BMW
X1 / X2
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW X1 (F48) and X2 (F39) Forums General BMW X1 Forum (F48) After market remote start.

10-11-2021, 02:49 PM   #1
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW X1 xdrive 28i

After market remote start.

Howdy,
Living in southern Alberta and suffering about 7 months of winter we get used to remote starts being standard in most vehicles.......but not in my 2018 - X1. Got a quote from Visions in Lethbridge for $1500 fitted........SAY WHAT ????? He said its $1000 for the electrics alone as only one company make it, plus they need the spare key fob for it to work! Any experience or advice anybody?? In the mean time I'll buy a new ice scrapper !!!
John
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2021, 04:42 PM   #2
Fredro
GOLD Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X1 xDrive Premium

Had mine done for like $2000 (USD). Eurostart, plus new key fob from the dealer ($350 USD). If you live in cold weather like NYC, it's worth it.
2020 x1 xDrive : Black Sapphire Metallic : Premium Package : Fine Wood Fineline Trim : Sport Seats : Wireless Charging : Trailer Hitch : WeatherTech Floor Lining, Cargo Mat, Bumper XL : Complete Blackout, Full Chrome Delete : BavSound Stage One Speaker & Ghost Subwoofer Upgrade : EuroStart Remote Engine Start : Heko Rain Guards
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2021, 09:25 PM   #3
///Makis
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 128i

There was a kit I had seen on IG for $800+ if I recall correctly that offered remote start and you didn't need to sacrifice a keyfob. But I can't find it or recall the name.

You did need to cut and splice some wires I think that went from the brake pedal and to some fancy box that was tucked under the steering wheel area. Not 100% sure on all that, but I had contacted them and they said it would work for a 2013 bmw 1 series. The 2018 x1 is obviously different so it might be the case that you will need to sacrifice a key fob. Personal opinion, if you live in that cold of weather, I would bite the bullet and do it. I go outside and start my car around 15 minutes before I finish getting ready, and we don't even get that bad of weather in NJ, but for you it would definitely help getting the snow off if the car is warm.

Weigh the pros and cons and if it makes sense, go for it and report back. But do your research because you may find a cheaper or better alternative that doesn't require screwing up a keyfob which costs half as much as the remote start.

I googled the Eurostart kit and it looks pretty good and good functionality, and if you can start the car from your phone, that's pretty awesome too.

If you do please update this because I'm interested in just not interested in being the guinea pig 😂
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2021, 10:19 PM   #4
Private
Rep

Yeah - I've seen a place in Calgary called ZR Auto they specialize in European cars and sports cars, on there website they quote $1200.
I might phone them this week.
Thanks for the interest and input.
John
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2021, 08:23 PM   #5
Private
Rep

Here's a thought - can I not get a software update to give me OEM remote start via my phone like the newer models cheaper than actually adding a box, key and wiring!!
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2021, 09:16 PM   #6
///Makis
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 128i

Quote:
Originally Posted by 24448640 View Post
Here's a thought - can I not get a software update to give me OEM remote start via my phone like the newer models cheaper than actually adding a box, key and wiring!!
On an entry level bmw, I am fairly certain the answer is no. And I think you need pay for the remote bmw stuff like turning on vents and unlocking car from your phone. In theory I don't think it would be hard for bmw to do, but I think they would rather make you pay for a higher end bmw in order to get that "luxury"
Appreciate 0