BMW
X7 and XM
forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW XM (G09) Forums General BMW XM Forum Those getting a CEL - what’s your current situation?

12-04-2023, 09:37 AM   #45
r33_RGSport
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: G09 XM, G05 X5 40, 991.2 T

Quote:
Originally Posted by VirtualGuitars View Post
Yeah, and now it makes complete sense how the OTA pushed your change. That’s awesome. All of the other modules are no longer accessible which sucks, but I’ve learned to live with it for the last year on my 2023 iX M60. Has that Tokenmaster guy ever resurfaced, or is he still off-the-grid? LOL

And by the way, my previous post was supposed to say “antiquated” and not “adequated.” Whoops.
Exactly. Tried to do something over the weekend and still no database.
Tokenmaster last blog is Nov 22.
Seems like he is under the radar for now until coding2.0 is cracked.
Active Autowerke • KW • H&R • Ohlins • Remus • and more...
Appreciate 1
      12-04-2023, 09:43 AM   #46
VirtualGuitars
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 BMW XM Label

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by r33_RGSport View Post
Exactly. Tried to do something over the weekend and still no database.
Tokenmaster last blog is Nov 22.
Seems like he is under the radar for now until coding2.0 is cracked.
I don’t know how in the world they are going to crack this considering the “not-so-local” files have to come from BMW’s servers…. Even if you were able to get your hands on the CAFD files, there’s no way to get them to the vehicle without being digitally signed by BMW. Even if they’re able to make this magically happen somehow, it will probably eff with the ability to get future software updates when the “hacked” digital signature checksums don’t match.
Appreciate 1
r33_RGSport13099.50
      12-26-2023, 08:53 PM   #47
melmann
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2024 XM Label

This is my 4th BMW. I've never had an issue with one until now, but also my first hybrid.
I've had my XM Label for 6 weeks and my CEL light came on while traveling . Initially, "Fuel tank gauge and range display malfunction". Filled tank to be certain I had enough fuel to travel last 30-40 miles. After refueling, fuel gauge didn't update and displayed zero fuel. Also, even though I wasn't in Hybrid or Electric Mode, my battery power level continued decreasing.. Received 2nd message "Range low, Avoid overtaking. Substantial reduction in drive power possible. Refuel and charge for full drive power." Called BMW where I purchased and was told to use Sport mode and continue driving. Battery power remained at 8 miles for remainder of trip, and then received 3rd alert message "Cont. driving possiblerivetrain. Range 8mi. Fuel tank gauge. Cont. driving possible"
Anyone else with a fuel/range display malfunction issue?
I am taking it in tomorrow. Praying for a quick repair. 🙏🏼
Appreciate 0
      12-26-2023, 09:11 PM   #48
VirtualGuitars
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by melmann View Post
This is my 4th BMW. I've never had an issue with one until now, but also my first hybrid.
I've had my XM Label for 6 weeks and my CEL light came on while traveling . Initially, "Fuel tank gauge and range display malfunction". Filled tank to be certain I had enough fuel to travel last 30-40 miles. After refueling, fuel gauge didn't update and displayed zero fuel. Also, even though I wasn't in Hybrid or Electric Mode, my battery power level continued decreasing.. Received 2nd message "Range low, Avoid overtaking. Substantial reduction in drive power possible. Refuel and charge for full drive power." Called BMW where I purchased and was told to use Sport mode and continue driving. Battery power remained at 8 miles for remainder of trip, and then received 3rd alert message "Cont. driving possiblerivetrain. Range 8mi. Fuel tank gauge. Cont. driving possible"
Anyone else with a fuel/range display malfunction issue?
I am taking it in tomorrow. Praying for a quick repair. 🙏🏼
Have you tried rebooting iDrive first and seeing at the error message comes back? Press and hold the volume button down for about 20 to 30 seconds and let it reboot. The instrument cluster will stay on, but your main display go blank and reset. You can even perform this action while you’re driving down the road. Much like rebooting a Microsoft Windows product, this solves many problems. It is a very safe procedure because all you’re doing is rebooting iDrive; otherwise, known as a soft reset. You’re not going lose anything; however, you might have to redo some of your instrument cluster preferences. Not a big deal.

I really wouldn’t worry about it unless you see error message repeatedly. It’s not uncommon to get erroneous errors like this with iDrive 8 and newer. By the way, if you set one of your M buttons to e-control, that will disable the electric motor for that drive session and your vehicle operate with engine-only.

