BMW
X1 / X2
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW X1 (F48) and X2 (F39) Forums General BMW X1 Forum (F48) Business Navigation: BMW Apps (Spotify etc)

08-20-2018, 08:27 PM   #1
st0k3d
Rep
Drives: 2011 328I Xdrive

Business Navigation: BMW Apps (Spotify etc)

We just picked up our 2018 XDrive w/ Business navigation ($950). I was surprised it doesn't have the connectedDrive apps etc? Anyone know why? The people at the dealership couldn't answer and said to call corporate. We have the app to remotely turn on ventilation etc but no native Spotify integration etc.
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2018, 02:58 AM   #2
ttimbo
Major
Rep
Drives: F48 X1 25i AW; F20 M135i AW

Quote:
Originally Posted by st0k3d View Post
We just picked up our 2018 XDrive w/ Business navigation ($950). I was surprised it doesn't have the connectedDrive apps etc? Anyone know why? The people at the dealership couldn't answer and said to call corporate. We have the app to remotely turn on ventilation etc but no native Spotify integration etc.
Have you created a ConnectedDrive account? That's the first step.
Honestly, it drives me mad when a dealership delivered a new car and then pushes some delivery responsibilities onto the customer! Where's the customer service and experience?
Appreciate 1
JustChris17483.00
      08-21-2018, 05:39 AM   #3
st0k3d
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ttimbo View Post
Have you created a ConnectedDrive account? That's the first step.
Honestly, it drives me mad when a dealership delivered a new car and then pushes some delivery responsibilities onto the customer! Where's the customer service and experience?
Yes we have downloaded and installed ConnectedDrive. We are able to log in to see the car in the app, and see some of the functionality (turn on ventilation etc). Under the hub section you see the list of apps, Spotify Pandora etc.

I am going to try to call the BMW 'Genius' line after work today. From all of the research I have done we should have this functionality. It will play via regular Bluetooth but I want the ConnectedDrive functionality. The guy at the dealer was just like 'Well just use your phone to control it'... Come on man, but it was like 8:30 at night and they all wanted to go home.

The car was a loaner model, I wonder if the IDrive just needs a factory restore. There was like 8 phones in the IDrive when they were PDI'ing it with us they manually removed, and I think there is one in there that I cannot remove for some reason. I checked using our VIN that the software is up to date.

Ill take some screen shots later.
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2018, 05:52 PM   #4
ttimbo
Major
Rep

Rotten service, IMO...and I'd be having an animated conversation with the dealer, suggesting they reset iDrive and set it up for a new owner. FWIW, you will actually be using Spotify on your iPhone through ConnectedDrive, so it's just about as easy to simply do that from your phone through BT
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2018, 08:11 PM   #5
st0k3d
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ttimbo View Post
Rotten service, IMO...and I'd be having an animated conversation with the dealer, suggesting they reset iDrive and set it up for a new owner. FWIW, you will actually be using Spotify on your iPhone through ConnectedDrive, so it's just about as easy to simply do that from your phone through BT
Yep.

Spent some time on the phone with the 'Genius' line today. I got the weather, Yelp, etc working but no dice on Spotify.

When I go to Connected > Devices > Phone, the "Apps" option doesn't exist, just Telephone and Bluetooth. Additionally that other ghost phone won't remove. They advised it go back to dealer for an IDrive reset.
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2018, 08:40 PM   #6
mbr883
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW X1

Here's what I think you need to do. Go to the media player area. Press media one more time and Spotify should come up as an option. I enclosed a picture. I don't have premium Spotify so I can't confirm total functionality.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      08-21-2018, 09:51 PM   #7
st0k3d
Rep

Thanks guys. No idea what changed but I went back to car again and... I have Spotify and Pandora. And the apps option in the menu. Go figure... Now if I can just figure out the motion for opening the rear tail gate with my foot we are in business. I tried 50 times, no dice. However I did get it to open laying under the back looking for the sensor somehow...

Spotify works good, you can navigate through your library, playlists, Spotify radio etc all through the Idrive, no need to use the phone.

I have some LED low beam headlight bulbs and the OBD2 coding module coming Friday. If these work out well I might change all the exterior bulbs over to LED. Than I will call it good, it's the wife's car not mine.

Last edited by st0k3d; 08-21-2018 at 09:59 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2018, 10:54 PM   #8
ttimbo
Major
Rep

Quote:
Thanks guys. No idea what changed but I went back to car again and... I have Spotify and Pandora. And the apps option in the menu. Go figure... Now if I can just figure out the motion for opening the rear tail gate with my foot we are in business. I tried 50 times, no dice. However I did get it to open laying under the back looking for the sensor somehow...

Spotify works good, you can navigate through your library, playlists, Spotify radio etc all through the Idrive, no need to use the phone.

I have some LED low beam headlight bulbs and the OBD2 coding module coming Friday. If these work out well I might change all the exterior bulbs over to LED. Than I will call it good, it's the wife's car not mine.
Good news...and if you actually figure out a consistent way of opening the hatch with your foot, patent it!!
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2020, 12:54 AM   #9
paradigmus
Banned
Rep
Drives: BMW X5

This is quite strange because ours has ConnectedDrive apps. By the way, I want to start my own startup soon. My friend and I created an app for business navigation. This will be a really great app for BMW users. So far, I don't want to reveal all the secrets, but I think many people will like our app. So far, we have decided to publish our offer on the Patreon and on list of promotions in San Diego in the near future. This way we can attract customers. If you have any other suggestions I will be happy to listen to you.

Last edited by paradigmus; 10-14-2020 at 08:38 AM..
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2020, 11:10 AM   #10
4th chamber
Rep
Drives: BMW X1 F48

Quote:
ThNow if I can just figure out the motion for opening the rear tail gate with my foot we are in business. I tried 50 times, no dice. However I did get it to open laying under the back looking for the sensor somehow...
You need to ”sweep the foot” under the car, don’t bother ”kick” it, trying to trigger the sensor.
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2020, 12:13 PM   #11
dianebrat
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 orange x2 xDrive28i

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4th chamber View Post
You need to ”sweep the foot” under the car, don’t bother ”kick” it, trying to trigger the sensor.
I've found exactly the opposite, when I tried to sweep my leg like I would on a Ford or Lincoln it never opened, but a slow kick in and then pull back always opened it, so YMMV
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2020, 06:59 PM   #12
bimmerman_X1
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW X1

I definitely have to kick super fast and it works.

The issue is that sometimes it automatically tries to close and BMW refuses to acknowledge.
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2020, 07:03 AM   #13
bogdan5844
Romania
Rep
Drives: X1 F48

Hey there!

Don't know if you're on Android or iOS, but if it's the former, you might have a better experience with https://github.com/hufman/AndroidAutoIdrive

It supports extra stuff as well, such as interacting with your notifications and switching between multiple media apps (YouTube Music, local player, anything basically)
Appreciate 0