BMW
X1 / X2
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW X1 (F48) and X2 (F39) Forums General BMW X1 Forum (F48) Bimmercode Adventure

04-10-2019, 03:12 AM   #133
MJE60
Captain
England
Rep
Drives: BMW G01 xDrive M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJDK View Post
Hi Mj60,

Thanks for your reply.
I have seen your posts on different forums, but as a “novice” I get easily confused when it’s not a “clear step by step manual”. Therefore, I would like to hear if you have done an easy step by step guide of how to remove the old screen, replace it with the new, how to do the coding, which codes to use and how to upgrade the controller?
Furthermore, I would like to hear if you could assist in which screen that would match the current system in my car. I see multiple option on eBay, but not sure which 8.8” will work?
Lastly, I’m told as many others by bmw that apple CarPlay is not an option despite having 6UN, 6NW, 6WD and 6AK because 6CP was not installed when it left the factory. Do you have a solution to this?

Thanks a lot, really appreciate your expertise and help

Cheers
Hi
You have a lot of questions. Option 6CP which is CarPlay preparation first became available in F48 ordering guide in approx July 2016 (may vary between markets), At a later date Apple removed “lifetime” CarPlay to a subscription service. Some cars without 6CP can still get OTA subscription if they have full set of options. The only way to tell 100% is to check BMW connected drive site for your car. If you have 6UN , you will have smaller 6.5” screen and BMW will NOT provide OTA (they say it needs bigger screen). Fitting 8.8” screen will not help because the connected drive store checks yout factory VIN and unless you can persuade BMW to update this then it will not offer CarPlay subscription.
Anyone who wants to check 100% should visit connected drive for your country? Go to site, enter you VIN, if it does not offer you a OTA CarPlay subscription then You cannot have it.

With regard to which screen, you should order, it will depend on the build date of your car and whether your 6.5” screen is a touch display or not. You can check part numbers using real oem site, enter VIN and search (remember there can be different parts for US and EU cars also you should choose latest part which was available for when you car was built unless it says an earlier part can be retrospectively fitted). Link to realoem site:

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/partxref?q=65829490069

If you really become stuck and/or wish me to double check for you then you can send me Private Message with you car VIN. The main mistake people make is to order non-touch when they want touch screen, also I have seen sellers say screen is touch when part number shows it is not!

To upgrade your controller (presumably from touch to non touch. note a touch screen does not also need a touch controller to work, you can just leave it ), I have also posted details on separate threads on forum, you will need to get correct part number (use real oem), you will need touch controller, touch control module (this is language specific so be very careful) and a y-splitter adapter cable to fit the module next to the touch controller in the centre console (it is fitted near door at the factory). Again, if you wish me to check, I will also need your VIN and if you are in Russia tell me also - module is different).
I got my F48 y-splitter adapter cable from eBay, this is type and style

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/For-BMW-F...f7281623e27640

When you have parts, we can cover step by step fitting. I have not posted a guide of physical fitting but would be prepared to do so. Finally, replying takes time, and there is an appreciate button at bottom of each post (it is faint) , it is there to tell person you appreciate the help they have/are giving.

Last edited by MJE60; 08-09-2019 at 11:13 AM..
Appreciate 5
iceman7117.00
NJDK19.50
      04-12-2019, 06:07 PM   #134
alfran
Rep
Drives: X1 F48

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJE60 View Post
Hello
With issue one you can reduce difference between radio and other input volume levels. If you are using a phone and Bluetooth, set your phone volume level to maximum. If you are using a usb stick then you can record or remix your digital music tracks to a higher volume level using audacity or other mixing tools.

With issue 2, yes you can code the “restart” audio volume level to a different volume, if I remember correctly the default code is 25% and it can be increased. The quickest and easiest way to do it is to is to use bimmercode app in ordinary easy mode, in HU NBT section there is option - Change maximum volume at start up” - select and choose level you want. I cannot comment on whether you will damage HU if you set it too high, it is your responsibility. If you want to use bimmercode I recommend iOS version rather than android and I recommend “ vgate pro bluetooth obd dongle” - read my bimmercode two top tips thread to reduce risk of mistakes/problems.
To make changes using E-sys, I have not done this coding myself so have not put details in my cheat sheet but if you search, say, “bmw coding audio volume level” you will find posts and there will be fdl coding details. I have seen details in either bimmerpost or bimmerfest coding forums, just search and you will find. It should be just one coding line in HU ecu, changing hex value from 25 to a higher figure .
Tanks MJE60!
Regarding the different volume...my bet volume in iPhone is set to max and I tried to increase mp3 volume using audacity, but in the firs case the volume is noticeably lower than fm. For mp3 is not possible to set volume to a fm volume due to the clipping.
Btw, I’m disappointed regarding this multimedia system.

