BMW
X1 / X2
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW X1 (F48) and X2 (F39) Forums General BMW X2 Forum (F39) BMW X2 - 6 Month Review - Drive, Power, Programming, Tuning, Aftermarket

08-16-2018, 12:45 AM   #1
BlueX2
Enlisted Member
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW X2 2018 - xdrive 28i

BMW X2 - 6 Month Review - Drive, Power, Programming, Tuning, Aftermarket

BIMMERPOST
     Featured on BIMMERPOST.com
Hi,

Thought I'd share my experiences with the X2 as a daily city driven car and everything I've looked into so far. I've owned the car as of early March 2018 and was told from BMW Canada I was the first in all of Canada to take ownership. As part of the early adopter I knew I'd have some extra and missing perks that might be avaialble in the next production run of the car.

The model I have is a 2018 BMW X2 X-Drive 28i in Misano Blue, on 20" wheels and Pirelli P ZERO tires. The car is fully loaded as part of the exclusive launch package minus the auto driving cruise control (not sure if it is available in Canada). Surprisingly my car can auto park itself too (I am too paranoid to use this and end up parking myself, but have used it on the test drive vehicle)

More images on my instagram
https://www.instagram.com/blueistooawesome/

Exterior:
When I first saw the X2 from online pictures I was kinda turned off from the car and when I saw it in person I still felt the same way. I still went on the test drive to see if it would be a car that would fit several of my requirements of a car and wasn't completely sold because I thought the gold was off and the grey paint on the lower trims took away from the car. I asked to see the blue model and when I opened up the door to see the model I instantly fell in love with the look.

The blue model I was shown had the body of the UK's X-Sport model, but had the guts of the X-Drive model (a perk for me living in a city that has to deal with snow). The model removed the ugly grey paint on the lower trims of the car and replaced it with the body color and it makes the car look more like what a person would consider to be a sports activity vehicle, as per BMW.

I have kept my car detailed whenever there is a stretch of sunshine available and I have been stopped several times in the city, about once every two weeks, and am asked what kind of car is it (debadged it), how beautiful of a car it is, how the blue color looks amazing and vibrant, how they thought this car originally looked ugly until they saw mine, and several other compliments. The blue color that BMW chose is every so slightly darker than the BMW roundel blue. It really pops in day light and in the dark with city lights hitting it is always a head turner for anyone around it.

What strikes me as odd is that I haven't seen another X2 with the X-Sport styling yet. I know that it was only available in white and blue, but all the ones I have seen were the base models or always had that ugly grey lower trim. I've been to my dealership several times and even checked auto trader to see if they had anything in my spec to no avail. Feels good knowing that I have a rare model in the city.

Also the rear BMW roundel on the C pillar does make people do a double take on the car as they walk by it. I've heard things like "OMG it's a BMW" to people realizing it's a BMW and taking a slow walk by the car to look at it. I haven't had a person say that the C pillar roundel looks out of place yet (I actively ask people when they want to know more about the car).

Since I was an early production launch adopter my car cannot be retrofitted with rails because a part that was missing which was added in the later production models. I'm forced to go without rails and go aftermarket which I will list below.

I've also noticed that my wheels are different from the M Sport X models. I've got a solid black finish whereas the other models have a matte dark grey tone to it. There is also a slight difference in that the finish is not broken on the outermost part of the wheel whereas the other models are broken by a black bar.
Also the areas where I was supposed to receive that ugly grey is replaced with black finishes.

The Drive:
This is probably one of my biggest musts in a car. It has to drive fun... and it continues to put a smile on my face. My model is fitted with 20" wheels and Pirelli P ZEROS and I exclusively drive in sport mode unless I'm parking or am in horrible heavy rain/snow conditions. It has enough low end torque to get me off the line nice and fast between stop light to spot light in the city and handles the best out of all of the BMW X line up. It feels closer to a F30 3 series drive feel than it does to any of the X models. It does have slight body roll, but just enough to take the sting out of pot holes while still maintaining confidence around nice speedy turns. This car will keep your enjoyment up when you want it to when you just want to have a good rip through the city or windy canyon style roads. It's pretty nimble for it's size and can zip in and out of traffic with a feel between the 2 series and 3 series.

