BMW
X1 / X2
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW X1 (F48) and X2 (F39) Forums General BMW X1 Forum (F48) Help with 195014 & 191C02 Error Codes (Fuel Tank Vent Valve?)

02-07-2021, 12:54 PM   #1
Skyline2.0
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW X1 xDrive

Help with 195014 & 191C02 Error Codes (Fuel Tank Vent Valve?)

The dreaded CEL popped on my dash yesterday about 20 miles into a 80 mile drive. I pulled over and used BimmerLink to scan the code, which pulled up Error Code 195014 and 191C02 - screenshots attached. The codes appear to point to the tank ventilation/fuel tank breather valve.

First, I did some research and found this post discussing the codes I see and valve being defective for B46 engines: https://www.autoserviceprofessional....nk-vent-defect. My prior symptoms include very rare and intermittent rough idle upon start up or sometimes at a stop light. RPMs will drop briefly for 1-2 seconds then return to normal. I would say 98% of the time the car drives perfectly fine with no rough idle. The engine has never turned off by itself nor have I experienced limp mode thus far.

I pulled the acoustic cover off and found the valve sitting right on top of the intake manifold. After removing to inspect, there are 3 ports - see attached 3 photos. One opening had a tan colored reed valve which was centered and didn't allow air in. I blew into a narrow long black port and no air was able to enter either. The 3rd port allowed air in, which came out out of the hole with the reed valve. From this basic inspection/test, the mechanical part seems to be working, but I'm not 100% positive. Does anyone have a more precise testing or diagnostic method?

Second, I followed one of the lines coming out of the valve and noticed the hose was rubbing pretty severely against a wiring harness - see photo of a wiring loom with a white label and barcode. The hose that's rubbing against the loom is the one sitting directly on top of it. I can see exposed white plastic under the black sheathing on the hose. Anyone else have this same rubbing issue?

Lastly, I took a photo of one of the lines coming out of the fuel tank ventilation valve that ran to the firewall near the passenger side strut (US model). On the bottom hose that's held in place by a black bracket, there appears to be some brown corrosion/gunk - see red circled area. I don't know if this is normal or signs of something leaking. Can someone confirm if that hose looks the same on your car, or is the brown area/exposed white plastic abnormal?

I've already contacted my local BMW dealer for an appointment, pending confirmation. I believe the problem should be covered under the 4 year/50k mile new vehicle warranty, but I'll find out soon. If it's not, I'll be diagnosing further and attempting the repair myself.

I want to be as informed as possible before going to the dealer. Any helpful guidance from those that have had the same error codes, or may have resolved these error codes themselves is very much welcomed.

Thanks all.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      05-26-2021, 03:11 AM   #2
Ronrey
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 x1 xdrive 28i

Hi, I have the same code in my 2017 x1 f48. Any update with the service you had with your dealer? Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2021, 06:58 AM   #3
Skyline2.0
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW X1 xDrive

Replaced under warranty.
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2021, 12:46 PM   #4
Ronrey
United_States
Rep