Thanks for your help!
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2019, 08:22 PM   #135
wcs2229
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW X1 F48 xDrive28i

You can give MP3Gain a try, which works differently than Audacity:

http://mp3gain.sourceforge.net/faq.php

I use MP3Gain to normalize volume across songs. I haven't tried it, but there a "Apply Max Noclip Gain" feature. I don't listen to FM ... too much repetition and commercials.
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2019, 04:04 PM   #136
wcs2229
First Lieutenant
Rep

Unlock doors automatically

I want to have the car doors unlocked with I turn the ignition off.

I have coded the Front Electronic Module/Car Access System -> Unlock doors automatically to Active, but the doors still do not unlock. Does anyone know how to do this?

Name:  Screenshot_20190414-150752.jpg
Views: 2279
Size:  134.6 KB
Appreciate 1
Takabo49.00
      04-14-2019, 06:42 PM   #137
oakey46
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW 2 A/T 220i Lux Auto 1.5

I'm a blank when it comes to programming, but is it something you have to select in Vehicle Settings on the iDrive screen? I'm sure that's what Ido on my X1 and I don't have Bimmercode etc., so I readily stand to be corrected.
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2019, 03:03 AM   #138
MJE60
Captain
England
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by oakey46 View Post
I'm a blank when it comes to programming, but is it something you have to select in Vehicle Settings on the iDrive screen? I'm sure that's what Ido on my X1 and I don't have Bimmercode etc., so I readily stand to be corrected.
You are 50% correct because “coding” is not actually “programming” it is selecting hidden ecu options. Some Ecu options are available through the idrive menu , examples include door locking.

Many more / most Ecu settings (and therefore) options are not available through the iDrive but can be accessed using tools such as an obd2 reader and software app (like Bimmercode or Carly).

These “hidden” or “coding” options fall into many categories,

- some for example are expensive options which have to be paid for at time of order (such as comfort access), “high beam assist” or lane departure warning but can be enabled through “coding” [note hardware may also be required],

- some are national/ market variations either enabled or disabled due to regulations, as an example boot/trunk closure using key fob, safety warning every time car is started, or stop/start mode which can be set to remember last setting selected by driver (An option I have enabled),

-some are functionality which can be selected or adjusted which BMW have chosen not to enable on the F48’s or place on the iDrive menu, examples include exact heated seat temperature by setting or distance you have to drive before reversing sensor image disappears from iDrive screen (I changed mine from default 50 metres to 10 metres)

- hardware installation, many Ecu settings vary by hardware and cannot be adjusted through the iDrive. I needed to “code” the settings when I self-installed the larger bmw oem 8.8” display screen and touch controller into my car and will do the same when I install a reversing camera and “High Beam assist”. Without coding I would have had to purchase the parts and have them fitted by BMW. For the 8.8” display screen, this would have cost be approx Ł2.500 rather than the Ł500 d.i.y cost.

Hope my explanation helps, the picture in wcs2229 post shows screen image of an app used for “coding”. The total cost for buying obd2 dongle and app in U.K is about Ł60. A more advanced form of coding exists using genuine BMW configuration software ( E-sys) where you can change your car’s factory build options (I retrofitted parts and changed by car from 6UNA “Nav” to 6UPA “Nav plus”. If you would like examples of people coding then there are many YouTube videos (many are poor but give an idea).

Final point is that some people get into trouble by making incorrect coding changes they do not understand or using tools incorrectly and corrupting the software, as an extreme example, needing a complete dealer software rebuild and possibly voiding their warranty!

Last edited by MJE60; 04-15-2019 at 08:13 AM..
Appreciate 5
iceman7117.00
oakey46157.50
rameer5.00
      04-15-2019, 08:11 AM   #139
oakey46
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW 2 A/T 220i Lux Auto 1.5

Thanks MJE60. That's great and very useful help.
Appreciate 2
MJE60678.00
wcs2229170.50
      04-15-2019, 09:43 AM   #140
iceman7
Second Lieutenant
Greece
Rep
Drives: X1 LCI sDrive 18i

How could high beam assist or lane departure warning be coded with Bimmercode? What extra hardware is needed?

Have you tried Enhanced BT with Bimmercode? What HU is necessary?
One of our colleagues in Greece has enabled it using esys.

As for the option to set the distance you have to drive before reversing sensor image disappears from iDrive screen do you remember where exactly to find it? Is it in the normal mode of the HU section ?

