to 850 gs.

Researching Ducati multi strada.

My research into Japanese bikes have me thinking they’re a bit dated except for super sport’s and gold wings
Appreciate 1
Efthreeoh16946.00
      10-01-2020, 01:55 PM   #38
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I’m 5’9, 170 pounds, run 10 miles easy, deadlift 280 one rep max, squat 225 10 reps,

Haven’t ridden in a few years have had license for 13 years before that rebuilt a bike and ride non licensed in the neighborhood hills - streets.

Like a 5’5” Honda test rider on the largest Africa Twin I know how to one leg, walk the pegs onto the bike and have the kickstand down for a stop and walk off the pegs - but I need to practice.

The 800 pound versus 400 pound bike, if that were the case everyone would be riding 800 pound bikes, valid point but lite bikes definitely have their advantages.

I wanted to learn everything I can about the bmw 1250 gs will compare to 850 gs.

Researching Ducati multi strada.

My research into Japanese bikes have me thinking they’re a bit dated except for super sport’s and gold wings
Sounds like you are in great health! Riding shape, while helped by physical conditioning, is more related to how much time you spend riding. You'll be in great riding shape by the time you get back...

Good luck with the choice. The Japanese are never outdated, they pretty much lead M/C tech. My 21 year old Valk can run with any modern full dress tourer and still eat most of their lunches.
Appreciate 1
overcoil3068.50
      10-01-2020, 02:11 PM   #39
to_riffic
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

I'm same height, 180; can't say if I can run 10 miles though, it's been years since I did that. lol.

Not against a 1250GS, but that weight....I know people will say you aren't going to feel it when it's up and running, but if you're caught on a bank or something where you're not in the most comfortable position, it's going to be a struggle. I remember nearly dropping my Ducati V4 S when I mistakingly didn't put the peg fully down and it went back up and nearly dismounted. It's a 430ish pound bike, and I held onto it from tipping over, anymore weight and i would never have saved the drop.

Appreciate 1
overcoil3068.50
      10-01-2020, 02:39 PM   #40
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by to_riffic View Post
I'm same height, 180; can't say if I can run 10 miles though, it's been years since I did that. lol.

Not against a 1250GS, but that weight....I know people will say you aren't going to feel it when it's up and running, but if you're caught on a bank or something where you're not in the most comfortable position, it's going to be a struggle. I remember nearly dropping my Ducati V4 S when I mistakingly didn't put the peg fully down and it went back up and nearly dismounted. It's a 430ish pound bike, and I held onto it from tipping over, anymore weight and i would never have saved the drop.
My CBR flipped me over on to my back. It was somewhere in Canada on a wet and cold day. My foot slipped off the the center stand. I was still in my helmet and rainsuit. My wife was in the hotel, on the balcony watching the event unfold.

I was leaning way back trying to save it, but as in arm wrestling, once the balance tips... There I was ass over head, catapulted over the big scoot, landed flat on my back. After putting the bike back up on its wheels, then on the center stand, I went inside for a beer. As I stepped on to the balcony to greet my warm and comfortable wife, she said, "Looks like that hurt."

Lol - bitch

Last edited by Efthreeoh; 10-02-2020 at 05:37 AM..
Appreciate 2
overcoil3068.50
to_riffic3010.00
      10-02-2020, 10:30 AM   #41
kb2wji
Private
Rep
Drives: '11 128 convertible 6MT

I had a Kawi Concours - that would be my pick. A few mods to the windscreen, grips and seat and you'll have a cross country touring bike that's still a ton of fun to ride.

Honda ST would be my other choice. The weight feels very low down - it's a super easy bike to handle and ride.
Appreciate 1
Efthreeoh16946.00
      10-02-2020, 11:44 AM   #42
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep

So I went digging around BMW Motorrad...

The K1600B looks really cool. Definitely a cross country tourer, low seat height, but would be a fun cruiser after the trip. $23,200. Slightly heavy.

Last edited by Efthreeoh; 10-02-2020 at 12:11 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2020, 02:16 PM   #43
overcoil
Major General
Rep

Quote:

Are these things strictly MSRP ?
I wasn't in military and don't have a BMW car club membership. I do have my Motorcycle safety course and I think they said I could get some benefits form that.

I'm under the impression from the dealer these 1250 Adventure's are like Ferrari's. people place deposits no significant discounts.
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2020, 08:33 PM   #44
BMWCCA1
BMW Owner Since 1971
Rep

Garage List
2013 BMW 128i  [10.00]
I doubt anything in this day and age is sold at MSRP. Some models are harder to get than others but if it's in-stock, it should be somewhat negotiable. Keep in mind that profit margin on these can be quite slim. It never hurts to ask. They also often have aggressive financing deals.

BMW has programs that offer BMW CCA members $500 of an R-bike.
BMW MOA members can also get this offer.
Same applies for "active" USAA members but you had to have printed your certificate by 9/30/2020.
MSF course is only good for course taken within 90-days prior to bike purchase.
Appreciate 1
overcoil3068.50