BMW
X1 / X2
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums General BMW News and Cars Discussion BMW of North America Reports February 2019 U.S. Sales

03-02-2019, 03:21 PM   #23
SteveinArizona
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 530e

Quote:
Originally Posted by FRAU GRAU View Post
My concern is that the 4 coupe goes the way of the 6 coupe. There is a coming day when BMW stops selling coupes in the US...I fear that day.
Why do you think that? The 2 series is all coupes and the 8 series is a coupe.

I don't see any indication that BMW is abandoning coupes.
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2019, 03:40 PM   #24
mkoesel
United_States
Rep
Drives: No BMW for now

Quote:
My concern is that the 4 coupe goes the way of the 6 coupe. There is a coming day when BMW stops selling coupes in the US... I fear that day.
The 6 Series did not go away, it was simply rebranded as the 8 Series.

Passenger car sales in general continue to contract, but coupes were already a very small percentage of that total to begin with. Luxury segments also show more resilience. I don’t think BMW will be exiting the coupe market any time soon, especially with their M lineup and racing programs being crucial to keeping enthusiasts with the brand.
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2019, 03:47 PM   #25
530iDriver
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW 530i

Quote:
My concern is that the 4 coupe goes the way of the 6 coupe. There is a coming day when BMW stops selling coupes in the US...I fear that day.
Very likely. Coupes are even less desirable than sedans to some.

I like the look, but don't necessarily enjoy the long and wide doors on this body style.

Before: 2011 BMW 328i E90 sedan, Platinum Bronze Metallic, Dakota Brown leather, 17 inch wheels, 6-speed auto, N52 6 Cyl inline N/A goodness....
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2019, 05:43 PM   #26
Fugly M3
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2023 M3CX

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveinArizona View Post
Why do you think that? The 2 series is all coupes and the 8 series is a coupe.

I don't see any indication that BMW is abandoning coupes.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkoesel View Post
The 6 Series did not go away, it was simply rebranded as the 8 Series.

Passenger car sales in general continue to contract, but coupes were already a very small percentage of that total to begin with. Luxury segments also show more resilience. I don’t think BMW will be exiting the coupe market any time soon, especially with their M lineup and racing programs being crucial to keeping enthusiasts with the brand.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 530iDriver View Post
Very likely. Coupes are even less desirable than sedans to some.

I like the look, but don't necessarily enjoy the long and wide doors on this body style.
As, much as I'd want to agree with the first two of you...I think the reality is the third. Most people don't want the impracticality of two doors. Now, if they ever washed their own cars, they'd realized how much of an added pain in the rear those extra two doors are!

I can see the M coupes not going away...but the series coupes aren't long for the world. Again, in the North American market this is. Just look at the 2 series sales. I can't really believe this because I owned a 2 series and I thought it to be infinitely practical and the perfect size. Behind the e46 coupe I had, it was probably the best overall BMW I've ever had. So, my guess is once the 2 gran coupe is here, the actual coupe will disappear. Just my two cents, of course.
Appreciate 1
530iDriver1707.50
      03-02-2019, 06:21 PM   #27
mkoesel
United_States
Rep
Drives: No BMW for now

Quote:
As, much as I'd want to agree with the first two of you...I think the reality is the third. Most people don't want the impracticality of two doors.
This is not a new phenomena. Coupe sales have been a very small percentage of the overall market for decades.

Quote:
I can see the M coupes not going away...but the series coupes aren't long for the world.
That scenario has absolutely no reasonable chance of happening. M vehicles are based on Series vehicles because that enables them to be produced at a reasonable cost. If the coupes go, the M counterparts will go with them.

Quote:
So, my guess is once the 2 gran coupe is here, the actual coupe will disappear. Just my two cents, of course.
Not only will this not happen, but no other BMW coupe will disappear in the next seven years either, and quite probably longer. The G15 goes through 2024, the G22 will go through 2027 and the G42 will go through 2028. And electric coupes will most certainly be a thing in time as well.

If luxury coupe models do begin to drop out of the marketplace, it will be because the sedans with which they share many parts are put to rest due to those models no longer being financially viable either. This may very well happen at some point, but so far all major luxury nameplates are holding strong. Sedans themselves are not predicted to go away, but some pruning in premium sedans is likely to come next decade, yes. It remains to be seen if the coming shift to EV will stabilize the sedan and passenger car segments.
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2019, 03:09 AM   #28
jammit
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: X5

new model X5 and only 8.8% more sales! quite surprising.
overall passenger car sales substantially down on last year too
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2019, 09:17 PM   #29
TheBingoBalls
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW

Garage List
I think this is going to be a good year for BMW with the whole X line up pretty much refreshed into the new generation, with the exception of the X6 which we should see towards the end of the year.

The X7 is probably going to be the biggest hit/winner, most dealerships in the area have already sold out all their initial allocations and then some with the bigger ones already selling their +/- 30 allocations they have received so far.
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2019, 08:45 AM   #30
trey100
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cortexiphan View Post
Gotta say, there has been great reception to G20. Journalists love it, and overall reception from people is overwhelmingly positive. IMO, it's the best release since E46. E90 was criticized for its design and relative softness, F30 was criticized for its steering and body roll; G20 doesn't appear to have any 'agreed upon' weak spot at all.
Except the M340 got the old F30 rack unlike the 330. I hope that doesn't mean all the positive 330 reviews will not translate to steering on the M340. At least one review mentioned the above.
Appreciate 0