As for the touch controller are you sure you can use it properly only by using bimmercode ? I reckon this requires more than the FDL coding that Bimmercode provides!
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2019, 09:48 AM   #141
iceman7
Second Lieutenant
Greece
Rep

Further to what Stefan has answered you I do confirm that the iOS version of the app keeps backups form different cars.
I had to additionally code the HU of a friend's car on Saturday and pressing the backup button my 2 previous readings back from February were available!
Appreciate 1
MJE60678.00
      04-15-2019, 11:01 AM   #142
MJE60
Captain
England
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by iceman7 View Post
How could high beam assist or lane departure warning be coded with Bimmercode? What extra hardware is needed?

Have you tried Enhanced BT with Bimmercode? What HU is necessary?
One of our colleagues in Greece has enabled it using esys.

As for the option to set the distance you have to drive before reversing sensor image disappears from iDrive screen do you remember where exactly to find it? Is it in the normal mode of the HU section ?

As for the touch controller are you sure you can use it properly only by using bimmercode ? I reckon this requires more than the FDL coding that Bimmercode provides!
Hi Iceman7
For lane departure warning, a steering wheel vibration generator is required as a minimum but possibly also a different airbag module (it is the airbag module which provides the power for the vibration generator) for the high beam assist a replacement steering wheel switch is required (I bought one recently and am waiting to fit) The left side stalk has two end buttons of which one switches high beam assist on and off. I am happy to provide coding for LDW if required, coding for high beam assistant is
BDC FLA-VERBAUT nicht ——> aktiv
HU HIGH_BEAM_ASSISTANT nicht ——> aktiv
KAFAS FLA_ON_OFF nicht —->aktiv

I need to double check one other setting which may differ dependent on software version
BDC FLA_AUTO_AKTIV nicht —> automatisch. Or A&B (these are switch positions from which it will work either in setting AM(auto) or also in on position. I have not yet done a full search of my car HU for all settings, some people say it works with just first code change and replacement switch.

With regard to WLAN , I have not tried (you will need a Fakra antenna into back of HU) , some claim success but others say it did not work using settings. I can let you have coding also PM me if required.

Sorry, just reread and saw you asked about enhanced BT. I have not tried coding because I appear to have it from factory (I can play music from phone via Bluetooth and connect more than one device) do not need wireless charging.) I believe it can be coded, I understand that factory option has second passenger microphone fitted .

Last edited by MJE60; 04-15-2019 at 11:11 AM..
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2019, 11:22 AM   #143
iceman7
Second Lieutenant
Greece
Rep

Thanks for the prompt answer!
I need the Enhanced BT for the office options.
I can already stream music using BT and connect more than one phones (even though I can only use one at a time), but seeing sms and emails I receive on screen or using 2 phones at time sounds interesting.
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2019, 11:56 AM   #144
MJE60
Captain
England
Rep

Quote:
I can already stream music using BT and connect more than one phones (even though I can only use one at a time), but seeing sms and emails I receive on screen or using 2 phones at time sounds interesting.
Have you checked connected drive, I thought you could enable emails and calendar in the settings but may require one of the OTA packages.

I will do some research.
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2019, 12:01 PM   #145
MJE60
Captain
England
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by wcs2229 View Post
I want to have the car doors unlocked with I turn the ignition off.

I have coded the Front Electronic Module/Car Access System -> Unlock doors automatically to Active, but the doors still do not unlock. Does anyone know how to do this?

Attachment 2031332
Hi
Check your iDrive settings first, there are a few options in menu.

Last edited by MJE60; 04-15-2019 at 01:23 PM..
Appreciate 2
wcs2229170.50
Takabo49.00
      04-15-2019, 12:56 PM   #146
nvb1001
Registered
Rep
Drives: X1

Garage List
2017 BMW X1  [0.00]
Quote:
Hi
Check your iDrive settings first, there a few options in menu.
Me too, the car doors is unlocked with I turn the ignition off
Appreciate 1
Takabo49.00
      04-15-2019, 01:41 PM   #147
landrumdh
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F48

Quote:
Hi
Check your iDrive settings first, there are a few options in menu.
Not in the older models, my 2016 does not have any settings in idrive to auto-unlock on park / power off. The newer years do.
Appreciate 2
Takabo49.00
rameer5.00
      04-15-2019, 02:10 PM   #148
MJE60
Captain
England
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by landrumdh View Post
Not in the older models, my 2016 does not have any settings in idrive to auto-unlock on park / power off. The newer years do.
O.k, in that case it is an easy menu option in Bimmercode, FEM or BDC modules, set “open doors automatically” to aktiv. The doors will then open as soon as the ignition is turned off.