If there ends up being a problem with the charging system, you can still drive your vehicle with the engine-only. We used to get erroneous errors like this on a daily basis in the early days of the iX platform. The consensus was not to worry about it unless the error messages return. With all of this being said, I haven’t had any of these issues on my XM Label.
Appreciate 0
      12-26-2023, 09:26 PM   #49
melmann
Registered
Rep

Quote:
Have you tried rebooting iDrive first and seeing at the error message comes back? Press and hold the volume button down for about 20 to 30 seconds and let it reboot. The instrument cluster will stay on, but your main display go blank and reset. You can even perform this action while you’re driving down the road. Much like rebooting a Microsoft Windows product, this solves many problems. It is a very safe procedure because all you’re doing is rebooting iDrive; otherwise, known as a soft reset. You’re not going lose anything; however, you might have to redo some of your instrument cluster preferences. Not a big deal.

I really wouldn’t worry about it unless you see error message repeatedly. It’s not uncommon to get erroneous errors like this with iDrive 8 and newer. By the way, if you set one of your M buttons to e-control, that will disable the electric motor for that drive session and your vehicle operate with engine-only.

If there ends up being a problem with the charging system, you can still drive your vehicle with the engine-only. We used to get erroneous errors like this on a daily basis in the early days of the iX platform. The consensus was not to worry about it unless the air messages return. Without being said, I haven’t had any of these issues on my XM Label.
Thank you for response. I did reboot IDrive today with the assistance of BMW I Hotline and unfortunately messages still appear. Also, when all this began selecting e-control was not an option, in that it wouldn't allow me to. Hence the reason BMW SA told me to drive in Sport mode. I drove a couple days after initial incident and I was allowed to select e-control but my battery power continued to diminish, so I swapped to Sport mode again.

When I pull up My BMW app, it indicates fuel level at 81%/ - - mi. I hope you're right and this is a simple fix.
Appreciate 1
      12-26-2023, 09:32 PM   #50
VirtualGuitars
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Thank you for response. I did reboot IDrive today with the assistance of BMW I Hotline and unfortunately messages still appear. Also, when all this began selecting e-control was not an option, in that it wouldn't allow me to. Hence the reason BMW SA told me to drive in Sport mode. I drove a couple days after initial incident and I was allowed to select e-control but my battery power continued to diminish, so I swapped to Sport mode again.

When I pull up My BMW app, it indicates fuel level at 81%/ - - mi. I hope you're right and this is a simple fix.
With e-control, you’re essentially setting the vehicle to engine-only. In other words, it means no hybrid mode - at all. Whether you choose sport or not is insignificant. We’re talking about the M mode button setup. You can still drive with the sport drivetrain mode, but with hybrid on or off. You’ll want to turn it off in this situation until you get this looked at and that is what e-control is for. I have no clue why they call it that, but that’s what they call it.

I have my M1 button setup this way which I press after each time I start the vehicle. In this scenario, you won’t be using the electric motor at all and the battery level will probably say consistent or higher as it recharges due to braking - which is when it recharges itself. If it keeps coming back after iDrive reboots, then you probably do have an issue with the charging system.
Appreciate 0
      12-26-2023, 10:04 PM   #51
melmann
Registered
Rep

Quote:
With e-control, you’re essentially setting the vehicle to engine only. In other words, it means no hybrid mode - at all. Whether you choose sport or not is insignificant. We’re talking about the M mode button setup. You can still drive in sport with hybrid on or off. You’ll want to turn it off in this situation until you get this looked at and that is what e-control is for. I have no clue why they call it that, but that’s what they call it.

I have my M1 button setup this way which I press after each time I start the vehicle. In this scenario, you won’t be using the electric motor at all and the battery level will probably say consistent or higher as it recharges due to braking - which is when it recharges itself. If it keeps coming back after iDrive reboots, then you probably do have an issue with the charging system.

Would a charging issue affect the fuel gauge reading? I did plug in XM after this incident and it completely recharged battery.
Appreciate 0
      12-26-2023, 10:07 PM   #52
VirtualGuitars
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Would a charging issue affect the fuel gauge reading? I did plug in XM after this incident and it completely recharged battery.
The battery percentage you’re seeing in the instrument cluster is for hybrid-mode which is always on by default and is why your battery percentage is going down as you drive. It will use it automatically until you reach a certain RPM or mash it. Go to your M button setup and program either M1 or M2 to e-control and then press it after you start the vehicle each time. That way you’re making sure that you’re not using the electric motor at all until you get this resolved. And when you’re looking at your range, there’s fuel, battery, and combined. Make sure you’re looking at the right one.