The steering isn't like classic BMW, but have really been dialing it closer and closer with every revision. The steering in sport mode is closer to an 2016-2018 M2 in sport mode (not the new M2 Competition because I don't know how that drives). It has the right amount of heaviness, direct input, and road feel to know exactly where your tires are pointed. At high speed long highway drives it's perfect without having to micro correct the wheel and at bends and corners it's so direct and perfectly responsive to road.

Whatever the engineers did to the drive feel for this car they really nailed it perfectly. This is the fun driving SAV that BMW. I've been on the fence about doing lower springs, coilovers, or air suspension because of how well the drive feels. It's just a super fun car to drive.

The Power:
As stated before in the drive section, I drive exclusively in sport mode. The reason behind this is because I prefer my cars to be as responsive as possible to my inputs especially in the throttle. This little four cylinder turbo can really give you some quick off the line and slow speed pulls but when you're at highway speed and wanting to overtake there is a delay before the boost kicks in. Now it isn't a six cylinder straight six, but for everyday city car it's perfect as the torque comes on low and fast. If I lived in the rural areas I'd definitely want more power in this car for longer pull power accross the band. Now by no means do I think this car is a slouch versus the competitions compact/small sized SUVs but is considered the best in it's class in my opinion (except the GLA 63 AMG, but that will cost you about $10k more [*don't quote me on that]). If BMW does announce the X2 M35i I think that would fulfill every want and need from an SUV for several people who want more power but until then... I think I'll just tune this engine for more power (see below for tuning)

Now for comfort mode... it's ok.. my wife drives it in comfort exclusive and I only use it when I am parking to make the steering wheel less heavy and get accurate lighter throttle response. I can't drive in comfort mode unless road conditions are terrible. It drives surprisingly really well in terrible conditions with the Pirelli P ZEROS on. There was a pretty bad ice storm that happened and it delivered the correct amount of power needed at every hairy situation and X-Drive helped a lot. Other than that... it's sports mode all the time.

Interior:
My model came with black leather seats with blue stitching with a aluminum hexagon trim with matte blue highlight. I have the new heads up display paired up with the latest version of iDrive which has been clear as day but with some issues with polarized sunglasses. A simple tilt of the head will make it so that you can see the HUD as a tip. I have a panoramic sunroof which will only open up the first part of the sunroof and not pull back both glass panels. The sunroof does cut into the rear headroom space, but I've had a six foot friend in the back seat with no issues and some room to spare.

The space is deceivingly larger than what you'd expect in this segment of micro/small SUVs. The only one comparable or possibly even larger is the Honda one. The extra storage space you get from under the trunk is massive and can carry an emergency kit, air pump, detailing supplies, towels, extra blanket, large golf umbrellas, brush and snow scraper, extra pair of shoes, and a small knapsack. No joking.. all of that can fit just in the bottom trunk space.

You can fit two large suitcases or 4 small carry on luggages in the main trunk space without the seats folded down. I was able to fit two snowboards and a pair of skis through the middle 40/20/40 split rear seats while still having passengers seated comfortably on both sides. It's pretty identical to the X1 in size except head room. I am personally a small short person at 5'4 and it pretty much fits like a glove for me for space. I've had my friends drive my car at 6'+ and they had no issues and actually loved how low you can put the seats. Not quite 3 series low, but still nowhere near as the other X line up BMW has.

Harmon Kardon nailed it with this car. The acoustics with audio are just so spot on. I think close to what the 3/4 series has.. but definitely not M2/2 series/X3/x4. The cabin is super quiet.. too quiet for my liking, but I've always preferred to hear everything around me including my engine. If you're the person who likes that quiet ride.. then this will definitely meet your requirement. There is so much sound insulation on this car that road noise is kept to a minimum. This is where luxury hits the SUV line up.

For those wondering what the best mats you can get are (especially for those that deal with snow), look into getting TuxMat. I went with the BMW one at first but they didn't cover up much.. went with WeatherTech and they didn't cover up much more than the BMW ones. The WeatherTech ones went up an inch or two and didn't even cover the middle hump in the rear. TuxMat provided full coverage on all carpeted areas and had clips to help secure them down. In the winter I usually end up dragging in a lot of dirt and mud from snowboarding so max coverage is necessary to keep my car clean and dry.

