BMW
X1 / X2
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums Off-Topic Discussions Board School me on investments?

10-26-2016, 09:22 PM   #45
PoorLurker
Custom User Title
No_Country
Rep
Drives: a bicycle

Quote:
Originally Posted by yourcakeisready View Post
I like this guy
Quote:
Originally Posted by yourcakeisready View Post
Invest in shoes
Jordans get you a lot of followers and likes on Instagram.

Invest in shoes.

However, be a real "baller" on Instagram and be careful not to post your stacks of cash in front of a crappy house or a white refrigerator. It's the small details that most people on instagram fail to do to make it look like they are legitimately full of money
Appreciate 1
theriz405.50
      10-26-2016, 09:32 PM   #46
theriz
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 M3

Garage List
2017 F80 M3  [0.00]
2011 335i M-Sport  [4.00]
2015 M3  [0.00]
2009 X5  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by PoorLurker View Post

Invest in shoes.

However, be a real "baller" on Instagram and be careful not to post your stacks of cash in front of a crappy house or a white refrigerator. It's the small details that most people on instagram fail to do to make it look like they are legitimately full of money
      10-26-2016, 10:14 PM   #47
yourcakeisready
El Jefe
United_States
Rep
Drives: Potenial M6 :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoorLurker View Post

Invest in shoes.

Yeezy's get you more followers and likes on IG, keep up
      10-27-2016, 12:21 AM   #48
mantis
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 328i

Garage List
2011 e90  [5.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ls3c6 View Post
I've asked this question to others before, i'll ask it here.

$120k cash in the bank, 70% home equity, save roughly $1200 cash a month, no other debt.

3% company matched 401k, the usual health insurance and other costs.

What should I be doing? I'm currently doing nothing, very conservative and holding has been safer to me than weathering some kind of crash in a market I know nothing about.
wait for amazon stock to drop around nov 18 and buy buy if you can score shares at 800 or under, this season they will be hitting the 900 mark

says a guy that works for amazon

Last edited by mantis; 10-28-2016 at 11:48 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2016, 07:26 AM   #49
David70
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 06 Z4M Coupe - 13 Cadillac ATS

Quote:
I'm currently doing nothing, very conservative and holding has been safer to me than weathering some kind of crash in a market I know nothing about.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mantis View Post
wait for amazon stock to drop around nov 18 and buy buy if you can score shares at 800 or under, this season they will be hitting the 900 mark

says a guy that works for amazon
Telling the person who is holding $120k in cash, doesn't know what he should do with this money, very conservative and wants to limit risk to try to time when to buy and sell Amazon stock is also really bad advice.
      10-27-2016, 07:52 AM   #50
f8xdct
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 17 SO M3

- Do invest in stocks but buy in small groups like 10 or 100 shares and move up as you get comfortable (DO NOT ATTEMPT TO DAY TRADE early on)
- dividend paying stocks are great: REITs have great dividends (http://finance.yahoo.com/quote/O?p=O pays monthly dividend but its near 10Y high, do not buy high)
- Do invest in real estate (others have given details, learn and grow)
- Do invest in index funds
- Do invest...in everything, savings will not grow your nest egg
- 401k is OK (http://www.bloomberg.com/news/articl...for-your-401-k)

Key is diversification and knowledge. Learn the jargon, read, read and read some more.
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2016, 08:54 AM   #51
shawntech
The Wolf
United_States
Rep
Drives: stuff

Garage List
  [0.00]
2019 BMW M850i conv ...  [0.00]
How about this, is anyone putting a small amount, say $20k into something and using the dividends throughout the year after gains in their lives or just letting it pile up?
      10-27-2016, 08:58 AM   #52
David70
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ls3c6 View Post
How about this, is anyone putting a small amount, say $20k into something and using the dividends throughout the year after gains in their lives or just letting it pile up?
I reinvest everything. To me it doesn't make sense to continue to invest part of my normal pay while at the same time using dividends I don't need as extra spending money. Then the whole "compounding" is being reduced.

Might as well just not save as much in the first place.