Don’t forget that the hybrid mode is there for performance, not range. My battery range stays at 98% all the time because I’m not ever using it. If I was actually going to race someone, I would turn hybrid mode back on.
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2024, 05:42 PM   #53
leightos
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 24 XM,'21 45e 'Lemon', '23 45e

For the record and to keep this thread going - I just got the CEL on my brand new XM. I had just hit the 300 mi and within minutes the CEL came on. I called Service (I just left the BMW place 2 hours ago) and he was busy, called my SA and she went over to service to let them know I'll be bringing it in tomorrow if it doesn't clear on its own
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2024, 06:40 PM   #54
VirtualGuitars
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by leightos View Post
For the record and to keep this thread going - I just got the CEL on my brand new XM. I had just hit the 300 mi and within minutes the CEL came on. I called Service (I just left the BMW place 2 hours ago) and he was busy, called my SA and she went over to service to let them know I'll be bringing it in tomorrow if it doesn't clear on its own
Didn’t you just post this on two other threads? This is a very small group compared to the other parts of the forum.
Appreciate 1
r33_RGSport13099.50
      03-13-2024, 11:11 PM   #55
leightos
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Didn’t you just post this on two other threads? This is a very small group compared to the other parts of the forum.
yes, very sorry about that - but I was following along different threads, and knowing few people read some of these threads figure I would inquire with people who were following the other threads. Plus I was in a parking lot with new CEL trying to get through to my SA and BMW service to find out some answers and wondering if I could drive home - which I did eventually. the Service guy said it shouldn't be a problem as long as the vehicle didn't feel it was driving differently.
Appreciate 1
      03-13-2024, 11:16 PM   #56
VirtualGuitars
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
yes, very sorry about that - but I was following along different threads, and knowing few people read some of these threads figure I would inquire with people who were following the other threads. Plus I was in a parking lot with new CEL trying to get through to my SA and BMW service to find out some answers and wondering if I could drive home - which I did eventually. the Service guy said it shouldn't be a problem as long as the vehicle didn't feel it was driving differently.
There’s no need to apologize. I think most of us read all of the threads. There may be four or five days that go by before a post gets put onto this part of the forum. On some days we may get 20 or more posts in one day.
Appreciate 1
leightos189.50
      03-14-2024, 07:26 AM   #57
padrino
Alpina!
Rep
Drives: Alpina XB7

Quote:
That may be the heads up for the break in, my wife’s X7 did that as well as my XM…
Appreciate 1
leightos189.50
      03-14-2024, 01:12 PM   #58
Bornagain73
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2022 IX 50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shitboxmotorco View Post
I just picked one up with 3k miles from the Manheim auction where Fields BMW was the seller and within 5 minutes of picking it up I got a CEL 😭
Off-topic. How’s Manheim nowadays.? When I use to live in Baltimore, I had a guy that I bought cars from for over 20 years. I use to love going to the exotic Thursday auction with him even just to go.
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2024, 05:28 PM   #59
leightos
Lieutenant
Rep

Verdict on my CEL - it was an expansion valve related to the cooling of the battery. Others have stated a similar diagnosis. They cleared and replaced it and ran the car for a time. We'll see what happens.

Edit: did anyone who had this CEL early and the same valve problem get their valve replaced and the problem returned ? I've read the posts and see most say it was cleared of course but not sure if they had the faulty part replaced. I know we were lucky here in Vegas to have the part on hand.

Update: yesterday they kept the car because today (Saturday) they wanted to replace the other valve just to be sure and to flush the refrigerant system and charge it and run it a few miles. All good let's hope.

Last edited by leightos; 03-16-2024 at 09:16 PM..
Appreciate 1
      03-15-2024, 07:09 PM   #60
XM Label
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: XM/XB7

Garage List
2024 XM Label  [0.00]
I was diagnosed with this problem also…then had the CEL cleared and it not comeback while waiting for part….then I had valve replaced and have not had CEL comeback yet. I can tell you the day with CEL I drove all electric and drove down to zero miles twice in a day and it was hot. I have a theory valve got stuck when battery got too hot….so I haven’t been driving in electric only to 0 miles from full in a while.
Appreciate 2
leightos189.50
r33_RGSport13099.50
      03-15-2024, 07:40 PM   #61
VirtualGuitars
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
You guys can buy any ODB adapter for 20 bucks at any auto parts store and clear these codes yourself. It doesn’t hurt anything to do so. Something as simple as an open gas cap can cause the check engine light to come on. if it’s really a problem, the code will keep coming back anyway not to mention everything is logged for BMW to see next time you check-in to the dealer for service.