Tuning/Mods:
I haven't done anything yet, but poke around. I'm ultra interested in getting additional power and will be talking to a few local shops to see what they can provide. I'm hoping to get the tune with a new intake and exhaust but I may save that for next spring to see what is available in the market since there are very few manufactures out there that have anything. I'm still waiting on Dinan to come out with something but Burger Tuning got back to me and said with the JB4 they can get up to 40HP to the wheels (50HP crank) completely stock on pump gas. I'm also hoping to get a tune that won't really cause any issues with warranty or any service intervals so I've gotta do my homework on that still. Supersprint has them available, but I'm waiting till I can get someone with a video/audio before making the purchase.

I looked into getting the exhaust flap to stay open always but had issues with my low end torque go missing. There was no golf tee for this. It was simply removal of the pin and get some wire to hold the flap open. It wasn't pretty, but it worked. Drove with it for a day with no engine light and ended up reverting the work because I wanted the power back.

I have a BMS intake and originally had a few CEL pop up, but redid the installation and drove it for a bit and it went away. Sounds much better than stock, but I reverted it back and am going to wait on an exhaust and tune to put it back in. Besides I get free filters as part of the free maintenance so I'll take advantage of that for now.

I'm not sure how I feel about the reflector deletes yet. I may just smoke them, but if anyone wants to delete them here are the links
Front reflectors: https://ind-distribution.com/product?sku=IND-F39-FREF
Rear reflectors: https://ind-distribution.com/product?sku=IND-F39-RREF

If you want a fully blacked out grill here is the link: https://ind-distribution.com/product?sku=IND-F39-FG

Programming:
So a few things that bug me about the car is that with minor stuff with the programming the car will be perfect. So any Bimmer Tech people out there.. if you're reading this, here is a check list of items for you.
- Unable to disable/save last settings for auto start/stop feature. (it will always revert back to default off after. Dealership said they can't fix it.. GG)
- No power trunk close via the key fob
- No option to open up the valve for the exhaust pipe. (Also doesn't open. I've had a GoPro attached to check and it has never opened from streets to highway for 45mins)
- Can't disable dimming mirror
- high beams turn off the fog lights
- indicator lights on hud
- Doesn't remember last used heating for steering wheel or seats
- Disclaimer removal
- Active noise on/off and increase the volume (helps with knowing when to change gears manually since I can barely hear the engine)
- increase the seat heating temperatures
- Tire pressure live PSI may not be accurate. I've had to check my tire pressure on four different devices to verify, but when I lost 6-7 PSI on my tires from the iDrive menu it was showing a variance of +5 PSI from the menu. I haven't gone back to dealership to ask about this one yet.)

So I finally got around to programming my car. Looks like I was able to knock out a few things with Bimmercode.
- Tire pressure now shows tire temps
- Disclaimer removal
- Video in motion (didn't really test it since it doesn't do MKV codecs)
- Closing the trunk with the key fob
- Heated seats are now hotter (Canadian winters can be a pain sometimes)
- AC and Heated seats now remember the last setting forever
- M animation on startup for iDrive
- start stop last setting memory is now set to save.. .FINALLY
- Car is set to start in sport mode by default
- high beams do not turn off fog lights

If anyone finds out how to change the following I'd love to get some info on how you were able to do it
- active noise to a different engine (sucks to not hear my engine properly)
- exhaust flap control (open/closed)
- get MKVs to work in Video in motion
- options for the heating temperatures for the heated steering wheel

Oil @ 5000 KM:

I've had my oil changed by a local BMW mechanic and was surprised to see a new model car come in so early. Now as per my free scheduled maintenance intervals with BMW they wanted me to come in at 10,000 KM for service on the new car. Now call me old school, but I decided I wanted to know more about my car and not take that chance with such a late maintenance window for my oil and swapped out the oil at 5000 km. I also took a sample and sent it off to Blackstone Labs to see what is actually going on with the engine and I'll go with their recommendation on intervals and to see if there are any odd metal shavings or contaminants that I should be aware of. Listed below is what they said for the comments on the car.

"Congrats on the new BMW! Wear metals tested a bit high in this sample, but that's to be expected for the first sample out of a new engine. The metals come from wear-in and the silicon is from sealers. Look for lot of improvement as this material washes out of the engine over the next few oil changes. The viscosity tested in the 5W/20 range, and no fuel dilution, water, or coolant was present. The TBN read 2.8, showing a bit of active additive left (a reading of 1.0 or less is low). Our averages are based on 9,200 km. Try up to 7,000 km for next time."

The image below are the full details from the oil sample I sent in. If anyone wants to tell me something about this more so than what Blackstone Labs told me I'm all ears.

