BMW
X1 / X2
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW X1 (F48) and X2 (F39) Forums General BMW X2 Forum (F39) Is anyone else having throttle issues??

11-01-2019, 09:57 PM   #111
mplsx2m35i
Rep
Drives: BMW X2 m35i

My m35i is being delivered at the end of November. Is this a big enough issue to cancel?
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2019, 10:20 PM   #112
El Greco DC
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: ‘19 X2 M35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by mplsx2m35i View Post
My m35i is being delivered at the end of November. Is this a big enough issue to cancel?
Tough call.

So much else about the vehicle is great: the power, handling, styling, and overall feel of it. If you lived in the DC area, I'd say drive mine for a day in the city and see what I'm talking about before you make a decision.

For me, had I been aware of this issue before I bought my M35i, there's no way I would have bought it. Instead, I would have passed on the M35i and gotten the M2 that was a close second on my list.

I've had way too many close calls in traffic due to this issue, and while I know to expect it and can be prepared somewhat, it still surprises me enough to scare the hell out of me at least once or twice a week.
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2019, 10:25 PM   #113
Destroya
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2020 X2 M35i

Mine is being delivered in ten days. If the delay described is anything like the delay on the X1 then I am not too concerned. Once I got used to the way the car accelerated it was not much of a factor. I found that feathering the accelerator rather than mashing it leads to much smoother acceleration.
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2019, 11:04 PM   #114
King_Leonard
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW X2 M35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by mplsx2m35i View Post
Book another test drive and compare throttle response in different driving modes and different traffic situations. Get to the dealership during rush hour.

If the dealer gives you a hard time, tell him about the problems current owners are discussing in this thread. You can still cancel and get your deposit back.

In hind sight, would I have still bought the m35i? Yes, but I would have haggled for a lower price.

Will my next car be a bimmer? Mmmm...likely No.
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2019, 08:41 AM   #115
billnchristy
Major
Rep
Drives: 2022 M440xi GC

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Destroya View Post
Mine is being delivered in ten days. If the delay described is anything like the delay on the X1 then I am not too concerned. Once I got used to the way the car accelerated it was not much of a factor. I found that feathering the accelerator rather than mashing it leads to much smoother acceleration.
It's the same except the m35i goes like hell once it starts going.

I have driven this platform since the x1 came out so it doesn't really bother me at all.
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2019, 12:35 PM   #116
Glazonyoursix
Private
Rep
Drives: X2 M35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Greco DC View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glazonyoursix View Post
I still get the issue from time to time. Legit the only thing that you could do is just keep the car in sport transmission. Really upset at the result that BMW didn't put the thought and testing into these cars because they have other models that have the same so why test it so much. I'm an automotive enthusiast and I truly Love BMW but they let the ball down on this whole debacle. I know everyone is frustrated about it but just seems like we aren't really going to get a fix for this.
Yeah. I really wish I had driven it in city conditions during my test drive. Instead I drove it like a bat out of hell and was ear to ear smiles due to its handling and power. Live and learn.

Have you considered filing a complaint with the NHTSA like I did?
I had the same response when I first took it for a drive. They put me on a back road and the handling was amazing. I to feel like it would of been better for me to drive in traffic to see what it was like.

Reason why I have not filed a complaint yet is because the NHTSA doesn't have the M35i listed. The engine they use in the M35i is different from that of the 28i models. Once NHTSA goes ahead and post it up then I'll file a report but until then I can't file a report on a model that I don't even have.
Appreciate 1
      11-06-2019, 02:53 PM   #117
TheBigP
Enlisted Member
Rep

Just want to add my voice to this thread. I actually joined just so I could comment here. I too was looking at different things when test driving the car (in my case, choosing between the 19s and 20s), so the little delay wasn't perceptible (and probably wouldn't have had me change my mind anyway...). When I first started feeling the delay, I told myself (and my son) that I needed to learn how to drive the car. The delay then the jerky acceleration was embarrassing and unsafe in the ways already described, but I thought it was just a "touch" issue and I would figure it out. No such luck. I agree with most of the observations others have have shared but I can't say I have a sense of the root problem. I don't know what transmission decoupling is, but it sure does feel like it's still in 2nd gear as you slowly drift through a turning stop, and then has no idea what's happening when you give the accelerator a little thrust. I'd guess it's all ECU programming, since I had similar (but far lesser) issues on my last two X1 35i vehicles that improved dramatically when I did the Dinan flash tune. For now, I've used Bimmercode to disable the auto start/stop and to begin in sport mode, but (as others have said) the problem is still there (it's just more responsive. and fun, as a rule). The pedal tuner seems a bit inelegant to me and at least one user suggested this specific problem didn't disappear, so I guess I/we are just going to have to wait until somebody with a proven track record releases something that tightens things up. However, in case BMW actually monitors threads like these for real-world feedback, I wanted to put my experience in writing for the record...
Appreciate 3
DAC17170.50
CSBM52695.50
      11-06-2019, 04:48 PM   #118
El Greco DC
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: ‘19 X2 M35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBigP View Post
Just want to add my voice to this thread. I actually joined just so I could comment here. I too was looking at different things when test driving the car (in my case, choosing between the 19s and 20s), so the little delay wasn't perceptible (and probably wouldn't have had me change my mind anyway...). When I first started feeling the delay, I told myself (and my son) that I needed to learn how to drive the car. The delay then the jerky acceleration was embarrassing and unsafe in the ways already described, but I thought it was just a "touch" issue and I would figure it out. No such luck. I agree with most of the observations others have have shared but I can't say I have a sense of the root problem. I don't know what transmission decoupling is, but it sure does feel like it's still in 2nd gear as you slowly drift through a turning stop, and then has no idea what's happening when you give the accelerator a little thrust. I'd guess it's all ECU programming, since I had similar (but far lesser) issues on my last two X1 35i vehicles that improved dramatically when I did the Dinan flash tune. For now, I've used Bimmercode to disable the auto start/stop and to begin in sport mode, but (as others have said) the problem is still there (it's just more responsive. and fun, as a rule). The pedal tuner seems a bit inelegant to me and at least one user suggested this specific problem didn't disappear, so I guess I/we are just going to have to wait until somebody with a proven track record releases something that tightens things up. However, in case BMW actually monitors threads like these for real-world feedback, I wanted to put my experience in writing for the record...
Thank you so much for posting this. I really hope BMWUSA reads these forums as you suggest.
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2019, 07:20 PM   #119
xcelir8bmw
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW M240ix