If the coding does not work then as per my reply to wcs229, it is probably because you have a car with an iDrive menu option which needs changing.

Last edited by MJE60; 04-15-2019 at 04:56 PM..
Appreciate 1
Takabo49.00
      04-16-2019, 12:07 AM   #149
alfran
Rep
Drives: X1 F48

Quote:
You can give MP3Gain a try, which works differently than Audacity:

http://mp3gain.sourceforge.net/faq.php

I use MP3Gain to normalize volume across songs. I haven't tried it, but there a "Apply Max Noclip Gain" feature. I don't listen to FM ... too much repetition and commercials.
Thanks fo reply!
I tried a large number of free software (I tried to apply max no clip gain) to increase mp3 volume...the results are the same.....is not possible to have the same radio volume.

For my experience is better to save money and have the standard multimedia system....and after warranty expires but an Android system...

Last edited by alfran; 04-16-2019 at 03:36 AM..
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2019, 08:12 PM   #150
wcs2229
First Lieutenant
Rep

Thanks, oakey46 and MJE60,

I changed a setting in My Vehicle and now all the doors unlock.

Name:  IMG_20190415_154607178__1555463210_99.227.225.76.jpg
Views: 2011
Size:  38.7 KB

I reversed the coding which didn't work.
Appreciate 3
Takabo49.00
oakey46157.50
MJE60678.00
      04-17-2019, 12:15 AM   #151
Takabo
Private
Japan
Rep
Drives: G21 320d xDrive Touring MSport

Quote:
Thanks, oakey46 and MJE60,

I changed a setting in My Vehicle and now all the doors unlock.

Attachment 2032829

I reversed the coding which didn't work.

Hello.
I am also interested in unlocking, please would you share what settings you changed. Thank you.

Last edited by Takabo; 04-17-2019 at 04:37 AM..
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2019, 03:46 PM   #152
wcs2229
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Takabo View Post
Hello.
I am also interested in unlocking, please would you share what settings you changed. Thank you.
Hello Takabo,

The head unit and settings may be different depending on your options and depending on the market/country/region.

Here are the steps I used through iDrive on my X1:

Name:  IMG_20190417_144317976.jpg
Views: 2262
Size:  46.5 KB

Name:  IMG_20190417_144256504.jpg
Views: 2213
Size:  45.3 KB

Name:  IMG_20190417_144303846.jpg
Views: 2176
Size:  44.2 KB

Name:  IMG_20190415_154607178.jpg
Views: 2127
Size:  49.1 KB
Appreciate 1
Takabo49.00
      04-17-2019, 03:46 PM   #153
iceman7
Second Lieutenant
Greece
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Have you checked connected drive, I thought you could enable emails and calendar in the settings but may require one of the OTA packages.

I will do some research.
No connected services for us in Greece especially in older models with idrive 4.
Needs coding to have the office menu but then I am not sure if more than that can be done.
Anyway you really made me waiting with baited breath for your next project to "retrofit" the AutoHighBeam feature.
Are you sure that only the simple ActiveGuard camera is all that is needed in the existing spec of the car (ie before changing the lever and coding).
If so where did you find the lever and how can you install it?
Appreciate 1
MJE60678.00
      04-17-2019, 06:09 PM   #154
MJE60
Captain
England
Rep

Quote:
No connected services for us in Greece especially in older models with idrive 4.
Needs coding to have the office menu but then I am not sure if more than that can be done.
Anyway you really made me waiting with baited breath for your next project to "retrofit" the AutoHighBeam feature.
Are you sure that only the simple ActiveGuard camera is all that is needed in the existing spec of the car (ie before changing the lever and coding).
If so where did you find the lever and how can you install it?
Hi Iceman7
My vehicle has the full KAFAS(2) camera which, combined with switch and coding, Should enable “high beam assist”. I am sorry, I sometimes forget that there are differences in specification between markets and also that many F48 owners have the earlier Entrynav HU and not Entrynav2 HU (which were introduced in 07/2017). I cannot 100% confirm that the earlier “activeguard” camera supports “high beam assist” but I am fairly sure that it does. I have read a number of posts elsewhere where owners were retrofitting “high beam assist” with “activeguard (which I think was name for KAFAS1). Perhaps there are owners with 2016 or early 2017 (up to June) F48 who can confirm they have “high beam assist” fitted.

I will research and try to find the coding necessary to enable the email/office function, I have seen it but cannot remember exactly where.

Last edited by MJE60; 04-17-2019 at 06:16 PM..
Appreciate 1
iceman7117.00