Summary:
I love this car. Not only does it look amazing and turns heads, but it drives amazing too. I'll admit that the engine could use more power to add to the fun factor, but that can be said about nearly every car. If you're in the market for a fun spirited mini suv then look no further... that is... until they come out with the X2 M35i.

Anyhow... it's late.. I'm tired... I've probably got spelling errors, formatting issues, etc in this but you get the idea. If anyone has questions I'll try to answer them as best as possible. Good night

Last edited by BlueX2; 09-15-2018 at 10:34 AM.. Reason: Programming Updated - Used BimmerCode
Appreciate 8
JustChris17423.00
MOEDARE140.00
MJE60678.00
      08-16-2018, 09:35 AM   #2
E90 87ss
Captain
Rep
Drives: !

Nice write up and color.

Did the tune, coding, exhaust flap, tow hook license plate already. Intake and exhaust seem like a waste on this setup in my opinion. I can't imagine this engine ever sounding too great and the intake being restrictive.

The more expensive tunes seem to have diminishing returns relative to the price and since we are all under warranty I don't think it's worth the effort.

I'm on the fence on blacked out grill, but overpriced from the link you provided, cheaper to dip it or have it painted in my opinion.

Agree on the storage, pretty good for a small suv, i use it as my work vehicle and throw all my gear in it.

I do enjoy this car quite a bit, handling is great for what it is.
      08-16-2018, 02:36 PM   #3
bimmerdriver2
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2C DCT

Garage List
The dealership where I bought my X2 also had one of these launch vehicles in the same colour as yours. I did a double take on it because I wasn't expecting to see an M sport model in Canada. It looks good.

This is the first I've heard that opening passenger side exhaust valve has a negative affect on low-end torque. I thought it was only for noise. FYI, the JB4 has a setting to block the valve open.

How are the tires in snow? Personally, I really dislike these tires. I find them to be very noisy and harsh over discontinuities in the pavement. (I'm coming from Michelin PS2 and Continental ExtremeContact DW on my M3.) I also find that the X2 suspension is quite noisy over potholes, as if the rebound damping is insufficient.

I ordered an OBD ENET cable, but I haven't had a chance to set up my laptop for programming. I plan to make some of the same changes you did.
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2018, 04:31 PM   #4
Lucky13
Lucky13
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 M235 manual, 2020 X3 30X

It looks so much better with the body color cladding, BMW marketing really made a big mistake uglyfying it with the silver or black cladding. I’d even pay a couple hundred extra as an option just to delete the cladding.
1995 325i, 1996 328ci, 1997 528i, 1997 Z3 2.8, 2000 528i, 2001 X5 3.0, 2001 330i Convertible, 2002 M3 Convertible, 2003 M3 Coupe, 2004 M3 Coupe, 2004 Z4 3.0, 2004 X3 3.0, 2007 X3 3.0, 2007 335i Convertible, 2013 X1 28 sdrive, 2014 M235 manual, 2020 X3 30i Xdrive
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2018, 08:07 PM   #5
bimmerdriver2
First Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by E90 87ss View Post
Nice write up and color.

Did the tune, coding, exhaust flap, tow hook license plate already. Intake and exhaust seem like a waste on this setup in my opinion. I can't imagine this engine ever sounding too great and the intake being restrictive.

The more expensive tunes seem to have diminishing returns relative to the price and since we are all under warranty I don't think it's worth the effort.

I'm on the fence on blacked out grill, but overpriced from the link you provided, cheaper to dip it or have it painted in my opinion.

Agree on the storage, pretty good for a small suv, i use it as my work vehicle and throw all my gear in it.

I do enjoy this car quite a bit, handling is great for what it is.
Did you notice any reduction in torque when you blocked the exhaust flap open?
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2018, 08:39 PM   #6
BlueX2
Enlisted Member
Canada
Rep

Quote:
I'd love to hear your feedback on the JB+ tune you had done.

Also the intake and exhaust was more to be able to hear my engine again vs performance gains.. that is if I could get a good exhaust note and I'd be dreaming if I got some pops and burbles in. lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmerdriver2 View Post
How are the tires in snow? Personally, I really dislike these tires. I find them to be very noisy and harsh over discontinuities in the pavement. (I'm coming from Michelin PS2 and Continental ExtremeContact DW on my M3.) I also find that the X2 suspension is quite noisy over potholes, as if the rebound damping is insufficient.

