BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW X1 (F48) and X2 (F39) Forums General BMW X1 Forum (F48) Right side exhaust

04-11-2016, 06:08 PM   #1
PF1
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F48 X1 xDrive25i M Sport

Right side exhaust

Just a question for those of us who already have the car. Driving behind the car I noticed the right side exhaust looks different from the left side. So had a closer look and seems that the right exhaust has a metal flap inside it. Does anyone know when that opens? Full throttle, or Sport mode? This is the petrol 25i engine.
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2016, 07:07 PM   #2
Pretender
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 06 330i, 07 328i, 16 X1, >17M2

Garage List
06 330i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by mynewx1
Just a question for those of us who already have the car. Driving behind the car I noticed the right side exhaust looks different from the left side. So had a closer look and seems that the right exhaust has a metal flap inside it. Does anyone know when that opens? Full throttle, or Sport mode? This is the petrol 25i engine.
You're probably a first time BMW owner. This exhaust flap has been in BMW cars with dual exhaust pipes for years. The flap is intended to provide enough back pressure for more low-end torque when you run at low RPM. If you pay attention to it when you warm up the car in the morning, smoke only comes out from 1 pipe. When you rev up, it opens. This flap connected to a little hose that blows or sucks air for open/close mechanism. Look under the car and you will see it.
      04-11-2016, 07:57 PM   #3
PF1
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F48 X1 xDrive25i M Sport

Thanks for your reply and explanation! Yes it's my first BMW so didn't know about this feature before! In my other car one side of the exhaust gets more dirty so maybe has a similar system but there's no flap visible from the outside.
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2016, 10:08 PM   #4
AusF20/F48
Major
Australia
Rep
Drives: F20 125i MS, F48 XD25i

Quote:
Originally Posted by mynewx1 View Post
Thanks for your reply and explanation! Yes it's my first BMW so didn't know about this feature before! In my other car one side of the exhaust gets more dirty so maybe has a similar system but there's no flap visible from the outside.
Yes, Pretender is correct, and it works in conjunction with the choke control when the vehicle is warming up.
Though Pretenders reply could have been a little less condescending
Appreciate 0