With the BMS in Orange, Red 2, and in Sport mode I DO NOT have the issue.
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2019, 08:46 PM   #120
m630
Major
Rep
Drives: '22 X4M Comp / ‘22 X3 / f136

Garage List
‘22 X4MC  [0.00]
Reading this thread and following it for some time, its surprising to hear others experience. As some have followed, I had the first ordered car in NY and possibly overall in the US so I have the earliest of builds and do not experience any issues.

But, my driving setting are 100% using sport and manually shifting every gear every single time. With this, i find the car very fun and aggressive in most situations....now im coming from an F80 which had almost no turbo lag in 99% of daily driving conditions so this is my measure, and my only slight displeasure is the slight turbo lag in 1st gear which is not surprising and not unmanageable, and im sure will improve with a tune at some point in this engines lifecycle.
But i have no transmission issues, no throttle issues, nothing at all as the car has become more fun to drive as ive gotten familiar with the performance and know what it takes to move with ease thru traffic, so its unfortunate what some are reporting.

I would suggest those with the issue to try to put in sport and shift manually for a few days and see if you still feel the same issue, and target what may be causing it. Hopefully its software related and can be re-tuned, its such a fun car...

Last edited by m630; 11-06-2019 at 09:28 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2019, 10:26 AM   #121
rice_rocket88
Major
No_Country
Rep
Drives: E60 F48 F39

Quote:
Originally Posted by xcelir8bmw View Post
With the BMS in Orange, Red 2, and in Sport mode I DO NOT have the issue.
I'm running the BMS Orange and I did experience the slight delay yesterday once again. It was a lot less pronounced now with the BMS, but there was still a noticeable delay that I was actually thinking "not again". Still the pedal tuner is a major improvement that I'm not going to worry about it too much. I am certain that this could be "tuned out" with software updates. I also run on sport mode 99% of the time. It is definitely better every step.. ie comfort to sport to sport manual mode. Having owned a bunch of different cars including BMW's this is definitely a thing on our X1 and my X2 m35i that is different. Most of it could certainly be adjusted by driving. Ie giving myself even more time to turn so going slow is acceptable, but that's just not my style. Most pronounced is coming down in speed.. getting ready to take that left, and there's a good enough gap you try to ease the throttle in to turn and it's just not going anywhere. Then it's followed by vicious acceleration when the car finally does it's thing because you're already pushing the gas pedal down.. and even further because it's not moving so that probably the throttle is already down 20-30% or more when it actually gets going rather than the 5% you would like it to start going nicely and steadily accelerate.
Appreciate 1
      11-07-2019, 10:44 AM   #122
billnchristy
Major
Rep
Drives: 2022 M440xi GC

Garage List
If I’m turning and want to get on it at the apex I just kick over to sport trans
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2019, 06:40 PM   #123
DAC17
Long live BMW M's!
Rep
Drives: 2023 CT5-V

It shouldn't make one iota of difference if this occurs in normal, sport or whatever. It shouldn't occur in any mode. I'm also hoping BMW reads these forums, and I'm going to send a note to BMW Corporate to let them know that this is a common issue. It shouldn't feel like it does.
Appreciate 1
CSBM52695.50
      11-08-2019, 12:26 PM   #124
spdandpwr
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW X3 M Comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by m630 View Post
Reading this thread and following it for some time, its surprising to hear others experience. As some have followed, I had the first ordered car in NY and possibly overall in the US so I have the earliest of builds and do not experience any issues.

But, my driving setting are 100% using sport and manually shifting every gear every single time. With this, i find the car very fun and aggressive in most situations....now im coming from an F80 which had almost no turbo lag in 99% of daily driving conditions so this is my measure, and my only slight displeasure is the slight turbo lag in 1st gear which is not surprising and not unmanageable, and im sure will improve with a tune at some point in this engines lifecycle.
But i have no transmission issues, no throttle issues, nothing at all as the car has become more fun to drive as ive gotten familiar with the performance and know what it takes to move with ease thru traffic, so its unfortunate what some are reporting.