I ordered an OBD ENET cable, but I haven't had a chance to set up my laptop for programming. I plan to make some of the same changes you did.
The Pirelli P ZERO tires performed okish... but I had to drive on some pretty horrible wet and icey conditions once. I could feel the back end give way sometimes, but the AWD would kick in so quickly which would give me back some traction and center my car again.

I say okish because there was a small wet snow/icey hill that I had issues climbing but that is where winter tires shine vs any summer/all season tire. I live in southern Ontario, Canada and we get our fair share of all types of snow and would rather spend the money on good snow tires than to use these Pirelli tires. Big fan of Bridgestone Blizzak and am on the fence with running run flats or not since I can just toss a spare in the back and I've got free road side assistance services for the next few years with the purchase of my car.

Potholes are a pain.. but that goes for any car. I think it's a combo of the suspension being stiff, the run flat tires, and the 20" wheels. I'm sure when I get my winters on (probably 18s) and going non run flat tires it would take the sting out. But that being said.... it isn't that terrible versus an M series suspension.

As far as road noise goes, I'll agree that it is there, but in comparison to the other mini suv the X2 has one of the least road noise. The other luxury brands were probably comparable or quieter but the non luxury brands were simply horrible in comparison. The amount of insulation added to the cabin is about an inch thick in areas and if there was a non-run flat option that would definitely get rid of some noise.

The programming part you read was more about issues I'm currently facing with the car that I'd like to have addressed. I'm still new to BMW programming but if you manage to do it with your X2 I'd love to hear all about the issues you would be able to resolve doing so.
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2018, 10:30 PM   #7
bimmerdriver2
First Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueX2 View Post
The Pirelli P ZERO tires performed okish... but I had to drive on some pretty horrible wet and icey conditions once. I could feel the back end give way sometimes, but the AWD would kick in so quickly which would give me back some traction and center my car again.

I say okish because there was a small wet snow/icey hill that I had issues climbing but that is where winter tires shine vs any summer/all season tire. I live in southern Ontario, Canada and we get our fair share of all types of snow and would rather spend the money on good snow tires than to use these Pirelli tires. Big fan of Bridgestone Blizzak and am on the fence with running run flats or not since I can just toss a spare in the back and I've got free road side assistance services for the next few years with the purchase of my car.

Potholes are a pain.. but that goes for any car. I think it's a combo of the suspension being stiff, the run flat tires, and the 20" wheels. I'm sure when I get my winters on (probably 18s) and going non run flat tires it would take the sting out. But that being said.... it isn't that terrible versus an M series suspension.

As far as road noise goes, I'll agree that it is there, but in comparison to the other mini suv the X2 has one of the least road noise. The other luxury brands were probably comparable or quieter but the non luxury brands were simply horrible in comparison. The amount of insulation added to the cabin is about an inch thick in areas and if there was a non-run flat option that would definitely get rid of some noise.

The programming part you read was more about issues I'm currently facing with the car that I'd like to have addressed. I'm still new to BMW programming but if you manage to do it with your X2 I'd love to hear all about the issues you would be able to resolve doing so.
I'm surprised the Pirelli tires were driveable in such conditions. I've never been able to get out of the driveway with summer tires on my other cars.

I have Michelin PA4 winter tires for my M3. I doubt I be using them again, because it's going to be spending winters in the garage now that I have the X2. The PA4 is a fantastic tire. It has decent traction on snow and slush, but still handles quite well for a winter tire. I guess that's why so many of its available sizes are Porsche specific. I don't need a really serious winter tire on the M3 because it's so low, it ploughs if the snow is more than a few inches deep.

I will be looking for a similar winter tire for the X2, but the choices are limited due to the tire size. (Next to the horrible shift lever on the X2, the thing I dislike the most is the tire size.) The standard Pirelli is the only tire available in that size. The situation doesn't get much better if you go for a smaller wheel.

The X2 clunks more harshly over potholes than my M3 and it has stiffly sprung coil-overs. Either it's the run flat tires or there is something really strange about the damping, or more likely a combination of both.
Appreciate 1
      08-16-2018, 11:27 PM   #8
E90 87ss
Captain
Rep

Quote:
I'd love to hear your feedback on the JB+ tune you had done.

Also the intake and exhaust was more to be able to hear my engine again vs performance gains.. that is if I could get a good exhaust note and I'd be dreaming if I got some pops and burbles in. lol
Tune is great, easy to install and remove. No adverse effects so far. I ran the same in the 235i. Love the extra power, makes the vehicle more driveable. I ordered the unit before I took delivery of the vehicle since I felt it was necessary for daily driving/merging.

