E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > My 2008 328i driving me crazy...smokes like John Candy's car in the movie Uncle Buck

06-17-2019, 12:35 AM   #1
porshapower
Rep
Drives: 2008 328i

My 2008 328i driving me crazy...smokes like John Candy's car in the movie Uncle Buck

Hi Guys. Have an 08 328i SULEV with the N51. A few months ago I replaced valve cover and gasket because old one was leaking badly but had no driveability issues. Changed gasket and car was fine for a couple weeks. Started smoking badly out exhaust. I heard a hissing under hood and found the motronic valve gasket torn. Replaced it and it has been fine since then. Was on the highway and went to pass a car and pressed on gas all the way. Looked in my mirror and I saw nothing but tons of smoke and when I pressed the gas to pass the car I heard engine ping or diesel for couple seconds. I have sprayed everywhere looking for a small leak and cant find anything. I tried revving the engine to a high rpm and spraying and nothing. I also notice when I rev it all the way up in driveway there is no smoke BUT if I drive it and press on the gas it smokes bad. Check the oil and its down half a quart. I notice a small oil leak on the oil filter housing and understand that the system needs to be sealed with no oil leaks which equate to a vacuum leak on these cars and could throw off CCV function? Anyone heard of an issue like this? Thank you in advance for thr help. My Best,Nel

Last edited by porshapower; 06-17-2019 at 02:10 AM..
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2019, 10:09 AM   #2
gbalthrop
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2007 328xi E91

Quote:
Originally Posted by porshapower View Post
...08 328i SULEV with the N51. A few months ago I replaced valve cover and gasket because old one was leaking badly but had no driveability issues. Changed gasket and car was fine for a couple weeks. Started smoking badly out exhaust. I heard a hissing under hood and found the motronic valve gasket torn. Replaced it and it has been fine since then. Was on the highway and went to pass a car and pressed on gas all the way. Looked in my mirror and I saw nothing but tons of smoke and when I pressed the gas to pass the car I heard engine ping or diesel for couple seconds...Check the oil and its down half a quart.
QUESTIONS:
1) Was OLD Valve Cover cracked?
2) Why did you replace it?
3) WHAT Valve Cover did you replace it with (Used, New/Brand)?

If it has oil smoke coming from the tailpipes at Full Load, is using oil, and has "detonation" (diesel sound) when smoke is coming from the exhaust, the engine is drawing oil into the intake manifold, probably from the PCV valve and oil separator integral to the Plastic Valve Cover (which is the only Functional Part you replaced per your description).

I'm NOT familiar with the PCV system on the N51 engine, but if it is like that on the N52KP engine, it works as described above.

George
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2019, 01:35 PM   #3
nhhiep
Captain
Rep
Drives: bmw

In case you didn’t know, sulev has 15 yrs 150k miles on these . Just need to find a dealer that knows about it
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2019, 02:42 PM   #4
martinm0
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 335i RWD 6MT Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by nhhiep View Post
In case you didn’t know, sulev has 15 yrs 150k miles on these . Just need to find a dealer that knows about it
Florida isn't one of the states that recognizes the SULEV (CARB) aspects unfortunately.

https://batxcr1.bmwcenternet.com/lib...s_Coverage.pdf

To the OP, have you put the car in the air and looked from under for oil leaks? Wonder if there is a leak on the back of the block from the VCG replacement.
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2019, 03:04 PM   #5
porshapower
Rep

Hello. Thank you for the reply. Yes the N51 ccv system is the same as yours. I replaced the cover because the gasket was leaking badly. I was afraid of the old cover being cracked or warped and wanted to have everything on hand when I started the job so I ordered a new cover and gasket kit. I have a friend who has installed 2 of these covers from an aftermarket cimpany so I took a chance and did the same. The cover looked the same and went on perfectly. I developed a leak on the valvetronic motor gasket quickly from the new cover and had these same oil smoking out the tail pipe issue but 100 times worse. It was so bad it smoked at idle. This is when I began to become familiar with the CCV system in these cars and how an oil leak actually creates a vacuum leak due to the "sealed" crankcase ventilation system. So I found the motronic gasket was defective from the new aftermarket cover. I replaced it with an oem gasket and all was fine...until this happened. Now it is doing the same smoking symptoms but you have to be driving the car and gas pedal has to be pushed down around 80 percent. This made me believe another oil leak or air leak is causing this again but a very small leak. So I noticed the very small leak at the oil filter housing and has me wondering? Also the aftermarket CCV valve in the cover has me wondering but I am not too familiar with how to test. I did read that pulling off the CCV vacuum line at the throttle body connection and you should be able to pull and hold vacuum from the CCV? And that the CCV rests in the open position when the car is turned off? So I have not hooked up my mighty vac to the line yet. I did however remove vacuum line at throttle valve side with car running and feel no vacuum suction. Also revved the engine and can't feel vacuum so I dont see how the diaphram in the CCV will close because I cant feel vacuum suction from the line. I also tried blowing through the vacuum line into the CCV vacuum port nipple and can't so that has me stumped because I read somewhere it rests in open position when vehicle is off. Thank you for the help.
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2019, 03:14 PM   #6
porshapower
Rep

Thanks again guys. It is funny you mention the Sulev Warranty. I just read a story about this. From what I understand from reading BMW rewrote the law sometime around 2013 stating that vehicles purchased in SULEV states would have to remain in an SULEV state in order to be covered under Sulev Warranty. Now prior to 2013 any Sulev Bmw was covered for the 15 years or 150k miles regardless of what state the BMW is registered in. Anyone had any experience with this? Thanks again guys.
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2019, 06:25 PM   #7
FLYIN4D
In The Lane Next To You
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 328i 6MT Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by porshapower View Post
Thanks again guys. It is funny you mention the Sulev Warranty. I just read a story about this. From what I understand from reading BMW rewrote the law sometime around 2013 stating that vehicles purchased in SULEV states would have to remain in an SULEV state in order to be covered under Sulev Warranty. Now prior to 2013 any Sulev Bmw was covered for the 15 years or 150k miles regardless of what state the BMW is registered in. Anyone had any experience with this? Thanks again guys.
I just bought an '08 328i Coupe (SULEV) from CA. I live in AZ. Prior to purchasing I spoke with a BMW service manager here in AZ and he said they would honor SULEV for me.