I would suggest those with the issue to try to put in sport and shift manually for a few days and see if you still feel the same issue, and target what may be causing it. Hopefully its software related and can be re-tuned, its such a fun car...
NICE! I too am coming from an F80 and live in the NY / LI area. We have a local Tri-State BMW F80 group that gets together often if you're interested. There's even a WhatsApp chat group
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2019, 09:50 AM   #125
//TMT
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X2 M35i, 2005 Volvo V50T5

I've been trying to reproduce this in mine, and I can only get it to possibly happen in one situation. From a stop, if I release the brake and let the car creep forward, and it gets going maybe 1 or 2 mph, then indeed the throttle has some noticeable lag. But only then. From a dead stop or when modulating the throttle, it goes immediately, or close to it.

I don't think this is a transmission problem at all, at least in mine. As mentioned earlier, the engine doesn't respond, so it really seems to be originating in the DME.

I rarely drive in traffic (lucky me eh) so honestly I had hardly noticed it. I'll give it more attention in future.
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2019, 06:01 AM   #126
*bimmervibe
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: X3 M40

I'm seriously considering a X2 m35 but these issues sounds like a big concern.

Do you guys think is an issue with the majority of X2 or just some? I test drove 2 x2 m35 so far. The first time it was a real blast as I was pushing it in sport mode and didn't feel any lag. The second time it was fun too, the only lag I felt was a tiny lag on shifting from 3rd to 4th gear using the paddles. It just happened ones so I didn't think much about it but know I'm wondering if it is related to what you are all experiencing.

I really want a fun suv to drive for my wife and the X3 m40 is just above what I'm willing to spend.

With all the issues you guys are having would you have gotten an X3 30i instead?
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2019, 07:56 AM   #127
xcelir8bmw
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW M240ix

X2 is much more nimble than X3. Drove quite a few and that is why X2 is the keeper.
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2019, 08:32 AM   #128
//TMT
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X2 M35i, 2005 Volvo V50T5

Quote:
Originally Posted by fanekstudio View Post
Do you guys think is an issue with the majority of X2 or just some?
With all the issues you guys are having would you have gotten an X3 30i instead?
We don't know how many, or even why. Personally I think it has to do with the conditions rather than the cars, i.e. it's something they all might do. But many of us either don't experience it much, or don't find it intrusive. Strongly suggest you go with your experience.

Regarding X3 I'd never consider it due to size and everything that goes with it. Totally different car IMO. I went with the car that "spoke" to me.
Appreciate 1
      11-15-2019, 10:09 AM   #129
mplsx2m35i
Rep
Drives: BMW X2 m35i

Mine is being delivered around December 1 (still at the port, been there all week!) I went back and test drove a X2 M35i just to understand how much an issue this is.

You can definitely make it happen. Not all the time but it is pretty consistent in comfort mode, by decelerating to slow rolling speed, like around 5 mph or less, and then pressing the accelerator. Sometimes you can be about 25% down before any reaction.

I am still getting the M35i. It is meets my needs of having a fun sporty small car that is city friendly but can still carry stuff heading to the cabin.

Being from Minneapolis I am used to feathering the accelerator in our winters due to snow and ice. I foresee doing this in traffic to minimize the non-linear throttle response in these situations, or keep it in sport mode.

I asked the BMW salesperson and sales manager to report this issue to BMW, and pointed out the safety issue of making a left turn against traffic. I want BMW to be on notice in case anyone gets in an accident. The sales person did read this thread.
Appreciate 2
CSBM52695.50
      11-15-2019, 11:43 AM   #130
TheBigP
Enlisted Member
Rep

You bring up a great point regarding winter driving. An unresponsive throttle situation combined with instant over-the -top acceleration is not a good recipe for confident driving in snow and ice conditions. I hadn't even gotten that far in the thought process and learning curve to consider that aspect, even though I just picked-up my winter tire/wheel combo set yesterday...
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2019, 12:34 PM   #131
King_Leonard
Private First Class
Rep

For me, the brand, size and performance of the m35i perfectly matched my needs and expectations for a vehicle at this price point.

The drivetrain issues we have been discussing in this thread are annoying to say the least, but I am glad I purchased mine and hope to keep it for a long while.

Perhaps the solution might be to increase the stationary throttle input in COMFORT mode so that once we release the brake at a complete stop, there is a slight forward movement. Similar to what happens in SPORT mode, but not as abrupt.

Again, I don't know if this is simply a software update to the accelerator controller or whether they need to tweak the engagement/disengagement of the torque converter. Fuck, I'm willing to consult for BMW for free if needed to get this issue resolved.

As a side note, I only use ECO mode when parking in tight spaces.
Appreciate 1
      11-15-2019, 01:20 PM   #132
*bimmervibe
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: X3 M40

I guess if a lot of you would still get it again even with these issues it means that you really like it and BMW didn't completely messed up!
Appreciate 0