No adverse effects on the flap, I highly doubt a valve at the end of the exhaust system can affect power in my opinion, but I could be wrong.

I would love if this engine could sound a little meaner, but I think you would have to go with a custom exhaust setup and choose a good sounding muffler. I hear you on the intake.

For coding, just purchase the app and obdii connector (bimmercode or carly) I did bimmer code. Coded most of the stuff you previously mentioned in 20 minutes.

Also removed the front grille today in between appointments, what a pain.
      08-17-2018, 01:43 AM   #9
guthrie
Rep
Drives: X2

Quote:
Programming:
So a few things that bug me about the car is that with minor stuff with the programming the car will be perfect. So any Bimmer Tech people out there.. if you're reading this, here is a check list of items for you.

- Disclaimer removal

By "Disclaimer removal" do you mean the safety warnings when you start the car?

You can definitely get rid of these using BimmerCode (I've done it on my X2).

Last edited by guthrie; 08-17-2018 at 02:00 AM..
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2018, 11:11 AM   #10
BlueX2
Enlisted Member
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmerdriver2 View Post
I'm surprised the Pirelli tires were driveable in such conditions. I've never been able to get out of the driveway with summer tires on my other cars.
Truthfully I was a little terrified driving in the horrible ice storm that came down, but the tires held well. For reference I had leather soled dress shoes on that day and I had a difficult time walking but had very little issue driving. I wasn't exactly blasting through at normal speeds, so I was driving cautiously that day. A normal 45min commute turned into a 4 hour drive (mainly due to traffic).

Also.. just hit a pretty deep pot hole this weekend and it is definitely harsh. I think it's a combo with the tires + suspension. My entire dash rattled knocking off my phone from a magnet mount. The real test will come this winter when I drive through horrible roads to different snowboarding resorts. I'll do an update when I get the winters on and drive out. I'm hoping to get a set of Blizzaks on 18s.

Quote:
Tune is great, easy to install and remove. No adverse effects so far. I ran the same in the 235i. Love the extra power, makes the vehicle more driveable. I ordered the unit before I took delivery of the vehicle since I felt it was necessary for daily driving/merging.

No adverse effects on the flap, I highly doubt a valve at the end of the exhaust system can affect power in my opinion, but I could be wrong.

I would love if this engine could sound a little meaner, but I think you would have to go with a custom exhaust setup and choose a good sounding muffler. I hear you on the intake.

For coding, just purchase the app and obdii connector (bimmercode or carly) I did bimmer code. Coded most of the stuff you previously mentioned in 20 minutes.
That sounds great! I'll pick up the JB+ and get a OBDII connector from bimmercode sometime in the fall. I'll redo the tests to see how if there are any issues with the low end with the flap torque post tune. Hopefully it'll fill the gap of performance I'm missing.

As far as meaner sounding.. I'm hoping that someone can upload a clip from their exhaust to hear what it would sound like. I've asked SuperSprint but haven't heard back from them and I'm not big on gambling on exhausts because I really don't want to be that guy who has a $3k exhaust kit and sounds like a fart can.
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2018, 08:12 PM   #11
BlueX2
Enlisted Member
Canada
Rep

Updated a few sections:
- Exterior Update (Wheels)
- Interior Update (Floor Mats)
- Added the Oil section

If there is anything you want to know shoot me a message and I'll answer.
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2018, 03:46 PM   #12
E90 87ss
Captain
Rep

Thanks for the oil analysis, I may consider a premature oil change based on your results.
      09-11-2018, 10:06 AM   #13
Aaaaaaaaa
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: The other M3

Came here from the Front Page. That is all.
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2018, 10:15 AM   #14
raysspl
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: walking, bicycle, & bus

Awesome write-up & feedback. Am considering this too later on.

