BMW
X1 / X2
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW X1 (F48) and X2 (F39) Forums General BMW X1 Forum (F48) power stop brakes components K7916

09-27-2020, 11:15 PM   #1
ToLiveX1MSport
Registered
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2016 X1 M Sports A. White

power stop brakes components K7916

[IMG]undefined[/IMG]
Does anyone use this brake component?
What can you advice this brand?
thanks.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      09-28-2020, 07:04 AM   #2
JR_1979
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 335i Coupe

I haven't heard a lot of bad things about Powerstop, most people seem to like them. Drilled rotors have a higher tendency to crack. If you're sold on that set, I would get a coat of paint on the hub and spine of those rotors before you mount them, they'll be a rusted mess in a week.

There's certainly better options out there. Brembo makes a really nice set of rotors for the X1 and they're very affordable. I'm a big fan of their rotors.

Front Disc Brake Rotor Brembo 09.C351.11

Rear Disc Brake Rotor Brembo 09.C743.11
Appreciate 1
      09-28-2020, 12:02 PM   #3
rice_rocket88
Major
No_Country
Rep
Drives: E60 F48 F39

Powerstop has been around for ages and is great. As mentioned if they aren't zinc coated or painted on the hub then it will surface oxidize/rust pretty easily.
Appreciate 1
      09-28-2020, 09:39 PM   #4
mrexcuse
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: Tiguan, M2 Comp, 330 Touring

When I still had the X1 the powerstops I installed worked well, stopped well and surface rust was minimal (I ordered the ones with extra coating). Fitment wasn't great though, whenever I would change direction from forward to back you would get a "clink" noise. Isolated down to the pads shifting back and forth. Made sure all hardware was installed properly and everything was fit right - just the fitment of the pads was just slightly too small.

If this doesn't bother you then performance wise they work well. I would get the rotors again, but likely get stock pads or try it to get something from Pagid instead.
Appreciate 1
      09-28-2020, 09:40 PM   #5
mrexcuse
Private First Class
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JR_1979 View Post
I haven't heard a lot of bad things about Powerstop, most people seem to like them. Drilled rotors have a higher tendency to crack. If you're sold on that set, I would get a coat of paint on the hub and spine of those rotors before you mount them, they'll be a rusted mess in a week.
I wouldn't bother with drilled rotors for this car. No benefit to the vehicle, other than increased potential for cracking. Spend the money on coated rotors and better pads.
Appreciate 1
      10-02-2020, 06:23 PM   #6
lonegun
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW X1 F48

I have the R1 Concept drilled and slotted coated rotor from Amazon for a year now. No crack so far and works great! https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B07LCXBZW7
Unless you are tracking the car, the drilled and slotted motors help to reduce to spung weight of the wheels. It won't necessary lower the heat capacity though due to the lower weight.
Appreciate 1
      10-12-2020, 06:29 PM   #7
DRock3d
Kraut Driver
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 650i GC/2011 335is DCT

Garage List
2014 650i Gran Coupe  [0.00]
2011 335is  [1.00]
2007 328i  [2.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrexcuse View Post
When I still had the X1 the powerstops I installed worked well, stopped well and surface rust was minimal (I ordered the ones with extra coating). Fitment wasn't great though, whenever I would change direction from forward to back you would get a "clink" noise. Isolated down to the pads shifting back and forth. Made sure all hardware was installed properly and everything was fit right - just the fitment of the pads was just slightly too small.

If this doesn't bother you then performance wise they work well. I would get the rotors again, but likely get stock pads or try it to get something from Pagid instead.
Were you able to solve that issue? My wife thinks I didn't do her brake job right because it makes noise. Drives me crazy too.
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2021, 10:00 PM   #8
mrexcuse
Private First Class
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRock3d View Post
Were you able to solve that issue? My wife thinks I didn't do her brake job right because it makes noise. Drives me crazy too.
Didn't see the post until now so likely too late, but the only fix was to switch to a different pad that fits better. Ended up swapping the car out for a Tiguan. It started to get a little too small for our needs. It was an exceptional vehicle for city use (Toronto area).
Appreciate 0