BMW
X1 / X2
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW X1 (F48) and X2 (F39) Forums General BMW X1 Forum (F48) Lease Return & Tires

07-09-2019, 09:28 PM   #1
DARKMTTR
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: '20 M2 Competition & '18 X1

Garage List
Lease Return & Tires

Hi all,

I have about 2.5 years remaining on my leased X1. I know upon lease-return I need to have similar RFTs with a certain percentage of tread depth left. The RFT-Pirellis that came with the X1 are absolutely atrocious in terms of performance, and I'd hate to have to buy another set for lease-return.

I'm just about ready to toss them (despite marginal tread depth left), however, instead of tossing them I want to know your thoughts on storing them until its time to return the lease and then remounting them upon lease-return with the current tread depth? I'd ideally be upgrading to non-rfts in the meantime for improved handling and comfort.

Any advice and opinions welcome. If its unrealistic to store them for that long, I'd love some alternatives. This is my first leased car, so I'm not really familiar with the process or "hacks".

TIA!
      07-09-2019, 10:48 PM   #2
thebmw
Post Advisor
Rep
Drives: More Manuals than Automatics

Why don't you replace them now, use them up, and then put the originals back on the car before you turn in the car?
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2019, 10:56 AM   #3
DARKMTTR
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by thebmw View Post
Why don't you replace them now, use them up, and then put the originals back on the car before you turn in the car?
Yes, that's what I'm thinking of doing.
      07-10-2019, 09:23 PM   #4
matchgrade
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW 2019 330i, 2003 530i

When we leased my wife's 3-series, that's what we did. We drove for a few months, swapped the Continental run-flats with some decent (Sumitomo HTR A/S P02) non-run-flat tires, and swapped them back right before turning the car in. You need at least 4/32 (or 1/8) inch of tread left.

Since the Sumitomos still had decent tread, I sold them on Craigslist to recoup the cost of swapping the tires at a tire shop.

If you have the space to store them, it's a good way to go. We tied them up in big plastic garbage bags per online how-to pages. Here are some relevant excerpts from one source:

"The 55-gallon size should be large enough for most tires. Place each tire into a bag, and seal it up tight with good ol’ duct tape. Making sure that air and other materials stay out will save the lubricating oils in the tires, and tires will be ready for use as soon as you need them. (TIP: Use your vacuum cleaner to draw out air from the bags before taping them up.)

STAND UNMOUNTED TIRES UPRIGHT. DO NOT HANG THEM ON HOOKS. They will warp. Stand them up in a rack and rotate once a month or so.

Of course, you need to keep tires cool, dry, and at a consistent temperature. The best option is storing them indoors in a well-ventilated place, if at all possible, and away from hot pipes/radiators, ovens, open flame, or battery chargers.

A climate-controlled workshop, garage, or storage unit would also be OK. Be sure to store items like mineral oils, fuel, and lubricating greases away from the tires. Keep tires away from your main work areas, and never use them as a “support” for a workbench. Pressure from the weight would cause distortions. Misplaced cigarettes, badly aimed drills, hot glue gun drippings or mislaid soldering irons will straight out ruin a tire.

Some air cleaners/air purifiers, furnaces, central vacuuming units, laser printers and copiers, sump pumps, and similar electric motors create ozone, a strong oxidizer. It isn’t good for people, and it’s really not good for rubber. (Specifically, the ozone content in the storage area must not exceed 0.08 ppm.)

If tires have to be stored outside, try to keep them off the ground−on pallets, or at least with thin plywood between the tires and the ground−and well covered (see step 1). Ideally, tires shouldn’t be stored on a heat-absorbent asphalt surface, or in heavy humidity, such as near a pier or dock.

Storing them near reflective surfaces like sand or snow will also deteriorate the tires more quickly. Wherever you store them, make sure it’s out of the sun. Heat from direct sun can cause the rubber to break down, which would be disappointing when you retrieve them next season.

Getting them out of storage: Double check the tires for cleanliness first, and look over the valve stems and caps for any signs of wear. Dump any water that may have condensed/collected during storage, and if there are any cracks or other discrepancies in the tires that give you doubt as to roadworthiness, have them checked by a professional before installation."

Credit to https://pitproducts.com/blogs/pit-st...ge-for-dummies
Appreciate 2
DARKMTTR229.00
      07-11-2019, 11:03 AM   #5
DARKMTTR
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by matchgrade View Post
When we leased my wife's 3-series, that's what we did. We drove for a few months, swapped the Continental run-flats with some decent (Sumitomo HTR A/S P02) non-run-flat tires, and swapped them back right before turning the car in. You need at least 4/32 (or 1/8) inch of tread left.

Since the Sumitomos still had decent tread, I sold them on Craigslist to recoup the cost of swapping the tires at a tire shop.

If you have the space to store them, it's a good way to go. We tied them up in big plastic garbage bags per online how-to pages. Here are some relevant excerpts from one source:

Credit to https://pitproducts.com/blogs/pit-st...ge-for-dummies
This is incredibly useful information! Thank you so much. I think this is what I'll do.
      07-11-2019, 07:56 PM   #6
matchgrade
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW 2019 330i, 2003 530i

Happy to offer my experience. By the way, after bagging I actually stored them outdoors in the shade on the north facing side of my home so they were never in direct sunlight, and they were fine. However, we live in sunny California, so we don't get temperature extremes
Appreciate 1
DARKMTTR229.00
      07-11-2019, 08:50 PM   #7
DARKMTTR
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by matchgrade View Post
Happy to offer my experience. By the way, after bagging I actually stored them outdoors in the shade on the north facing side of my home so they were never in direct sunlight, and they were fine. However, we live in sunny California, so we don't get temperature extremes
Unfortunately, that probably won't pass up here in the cold North thankfully I have a climate controlled storage unit at my disposal