I also think you will find that the dividends on $20k isn't going to be enough money per quarter to make much of a difference in your life.
      10-27-2016, 11:37 AM   #53
///Mongo
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M4 Coupe

Always reinvest dividends. Compounding is key to growth.
Appreciate 1
      10-27-2016, 01:21 PM   #54
overcoil
Major General
Rep
Drives: M235i 6spd

Here's a good article

http://mobile.nytimes.com/2016/10/22...s-contest.html
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2016, 01:43 PM   #55
TXSTYLE
"Salud"
United_States
Rep
Drives: F01 & F15 / Mineral White

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottSinger View Post
Great article! Short but thorough. And from the article, this is the reason I don't fok with brokers:

Quote:
In most instances, the brokers pushing products are within their rights. Unlike registered investment advisers, who are required to consider clients’ best interests, brokers are held to the lower standard of suitability. And what may be suitable for them to sell may not be suitable — or certainly prudent — for their clients to own.
It all goes back to the legendary saying... Knowledge is Power
      10-27-2016, 01:43 PM   #56
JohnnyCanuck
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2018 Audi RS3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///Mongo View Post
Always reinvest dividends. Compounding is key to growth.
+1, especially using DRIPs if available. I usually target equities that offer sponsored DRIPs for three reasons: commission free; shares are often discounted; and, sponsored DRIPs allow you to accumulate partial shares essentially providing compounding every dividend.
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2016, 01:48 PM   #57
HyeWarrior
Major
Rep
Drives: 2012 135i DCT

I have so much to learn
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2016, 02:45 PM   #58
overcoil
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by HyeWarrior View Post
I have so much to learn
this is my advice

Open an online brokerage account
Deposit a few hundred dollars into the account (purely familiarization)

Before you purchase any stocks, assess how the market does on Monday's and Friday's. Then pick some pharmaceutical, utility, tech and industries or business types your interested in and follow some of those stocks for a few weeks. Also follow some cheapo penny stocks for a few weeks. Most important, with your online account, each morning between 9:30 and 10:00 review the biggest % gainers and dollar gainers for that morning ( you can also review the losers ).

Then when you've gotten comfortable viewing and familiarizing yourself with some companies...at 10:00a.m. - on anyday but Monday or when the Gov releases economic data, find the cheapest or cheapy % gainers for that morning and BUY some MARKET order shares.
Follow the shares closely that day, if the share price goes higher, then you decide if you put in a SELL order. ( research LIMIT and MARKET stock purchases and sales ). Personally if the shares begin to drop, I would not sell till the stock recovers with gains. It's helpful to put a stock app on your phone where you can follow the newly purchased.

The whole idea is to attempt quick gains.
In the past few years these are some stocks which after owning for a few days or weeks I sold at a 3-4 X's my initial investment.

LINC
PRTA
ACHN

I think the day after the presidential elections is a good day to attempt for a quick opening rally.

Right now I'm sitting on some SDOW - I don't recommend buying it now but research this type of stock.

Also, in a dedicated binder, write down the date, name of company and dollar amount - on day of purchase and day of sale. And research COST BASIS for stocks.
If your young TurboTax is a great way to really dial into the accounting behind your tax-return.

Last edited by overcoil; 10-27-2016 at 03:09 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2016, 10:26 PM   #59
BayMoWe335
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2010 E92 335i 6MT

Quote:
this is my advice

Open an online brokerage account
Deposit a few hundred dollars into the account (purely familiarization)

Before you purchase any stocks, assess how the market does on Monday's and Friday's. Then pick some pharmaceutical, utility, tech and industries or business types your interested in and follow some of those stocks for a few weeks. Also follow some cheapo penny stocks for a few weeks. Most important, with your online account, each morning between 9:30 and 10:00 review the biggest % gainers and dollar gainers for that morning ( you can also review the losers ).

Then when you've gotten comfortable viewing and familiarizing yourself with some companies...at 10:00a.m. - on anyday but Monday or when the Gov releases economic data, find the cheapest or cheapy % gainers for that morning and BUY some MARKET order shares.
Follow the shares closely that day, if the share price goes higher, then you decide if you put in a SELL order. ( research LIMIT and MARKET stock purchases and sales ). Personally if the shares begin to drop, I would not sell till the stock recovers with gains. It's helpful to put a stock app on your phone where you can follow the newly purchased.

The whole idea is to attempt quick gains.
In the past few years these are some stocks which after owning for a few days or weeks I sold at a 3-4 X's my initial investment.

LINC
PRTA
ACHN

I think the day after the presidential elections is a good day to attempt for a quick opening rally.