I also recommend purchasing the following app which is written by the same developer that authors the very popular BimmerCode app. It’s used for diagnosing error codes from the ODB port and decoding some of the BMW language. Worth every single penny.

https://apps.apple.com/us/app/bimmer...i/id1065360416
Appreciate 4
leightos189.50
NoPII152.00
r33_RGSport13099.50
      03-23-2024, 12:16 PM   #62
leightos
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by XM Label View Post
I was diagnosed with this problem also…then had the CEL cleared and it not comeback while waiting for part….then I had valve replaced and have not had CEL comeback yet. I can tell you the day with CEL I drove all electric and drove down to zero miles twice in a day and it was hot. I have a theory valve got stuck when battery got too hot….so I haven’t been driving in electric only to 0 miles from full in a while.
I got the CEL again last night - and I was in e-control mode all day, as I have yet to hit the 1200 mile goal. [note, that flash message for the countdown of miles to 1200 doesn't appear anymore as I believe it was cleared during the first CEL error].

I did also get a brief DRIVETRAIN MALFUNCTION error on the dash - I have spoken to local BMW service and sales - they will look at the vehicle on Monday. BMWNA is closed today. But I filled out the form online.
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2024, 12:19 PM   #63
VirtualGuitars
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
I got the CEL again last night - and I was in e-control mode all day, as I have yet to hit the 1200 mile goal. [note, that flash message for the countdown of miles to 1200 doesn't appear anymore as I believe it was cleared during the first CEL error].

I did also get a brief DRIVETRAIN MALFUNCTION error on the dash - I have spoken to local BMW service and sales - they will look at the vehicle on Monday. BMWNA is closed today. But I filled out the form online.
You do know that you need to get to 1200 miles on the actual engine, right? It doesn’t do you any good if you’re driving in electric-only mode. By the way, some of these errors can be erroneous. You can clear them with an ODB adapter available at any auto parts store, but if it keeps coming back after each subsequent start, then you’ll need to take it in. It’s probably nothing serious.

You should see the amount of erroneous errors that come up on the full EVs. They sound horrifying, but rarely come back unless there’s an actual defect. I attribute most of those to the original iDrive 8 release which was buggy AF on the EVs.

Back to the break-in, you need to get to 1200 miles on the engine before you take it in, not 1200 miles total on the the vehicle.
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2024, 12:27 PM   #64
leightos
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
You do know that you need to get to 1200 miles on the actual engine, right?
yes. This is my 3rd hybrid. But thanks, some people don't know that - good to make sure as it's a salient point.

Quote:
With e-control, you’re essentially setting the vehicle to engine-only. In other words, it means no hybrid mode - at all.
yes this is why I was in e-control mode to run mostly on the ICE. I'm distinguishing my error as it was not concurrent with running in hybrid or on the battery as other have suggested their CEL comes on when running the HV battery.

I'm def going out today to buy an OBD2 reader.

Last edited by leightos; 03-23-2024 at 12:35 PM..
Appreciate 1
      03-23-2024, 12:31 PM   #65
VirtualGuitars
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
yes. This is my 3rd hybrid. But thanks, some people don't know that.
Yeah, a lot of newbies don’t realize that and in their defense, BMW does not make it very clear. Since it is an engine break-in, I guess they assume the driver will understand that. When I first got mine, I was driving in hybrid mode not realizing I wasn’t really working towards the 1200 miles. It took me 100 miles before I realized it.
Appreciate 1
leightos189.50
      05-01-2024, 02:25 AM   #66
nicosusername
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: various

Quote:
Verdict on my CEL - it was an expansion valve related to the cooling of the battery. Others have stated a similar diagnosis. They cleared and replaced it and ran the car for a time. We'll see what happens.

Edit: did anyone who had this CEL early and the same valve problem get their valve replaced and the problem returned ? I've read the posts and see most say it was cleared of course but not sure if they had the faulty part replaced. I know we were lucky here in Vegas to have the part on hand.

Update: yesterday they kept the car because today (Saturday) they wanted to replace the other valve just to be sure and to flush the refrigerant system and charge it and run it a few miles. All good let's hope.
I’ve had the valve replaced three times now and AC flushed twice. So far, so good…. (fingers crossed)

And while it doesn’t affect the drivability, it is pretty annoying.
Appreciate 0