Are you considering the X2 M35i now that it's official?
      09-11-2018, 10:31 AM   #15
F85MTuNED
IG: @88jae88
Rep
Drives: ///Ⓜ️

I currently have one as my loaner car and I'm not gonna lie I am extremely impressed! The wife likes it so I'll probably pick one up for her in the future but I wouldn't mind driving it at all.
Attached Images

09-11-2018, 10:59 AM   #16
M3BeamerVroom
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3 Azurite Black

Great in depth review!
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2018, 11:27 AM   #17
ProperBimmer
Banned
Rep
Drives: 15 X5, 14 335

Have an X2 as a loaner.....everything from the shitty seats to the base model pricing at 40k is absolutely terrible. This this is just as uninspiring as my 17 X1 with less usable space for my kids. So many better suv options at 40k base pricing. Screw that.
Appreciate 1
10"4946.00
      09-11-2018, 12:00 PM   #18
Tallest
Major General
Rep
Drives: 911

Garage List
2011 911  [10.00]
Wait, is this car same as x1? The FWD thing? I drove that and it was terible, cheap, plasticky box. Please tell me X2 is none of those things.
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2018, 05:08 PM   #19
BlueX2
Enlisted Member
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by raysspl View Post
Awesome write-up & feedback. Am considering this too later on.

Are you considering the X2 M35i now that it's official?
Thanks! Also after seeing the official numbers and engine specs I'm not going to be trading up for the X2 M35i. It's still the same engine just tuned, bigger front brakes, and an M exhaust kit.

With a proper tune and upgrades you can get those figures. You'll walk away with an exhaust note that sounds better and will still have money left over for more goodies.

Also if I were to trade up at any point I'd probably go to an M2. It's small, nimble around the city, and I can open her up. For now I'm holding off until next spring/summer to do the performance upgrades so I'm just driving in Sport mode + Sport manual mode to keep me happy. My wife however drives in normal mode so it's good that I haven't done anything yet for her sake. :P

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3BeamerVroom View Post
Great in depth review!
Thank you! I appreciate the positive feedback

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProperBimmer View Post
Have an X2 as a loaner.....everything from the shitty seats to the base model pricing at 40k is absolutely terrible. This this is just as uninspiring as my 17 X1 with less usable space for my kids. So many better suv options at 40k base pricing. Screw that.
As a person without children, I'll agree with you that it isn't a great family car. Getting children in those back seats can be bothersome and having the extra head room is nice as well as maybe the 1" more you get with the X1, but aside from that the trunk space is pretty much the same aside from the height.

As far as better SUV options goes that all depends on what you're looking for in a car. I wanted something to have fun with that drove great while still being able to haul stuff along for outdoor activities. I have no children and my only passenger is my wife. This car fit my check marks for that car and it was the best in the small SUV market.

If you wanted options like tech, drives like a boat, has lots of space, don't care about the engine performance... then sure. There are lots of other small SUVs in that range.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest View Post
Wait, is this car same as x1? The FWD thing? I drove that and it was terible, cheap, plasticky box. Please tell me X2 is none of those things.
Yes, it is FWD biased, and is not the X1. The interior has more soft touch plastics than a 3 series, has the 2/3/4 series electric memory seats with lumbar support, M steering wheel (super soft padded leather used), blacked out roof liner, and a slightly smaller panoramic sunroof than the X1.

The X2 drives much differently than the X1 does and can be compared to driving a 3 series. Sure it doesn't have the RWD and has slight over steer taking corners aggressively, but it's super fun to drive... especially when you compare it to the X1. The engineers who worked on the driving dynamics of the X2 really found a nice sweet spot where you'll walk away with a smile on your face. I sure do... especially since I drive in Sport mode + Sport Manual.

Give the two cars a test drive and you'll see that the differences between the X1 and X2 is night and day. I did.. and was blown away with how well it drove that I ended up buying one lol.
Appreciate 2
JustChris17423.00
      09-11-2018, 08:31 PM   #20
whitecord
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 500whp 318ti

You guys do realize your driving a mini with a bmw body and badge. Both the x1 and x2
      09-11-2018, 09:58 PM   #21
ProperBimmer
Banned
Rep
Drives: 15 X5, 14 335

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitecord View Post
You guys do realize your driving a mini with a bmw body and badge. Both the x1 and x2
Everybody knows that, the x3 is not impressive either. Only when you get to the x5 with a sticker of 55k and up do you start getting that luxury bmw feel. Hell I've had tons of short term executive GM leases on Caddy SRX's and a CT5 a few years ago, at 40-45k with caddy you are comparing to a 70k+ bmw truck.

IMO bmw suv/sav's are not worth the money at all.
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2018, 11:28 PM   #22
bimmerdriver2
First Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by whitecord View Post
This is such a tired argument. Most manufacturers share platforms across multiple models which often span wide price ranges.
Appreciate 1