Right now I'm sitting on some SDOW - I don't recommend buying it now but research this type of stock.

Also, in a dedicated binder, write down the date, name of company and dollar amount - on day of purchase and day of sale. And research COST BASIS for stocks.
If your young TurboTax is a great way to really dial into the accounting behind your tax-return.
Don't listen to any of this...it's shit advice.

Do what I said and you'll be fine.

SDOW, LINC...LOL
Appreciate 2
David701567.00
      10-28-2016, 07:48 AM   #60
David70
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Telling the person that admits they have a lot to learn that they should become a day trader is probably the worst advice on investments I have ever seen.

Maybe he should also send the money to the guy in Nigeria that needs it short term so he can get the mother load out and send him part of it.
StephGOD218.50
      10-28-2016, 07:56 AM   #61
overcoil
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BayMoWe335 View Post
Don't listen to any of this...it's shit advice.

Do what I said and you'll be fine.

SDOW, LINC...LOL
Is PRTA shit ? In the past year went from 17.00 to 75.00
LINC tripled in that time frame.

If your an old man who was getting a bi-weekly pay check and need to be conservative so you don't wind up in assisted living then crawl on down to your Fidelity agent and have some free coffee.
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2016, 08:15 AM   #62
Aatish
Lofty
Rep
Drives: i4 M50, 991.2 C2, RRS Diesel

Play some simulators.

Open online brokerage account, considering commission rates. ~$1,000-$2,000 is a nice amount to start with.

Buy 70% "safe" stock; "play" with the other 30%.

Keep adding spare cash into account. Read up on companies. Stick with companies you familiar with, not ones that others tell you to invest in.
I4 M50 (coming soon)
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2016, 08:21 AM   #63
David70
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Is PRTA shit ? In the past year went from 17.00 to 75.00
LINC tripled in that time frame.

If your an old man who was getting a bi-weekly pay check and need to be conservative so you don't wind up in assisted living then crawl on down to your Fidelity agent and have some free coffee.
Beating the market in the medium to long term, after figuring in taxes and fees is unlikely (or everyone would do it), and posting stocks that have gone up significantly in the past is far from proof of anything, like saying you are good at the lottery by telling us past winning numbers. If you really can beat the market over the long term you are really great at what you do and to think you can tell someone to do the same in a short post is sending him down the wrong path.

Assuming with your great results you have quit your day job and are now just trading stocks? Or opened an investment firm so you can also add other peoples money into the mix?
      10-28-2016, 08:21 AM   #64
overcoil
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by David70 View Post
Telling the person that admits they have a lot to learn that they should become a day trader is probably the worst advice on investments I have ever seen.

Maybe he should also send the money to the guy in Nigeria that needs it short term so he can get the mother load out and send him part of it.
The term 'day trader' doesn't describe the individual who opens an online account and buys stocks. And I recommended a dollar amount that was inline with playing slots or betting on a football game - you really think learning about stocks is worse then betting on a football game?
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2016, 08:30 AM   #65
David70
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
The term 'day trader' doesn't describe the individual who opens an online account and buys stocks. And I recommended a dollar amount that was inline with playing slots or betting on a football game - you really think learning about stocks is worse then betting on a football game?
So this is gambling money not long term investment money, now I understand completely, and yes I agree, your strategy is better than betting on football or the slots but you forgot to point this part out and I thought we were talking about an investment strategy.

I was assuming you were successful to the point of turning a small amount of money into a lot.
      10-28-2016, 08:31 AM   #66
overcoil
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by David70 View Post
Beating the market in the medium to long term, after figuring in taxes and fees is unlikely (or everyone would do it), and posting stocks that have gone up significantly in the past is far from proof of anything, like saying you are good at the lottery by telling us past winning numbers. If you really can beat the market over the long term you are really great at what you do and to think you can tell someone to do the same in a short post is sending him down the wrong path.

Assuming with your great results you have quit your day job and are now just trading stocks? Or opened an investment firm so you can also add other peoples money into the mix?
I have some earlier post on this thread where I suggest savings and minimizing risks is vital.
Stocks should be a portion of anyone's portfolio - I don't care if you use Bill Ackman for tips but research and buy. And I didn't just list stocks that hit the lottery by luck, I suggested looking for % gainers early in the trading period, I suggested how to pick and I suggested research. I also don't assume people are incapable of taking charge of their financial holdings.
Appreciate 0